[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1705330248159235.png (590 KB, 518x778)
590 KB
590 KB PNG
Is this safe? I found this on pinterest and would like to do something similar, there's a lot of unused space above my own stairs and this house ain't that big.

Do you need special screws/plugs for the beams to prevent them from ripping out the wall?
>>
File: American walls.jpg (69 KB, 611x637)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
lol
>>
>>2844451
To be clear, the walls in my place are concrete.
>>
>>2844451
>tiny horizontal studs, 2" on center
wtf is that, belongs in the abomination thread
>>
>>2844447
Just ignore the wall board pretend it's not there. This type of arrangement would require Bolting directly to the wall stud frame work.
I think it looks stupid and the one in that image looks weakly built. Doesn't look safe.
Think of scaffolding. Safety factors
>>
>>2844456
you got soft hands. go back to your zoom calls and emails on your $3k macbook
>>
>>2844464
>Bolting directly to the wall stud frame work.
My walls are concrete
>>
>>2844470
Bolt directly into the concrete stud frame work
>>
Eurofag here with brick walls, go to your hardware store and get some wall anchors, even the basic bitch fischer ones are rated for like 25kg each.You just need an impact drill
>>
>>2844447
How do you get to those shelves, btw?
Isn't it going to be a hazard?
>>
>>2844501
Check out the gangway hugging the wall.
>>
>>2844503
What the fuck is a gangway?
That board on the left?
What's it supposed to do?
You want to support it by the walls and walk over it?
>>
>>2844507
>What the fuck is a gangway?
What did google say?
>>
>>2844508
I just looked at images. It's one of those things you use to go from the peer to the boat
>>
Lag bolts into the studs would provide enough support. My concern would be walking on what looks like 1/2, 5/8 at best, pine planks reinforced with the same size strapping. And the strapping doesnt look like it rests on the opposite cleat. Bulk up all those parts, maybe even use aluminum c channel and yea
>>
>>2844470
Alright, then use a hammer drill
>>
>>2844456
Please stop consuming onions products.
>>
>>2844507
Landlubber detected.
Aye, what a scurvy lot we has here
>>
>>2844451
So that's why the onlyfans stream got interrupted
>>
>>2844566
kek'd
>>
>>2844470
>My walls are concrete
Go to any hardware store and buy a hammer drill with an SDS chuck, a drillbit of whichever size you thing apropriate (4 to 6 is what i consider standard) and a box of pic related. Drill a hole, tap the plastic piece in with a small hammer, put your shelf up; put the screw through the hole. Most store bought shelves shuld come with steel tabs on which you hang the shelf - those tabs have washers. You put the screw throught the washer in order to hold the mounting tab in place.

Thre are concrete screws that are direct drill, but those suck for anything havier than a picture frame.
>>
I assume most diy is not safe, but this looks no different from most subfloors.
Tension on the underside would be my concern, composite material can allow for a reduce profile ie fiberglass wood fiberglass.
The hinge is awkward your applying rotation away from the wall leveraged by the distance from mounting hole to hinge. Forces over time think an arch pushing its weight out. A sloppy hinge or something that allows for movement beyond rotational allows for a separate support under the hinged side reducing/removing arch like forces. Most of the mounting stuff is all sheer so nails offer better sheer than screws for the same diameter. little bit of chamfering to the platform on the hinged side should reduce binding as it is rotated and lifted past the support then lowered, think can

Tldr: looks like it will push out the wall opposite the hinge and/or jam as the hinge stretches, goal should be all forces down.
>>
>>2844888
>can
Did you mean cam?
>>
>>2844479
>You just need an impact drill

No.

>>>2844534
>Alright, then use a hammer drill

No.

