[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: firework accident.webm (2.14 MB, 688x396)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB WEBM
What's the oldest firework you'd feel safe setting off? My dad gave me some bottlerockets and firecrackers that are at least 15 years old. My wife says it's fine but I don't want my kids getting hurt by some bs.
>>
File: bike supremacy.webm (1.91 MB, 430x242)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB WEBM
>>
>>2848718
until the wicks are soft. i think the wicks are coated in a wax to prevent oxidation maybe a plastic dip they do not seem to be affected by the aging processes. The wick is the timer mechanism letting me get away if there is something wrong with that i would not trust it.
>>
>>2848718
Just grow a pair and fucking light one and see what happens.
>>
If your wife thinks it's fine then you know it's fine. Plus you don't have have to deal with the I-told-you-so's if something does get fucky.

>>2848726
If this is the case, test a couple out with a long lighter or even better a weed burner torch. As long as you're practicing good firework safety and not launching them from your ass or trying to throw them after lighting you should be fine regardless.
>>
>>2848718
Call the bomb squad and let a professional handle it. Fireworks increase in potency as they age.
>>
>>2848718
>bottlerockets and firecrackers that are at least 15 years old
as long as they weren't crushed or exposed to moisture they'll be fine. worst thing that will happen is some of them will be duds.
>>
>>2848718
YOU NEED TO DISPOSE OF THOSE ASAP
YOU CAN BE KILLED!
>>
>>2848720
Unreal. Thanks for posting this. Mind if save it to later share with my fellow /n/ users?
>>
File: 4325234545.jpg (109 KB, 950x950)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
Just don't be foolish about fireworks. I'm comfortable building my own rocket motors from black powder, rocket sugar (niter:sugar 6:4), charges for mortars. But you need to follow the local laws and regulations, and you need to be on good terms with your local fire chief. My buddy does this with the county fire chief in his area.
>>
File: 919392135.jpg (190 KB, 1142x1111)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>2848880
A cake is multiple tubes all fired at once, a barrage is many tubes fired in sequence. These are all wired together to make a fireworks display of a certain period of time.
>>
File: 3563456767.jpg (141 KB, 1100x825)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>2848880
>Just don't be foolish about fireworks.
Just don't be foolish about explosives in general.
>>
File: 92939813.jpg (74 KB, 1068x768)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>2848884
Metal salts are what make the bright burning colors in fireworks, the "stars" as they are called. Different mineral elements. Barium produces bright greens; strontium yields deep reds; copper produces blues; and sodium yields yellow.
>>
>>2848868
i'll allow it
>>
>>2848868
I bet they've never seen it in the 10 years it's been posted
>>
>>2848731
>ne. Plus you don't have have to deal with the I-told-you-so's if something does get fucky.
Yeah. I'm sure if op sets his kids on fire, his wife will totally not blame him for it at all.
>>
>>2848745
If you weren't just making a funny, I'd say "UK cuck detected."
But nobody here is really that cucked. Are they? Unless of course, you really are posting from EU cuck land. And if that was the case, your probably breaking the law just viewing and reading this thread
>>
>>2848720
>James Bond: the high school years
>>
>>2848718
>What's the oldest firework you'd feel safe setting off?
fireworks don't go bad. I have some that are over 20 years old.
>>
>>2848718
Age isn't the issue. It's whether the fireworks have been frozen or not. Many pyro devices are rammed into tubes (rockets are the most common, but go-getters and whistle mix are also rammed). If these items are frozen, the comp separates from tube, providing an additional unplanned crack for fire to pass. Result: catoes (catastrophic events). I had some Space Flyers one year that were stored in a shed. Instead of flying, the whole thing detonated on the ground. Louder than an M-80 (if you've ever been fortunate enough to have shot a real M-80, and not the candy-ass crap they pass off as the real thing).
>>
>>2848718
The fireworks will be fine, but the cheaper fuses can get sketchy AF, when they've been sitting around. If you're gonna light it, use a long grille-style lighter and get ready to run. Absolutely no kids nearby. If it LOOKS like it went out, let it sit for a minute, then hose it and throw it away.
>>
>>2848720
is this real?
>>
>>2848726
This is what has happened to me in the past. It all depends where the stuff was stored. If the humidity got to it and they’re fucked up, the wicks will probably be hard to light or go out on you on some of em, and lighting stuff with short wicks can be sketchy if you don’t enjoy a good time.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.