[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I need to replace the diaphragm membrane in a carb. The carb came installed with a common black rubber diaphragm from the manufacturer but I have a spare teflon one from a kit. I have read some different opinions about using these but some say they might be even better than the rubber ones. Some say they will pump more fuel than the rubber ones and may not be suitible depending on the application but is that even a problem? Can an overactive pump make the engine run rich? isnt there some sort of metering-thingy that prevent this?

Carb is a WB 37 btw.
>>
is that what i need to make my leaf blower work again?
>>
>>2849441
yes. 100%
>>
>>2849416
I'd say give it a shot and see, I'd bet it'll be fine if it doesn't leak.
>>
You can adjust the air intake to compensate for richness, to a point. You need to make sure the Teflon material is the same thickness. Then further adjustments can be made by changing the size of the flap attachment. If Teflon is more flexible than the rubber cut the shape wider at the base, from there you can slowly remove material with an exacto blade to fine tune the flap opening to reasonably match the rubber.
>>
File: Ay76164.jpg (71 KB, 710x763)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>2849416
>>
>>2849416
>isnt there some sort of metering-thingy that prevent this?
Yes. The mixture is controlled by the jet size not the amount pumped.
High speed and Low speed fine tuning needles will compensate for any difference in the material if needed.
>>
>>2849416
i have a old ass leaf blower with the same style carb that i refreshed kind of recently. i thought those extra pieces were just for another style of carb. i got a kit from amazon and it seemed like it was for multiple units. i replaced what i took out and it just works
>>
>>2849505
pretty interesting
>>
>>2849505
>>2849506
So when someone says teflon pumps too much what do they even mean? Where would that gas even go? I don't have a return line on my carb
>>
>>2849595
You're over-thinking it.
Install the teflon membrane.
If it doesn't work properly, get a different one.
>>
>>2849701
A simple "I don't know" would have sufficed.
>>
>>2849765
But that anon is right. You are overthinking this. You need a replacement part, you have a replacement part, and now you are afraid to even try.
>>
>>2849787
i could have done that from the start. I was trying to get some information.
If I'm asking how a sewage system works and get the answer "just shit in the bowl, you're overthinking it" it's not really what I was looking for.
>>
>>2849828
This may be incredibly difficult to understand but the way to know is to do. Teflon is of course optimally durable but if you want to get into the engineering then you can study each material, compare durometers etc.

It won't help. If you want empiric testing DO empiric testing. It's a diaphragm. Install it. Note results. Overthinking is normally useless. That may be incredibly difficult to understand but you don't have to LIKE that fact (which may also be incredibly difficult to understand).

Install diaphraghm, note results. I've worked with carbs longer than you've been alive and quite like most of them. Use a bright light and ensure no orifices are blocked.
>>
>>2849828

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6XiGT_HeyuE

I just buy new replacement Chinesium carbs being so trivially priced.
>>
>>2849595
In your cylinder. Fuel level has an impact on mixture richness, hence the need to adjust the float level on float carbs

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.