[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Fail.jpg (186 KB, 1280x720)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
Reviving /SQTDDTOT/ Edition

Okay so a stupid question: I have a kitchen that was abandoned for ~5 years during COVID when my parents were away. Water damage around the sink cabinet, mice infestation, mild molding (probably worse behind cabinets), and basically the whole thing needs to be ripped out and redone from ground up, hopefully no major plumbing or electrical or drywall though.

I want to perform demolition on this kitchen, just removing cabinets and flooring and cleaning up and preparing it for further work. I have contractor 5-7mil bags, and a bagster. I have some tools: 36" wrecking bar, drill and impact driver, jigsaw, skilsaw, multitool, handsaws, axes, hammers of various sizes, pry bars and such of different shapes, PPE like masks and goggles and earpro etc, HEPA filtered shop vac, different disinfectants, and so on.

What ELSE do I need before I start this so I don't end up in a bind? How long do you think it would take? I've never torn down anything major other than like some furniture.
Also, any recommendations on whether I should rent an air scrubber or two, and for how long I should have them running? Is running a negative pressure duct through the range hood ducting a bad idea? Please give me some ideas, precautionary tales, what I should do before, during and after the demo, and recommendations and what your own experiences have been. Thanks.
>>
What Knipex tools should I get if I want to buy around ~5-6 of them in total just so I can have them and use them and replace some other stuff in my DIY toolbox? What size of the pliers wrenches will be the most useful?
>>
Waiting for the lawn care thread to return:
Is there a real issue with just letting your backyard be filled with colorful flowering weeds? Seemed like a divisive topic.
Assuming I don't mind bees, and I've never seen more than a garden snake here in the southeast US
>>
>>2842047
Make sure you get the right grade of masks. Mold can fuck you up and the spores travel right through many masks.

Asbestos grade is even higher. This might be important if the walls, floor, or ceiling are being chipped to dust. In CAN/USA only have to worry about asbestos if the house is 1980s or older.
>>
how can i tell wood drill bits from metal drill bits?
I have to drill a 1/2in hole in 1/4in thick steel
>>
>>2842048
7” and 10” Cobras first, then 7”/10” pliers wrench. People really really love their diagonal cutters and the Cobolts too, if you think you need cutters that will last 20 years without going dull.

Twingrips are quite popular. I got them but I never really liked slip joint pliers since there always seems to be a better tool for any given job. However, if you’re somebody who reaches for slip joint pliers a lot, the Twingrips might be the best of em.

And the multipurpose electrician pliers are so fuckin nice.

Knipex is really good at making properly sharp and hard jaws-teeth-cutting edges. So if you’re going to get a few Knipex pliers, you’ll get the most bang for your buck buying the stuff that really has to bite and cut, which is why the Cobras are so damn popular when they can grip cast iron pipe so much better than the cheaper brands without slipping.
>>
File: proxy-image.jpg (34 KB, 500x500)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Can I diy a flared end on a normal silicon tube?
>>
File: image.jpg (2.75 MB, 4032x3024)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
>>2842149
Look at the packaging.

Any drill bits with a typical 118deg or 135deg split point tip should be fine. Those typical drill bits are made for everything from wood to plastic to metal. There are harder ones like cobalt bits that are better for metal, but still work fine on wood. Brad point bits are the only ones that are wood specific and will be shit on metal. And of course no spade bits in metal, and masonry bits are for masonry.
>>
>>2842163
idk, can you?
>>
>>2842113
I would hate you if I lived downwind of you
>>
>>2842149
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/drill-bits/material~cobalt-steel/
>>
>>2842149
>>2842294
You don’t need cobalt drill bits to get through regular non-hardened steel

tbqhwy the DeWalt drill bits are always on sale and work great for metal, they’re typical HSS. The “titanium” gold colored bits are just a coating, not the actual drill bit material.

Pic related will get the job done just fine. Use lubricant and don’t run the bit fast. Make sure you’re in low speed on the drill. Center punch a little dot to give the bit a place to start, and begin with a smaller bit and work your way up if you want. Go especially slow, like halfway on the trigger on low speed, when you get to the larger bits. The trick to drilling metal is to keep things cool, because as soon as the metal gets hot, it will work harden.
>>
File: 1724167162468204.jpg (68 KB, 1024x615)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
Retard here. I was going to thread a Starlink satellite cable through some PVC conduit. However, I didn't want to bury the entire section of PVC because for some of the run, there's some trees I can't move in the way. Is it fine for some (maybe 50 feet) of the conduit to be above the ground, or will it decay notably faster? I'm in Canada so moderate snow will be expected between December and April. I'm new to this sort of thing, but I just couldn't handle the terrible Bell/Rogers Internet service anymore.

On the topic of threading the cable, I should just stick with PVC conduit, right? I read some guy used irrigation pipes for one of his setups, but I don't know how well that'd hold up under freezing weather conditions.
>>
So I'm building an enclosure for a reptile. Mostly plywood construction, with a glass front. The glass front will be fixed (not sliding/opening). My plan was to just cut a dado/slot in the wood panels that the glass would fit into.

