[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0952.jpg (664 KB, 1290x1301)
664 KB
664 KB JPG
I’m an Applied Design major and I want to get a head-start on my Thesis Project now that I’m half-way through my four years.

I’d like to make an ‘experience’ room that I can make big enough for a 7’ tall person, but that I can take apart and put together in art galleries.

What do I need to research? I thought about looking at how to build a shed but that seems too big. What kind of plan would I need to make or look for? Ideally, the walls would be able to be disassembled and pulled apart. How would I join these?

That’s my most major concern right now. It’d essentially be 7’ or 8’ because I want people to be able to lay down in the room. Something with an entrance that can be open and closed and sound proofed. So there’d be a floor, four walls, and a ceiling that would be flat. Should I perhaps make it 9’ x 9’ i The nstead so that there’s room for the sound proofing? I’d also like to have adequate ventilation and slight a/c or something to make a nice temperature. The rest of the project primarily centers around decorating and creating objects for the space. If you’ve ever been in a Meow Wolf location it’s supposed to be their comfy/ambient spaces. I have little information about how to create this little room and don’t know where to start yet because I only have my associates and my core classes.
>>
>>2825634
get a cheap clothes-changing beach tent from amazon and a sprayer pump full of DMT
>>
File: IMG_0917.jpg (3.1 MB, 5712x4284)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
>>2825644
… I know you’re right that this would simulate the meow wolf experience. HOWEVER, I cannot reasonably… Drug my guests.
>>
File: IMG_0927.jpg (1.43 MB, 5712x4284)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>
>>2825650
>Nitrous
Smells like whipped cream, makes you loopy, and can be bought in bulk for cars.
>>
>>2825678
Also a pri fab shed with some kit bashing will do you well.
Also for portability put it on the back of a trailer.
>>
>>2825679
Thank you! I thought of this, I’d have to figure out a good supplier. I was hoping for a more modular sliding together situation with outside bracing at the corners to make it stable.
>>
>>2825634
building a sex dungeon eh OP?
>>
>>2825634
>sound proofed
That's going to be hard if it needs to be small, lightweight, able to be broken down, and have a big door. I know a lot of people think those egg carton acoustic panels are soundproofing, but they're not. You need something like rockwool, and a pretty good amount, which means heft and size.
Ventilation and AC can probably just be a two hose portable AC that costs like $400.
You could make it modular, but sealing it to keep the sound out will be a consideration. If I had to do this I would break the thing into four corners, frame it out of pine and put rockwool in the frame. Put casters on each piece for easy transport.
>>
>>2825634
>I’m an Applied Design major
>Can't figure out how to build a box
This whole planet is doomed.
>>
>>2825678
>can be bought in bulk for cars
those have bitterants you retard
>>
No way in hell I’d get into a soundproofed coffin like that. What is your thesis? There might be other ways to skin this cat. For example when putting together a chill room at a rave, you can’t sound proof shit, and you have massive sound system right next to you. But in this case, you don’t need to block all sound, you just need to reduce the outside sound a bit, and use your own soothing sounds. It doesn’t need to be perfect just needs to be relaxed relative to the environment. So if you artificially increase the annoying factor just outside your box, the box will seem soothing.

Eg , white room, flashing lights, high pitched annoying sounds, maybe be a dick and put in some strobes. Play crowd noises. Play some techno, just a real mess. Maybe put in some noisemakers for people to play with. Draw attention to the room, good food, whatever.

Make the outside of the box garish and Lou’s with lights too.

Then inside you pump in some soothing music, low lights, make it comfy as fuck.

Let them write something fun on the walls for the next person.have a timer of some sort, so like 10 minutes. Add an “occupied” light on the door, or other way to keep people out.

Make sure it’s cool enough , even though this sucks because it will significantly add to the noise. Maybe pump in cool air from another room rather than an open fan.

Don’t let anyone get raped in there, it’ll ruin your art show for sure.
>>
>>2825634
sounds like pretty basic set design type stuff.
whole lot of 2x3 and 1/4" ply screw it all together.
if you can build a stud wall (ideally add some corner bracing) and then put some legs on it you can do that.
roof i would say stretch and clamp a sheet over it if you need it closed rather than have anything heavy that you need to lift or could fall on someones head.
couple of holes in the end studs of each section and bolt it all together.
you will never soundproof it properly and there is very little point in trying.

of course if you want to think outside the box maybe you could rent one of those refrigerated trucks for frozen food, decorate the inside of that. just host it outside the gallery in the parking lot.
or if you want to phone it in get a folding gazebo or tube frame plastic greenhouse off amazon idk.
>>
>>2825634
> I want people to be able to lay down in the room
> sound proofed
> adequate ventilation and slight a/c

So, sex dungeon?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.