[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Can I just put a bigger motor and pump on a small 20-30 gallon compressor? Why would I want a larger tank if the compressor puts out enough CFMs at the pump?
>>
>>2824434
I mean you could just go totally tankless and use an air mattress inflator for whatever you’re doing.
>>
>>2824434
Yeah, tank size doesn't matter as long as you don't go grazy with the pressure. A bigger pump will fill it faster and keep up with tools that demand a higher CFM
>>
This is the fundamental problem about compressors being sold today. It may have a jumbo 60 gal tank, but they wuss out on the pump and motor

IN THEORY. If the tool is under the CFM/SCFM requirements, tank size is irrelevant. This is leaving out limitations of whether or not it fits and duty cycle.

Giant compressors are silly for home use. They take forever to fill just to air up a tire or blow something off.
>>
>>2824434
It won’t do anything, might fill it faster but FDM bottle neck is tank

If you’re demanding crazy cam you can get a fuck huge tank and just dump it to get the cfm

Or get a fuck huge motor that’s tankless to just continuously run but this is less feasible
>>
>>2824434
>WHAAT DID YOU ASK?
>I CANT HEAR YOU THE COMPRESSOR IS RUNNING RIIIIGHT NOW

here in germany your not allowed to run loud power tools on a saturday on weekdays after 20:00 untill 07:00 or during midday from 13:00-15:00
so its nice to have a tank full of air to fill a tire or blow something of without the pump starting.
>>
>>2825205
>ruhezeit
eurocucks are such faggots. imagine importing a gorillion shitskins and you cant even make them work 2nd & 3rd shift or on sundays
>>
Depending on what you're using it for and how much your usage volume is, you may need to take the temperature and cooling ability of the tank into account. Been almost 40 years since I did thermodynamics, but IIRC a typical air compressor is adiabatic, and will raise the temperature of air by about 25C compressing it from atmospheric to 100psi. A larger tank makes for more thermal mass to absorb that, and more surface area to dissipate it. Very high CFM industrial air compressors will often feed into refrigeration/dryer units to bring down the output air temp to desired.
>>
>>2824434
You can and I did put an industrial pump and motor on a castered skid then connected it to a receiver tank and another horizontal tank compressor using red air hose and Chicago couplings.

Keep the babby compressor intact and add whatever else you like separately. The main reason for vertical tanks is floor space. Babby comp can fill babby tank quick for small jobs, big boy gets turned on for sand blasting etc.

I buy used industrial compressors and keep the 3-phase motors since I use an RPC, but for less hardcore single phase will do except motors get expensive.
>>
>>2825205
where is hitler when you need him
>>
>>2824434
>Why would I want a larger tank if the compressor puts out enough CFMs at the pump?
because it's cheaper
>>
File: rotary screw.jpg (2.93 MB, 1814x2419)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB JPG
>>2824434
>Why would I want a larger tank if the compressor puts out enough CFMs at the pump?
you wouldnt
real compressors dont have tanks at all
>>
Most tank compressors are not made to run 100% of the time.
They will eventually overheat and break.
>>
>>2825205
Haste mal versucht es einfach trotzdem zu machen? Funktioniert auf meiner Maschine
>>
Few things.

1) Find out the max RPM your pump can run at (assuming it's quality)

2) Figure out how many amps your motor is rated for

3) With some math calculations you can determine if you have the overhead to run a larger pulley (motor side) to get free additional power (it will be a bit louder, but as long as it's within that RPM limit you're good) from your pump

It's all a balance

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.