[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_3008.jpg (245 KB, 1280x560)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
What’s your favorite abrasives?

I used to be a retard thinking
>hurr durr, just glue some sand to some paper, how hard can it be
and just bought some random ass Lux tools or wolfcraft at my local Baumarkt, but then I saw the light!
Sanding mesh/net.
Holy shit, compared to lux tools, Mirka abranet is existing in a completely different dimension!
But desu, turns out there’s also good paper. That Raxx stuff is quite good too and kwb is okay, but damn, are those no name brands utter and total crap.
Just missing some good sanding fleece, and I’m good.
What’s some other good stuff ff I’m missing?
What sand-brands doy fellow burgers have?
>>
>>2847138
Why are you sanding ceramic or porcelain tiles?
Maybe there is something wrong with you.

I use a concrete paver to smooth out the edges of tiles, it works great and is basically free.
>>
If you aren't using 3M you are literally retarded and contemptuous of your own time and money.
>>
>>2847149
High dolla balla!

>>2847138
Anybody else use this Sandnet shit?

After a little use, feels like they don’t work as fast as a brand new regular sanding pad, but they last like 3x longer before totally going to shit. I like em for projects where I’m going to be sanding a lot and don’t need 60# to remove tons of material fast.
>>
>>2847149
>I pay a brand premium for pebbles glued to a piece of paper guise!!
I'd honestly question who the retard is in this constellation.
>>
>>2847149
Hint
a lot if cheaper brands buy 3m cubitron grit and mix it in their own paper. Most brands dont have the capabilities to produce the raw abrasive particles in the first place
>>
>>2847157
For wood the bonding and spread is more important than the abrasive itself, thats where cheap paper fails. Stuff like estra works for a long time despite not being fancy ceramic
>>
>>2847138
Yeah dude I definitely need this thread I run through them like an Illinois 6 runs through dudes on tinder in a big city
>>
>>2847138
>I used to be a retard
>used to be
>>
There was this woman i worked with. She was very well educated and came from a very abusive background. She was very bitter. She was also quite ugly.

She was passed over for many promotions and became the company anti-HR person. If you got her inspired to take your side, no amount of corporate or labor union bullshit would stick.

She was, in essence a get out of corporate jail/keep your job card.

She was, and still is, my favorite abrasive person
>>
>>2847203
Did you have to eat it regularly?
>>
>>2847138
3M and mirka, all i use.
>>
>>2847166
> Illinois 6 runs
Can you explain this one?
I’m only asking because you made this post a while back that I thought was serious as first, but then I realized it was a bunch of jewish history and I laughed so hard when I realized half my drink went out through my nose.
>>
>>2847138
I picked up some hercules 80 grit sandpaper from harbor freight for taking down bondo and it seems to work really good. Takes like 4 times as long to get clogged as the red colored kind you'd find at walmart.
>>
File: image.jpg (2.67 MB, 4032x3024)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
>>2847406
Yes but when you get to the Hercules pricing on consumables, you might as well buy Diablo or 3M, so why even go to HF and risk it when it costs just as much as buying a trusted name brand?

Live and learn, Harbor Freight isn’t even worth the trip most of the time.
>>
File: image.jpg (2.16 MB, 4032x3024)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>2847406
>>2847583
Also don’t forget to check your local Lowe’s for clearance deals!

While it’s not 3M, they were clearing out tons of sanding stuff a couple months back, i missed out on some super cheap 5” discs but I paid like $2/ package for this Craftsman super fine grit 1/3 sheets and Gator full sheets. IIRC it was like $11 total. That’s one of the hero buys after the $11 Cobras and that time JB Weld was discontinued at Target.
>>
>>2847585
>use for wood, metal, paint
thats how you know its trash
>>
>>2847585
I also picked up a bunch of those gator full sheets a few months back, cut them into 1/4 sheets to use with the sanding block I made and for the price I've been perfectly satisfied with them
>>
>>2847616
I don’t mind the Gator stuff either. The purple 3M is best but Gator is definitely a step above cheap Warrior HF junk.
>>
>>2847138
>>hurr durr, just glue some sand to some paper, how hard can it be
it's not sand
>>
>>2847268
Those posts were a 30 day ban from 4chan lol
>>
>>2847684
But why call it sanding, then?
>>2847593
> >use for wood, metal, paint
>thats how you know its trash
Why/how?
>>
>>2847227
norton is also good
>>
>>2847138
Flitz for polishing, 3M sand paper for coarse sanding, Stevens International sanding sticks for dinner/difficult to reach places.
>>
>>2847687
Do it again.
Come on do it.
Do it.
Do it.
Do it.
>>
>>2847138
is it true that hand sanding paper is cheaper than stuff for shit like orbital sanders
then why not just buy machines that use regular sanding paper and why can't those machines make a round motion
>>
>>2848309
I have a cheap sander that takes 1/4 sheets this was a boomer thing to do

The problem is the foam padding deteriorates with time and use so better off buying the round kind meant for sanders
>>
>>2847138
I like 16 grit zirconia belts.
>>
>>2847138
Depends. what are you rubbing?
>>
>>2848331
Replacement adhesive foam pads are cheap.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.