[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

What kind of power usage and costs am I looking at if I want to install a commercial-grade cooling system in my house? I have some extra cash, and one thing I have always wanted to do is to turn my house into a winter paradise even when it is 50C/122F outside.

I would need a commercial freezer apparatus capable of cooling a space of around 2,300 square feet/214 meters to (hopefully) below the freezing point, if I desire.
>>
>>2827525
>lets ask a bunch of larpers on a chinese cartoon board
>>
>>2827525
>214m2 of walk in freezer

For a start, your house leaks like a sieve compared to properly sealed insulated foam panels used in commercial cold rooms. Second, your insulation is also woefully inadequate. Your power bills would be absolutely fucking astronomical on top of buying idk 8-10+ commercial freezer split units. In fact I don't think your regular residential power line would even handle the load. This isn't "extra cash", this is "rebuild your house and pay for three phase 240v laid to your property".
>>
>>2827550
Well, what does it actually cost to get the electric company to upgrade your connection? If businesses and industrial clients can plop down a building and get adequate power, it can't be all that difficult if you have the cash.
>>
>>2827552
>Well, what does it actually cost to get the electric company to upgrade your connection

Hold up let me just activate my ESP to know exactly the location of your building in relationship to your local power grid and what the lines and transformers are rated for.
>>
>>2827552
>it can't be all that difficult if you have the cash.
Magnitudes of "some extra cash" vary wildly between an individual and a business.
A large corpo building an industrial warehouse will consider a couple million $ to be pocket change. They will install machinery totalling several millions inside, the employee payroll for operation and maintenance probably adds up into the high six or mid seven digits - and their power bill is probably going to be tens to hundreds of thousands, so the installation cost is just a bit more upfront as far as they're concerned, maybe even discounted by the power company in exchange for some multi-year consumption contract.

And most of that cash is going to be easily provided upfront by business loans if necessary. And if the company operates at a loss it can continue floating on loans. And even if it goes bankrupt, the execs will probably exit with a shitton of wealth anyway, and even the employees will pocket their last salary and walk away and that's it.

Meanwhile you're just one guy proposing to pay out of pocket for installation, because you have "some extra cash". How much is some? Do you have a few hundred thousand spare to blow on this project, directly out of pocket, with no hope of profits and no way to shirk the bill onto some random investment bank with accounting tricks?
>>
>>2827552
Residential neighborhoods don't normally provide 3 phase power and supply 1000 amp services. So you pretty much fucked on the commercial level.
>>
>>2827588
They do. Look at any apartment building with more than a few units.
>>
>>2827525
>Well, what does it actually cost?
If you have to ask, it's too much
>>
>>2827588
>Residential neighborhoods don't normally provide 3 phase power and supply 1000 amp services. So you pretty much fucked on the commercial level.

Gonna go ahead and hijack this worthless thread.

Since you seem to know a bit about power transmission lines and commercial vs residential power, would i have any recourse against the power company charging my personal farm shop at commercial rates? For years and years the meter was simply marked as a stock tank heater and charged accordingly. Shop was put up and eventually they started charging commercially. Is commercial power more expensive or actually charged at a cheaper rate? They might even do demand billing not sure would have to check the bill. Can i force them to bring me 480v 3 phase service if they are going to bill me commercially? Currently it is 240v single phase.
>>
>>2827604
Haha no. I mean you are fucked. You didn't notice the commercial rate changeover? Do you handle the bills or does your wife?

Use that barn roof, cover it with panels and put in a 3-phase unit. Done.

Typical single phase component install, batteries, panels, all-in-one for a modest workspace is about 5k, so triple that for minimal 3-phase. I'm sure the power co will charge in excess of 20k to bring in 3-phase.

3x 3k EG4's AIO $1750
30kw batteries $9k (or less. I'd use a little DIY to bring the capacity up and/or the price down).
11,500w of panels is running about $3k delivered. You can panel 4k per 3k AIO, so that's ...about... right. That's a single pallet LTL delivery.

