[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1940.jpg (2.23 MB, 4032x3024)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
>Give it to me start cunts
>How fucked am I?
>>
File: IMG_1940.jpg (2.11 MB, 4032x3024)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB JPG
Give it to me straight cunts
>How fucked am I?
>>
File: cable tie.jpg (85 KB, 1000x904)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>2825348
>>2825347
>Not rotating the image in the second post
Boomer. Which makes me wonder why you don't know what a hardware store is.
>>
File: sketch-1721109359170.png (2.6 MB, 1080x1964)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB PNG
Not really, as long as the cable isnt fucked. But you need a spring tension bar to wind the springs backwards. Then you get some slack on the cables and can wind it back on the cabledrum. The pressed piece on the cable goes inside the drum. But if you are mechanically retarded just call a door company to get ot fixed, the springs can fuck you up.
>>
>How easy is it to find one of those bars and how much would it cost to come fix it?
>Sort of need it done asap
>Dunno if I wanna wait for Amazon delivery to fix garage, kek
>>
>>2825358
The cable also appears to be really short
>I think I am referring to the lift cable.
>>
>>2825376
>The cable also appears to be really short
You only need one turn/loop on the drum when the door is down.
>>
>>2825420
Interesting.
>The door is currently stuck down.
>I cannot open it manually or automatically.
>>
>>2825455
>stuck
yeah I don't think you appreciate how heavy that door is. And since the other spring is pulling it's likely bound. If you're going to mess with it take your panels off, each garage door panel is more or less manageble and when you're down a few you might be able to manage.

I'd just call a local garage door repair guy, one of the one guy shops personally, I don't like fucking with garage doors.
>>
>>2825455
>>The door is currently stuck down.
>>I cannot open it manually or automatically.
I have two 18" long 1/2" steel rods I use only for door springs.
If you don't know what you're doing, it can be dangerous.
My son and I share a shop we built from start to finish. We have three bays with a 'garage' door in each bay. I personally installed all three doors.
If you're confident in your ability do release the tension on the spring and re-tension it after reattaching the cable, go for it. If you don't know what you're doing, call someone who does.
>>
I had the same issue a month ago. I got winding bars, re attached the cable and wound tension. Then I adjusted the motor to not open so far, nor close as far. It took another few turns on the spring to get everything balanced out where I wanted it. Not hard at all and certainly cheaper than paying someone else.
>>
>>2825455
>>2825461
Don't remove the panels or cables with the springs under tension. I guess that your left cable is still attached, and that keeps the springs and panels in balance. If you remove panels it will remove weight from the door and it will probably lift up the remaining panels crooked.
>>
>>2825541
That is correct, left lift cable still appears to be attached.
>Got a potential quote for 170 + parts
>Doubt I will need parts and 170 isn’t terrible
>This feels a little over my head since it is kind of important for me to be able to park in my garage.
>Would love to know in the future how to do this perhaps.
>>
>>2825680
>>Would love to know in the future how to do this perhaps.
Have you tried YouTube?
>>
>>2825725
What should I search specifically?
>>
>>2825885
Worth noting is that this is kind of like repairing a CRT TV, in that this is one of those repairs that's entirely DIY-able, there isn't anything that requires special skills or esoteric equipment, but if you fuck it up it can kill you. Also, consider how/why it failed, it might be worth just having a pro do it and bring new replacement parts.
>>
>>2825885
>>
>>2825891
The flyback transformer in a CRT isnt likely going to kill you unless you're doing something like wearing a grounding strap and while it is live and plugged in to the wall, rather than whatever residual charge remains in the capacitors. I've worked on enough iMacs and PowerMac G3 AIOs to know that fly backs are generally nothing to be concerned about. pic related is the tool apple sold us
>>
>>2825354
>Never saddle a dead horse
>>
>>2825347
I read the whole thread OP, if you aren't knowledgeable on many aspects of DIY, fixing a broken cable while the door is down isn't exactly babbys first DIY project. At least get a friend who's handy to help you. Ask him if he understands how doors work and ensure he's not lying or overconfident as they can easily kill you. A door made of solid wood panels like yours can easily weigh 400 lbs.
>>
>>2825935
Any and all high voltage discharges are like stress fractures in steel, it might take months or years for the damage done to reveal itself. By high voltage I mean above 600V. There are plenty of people who killed themselves with MOTs and neon sign transformers.
>>
>>2825935
>pic related is the tool apple sold us

so they basically sold you a lead with a probe. how much did they sell you that tool for cause if its more than $2 you got fucked. all you need is a small shaft flathead screwdriver and any shitty piece of wire attached to it and to the ground/frame to ground that CRT.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.