[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Expect some downtime in the next few minutes for upgrades!

[Advertise on 4chan]

dumb question.
i run DeWalt tools, I repair all my own tools.
what's stopping me from buying broken DeWalt tools, repairing them and then reselling them as working.

I'm assuming there is some type of hitch to this otherwise everyone be doing it
>>
>>2848692
Yes, there is a hitch
People don't know how to fix their toold and or don't want to get their hands dirty
Also you have to pay taxes and register an llc or gmbh or whatever the fuck your country wants
Also people have to know about you for the to bring their tools to you instead of buying a new parkside for 14.99 €
I could go on, but you get the jist of it
Maybe you should move this thread to /biz/
>>
>>2848699
>Also you have to pay taxes and register an llc or gmbh or whatever the fuck your country wants
not if you sell as "refurbished" on Craigslist and not offer repair as a service
I'm sure there are legal details I don't understand but fuck taxes. Politicians deserve nothing.
>>
>>2848699
I'm already a indepent contractor. I already have a LLC and am registered as a business.
that's not my concern. why isn't everyone just doing simple tool repairs rather than working the trades.
>>
>>2848703
I earn about 100 euros an hour as a contract electrician. What is your earning for repairing some tools and then selling them, considering the amount of time you end up losing on selling, talking to customers, shipping?

Thats why.
>>
The hitch is who the fuck is going to buy used tools?
>>
>>2848703
Because tools are made to be disposable, and that includes intentionally making them hard to fix.
>>
>>2848736
There’s a market for them but…

I have come across this with yard equipment. When you’re dealing with chainsaws and weed eaters and little shit like that, you can buy a new homeowner grade one for $100-$250, which is similar to power tools, so your used one on the market will bring like $60-$150 depending on condition and new cost. With that, you pretty much have to get the broken one for free, because if you pay $50 buying the broken one, it’s an easy repair requiring no parts, you still have a bunch of labor in buying, repairing, and selling the thing. So if you sold the repaired one for $100, is the $50 profit worth your time to buy the broken one, open it up and diagnose and repair it, list it for sale, and then deal with the dumbasses from the internet? And if it needs parts, they’re often expensive. A circuit board for a brushless tool will cost at least half of what the tool cost new.

And with power tools, there’s upgrades every 18mos on the big brands, so a $200 bare tool new in box is really only worth $125-$150 when the new model with better specs is available.
>>
>>2848725
that's fair.
i don't have alot of bills. i do contract work exclusively to pay property tax.
i live out in the woods and produce my own food and shit.
i guess I wouldn't consider it if I was making 100$ a hour either.
>>
>>2848741
i appreciate your insight.

it seems like a time cost sink for most people.

maybe I just buy more expensive broken tools Id otherwise want and repair them for a little savings.

if they are beyond reasonability to repair I can just keep them for parts and buy a new one anyway.
>>
>>2848738
DeWalt has been insanely easy to get parts for and to fix.
worst case has always been waiting on a part from ali baba for 3 weeks.
>>
>>2848743
>maybe I just buy more expensive broken tools Id otherwise want and repair them for a little savings.

That's what I do. My time is not worthless so though I'm good at it and quick it's not worth the effort for resale.

I save much more than "a little" buying industrial equipment for personal use.

>>2848738
Tools aren't hard to fix, but they're so inexpensive it's often not worth it. Measure everything with money. I don't weave my own bog rolls either.
>>
>>2848692
you don't even need to fix them, just sell them to people who don't use them and only buy tools to post pictures on anonymous imageboards (tripfriends)
>>
>>2848692
I thought about doing this because I'm handy with electronics repair. Niggerfaggots on eBay want way too much money for broken tools. Could only work if you have local access to broken tools.
>>
>>2848744
If you can often find parts on Ali for cheap, maybe it’s worth it. But your best bet would be to scoop up broken tools for free whenever you get a chance. Then you get a parts bin going as well with the stuff that’s not worth fixing.

You need a decent source of free or near free busted tools if there’s any chance that it’s worth the labor.

If you somehow find $600 miter saws all the time that only need a trigger, then you’re in the money.

