[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Hey all, just bought a house. Old 1920's house, and I'm looking to finish up the attic. The only problem is I don't know anything about load bearing weights, or if my attic can handle the weight, or if thats even something I have to worry about? I originally wanted to put up dry wall, but could I do panelling since its lighter if weight is an issue?
pic unrelated, can provide pictures of said attic if someone is kind enough to help.
>>
>>2828468
>1920s
>old
do burgers really?
>>
>>2828494
What value do you think your posted added to the conversation?
>>
>>2828468
At the very minimum--the ceiling rafters (which will become the joists of the attic once finished) need to be 2x8, and shouldn't extend more then 12 feet unsupported. I've seen 2x6 over 10 feet in innumerable houses, typically 1940's bungalows retrofitted to be year round residences and that's a bouncy ass floor to walk on.
Most of the weight of finishing materials should transfer to load bearing walls, like if you finish the underside of the roof, the weight should wind up on the wall supporting the roof. It's likely that your rafters are 2x6, which I feel is pushing it, so you might wish to go with something lighter than drywall in that application.
Don't forget to install insulation baffles and insulation before you install paneling.
And yes, pics are a plus.
>>
>>2828521
Sorry it took so long to get back, I work nights qq
Here's one pic. I believe your right about the 2x6 joists, I think I measured them some months ago. Insulation is already up when I bought it, I believe I'd just have to throw some panelling on? Unless old insulation is something I'd have to worry about, or if there's heavier types of panelling?
>>
File: Snapchat-1406347648.jpg (725 KB, 1080x1920)
725 KB
725 KB JPG
>>2828774
>>
File: Snapchat-1780690261.jpg (892 KB, 1080x1920)
892 KB
892 KB JPG
>>
File: Snapchat-1723387551.jpg (959 KB, 1080x1920)
959 KB
959 KB JPG
Insulation is falling out or needs to be replaced in a spot or two, but does that mean all of it needs replacing?
>>
>>2828778
Anon from before here...
The thing with the insulation is that its kind of bulging out...if you go with light duty paneling it might make the paneling bulge as well...for that they make "rods" which are pre-cut pieces of steel rod that go in between the rafters and hold the insulation back so it's not going to lean on the back of the paneling.
I think you can go with that insulation, tho...probably more of a mess and pain in the ass to rip it all out. Opening a can of worms, and all that.
So, if the attic floor joists are likely 2x6, that begs the question of the density of partition walls under the attic that are going to have to support those 2x6's. Do you think there are enough walls below the attic floor to support it?
Does it feel spongy when you walk on it? Is there any cracking in the drywall of the floor below, up near the ceiling? Any displaced crown moldings or anything that might lead you to believe that there's structural flexing? If not, you might be able to run with your plan.
Are you thinking of putting any kneewalls up there, or just going with the paneling over what's there now?
>>
File: Snapchat-1658442912.jpg (733 KB, 1080x1920)
733 KB
733 KB JPG
>>2828782
Sounds like I'm going with that insulation to save myself trouble. I'm not very construction savvy, but I googled knee walls and I think those are already in too? There's like half walls on each side of the attic space, and behind a torn part of insulation I can see more sloping roof leading all the way to the floor behind them.
>>
I'm assuming if I did these steel rods I'd have to get one for each spot of insulation that's bulging. Do you think that extra weight would ruin the purpose of the panelling?
No cracks or flexing that I can see anywhere though on the floor below
>>
>>2828786
I wouldn't worry about the weight of the rods, it's not much. Mainly, it comes down to 40 lbs per board of sheetrock versus maybe 8 or 10 for paneling. The rods are similar to wire coat hangers, not very heavy. Yeah, you could just put one wherever the insulation sticks out. Conversely, you could always try to staple the insulation back with a staple gun too, but the paper backing tends to get brittle with age so the staples might just pull through the paper. Can't hurt to try...
No cracks is good, if you're not seeing anything odd then cross your fingers and go for it, I think.
The kneewalls being in are good. Have you given any thought to the electric, or are you good with what's there?
Gonna crash, I'll check back in the a.m.
>>
Post foundations.
Don't really care about your crumbling attic just want to see the foundations.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.