[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240717_185635.jpg (3.79 MB, 2992x2992)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG
I have an old book apparently bound in linen, and I want to attach these metal book corners to it. It's very important to me, though, so if I use glue, I don't want it to be visible.

The corner pieces are 4cm at the longest points, so the solid parts, between the gaps, are very small. I'd need an adhesive that can be applied in very, very small spots so that when the metal piece is pressed down, the glue doesn't spread and become visible.

Any idea what I could do? I'm hoping to find a very specific glue instead of just using some random cyanoacrylate, or polyurethane, or whatever. I can include a more scaled photo later.
>>
>>2826244
cover the visible side of the metal pieces in masking tape to prevent glue from running on to it, use a spray adhesive like 3M Super 77 on the side you want to glue to the book. Wait a couple minutes after spraying to allow the glue to set, remove masking tape, then press it on to the book.
>>
>>2826250
Awesome. Will try this when the spray adhesive arrives.
>>
>>2826317
you'll probably want a small tool like a spudger to pry the metal off the masking tape. you'll also probably want to put on gloves before removing the tape, and remove the gloves when you go to place the pieces as you'll probably have some get some glue on them. assuming those metal pieces are cheap, practice on something you dont care about before hand
>>
>>2826326
Very cheap, yes. There are ~20 of them.
>>
>>2826326
he also could use that liquid application masking material that model makers use when painting. There are a couple of different kinds that gunpla modelers use.
the reason I suggest this is that it might be difficult getting the masking tape to cover all the little nooks along the edges of the metal things, but paint-on masque could help (it peels off when dry)
it depends on how good OP is at working with tape though. The spray-on adhesive is a good idea, I’ve used the temporary stuff before and it is good for applying an even layer of adhesive without globbing. This is especially important when attaching to a surface like a fabric-bound book where even temporary misalignment will leave a permanent glue smear on the fabric.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.