ROTARY HAMMER.
>>
>>2844888
Jesus fucking christ what a retarded shitpost.
>>
>>2844880
SDS Max 5/8 chads report in
>>
>>2844566
What the fuck is a landlubber?
>>
>>2844880
>(4 to 6 is what i consider standard)
I would go with 8mm and use IKEA -style triangle supports. First drill pilot holes using 6mm and then enlarge them with no 8, because you don't know how to drill straight and the hole is conical now.
>>
File: LathAndPlaster.jpg (19 KB, 250x187)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2844456
>tiny horizontal studs, 2" on center
Lath and plaster. The horizontal boards are not load bearing. Only a surface for the plaster. Still need to find the vertical studs.
>>
File: PXL_20240825_183444726.jpg (437 KB, 1526x1146)
437 KB
437 KB JPG
>>2844923
>ROTARY HAMMER.
Maybe if you're trying to core a 1 inch hole in poured cement full of rebar 100 times. I bought a 12 dollar hammer drill from harbor freight and It can easily put 1/2" holes in 50 year old cement with a good bit. I abuse the shit out of it. SDS is for people who need something to last putting hundreds of holes in a week for years.
>picrel
>>
File: 1706308136195656.jpg (86 KB, 634x810)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>2844880
this board is fucking cooked.
>Needing an SDS hammer drill to hang a fucking shelf
>Suggesting they use shitty plastic wedge screws because tapcons "Suck for anything heavier than a picture"
this dude is hanging some shelves. Get the cheapest corded hammer drill you can find (because it's cheaper than renting an SDS) HF is like 10 dollars but I think they stopped making them and they're 20 bucks on amazon. Use a 3/8th inch tapcon ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tapcon-3-8-in-x-3-in-Hex-Washer-Head-Large-Diameter-Concrete-Anchors-10-Pack-11413/203770115 ) to mount the shelf brackets and it will never come out. Tapcons in normal pour concrete have like a 3000lb shear limit.
This board is so full of gearfags, rentoids, and post cognitive decline boomers it's insane. they'd have you spend hundreds of dollars to hang a fucking shelf. The point should be doing everything as cheaply as you can to get the results that you desire. a 20 dollar box of tapcons, a 12 dollar hammer bit and a 10 dollar drill will work fine. Will it be as nice as a 200 dollar SDSMax bosch pro drill and a 30 dollar SDS bit and stainless wedge anchors? Of course not, but it's a fucking shelf you're not securing a vehicle lift to the ground or some shit. 99% of this board has about as much of a need for an SDS drill as they have need for a 7 inch angle grinder or a magnetic core drill.
>>
>>2845115
The shelves aren't the issue, the walking board is.
>>
File: 1660003378035636.jpg (36 KB, 600x600)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>2845115
>SDS hammer
that was a side discussion when anotehr anon mentioned he had concrete walls.
try to keep up..
>>
>>2845103
On proper concrete a hammer drill will simply fail to produce any hole whatsoever and merely cook your drill tip with friction.
Hammer drills hammer thousands of times per second with basically no force whatsoever and spin way too fast.
They're totally useless tools, try turning off the hammer function, the progress will be nearly identical.
They just make a lot of noise, they don't actually aid in the drilling process.
Rotary hammers are 50 bucks, no reason for hammer drills to exist or to be produced at all in 2024, they're obsolete.
>>
>>2845115
>>>2844880
>this board is fucking cooked.

Yeah cause of RETARDS like you who don't even read the OP's post about living in a CONCRETE house.

>Get the cheapest corded hammer drill you can find

Go kill yourself.

>200 dollar SDSMax bosch pro drill

Bosch is trash you idiot.
>>
>>2845199
>try turning off the hammer function, the progress will be nearly identical.
wrong
>>
Drill hole.
Fill hole with tooth picks
Cut off excess tooth picks
Use drywall screws.

That's it. It'll be way stronger than you need it. Works with tile too.
>>
>>2845199
nah it just werks unless you hit metal rebar reinforcement
I've drilled many a hole in reinforced concrete with just a humble hammer drill
t. former commieblock slav
>>
>>2845115
Read OP's posts you retarded niggerlover
>hammer drill
lol.lmao even.
> tapcon
no wonder you mutts make houses out of plywood.
>200 dollar SDSMax
the cheapest SDS+ battery operated 20v perforator is 45 euros
>>
File: EspacioDeAlmacenaje.jpg (3.64 MB, 3120x4160)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB JPG
I built this storage space for a friend. It easily holds the weight of a couple of people.

I fastened two 2x4's on each wall with hex screws and anchors for concrete. I then placed wood boards over them and screwed them onto the 2x4's with sheetrock screws.
>>
>>2847826
You could use concrete nails to fasten the 2x4's to the walls and use wood nails to fasten the wood boards to the 2x4's.
This way, you would only need a hammer and a saw to cut the wood to size.
>>
File: IMG_20240909_102537.jpg (2.44 MB, 5664x4248)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
I have a huge stairwell that I'd like to add storage to since the house is so small, it's got the tallest ceiling space of anywhere in the house. I'm not sure how to proceed to allow safely getting things off the shelves though. Coolest would be some kinda drawbridge but I ain't doing all that anytime soon. The far side is actually a wall in the closet upstairs, could expand it out a bit and make the coat closet a walk in from the other side.
>>
>>2847901
OP here, I've been thinking about a ladder that folds down, like you sometimes have with attics. The bottom would have to neatly rest on the one of the steps of the stairs.
>>
>>2844470
Then why on earth are you concerned your walls couldnt hold a few shelves? Are you planning to store Uranium on them?
>>
>>2845115
>this board has about as much of a need for an SDS drill as they have need for a 7 inch angle grinder or a magnetic core drill.
But I do need those things. I swear I can stop buying tools anytime I want.
>>
>>2845402
>the cheapest SDS+ battery operated 20v perforator is 45 euros
And will burn through its motor after about 45min of use.
>>
>>2848776
Look closer anon, there's a walking board attached to the wall.
>>
>>2848897
>4cm particle board
LOOOL I just noticed that, are Stacys on a suicide mission? What are they thinking
>>
>>2849586

>Anons can't tell the difference between particle board and plywood

This is /diy/ posting at it's finest
>>
File: ayooo.jpg (119 KB, 518x778)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>2848776
don't be a pussy, go get the stairway jar with a dollar worth of dried beans. hook in real hard with your toes and grab some popcorn too.
>>
File: lets go.jpg (120 KB, 518x778)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>2849939
>>2849586

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.