[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: electroplating.jpg (691 KB, 1500x1527)
691 KB
691 KB JPG
I'm doing a refurbish on an old guitar. Trying to polish up the chrome hardware, and took a look into electroplating. Seems pretty simple, and I might actually invest in a proper benchtop power supply to do it.
Anyone have experience with electroplating? Tips & tricks?
>>
File: file.png (467 KB, 782x782)
467 KB
467 KB PNG
i'll bite, even if this is shitflood/retard spam. there's tons of electroplating guides available online, no small number of which will contain both tips as well as tricks. if you're too stupid to find them, you're likely too stupid to be electroplating anything.
the only time you need to actually electroplate are
>there is no existing plating
>the existing plating is badly damaged down to the base metal
even if it's pitted/corroded, pic related can work wonders. six bucks for a can at hd that will last you years.
>>
>>2850070
I have nothing to offer except that deep acid etching might be of interest if you are fabricating custom hardware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Op6H0C18tM
>>
>>2850075
Nevr-dull is great for chrome but it will rub right through gold plating.
>>
>>2850313
Good thing we were talking about chrome- and not gold-plated guitar parts, then, huh?
>>
>>2850075
> nevr-dull
This shit is based as fuck and ancient
>>
>>2850075
this stuff, cleaning the family silver Would get everybody in the room stoned.
>>
>>2850443
how? was there a gas leak? was the family crack heads? Were they drinking spiked cocktails because there is no way they got high off of fumes from neverdull
>>
>>2850075
Fpbp. Why the fuck are so many of you retards incapable of a simple Google search?
>>
>>2850070
ive done it with an 19v dc laptop battery. its pretty easy. you dont even need to have a liquid container to dip it on. just get one terminal on your dry bare piece you wish to coat and the other one on the metal you wish to coat with. wrap it with a cloth or something that can absorb liquid. dip the cloth on the electrolyle and scrub the piece you wish to coat with. ive done alot of derusting with this technique, its really good for large surfaces you cant simply dunk on electrolyte.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.