[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

any recommendations for lockpicking sets? I want a jack of all trades that can work with multiple locks, especially tubular ones
>>
>>2848141
get a job, Tyrone.
>>
sets are a waste with lots of useless junk
if you want tubular just get good tubular picks
as for the pin tumblers the real trick is good tension so get an assortment of wrenches, the thinner the better
for picks anything will do, you just want a few basic shapes to cover the bases, however the extra thin sets are nice for small padlocks and certain cabinet locks etc
don't forget your plug spinner, without that some locks will be very annoying
>>
oh I forgot to mention, my very favorite tension wrench is the "wishbone" style that grabs from the top and bottom of the keyslot which gives you a lot more room to work with the pick
also a set of jigglers is nice to have for speed and convenience
>>
>>2848141
I would go with covert instruments.

Created by youtuber Lock picking lawyer, he seems like a pretty smart dude. I don't have any locks to pick I just watch his videos because they're interesting.
>>
File: Just Business.jpg (489 KB, 2048x1536)
489 KB
489 KB JPG
A friend gave me one of these and I keep it as a novelty. Would this actually be useful in the real world?
>>
>>2848259
yes but the tension wrench will be shit
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 275x183)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>2848259
It's a skill that you develop over 1,000 hours. Some can't. The quality of the tools is a second step concern.
>>
>>2848211
Cops watch youtube too.
>>
>>2848141
Lockpicks are a meme and a hobby unless you're trying to get into an area and lock the barrier behind you using the same lock undamaged. Most locksmiths drill out the pins and then replace the cylinder and rekey the lock. Some can impression a new key for you but thats a rare skill these days. Your picrel is a set of auto jigglers that dont really work. They're just for thieves to open car doors who are extra stupid and lack a slim jim. They don't work in the ignition. That said, if you're not a criminal who gets frisked, it's not a bad idea to keep a small rake and wrench in your wallet or elsewhere and know how to use them for emergencies since most people dont keep a battery drill and carbide bit on them. I've gotten myself into my own place of living on a few occasions. 7 pin security doors arent easy to pick so build up your experience for that. Practice. It's the hardest skill to master.

FYI its illegal to possess burglary tools despite their availability on the market so dont fuck around.
>>
i played wiht lockpicking as a kid
as an adult i find bolt cutters, grinders, and kicking to be much faster
only reason to lockpick is to hide the interaction which would only be in niggardly conditions
>>
>>2848141
For wrenches, I like sparrows

I’m a big southord Max guy but most people prefer Peterson or some of the sparrows some of the newer people like covered instruments from LPL

Or for me I just stick to SPP with my max I have it in 25,000 but they came out in 20,000 which I would highly recommend

If I were starting off a new lock pick her today, I will probably get home some 50 Thao turner‘s top of keyway and 20 foul entry-level profiles shall hook our void rakes. Only thing you can rake open these days is a master lock you can SVP a master lock no, no big deal save your money on rrakes

Yeah, with a shower hook and a 50,000 Turner you can do most tubular walks SPP most pinto Boyers most dimples some disc retainer but you’re more likely gonna have to shell out and buy the sparrows Bosnian Bill peck and it’s not cheap and it’s not really for entry-level so Probably skip it until you know what you’re doing
>>
>>2848259
>>2848269
If the tension wrench is meant to be bent at the pinch point, then those are not hardened and will bend and wear a lot faster. Meant for single use in a pinch, much more of a novelty item.
>>
>>2848141
Pic related is just generic set of auto-jigglers, I have those as well and they are okay but mainly for breaking into old cars or opening some bigger wafer locks. As a rule of thumb, avoid cheap lockpick sets because the quality of those really matter and you really get what you paid for. Regardless, you should ask yourself first if you want to participate in locksports or want to get into practical lockpicking, since those are 2 slightly different things. If its the former, get yourself some beginner lockpick set like Sparrow's Kickstart or Covert Instruments FNG and just practice, preferably with locks that you own, you should also avoid picking locks that you rely on. If its the latter, then be aware than SPP is practicaly out of the question, so you should focus on raking instead (worm rake, city rake and decent set of tension wrenches should be enough in this case). In case you don't know about bypasses, check them out as well, since a lot of locks, especially in north america, can by bypassed by anyone with 2 working braincells (in this regard you dont even need to learn anything).

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.