[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1726576369327039.jpg (184 KB, 2000x1685)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
Use this thread to ask questions you think don't require a thread of their own.

The old thread no longer bumps and is on page 7 now: >>2848293

If you didn't get a response in the old thread, feel free to ask again here.
>>
>>2855601
If I've overheated a chisel using a bench grinder, but only to the point it went yellow on a corner, no blue, have I ruined the temper of the steel?
>>
>>2855642
>have I ruined the temper of the steel?
It's probably fine, just use it.
>>
just doing things is honestly not that mentally stimulating
>>
File: sink example.jpg (221 KB, 1814x1209)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
My sink has a tiny chip at the red spot. It is maybe 1-2mm deep, 2mm wide/long. Can I fill it up with something to prevent it from getting worse and prevent buildup of gunk?
>>
>>2855768
Put some of this on it occasionally.
It's not a permanent fix but it's cheap and easy.
>>
How the fuck do I clean nicotine out of an apartment
For example the curtains and the carpets
I have TSP for the walls
>>
>>2855768

hardware stores sell tiny lil jars or ceramic paint or porcelain paint
not the paint for decoration, but the stuff to repair holes
choose the color to match brand name of your sink, e.g. american standard
>>
>>2855796

wash with diluted bleach
>>
>>2855798
NOT THE DRAPES
>>
how do you draft a gear on paper
>>
My LG TV broke (connects to internet and backlight comes on but screen is blank). It's 5 y old so out of warranty and they want more than the price of a new TV to repair it. I am the type who hates to throw things away that can be repaired but I'm not an electronics guy. Can I fix it armed with a screwdriver and soldering iron? I don't have a discharge stick and they look pricey, is it safe for me to open the TV?

(When I say "not an electronics guy" I mean I can do simple repairs that require soldering but I'm used to 5V so safety with larger appliances is unknown to me.)
>>
>>2855998
Have you looked up how to troubleshoot it? If you are lucky you can get it working through non invasive means. If you are slightly less lucky but still lucky there may be a ribbon cable disconnected somewhere that can be reinserted. There probably isn't anything to solder but idk I'm just pixels on your screen. You have my permission to purchase a new TV.
>>
>>2855642
Straw yellow probably didn't ruin it. You may have mad it a bit softer than it was intended, but you'll be sharpening it over the years again anyway and will probably shave away that portion over time.
>>
>>2855796
Rip out curtains and throw away. Replace carpets with some kind of hard flooring. Who the hell does carpets in this day and age, actual respiratory (bio)hazard. Don't do vinyl or cheap laminate.
>>
I need a one handed recipe saw and a circular saw. Kind of on a budget. Are there any specific old models I should look for in FB marketplace, or should I buy something new and if so what do I buy?
>>
>>2856009
Is there likely to be anything in the TV that can hurt me? Large capacitors for example. There is a warning on the back but it's a generic "do not open danger of electric shock" type message.
>>
>>2856043
no, and chances are good that's it's the control board. you should be able to swap it out with a replacement. leave the power board alone seems it clearly works.
t. used to be an LG repair guy for 13 years

google the model on the back and board swap, someone will have a video, take your time and be gentle, it's not a difficult job with basic screwdrivers
>>
>>2856013
It's for my schizo brother it's subsidized housing built in the '60s.
I already spent 2 fucking grand on junk removal and new furniture I'm not gonna do flooring man
>>
File: why fan no work.jpg (31 KB, 496x308)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
This is as bright as the light on my ceiling fan gets. It has a 100W incandescent lightbulb.

I know it's sort of retarded to use dimming switch with a fan but I wanted it for the light. I used to be able to flip the dimmer knob up and down a few times and the light would pop up to full brightness, but that hasn't worked for weeks.

I kinda want a better ceiling fan anyway, but would like to know the long term solution. Plz halp
>>
>>2856136
Get a dimmable bulb you cheap jewish bastard
>>
I want to make three things:

- I want to make a radio (eventually I'd like to make a software-defined-radio as farfetched as that is but I gotta start somewhere.)

- I want to make a custom USB hub that particularly fits my laptop to extend the two ports I do have

- I want to make a DAC (I already heard how autistic hard this is on just designing one that isn't butt cheeks, I just wanna learn)

First Question: Is this all a /ohm/ issue or a /mcg/ issue, asking because i want to do this from scratch and while I want to learn how to use ICs I also understand the fact that I would need a Microcontroller at some point.

Second question: I want to start but I also need more time understanding the IC aspect of this stuff. Is there a good kit that has a bunch of ICs that I can or will use on a day-to-day basis?

Third Question: Anyone knows a good soldering kit? I genuinely don't know if this is something I should splurge on or just get it off of the chinks.

Fourth Question: Can anyone point me to a general direction that can lead me to doing the above projects at some point?

Final Question: Is there anything else or other equipment I might be missing right now that I would need or would like to have later? Right now, all I got is an Audino uno and simple bread board kit with some resistors and leds and a few sensors that came with this starter kit.