I think there is a 5k EG4. I think it can handle more than 4k of solar per unit. They pair and triple up similarly, to deliver split phase 3-phase. Then there's a 6500w EG4, or a 12kw or 18kw. Pretty sure the 6.5, and for sure the 12 and 18 deliver split phase. 18 is what you use to cover a typical 200-amp panel.
>>
I'm confused by this thread. The US has a 240V net now?
>>
>>2827670
Always have
>>
>>2827525
won't work. you'd probably spend at least 150-200k, need a rack or multiple condensers if not a chiller/cooling tower type beat. normal homes aren't properly insulated to hold temperatures that low. you'd need stupid piping arrangements for the evaps for each room. contractors would laugh while they rape you with costs
>>
>>2827736
oh and you'd need 460v ran to your house. electrical bill would laugh at you too
>>
>>2827604
>Is commercial power more expensive or actually charged at a cheaper rate?
usually it is more expensive, because they charge commercial customers for apparent power instead of real power usage.
>Can i force them to bring me 480v 3 phase service if they are going to bill me commercially?
no. at least not in my state. you have to justify your usage. some crackpot retard who wants a big ol air conditioner does not justify the infrastructure required to make that happen, even if youre willing to pay a ton of money.
if you were to say open a machine shop in your basement with a lot of 3 phase equipment, and you were doing business, they might be able to justify it. but you arent going to be able to justify or afford 480v equipment. usually new 480v services start over $500k, at least at our company, when you consider the MDP (which costs hundreds of thousands of dollars usually and takes months to manufacture and ship). each 480v breaker starts at over $1k. depending on the size of a transformer, they start around $10kish. not to mention wire, conduit, panelboards, etc.
plus a retard like you is not going to balance the load on the phases and burn your transformers and the utility transformers out.
>>
>>2827763
addendum:
I did replace a 200 amp 120/240v delta high leg service at a residential house that was existing from around the 1950s-60s. apparently pop pop had a machine shop or something back in the day. when i got there, 2 gay guys (1 worked a subaru dealer lol) lived there and wanted the old panel replaced. they also had old school GE relays for all the light switches.
>>
>>2827670
USA uses split phase 240 so we can run appliances off of 120V or 240V
Most every day stuff is 120, but more powerful appliances like dryers, ovens, furnaces, air conditioners, etc. are 240
>>
>>2827525
everyone ITT is fucking retarded.

looking up some numbers from work, you will need about a 35 ton system if your house was insulated well, and my best guess is a 60 ton system with standard ass insulation.
that is far too much power than what you can get from the grid, so unless you want to run a screw compressor off a diesel engine (doable), forget the whole house.
Instead, throw up freezer spec inuslation in one (one) room that is 24 meters squared, and you should be able to cool this with a 5 ton system.

BUT WAIT, theres more. 5 ton units for a house are designed to operate down to 16c or so, you will have to re-engineer the system to set it up for 0c. it's doable and in most cases just requires a change to the capilary tube/whatever it uses.
alternatively you can get a 5 ton freezer setup for like a store or shop or something but finding one that works on 240/1p will be hard.
>>
>>2827628
>You didn't notice the commercial rate changeover?
It's my mom's property. She pays the electric bill on her place.

>Use that barn roof, cover it with panels and put in a 3-phase unit. Done.
Barn roof already has some solar panels on it to cover the average usage under the residential plan we were being billed on when panels were installed.

>>2827763

>usually it is more expensive, because they charge commercial customers for apparent power instead of real power usage.
That's what I figured. I'm no expert on power company billing.

>no. at least not in my state. you have to justify your usage.
>if you were to say open a machine shop in your basement with a lot of 3 phase equipment, and you were doing business, they might be able to justify it.
I do have quite a bit of 3 phase equipment already and just run stuff off of VFD. I'm not exactly saying I need 480V 3 phase. Hell even 240V 3 phase would be nice. What I'm saying is if they're supplying me with shitty single phase 240v then why the fuck are they charging me at commercial rates? It's a family farm with me and my son working during the summertime when he's home from college and my wife helping out some too. No other employees. It's not commercial at all. So can I bitch them out and get back on residential billing?

>plus a retard like you is not going to balance the load on the phases and burn your transformers and the utility transformers out.
No need to be a dickhead, I never claimed to be an electrician, just someone who doesn't want to be fucked by the utility company. I have 3 other meters on a different farm that are all 3 phase. Two of them 240v and one 480v. Basically all they run are irrigation pumps. Probably build a house and shop out there someday for my son to live there, and will definitely run the 3 phase to the shop, because if it is there then why not use it?
>>
>>2827628

$0.26/watt delivered

Yeah, not unless you're getting used panels.
Hell shipping to a residence without a forklift is going to be $1,200 itself for just a couple pallets of panels.

For new monocrystalline, budget at least $0.40/watt
>>
>>2827763
Recently needed to get a 50 amp 3 phase breaker, was $1,300 from siemens. No idea why it was so much. It hurt my soul but found an equivalent that worked with my panel from Eaton on ebay for $300, so now I got two brands in my cabnet.
>>
>>2827919
So my commercial is $0.03/kwh, but they rape you on demand charges. My residential is $0.11/kwh

I setup an alarm with home assistant at the shop to sound an alarm when it nears the highest 15 minute interval for the month. Saves me loads. I want to get a battery system installed to shift demand around or start butt coin mining when I'm not near the demand threshold.
>>
>>2827763
>some crackpot retard who wants a big ol air conditioner does not justify the infrastructure required to make that happen, even if youre willing to pay a ton of money.
The person you’re responding to isn’t op dipshit. I would be careful about calling other people retards when basic reading comprehension is a struggle for you.
>>
>>2828347
> $0.40 a watt

Where are you planning on doing this? The alaska area?

There's wholesalers / liquidators with new panels. Arizona, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee.. Look up Santan Solar, for instance.

> muh ship to a residence
You're rural and don't have a truck?
And don't have a feed store that has a forklift?

A pallet of new panels, 11,500 watts, was $2,700. At muh $0.40/w, that means you plan on spending $4,600, which leaves a $1,900 shipping cost.

It probably is at least $1,900, to get a pallet to the aleutian islands.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.