[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How can I spray this with a paint sprayer HVLP gun?
>>
what are you painting with it? is the goal to basically use it as spray paint? or are you trying to paint a vehicle with it
>>
>>2849210
My shitbox, a gallon is only about $70. Why
>>
>put in sprayer
>spray
Yeah this was worth a thread.
>>
>>2849212
Because it's a terrible paint for that. It's an alkyd enamel which will won't have chemical/uv resistance/hardness. You should at minimum be looking for an acrylic enamel and use a hardener with some reducer.
>>2849214
Oh how wrong you are, you've clearly never sprayed anything beyond a fence that can afford to look like shit. It's too thick, needs to be thinned. You should use xylene to thin.
>>
File: 20240115_103109.jpg (1.9 MB, 4000x3000)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
>>2849208
you gotta thin it with acetone, I got a gallon of that there shit, but I hated the shade so I put like 3 pints of gloss black into the bucket
>>
File: itp.png (1.23 MB, 1078x688)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>2849218
here's a picture of rustoleum royal blue on a miata so you understand why i didnt like it
>>
>>2849208
Just add 1 quart of gasoline as a thinner
>>
>>2849220
Surprisingly close to mariner blue, shame it won't last being an alkyd. Painted many an NA Miata
>>
File: mix.png (32 KB, 1018x740)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
This is the mix I used when I painted my service truck. You might aim for a bit less pressure at the tip of the gun because Id id have a lot of overspray in my shop which was a pain in the ass to clean up. You definitely want to use some of that isocynate hardener. Japan drier makes it set up faster, because without it and the hardener it'll take a month for the alkyd enamel to actually get fully hard.
>>
>>2849217
>Can afford to look like shit
>OP is painting his car with rustoleum
eat sand
>>
>>2849504
the popcorn finish you get without thinner is actually unnaceptable even if it's a piece of shit beater, it absolutely must be thinned.
>>
>>2849218
88? I love those old GM B-bodies.
>>
>>2849608
it's an 80 mercury cougar
>>
I considered it recently but decided against it due to having no enclosed area. imo, the failing paint looks better than a failed attempt and at least doesn't reflect entirely in my lack of skill/budget.

Good article on how to do it. It covers thinning as well, though for rolling not spraying but maybe you'll get something from it.
https://www.cartalk.com/blogs/craig-fitzgerald/how-paint-car-bucket-rust-oleum-and-roller

Practice on some junkyard panels first.
>>
File: 1599085867842.jpg (39 KB, 460x304)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>2849609
I have brought dishonor to my family.
I miss big rwd coupes regardless.
>>
>>2849950
they're ultra rare and alot of people mistake them for a cutlass or malibu from a distance, it was a 3 year low production that bridged the big bodies from the 70s to the aero cars from 1983.
>>
get the "professional" high performance, and majics hardener from tractor supply, 4 paint : 3 acetone/thinner : 1 hardener
>>
>>2849950
Best girl in the game.. damn take me back.
>>
i've seen a truck today that looked like it had a DIY paint job. completely matte. so weird. i wonder if something went wrong or it's intentional

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.