The question is, should the slot be sized exactly for a tight fit, or do I need to leave it a bit loose (or even oversized enough for a bead of silicone or something) to allow for expansion/contraction of the wood?
>>
>>2842349
>retard here
Me too. My starlink cable just lays on the ground, no ill effects all winter, buried in snow 4 months easy
>>
>>2842388
It's good to know it can hold up under the weather, but I still need to bury part of it so I can cut the grass. How long have you had it?
>>
>>2842398
Bout a year
>>
I am a DIY'er working on renovating a townhouse that my parents have moved into already. Should I buy a unit, like a PRED750, for work while my parents are living in the place? Rental here ranges from $47 to $199 per DAY (fucking home depot on the higher end of that price range) for the small units, cheaper per day if doing weekly rentals, but if work is taking 6-8 weeks anyway, it's gonna match the price of a whole new unit.
>>
>>2842428
I should have specified I'm thinking of purchasing a dedicated air scrubber while doing renovation work, and whether this is wise vs. renting.
>>
File: airbrush.jpg (231 KB, 1080x994)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
Can I use DTF powder in an unmodified airbrush?
Powder coat guns have a fluidized bed for the solid feed,
and they charge the particles. Maybe I don't need those.
I'm thinking about shooting it at extruded plastic /3dpg/,
so the target will be hot and sticky and
I don't really need it to stick elsewhere.
>>
I want to precisely cut a window into the side of my Dell computer.

Is a laser engraver enough for this?
>>
What do you consider the best brands for duct tape? (Duck tape, Gaffa tape, gaffer tape, Panzerband and whatever other names it goes by)
I’ve had bad experiences with cheap shit and in general it seems like the euro brands (eg Tesa) aren’t that great.
Worth getting some overpriced US import off Amazon? Or should I go straight to the source and order chink shit from AliExpress?
>>
>>2842048
Admit it, you just want them to post nice pictures of your unused fancy tools on Reddit! In this case, I’d recommend their biggest, baddest bolt cutter, their auto crimper (normal one and the revolver one), a bunch of VDE tools for the nice handle colors and some cobolt.
Because otherwise, you’d know what you actually do need.
>>
>>2842459
You're absolutely right that my question indeed gave such an air of stupidity. I really was asking more of which of their tools is the best, because for example I'd heard their regular pliers were nothing to right home about. I'm in the middle of a three story townhouse renovation and was just sick and tired of trying to find the right size wrench for everything and it's my first ever set of tools that is expanding as needs arise and just wanted a nice set of more multifunctional tools. I don't even have a reddit account :(
>>
>>2842458
Here in Canada, we have Tuck Tape, and they make some really good specialized tapes and regular tapes for construction and contractor work. For example, their red tuck tape is basically the only good thing up here for sealing poly sheets during work and negative pressure dust management. Their blue stuff is very commonly used here for permanent sheathing seams and such. I also have had fantastic experience with the Gorilla Black Tape, held my entire car together for months after a big garbage truck sideswiped me and ripped apart all the plastic parts until I finally had time to take it in to the body shop. And it rains a lot here...
>>
>>2842464
>>2842459
Stuff like their regular long nose pliers are still good. If you buy from Knipex, you’re not going to get a real sticky pivot point or misaligned jaws. But those are the tools where you’re not putting a ton of pressure biting into stuff so the Knipex don’t shine as much. When it comes to something like the Cobras vs basic ass channellocks from any other brand, that’s where the German shit is real nice. Cheaper channellock jaws will dull quick and slip around the pipe you’re trying to spin, but the Cobras will bite and they won’t let go.

The little XS and mini ones are dumb but they make for a good EDC photo to post on your favorite Reddit board.

VDE and comfort grip handles def stand out in the Reddit threads too. I got b& from Reddit every time I made an account so I passed on the comfort grip. Plus the fat grips make certain tools awkward and Knipex’s dip is bretty gud.
>>
>>2842047
What powertool brand is best?
>>
>>2842465
i have a roll of 3" gorilla tape that started delaminating and under the black layer it says "flexfix 181B-FX UL listed 82P4 for class 1 duct"
>>
So Im really stupid.
I got 3 boards I guess 1inchx4inchx8feet
but is more like little less than 3/4 inch by 3 1/2 inch.
I got a handsaw and I cut 6 blocks of 12 1/2 long
but the cut looks jagged, I guess I would be doing a butt joint with nails, I dont have a plane, how do I make the end straighter? Do I use a chisel or just sandpaper?
>>
File: ShoeThing.png (5 KB, 751x221)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>2842556
I wanted to do something like this for shoes to rest on top of the long sticks and maybe put a plywood on top and put on some boxes
I guess is a stupid design but I just want to do something to get started
>>
>>2842506
What’s your favorite color?
>>
>>2842556
>I got a handsaw
>how do I make the end straighter?
buy or build a miter box
buy a square
practice making handsaw cuts

>>2842556
>is more like little less than 3/4 inch by 3 1/2 inch
websearch for "dimensional lumber sizes"
>>
>>2842598
I have a handsaw, 2 squares, 2 chisels, and sandpaper, and an old sears router 315.17381 with no router bits, is so old that Im afraid to use it I dont know if it needs some maintenance first.
So I can only cut it again straighter? I already got the 6 cuts, should I get a smaller saw for that?
>>
how unhealthy is wood dust? im installing shingle siding on a house and half the guys are wearing n95 masks. i only now noticed a haze of dust while working behind the shade clith
>>
i got mice in my apartment
i set two traps last night and this morning had two dead ones
i'm gonna set four more but is there any better method to get rid of them?
>>
>>2842606

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=squaring+end+cuts+in+wood+with+only+hand+tools
>>
>>2842655
if boomers and methicans are actually wearing their safety shit, it means that dust is nasty

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.