[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sandblasting-process.png (561 KB, 800x533)
561 KB
561 KB PNG
sandblasting without sand, is it possible? my shitbox is rusting so i was thinking about how to fix it but the neighbours would kill me for clouding them with dust
>>
>>2847380
>complicated solution
Dry ice blasting
>easy solution
Move your shitbox somewhere else and do it there
>>
>>2847380
use walnut shells and tell them it's a free range organic aromatherapy supplement
>>
>>2847380
Check how bad the rust is. If it's not to bad (aka if you can't pry pieces loose with a screwdriver) just soak it in boiled linseed oil with thinner (1:1- 1:2), let it dry, and paint it over. the oil hardens, locks in the rust and stops it from rusting further.

If it's worse, your best bet is a clean-strip disc on an angle grinder or drill. The result doesn't look as nice as sandblasting, bu works just as good for painting.
There's also "blasting wheels" that are basically hardened nails on a rubber wheel. Those give a surface like sandblasting, but if a nail flies of, it's going to do some damage.
Finally, if you want to spend lots of money, there's needling. Basically a tattoomachine with hardened needles and a lot more force. Also gives a result comparable to sandblasting and is safer, but the machines are expensive.

>inb4 brush wheels
Those only remove loose rust, while polishing any solid rust left. The result looks slightly darker than steel, similar to tarnished silver, but will contain pores with enough air and moisture left to start rusting again immediately. If you're really poor and can't even afford a couple CSD, you can use a wire brush, then follow up with some sandpaper to remove the polished layer, and soak in linseed oil w/ thinner. That works (I did it on my car when I was in university, still holds 10 years later), but it's an absolute pain to do.
>>
>>2847380
I think you just need to tell your neighbors to...pound sand.
>>
>>2847419
those heavy knotted wire cups are alright for removing flake rust, and I think easier to use on a drill in small awkward spaces than an angle grinder. I've become a fan of the silicone carbide strip discs though, they are very fast at removing any material, they're just a bit pricier.
>>
>>2847380
There's something called dustless blasting. it doesn't make dust, just a fuckton of mud but you just shovel it out
>>
>>2847380
Yeah, wet-sandblasting. Deboss Garage just tried a cheapo setup. It's a nozzle, hooked up to a pressure washer that sucks up the sand into the water stream. Seems like is does an OK job, for getting really crusty shit off.
>>
File: k.jpg (135 KB, 1280x720)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>2847380
you could get a sand blasting atachement for the pressure washer, i think the water should keep the dust down.
>>
Saw something about high temp hydrogen and rust. Might be too hot for most paints.
>>
>>2847380
Laser rust removal.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3wR6UZELw34
>>
>>2848442
>sand blasting with photons
>>
maybe high pressure water jetting, I think you can rent units strong enough to take off rust, not sure on cost though
>>
No one has mentioned soda blasting? Did it have a secret cost I haven't heard of?
>>
why not electrolysis? you dont need to dunk your rusted car into a container. you just wrap the sacrificial metal with a cloth and wet the cloth with the electrolyle and rub on the rusted metal. you can even hardcore cheap it out using steel wool as sacrificial. doneit and works the best, because it turns out the very close surface contact heats up both metals so much you end up blacking the metal, protecting it against future rusts. no other derusting method does this.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.