[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1656289379032.jpg (163 KB, 1182x1375)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
Ive just bought 40ish acres wooded lot recently. Plan is to farm/homestead. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to buy a used excavator or bobcat. I'm gonna dig a septic anyways and enviably I'm going to what to dig some ponds and either bermed or pit greenhouses.
Question is, what should I keep an eye out for as a novice guy on a budget.
>>
>>2826285
Yes
>>
Save the money you put aside for buying an excavator and just hire someone to do anything you want to do yourself to save yourself the headache and embarrassment of fucking it up
>>
Rent that shit
>>
>>2826285
Unless you can get a really good deal on used equipment, and you know how to fix and maintain that shit, you are nearly always better off renting.
>>
A small tractor with a mower would probably be practical to own, used but not beat to hell. A front end loader is also a serious consideration.

Other equipment is more specialized, rent it or better yet pay a neighbor to come do the job with their machine.
>>
Just rent. Its not worth it being some crazy hoarder boomer
>>
>>2826285
if you plan on buying an excavator make sure you have a place to make maintenance and repair on it first. otherwise you'll be stranded with a fucked up excavator and the guy who will repair it for you will ask for a price as high as the excavator itself. buying an excavator is actually a good idea but you need to know what the fuck are you doing. mini excavators are more expensive than a large used one for some reason and i can bet your acres wooded lot it will be more expensive to fix and mantain aswell.
if you dont have a garage with metalworking tools and experience with metalworking, hydraulics and mechanical knowledge dont fucking bother. you will be fixing that machine more often than you will be using it aswell so make sure you will be using it often, otherwise you will be looking at a money pit you get no use out of.
>>
>>2826822
Can you fix my excavator?
>>
>>2826285
did you get the mule too?
>>
>>2826285
Would be a funnier comic if the rooster had a subtle but huge dick.
>>
>>2826285
If you're planning on staying there, I strongly recommend nut trees as soon as you can afford to get some. They will pay off in free food in a few years if you make appropriate choices for your zone. Check out Grimo Nut Nursery for example.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.