I’m sure dead battery packs that just need a cell recovered would be super easy, but you gotta find suckers who will buy batteries with unknown cycles on em.
>>
>>2848699
>Also you have to pay taxes and register an llc or gmbh or whatever the fuck your country wants
This depends on the profit of you doing this
>>
File: 20240501_070218.jpg (134 KB, 848x818)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>2848855
I unironically know the value of taxes and don't mind actually paying them.
the tax code is so fucked up that legal and morale arnt even close.
I'm morale.
>>2848807
i appreciate your insight
>>2848795
i noticed this
>>2848768
time is the only thing worth anything. it's land for the soul and there is only so much. I suggest you take some back and don't feel like using it in yourself is useless or a waste.

you can't inflate or deflate time. it's value is beyond giving it to some dipshit.
a million dollars or a single minute. I'll take the minute with my wife and kid.
i appreciate all of you and your information. i think I understand the gaps in knowledge I had about this .
the ultimate take away is
tools are basically disposable.
the cost of buying broken is often 50%+ of the new.
low profit margin high time cost

it's a hobby basically. thank you all. i have fixed tools for other contractors. i may just put my name out for something like that as a hobby as I watch my birds.
>>
>>2848912
You could start a youtube channel about fixing tools and make a name for yourself locally
This guy is great:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FwtixqNqFds&pp=ygUTRml4aW5nIGdiaCA1IDQwIGRjZQ%3D%3D
>>
>>2848692
>I eat bread
>I make my own bread sometimes
>thinking about buying enough dough, making lots of bread, and selling the bread to others
Where’s the catch?
>>
>>2849109
I've said nigger alot online in a satiracle and easy to misconstrue way.
i don't know if I want to be famous. I'm not racist but nothing is more fun than playing characters.
>>
>>2848703
>why isn't everyone just doing simple tool repairs
Lots of people are, have you checked amazon, ebay, etc? Loads of businesses selling refurbished tools. It's probably hard to compete, given the absurd cost of "for parts" broken tools, new parts, shipping, etc.

You're also competing against store returns and the like, where somebody buys a tool for one job, then returns it and the store has to sell it wholesale for pennies on the dollar with nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>2848692
most people are retarded. youve been trained your entire life to believe the people around you are, at least, your equals. in reality, you are a superior being, a big brained giga chad, and the ability to 'fix' things is a skillset the average automaton can only dream about

>okay so business

yeah about that, being a gigachad doesnt mean shit when a factory in china the size of your small town is mass producing a million of these pieces of shit an hour. There is a market for repairing medium sized and middle ranged price tools (small engines, stuff like that) but you probably need to be a licensed vendor or some shit. If you wander around you might find an old boomer who fixes and sells stuff, you could probably get more info from them. Its a niche business with a small, but profitable market. problem is conviencing people to trust your repairs,which is hard because these same people are taught to do the exact opposite of that by the large manufacturers..
>>
>>2849185
Government licencing, health inspections, taxes.
>>
>>2848692
You repair cheap tools because that's the only market you have experience and access to. I'm sure there are several members of diy that repair and resell items, but blowing up the spot is not good for business.

A first big jump would be simply picking more lucrative items to service. The retail stores in my area sell nonworking appliances for $20. Even if you don't repair them, they could be resold for parts. If you were very serious about repair business, I would go through the education and tech for large production equipment. When that stuff goes down, the companies will pay a fortune for travel and repair completed as fast as possible.
>>
>>2848692
>Asking a bunch of dust-gathering tool collectors instead of just trying your business idea up to $600 of income then deciding if you should form an LLC or what

Do you have brain damage?
>>
File: 20240826_152929.jpg (3.6 MB, 4000x3000)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB JPG
>>2850058
i was just asking for opinions. i think not asking for insight and just throwing it all to the wind is pretty retarded.

consider this measuring before I measure. "how big you think it is?" before the tape is out, or asking about spending money before I spend 400$ on broken tool lots.
>>2850046

I'm not looking to do anything full time. i thought it give me something to do in the early am before the sun is up as I use to buy knife lots from the airport and repair, clean and resell them. you would be amazed how many people throw away a Benchmade when it's the knife or the air ticket.

But I think there are more productive things in my life and this wouldnt be worth the time.
>>
File: 20240820_150433.jpg (3.19 MB, 4000x3000)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB JPG
>>2850058
if you didn't have brain damage, you would of saw I already have a LLC.
maybe you should do some background research before suggesting something that was discussed 4 days before you got here dipshit.

it's literally all above here.
>>
>>2848692
probably only as a hobby or if you know someone who might buy it from you. i don't think it is feasible long term
>>
>>2848703
By the time you get your hands on a tool that's profitable to flip it'll probably be a few generations behind the curve. People can take advantage of sales a few times a year and get all brand new shit at a similar price.
>>
>>2848692
So I've got a side job doing small electronics repairs and the hitches are

>1. it costs time and energy.
>2. You can't tell how fucked something is from an online listing.
>3. Selling referbed stuff means dealing with the cheapest humans alive.

You can make good money doing it but be ready to deal with people claiming everything you sell was broken on arrival.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.