[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1698268743511056.jpg (997 KB, 1920x1080)
997 KB
997 KB JPG
I attempted to spruce up my scratched up green laminate counters by painting on some Rust-Oleum appliance epoxy, but it's not hardening.
I prepped the surface by sanding and whipping down with isopropyl, then applied 2 coats spaced an hour apart. However, now 2 hot days of good ventilation later I can still easily make fingernails marks into it, and just about anything on it tears or dents the paint.

Did I just get a bad batch of epoxy, or is the appliance epoxy just really soft?
I even painted the top of the can and put it outside for a day to find it's not much harder. I expected something like the paint on the side of my fridge.

Is there a harder epoxy or paint I can use?
>>
File: 1709353285797832.jpg (691 KB, 1920x1080)
691 KB
691 KB JPG
This is from putting a pressure cooker on it 2 90 degree days later despite the directions saying it would be hard from one day at 70 degrees. It's so delicate it seems like I would have had a better result from just plain wall paint.

I know the right move is to put in new counters, but I'm living in a late family member's home I fixed up to stay in through college.
>>
>>2827099
>I expected something like the paint on the side of my fridge

thats why you dont use stuff that it wasnt designed for. enjoy your fucked up countertop retard.
>>
>>2827099
sand that shit down to base wood and stain it or tile over it using the biggest tiles you can find. Appliance epoxy is meant for bonding to metal not Formica.
>>
>>2827106
I'm my defense, there are a couple dozen YouTube videos of people doing this and it coming out fine. Even the Amazon reviews are full of people saying they used it on counters.

>>2827135
At this point if there isn't a trick to making this crap harden (it's not hardening on the metal and wood testing surfaces either) I feel like it's easier to just put a new sheet of Formica on.
>>
Use some catalyst hardener and japan drier with it.
>>
Paint is notorious for sometimes not drying properly. You should have waited longer than 1 hour to recoat. Experience has taught me you ALWAYS shake the devil out of the paint before you use it and you ALWAYS make damn sure it's dry before you recoat. Running some tests to check dry times would be worth it, too. It is going to dry when it dries. Might take a week, a month, a year. Who knows. It WILL eventually dry, though. Trying to redo it is going to be a huge mess, I don't recommend it. Give it a week or so with proper ventilation and see what happens.
>>
Since it's already on there, there's not a whole lot you can do with it other than stripping the paint off or replacing the countertop. Only thing I can think of that might salvage things as they are would maybe be to slap a coat of clear epoxy resin over top of the paint?
>>
Throw a box fan on it to speed up off gassing so it can cure faster.
>>
>>2827099
Not enough hardener.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.