[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IP8SS3012Q.jpg (204 KB, 624x416)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
If my water meter is inside my house, does that mean I can rule out a water main leak if I turned off the water supply and the meter is still running? A lot of stuff I read online are houses that have their meter away from their house and a water leak means it's between the meter and the house underground.
>>
>>2850446
Bro if you shut off the water 5" away from the meter with no leaks and the fucking things still going you need to record that and get a lawyer because you're probably owed decades of back pay
>>
File: better call saul.png (360 KB, 640x409)
360 KB
360 KB PNG
>>2850460
>>
>>2850465
I don't get the reference, could you explain this scene
>>
Assuming the meter is turning without you using water, prompting you to investigate for a leak:

Scenario 1
>water meter is before shutoff valve
>water meter stops with valve closed
Water leak is after valve

Scenario 2
>water meter is before shutoff valve
>water meter keeps going with valve closed
Water leak is between meter and valve

Scenario 3
>shutoff valve is before water meter
>water meter stops with valve closed
Water leak is after meter

Scenario 4
>shutoff valve is before water meter
>water meter keeps going with valve closed
You're a wizard and have managed to conjure infinite water from nothing
>>
>>2850446
If the meter is running, that means water is exiting the system somewhere after the meter and new water is coming in to replace it. So if you have the main water shutoff valve closed, and the meter is inside your house and you can see that there are no leaks between the meter and that valve, and the meter is still going, that's kind of impossible. In that scenario there must be an offshoot pipe somewhere between the meter and valve that you're not seeing which is using water.

As for a leak before the meter, that would not be detectable by looking at the meter since a leak before the meter wouldn't cause flow though the meter, it would just lower your water pressure.
>>
>does that mean I can rule out a water main leak if I turned off the water supply and the meter is still running?
it means you didn't actually turn off the water
>>
>>2850859
>>2850890
I was hoping that the meter was broken bu I turned it off and while it did move slightly after it was off, it didn't move at all for the hours after it was off so it tells me there is a leak somewhere in my house. Once I turned it back on, I could hear water moving slightly which tells me that there is indeed a leak somewhere since new water is coming in to replenish the pipes.
>>
>>2850924
You failed to define "slightly"
It's probably your hot water tank or that retard chamber with an air pouch that maintains pressure.

In my water lines, there's a little unscrewable cap, maybe a bleeder valve or something, it looks like a tire valve cap.
Inside there was a dry rotted gasket and after servicing my water lines elsewhere, upon turning the water back on, this dry rotted gasket began to leak. I just took an oring if a similar size, stuck it in there, screwed it back on, and it's been holding.

You could have anything from a running toilet to a bad sink knob that's just slowly fills up and evaporated off before dripping

Or the inside of your walls could be completely saturated and full of mold

A thermal camera and moisture detector can help you find this leak

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.