[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 64752_W3.jpg (141 KB, 1200x1200)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
Are air tools any good?
>>
>>2827632
no people have been using them for decades because they suck and out of spite.
>>
>>2827632
see there are actual stupid questions.
>>
What a stupid post OP you are a dumb faggot.

Anyway, air tools are not as good as they used to be thanks to battery tools and most that are still relevant are the ones that require high CFM shop compressors, like air hammers, HVLP sprayers or sandblasters.
>>
>>2827632
i don't know about this chief
>>
File: amazoncompressor.png (232 KB, 1185x696)
232 KB
232 KB PNG
Air tools are very good. If you have a dedicated work space for a compressor, I like them more than battery tools, especially for grinders. I've smoked a few electric angle grinders and die grinders, but I have my grandad's air angle grinder & die grinders that are older than me and still going strong.

people say air compressors are too expensive but I've probably spent $1000 on batteries at this point for cordless tools, that will get you a pretty serious air compressor. Nothing professional level but on the upper end of DIY or hobby level.
>>
>>2827632
>Are air tools any good?
in what context? for what use? don't ask vague questions.
>>
I see no reason to buy a compressor in 2024 for basic power tools like drills, grinders and even impacts. They were born during a time when corded 120v tools sucked and battery tools didn't even exist. They still sound fucking awesome and I love using mine, but I understand why they're not used anymore. Battery stuff is that good now.

Air stuff is still built way better but time is money, firing up a compressor to fill a knock some lugs off at home sucks.
>>
Even though I have my shop plumbed with air, I'll still grab the battery tool 99% of the time, easier than dragging a hose around. I have a massive compressor that I now only really use for a tire inflator, blower, and occasionally an hplv gun.
>>
>>2827632
For what? In a fully plumbed shop? yes.
At home starting from scratch? Fuck no.
>>
>>2827632
They sound cool
>>
>>2827725
I still shill a 6gal pancake or maybe 8-12gal 120V hot dog for little spraying projects and blowing air.

But otherwise you gotta go with a big 240V like >>2827690 and proper hoses and everything to run air tools right, and then there’s maintenance with compressors and noise and you can never go more than a hose length’s away with the tool. Plus if you want to impact one bolt, have fun waiting for everything to air up. Cordless is more convenient.

If you have a big dedicated shop, get the big boy compressor. But you will probably want cordless too if you’re doing much work since dragging hoses and cords around sucks.
>>
>>2827690
>buys hypertough angle grinder
>complains when it burns out
lol
>>
Yeah I love having a massive bomb in my garage/shop ready to explode and kill me at any time with absolutely 0 warning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_FJ6Pat4I
SOOOOO much better than a few battery powered tools lol
>>
>>2827632
>Are air tools any good?
For the average DIY'er?
Not really.
>>
>>2827731
This basically. If you have a big building you're always going to be doing work from then definitely get shop air, you just have to have it, but if you don't have shop air then don't bother with air tools
>>
File: IMG_1679.jpg (7 KB, 229x219)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Nothing beats the weight of air tools for sanding and surface prep

Random orbit sanders
Belt files
Die grinders
Pencil grinders
Air saws

Battery has won when it comes to wrenching.
>>
>>2827782
>tank begins to experience common fatigue failures that indicate replacement is needed
>weld it up and send it for 5 more years
>"OMG MY AIR COMPRESSOR EXPLODED LIKE A FUCKING BOMB"
>>
>>2827764
>you can never go more than a hose length’s away with the tool.
>dragging hoses and cords around sucks.
1/2" SCH 40 PVC pipe that's dirt cheap is rated at 358PSI. My garage has it running all over with air chucks put near outlets. Not only am I not running cords but I can tie multiple air compressors into multiple tanks as long as I pay attention to their rated pressure. The tanks will fail long before the piping does and running more line is just plumbing.
>>
In some cases, yes, air tools are kickass. For most of you limp-wristed faggots you'll never need to own air tools.

Air hammers, air drills, die grinders, air powered chamfering tools, paint guns, and blowing stuff off to clean it are all amazing uses for air.

One thing I really like using are high torque low speed air drills for drilling large holes in steel with holesaws. An electric drill will get real hot real fast doing that stuff. An air drill never gets hot.
>>
>>2827928
>An air drill never gets hot.
Just wait til you shoot some holes with an old Sioux turbine drill from the 40's that could double as an instant beer chiller.
Also-
>I have yet to see a cordless needle scaler.
>>
>>2827970
ah yeah needle scalers are love. Especially for chipping 6011 slag! Also have a couple chipping hammers and a jack hammer that get pulled out once in a while. And a long reach floor scraper and long handled air tamper too.

Also air impacts seem to hit harder and faster than electric impacts which is exactly what the Dr ordered sometimes in order to get a particularly stubborn fastener loose.

Another couple favorite air tools of mine i just thought of are a handheld air vacuum. I adapt it to hydraulic reservoirs and pull a vac on them so i can pull the drain plug and replace it with a ball valve for no mess reservoir drains. I have even pulled hoses and parts off while the system is full of oil and quick-swapped them out without draining anything.

And the air over hydraulic porta-power pumps that convert your shop air to 10,000 psi of hydraulic power. So cheap and so many uses!
>>
>>2828030
Yeah, you're going to be very hard pressed to get someone who is an A&P tinknocker to give up their
prized pneumatic rivet guns, and like you said, air hammers when you need them are the berries.
As to impacts, I had a chance to play with a hydraulic impact wrench. Yeah, blows any air (and all electrics) out of the water but it needs a jackleg unless you want to be wearing a cast.

And agreed, nothing beats a pressure/vac pot for general hydraulics fuckery. Especially if you're doing brake jobs all day, every day.
>>
File: air go brrrrrrrrr.jpg (2.36 MB, 3225x2419)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
>>2827632
theyre lame. definitely dont look for used industrial grade tools on ebay for dimes on the dollar
>>
File: Naamloos-2.jpg (35 KB, 600x600)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>2827632
>Are air tools any good
They fuckin' blow
>>
>>2827634
damn, I knew it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.