[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Estwing-Hammer.jpg (150 KB, 1200x800)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
Are there any other quality hammer brands or is estwing indeed the best?
I would prefer buying European but surprisingly, unlike wrenches, pliers or screwdrivers, there are not that many german made hammers that I know of.
>>
I have a Stanley Fat Max and it's pretty decent but yeah Estwing = Bestwing
>>
>>2824535
Vaughn, if you can find them.
>>
>>2824535
If there's one tool where """quality""" doesn't mater, it's a hammer. It has to be metal. You smash it into things. The only feature you want is one that won't break when you smash it into something really hard.
>>
>>2824535
It's a stick with something heavy on top. Get real, I'm surprised they even have brands for rudimentary "tools" like this.
>>
for me, its husky hammers at home depot. cheaper than estwing and just as good
>>
>>2824535
I buy a hammer for 1 dollar in the thrift store. Its a hammer. Not a space rocket science
>>
>>2824547
yea vaughn had massive delays (over a year for some dealers) they got bought by marshalltown a couple months but I don't know how that will change the hammers
>>
>>2824535
Halder makes fancy mallets. I always thought the Wilton mallets look nice too. And the mechanic brands have nice hammers, was tempted by some Proto ball peins recently, but none of them are really framing hammers.

Maybe Facom or Gedore or Bahco or one of the other Yuro mechanics brands has something?
>>
>>2824612
Been a while since I dealt with them, but Marshalltown usually made and carried some really good concrete/masonry tools. Hopefully they continue letting Vaughn make simple, good tools.
>>
Stiletto
>>
>>2824622
>Halder
I gave one of those fancy mallets to my father, really nice but they don't have hammers unfortunately. I wouldn't mind buying estwimg since they are quality tools but them being an american company there's a 90% chance of being jew owned and I really try my best to not put more shekels into shlomos dirty pocket unless there's no alternative.
>>
>>2824669
>Private
Wonder if it’s still in the family
>>
>>2824669
>>2824772
Might be family. Looks like the past 2 CEOs were father and son.
>>
>>2824563
t. Never uses a hammer
>>
File: image.jpg (2.32 MB, 4032x3024)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
>>2824774
I never spend a ton on hammers because I drive more screws and would go pneumatic if I was putting a lot of nails in. But if I were a framer who had it hanging off my belt 40hrs a week, I would probably go with an expensive Ti hammer because maybe it gives you an extra 5 years before your wrist sounds like a cement mixer.
>>
>>2824772
>Swedish
Based

>Still family owned
Very based.

Bahco has one I like but they unfortunately shipped their production overseas.
>>
Estwings are just all steel hammers. One solid piece, which lasts forever. There's nothing really special about them. If you have improper technique, they will fuck up your elbow.

Picard is a German brand that makes hammers. They are not cheap.
>>
>>2824612
Damn, didn't know this. It makes sense though since I noticed in the past 6-months or so that Vaughan hammers have changed in that they no longer have the brand name embossed on the hammer itself, which was probably a cost-cutting measure when Marshalltown took over?
>>
I ran a Vaughan for years when I was in carpentry and they make a fine framing hammer. I like wooden handles when I am driving nails
>>
>>2825086
Which seems odd, Cause Marshalltown was not shy about putting their name on all their products.
>>
>>2824663
This or Martinez, which one of the main guys from Stiletto left to create.

Too expensive for people who aren’t swinging a hammer every day? Yes. But if the question is about the best hammer that’s your answer
>>
File: IMG_1518.jpg (579 KB, 2000x2000)
579 KB
579 KB JPG
>>2824535
Picard. Made in Germany.
>>
>>2824774
I've build the addition to my house with a hammer. (Summer job working on friend's parent's house. I bought the house many years later.) That counts as "never" these days?
>>
>>2824535
Best professional one for a reasonable price
DeWalt DWHT51138X.
If you absolutely HAVE TO touch wood when driving nails - Milwaukee 48-22-9519
>>2824776
Not really worth it for a hobbyist, to be fair. The actual damage won't occur unless you do that for a living and do that a LOT.
t. swings a Stiletto
>>
File: 4738.jpg (35 KB, 800x475)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>2825192
Lovely. Considerably more expensive than the estwing though. The 596 is what I'm looking for.

>>2825222
>DeWalt DWHT51138X
Wtf?
>>
>>2825227
Yes that's the one.
>>
>>2824535
yeah estwing is the best. dewalt, stanley, milwaukee, husky etc all made in china shit.

>>2824971
technique doesn't matter if you're not a carpenter. and if you're a carpenter you should be swinging a wood handle hammer anyway
>>
>>2825247
Why would they press the handle and then weld the head? Poor stuff.
>>
>>2825486
The head and claw are welded on. I assume technology consideration - rolling the handle and claw, cut the head, weld it all together.

What does fail on DeWalt hammers is the tang, and usually it fails on the ones that made out of a single piece of metal. I had never seen the MIG welded one break, but I have seen several single piece of metal breaking.
>>2825332
Ask me how I know you had not been on any real jobsite in past couple of decades.
>>
>>2824776
I had this discussion with some boomers the other day. It was hilarious, because they were one step above smashing nails with rocks when it came to their hammers. I'm not a professional builder, but I understand the need for a quality tool if you use it all day every day. It's like in my world of software, developers will spend hundreds on a keyboard. Yeah, it types characters, and the shitty one that comes with every computer will work. However, at a certain point you're looking for that extra 5-10% of comfort and capability. The same with hammers. If I was a pro, you can bet I'd be after that extra bit of comfort, effectiveness, and durability.
>>
If you aren't forging a hammer yourself from steel you refined, get the fuck off DIY now. Its not DIBuy, nerd.
>>
>>2825925
If you're not posting from a computer you made out of chips you etched by hand from raw silicon, go fuck yourself, nigger.
>>
>>2825925
>>2826010
look at you two, communicating in a language you didnt even invent.
>>
full-steel hammers: Picard
dead-blow mallets: Halder
>>
>>2825904
how do you know faggot? because im not a goy nigger who uses made in china SHIT? suck my dick you fucking faggot
>>
>>2825917
I’ve seen too many boomer carpenters who can’t even make a fist anymore. Swinging a hammer for decades fucks up your hands. Dropping $200 every 5-10 years on a Ti hammer isn’t a huge price if it means you can still finger that lady you met on Tinder in your 50s. The tools you use all day are the ones where that extra 10% of performance makes a big difference at the end of the day, same reason dudes by Redwing boots that they’re standing around in >40hrs a week.

Everybody also says the Ti hammers drive nails better. I’m wondering if it’s an MV^2 thing, you’re swinging a 14oz hammer a little bit faster than the 20oz head, and that extra speed makes for an exponentially harder blow to the nail.
>>
>>2826081
Wrong, dumbass. USA made custom hammer made of titanium. Check your attitude, idiot.

>>2826171
mv^2/2 thing for sure, plus superior ergonomics. They do feel nicer to use, yet I can not really justify $150.00 price difference for a hobbyist user.
>>
>>2826187
>I can not really justify $150.00 price difference for a hobbyist user.
I agree, which is why my original post on it was a drawer of cheap hammers, the nicest being a Milwaukee that was a holiday special for $25 with a flat bar. I said “If I was a framer…”

I’ll grab a couple more pneumatic nailers before dropping $200+ on a basic hammer.

I kinda want a full set of them blue Estwing deadblows tho.
>>
File: PLM_SS16CN_FRNT_MAIN.jpg (466 KB, 5472x3072)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
>>2824535
The weird thing is sometimes random brands like Crescent/Plumb can make an amazing hammer. I've got this one, and I'm pretty sure it was made in China or Taiwan, but I find myself preferring to use it over my Estwing or Vaughan claw hammers since it has a hatchet-style handle which is incredibly comfortable when driving and pulling nails. The USA-made Estwing and Vaughan claw hammers don't usually include a magnetic nail starter either, unless it's the Estwing Ultra series hammers. I think I've got something like 10 or 12 claw hammers now, different sizes, etc.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.