Sorry for the reddit tier long post but I don't feel like dealing with reddit.
>>
>>2856140
it's an old-school incandescent bulb, how can it not be automatically dimmable??
>>
Is there an auto detailing general somewhere
>>
does anyone have any experience with DIY clear coat application? i'd like to know:
>with 2K clear coat in a can, i know that once you activate it, you have to use it all before it goes off - is there a way to cancel or prolong it going off?
>are there any decent alternatives to a spray gun attached to an air compressor? i tried it once but since i have to do it in my backyard, it's just a pain in the butt because it takes ages to set up, it doesn't work on windy days, etc. - is there literally any decent alternative to a spray gun? or what about battery-powered spray guns?
>>
>>2856361
/o/ would be useful for this
I would post in a detailing general
>>
>>2856363
>is there a way to cancel or prolong it going off?
No. It's a chemical reaction like J-B Weld.
>>2856363
>are there any decent alternatives to a spray gun attached to an air compressor?
No. Some tards roll Rust-Oleum on but it's not a decent alternative.
>>2856363
>what about battery-powered spray guns?
What about them?
>>
>>2856369
>>what about battery-powered spray guns?
>What about them?
do they work as good as air compressor-powered spray guns? or are they shit?
>>
>>2856224
Incandescent bulbs burn out sweatie. Have you inspected the filament and tested it in a known good socket? No? You don't deserve light.
>>
>>2856013
>looks sick
>easy cleaning
>water "resistant"
what's wrong with vinyl?
>>
File: 20240930_205004.jpg (3.18 MB, 4032x3024)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
(Pasting from /ohm/ after I read OP)

Hello, I have an electric blankie I got from Aliexpress that I wanted to change the plug from EU to UK. Opened it up to find two smooth white wires. Tested both on the multimeter and they both gave the same reading 0.07 on 20V. What am I doing wrong? How do I find which wire is hot and which is neutral?

I asked my dad and he said it doesn't matter if there are only two wires and they don't have colours/ribbing, he said I can just wire them whichever way I want.

What can I do?
>>
>>2856020
Why a one handed recip saw? What are you doing that you want to go that route instead of a jigsaw or a full sized sawzall? The one handed recip saws are down a lot on power from the full sized ones but still too large to do jigsaw type stuff, they’re sort of a niche tool for plumbers in tight spots and such.

As for circ saws, do whatever 7-1/4” from a decent brand that isn’t beat to shit, they’re all pretty good. Get a fresh blade from a good company, cheap circ saws with good blades do well.
>>
File: Father Knows Best.jpg (50 KB, 500x375)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>2856436
>What can I do?

Listen to your dad.
>>
File: color code.jpg (202 KB, 1280x1337)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>2856436
>What can I do?

You're welcome.
>>
>>2856372
I've never seen an incandescent bulb dim but not completely burn out. You are correct.
>>
>>2855998
if you are getting anything on screen, perhaps it can be fixed, post your model, and if you can add further detail.

perhaps there is no need to open (at least at this point).

>want more than the price of a new TV to repair it.
yeah, that's the mafia, almost anything is too expensive to repair, at the level it's cheapest to buy a new one, or the spare parts are unavailable to end user.
>>
File: s43564563456.png (3.5 MB, 2016x1512)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB PNG
Bought a home, obvious space for the range here.
Should I be concerned about the outlet so close to the stove? House hasn't burned down in its 50 year life, I suppose.
>>
>>2856645
>Should I be concerned about the outlet so close to the stove?
No.
>>
I want to clean up some soft touch rubber laptop with old sticker residue on it.

I don't want to use a solvent to remove the sticker residue since it'll depolymerise the rubber (even more.) I was thinking of using eucalyptus oil or orange oil and a bit of water with paper towels to remove the residue and clean it up.

What do you guys think?
>>
I got one of those turd portable AC units, and it actually works pretty well after I sealed it all up and added an outdoor intake, but the duty cycle is all fucked up. When its near the set temperature it will run for ten minutes, shut off for like thirty seconds, and then repeat all night long. Is there something simple I can do to damp it a bit? Was thinking of putting a slug of metal on the temperature sensor so it doesn't immediately restart as soon as the pocket of colder air dissipates.
>>
how come i can harden a hardpoint saw just fine with my small regular triangular file
>>
>>2856741
Ask your file, seeming as he's the one doing all the work in this scenario
>>
>>2856741
You can sharpen anything with something harder than it. Your small triangular file either has carbide or diamond sprinkled on it or is just hardened more than the saw. However, once the hard points on that saw are filed or grinded away, it dulls a lot faster than it used to.
>>
I'm going to have some home theater type electronics in operation at a 2-day outdoor event this weekend. It will take me about an hour to set up, and an hour to tear down. Will my electronics be safe from condensation or anything else (besides theft) if I leave them outside overnight, turned off, unplugged, with a blanket draped over them? This will all be in an enclosed tent as well. I'd rather not tear down my gear and set everything back up on day 2. I live in Wisconsin, and it should be 45F that night with a 54% dew point.
>>
>>2856825
correction: 54% humidity with a 35 degree dew point.
>>
>>2856686
Ok, my life is now in your hands for the next 10 years.
>>
>>2856645
>House hasn't burned down in its 50 year life
50 years happens to be the life expectancy of home electrical wiring
>>
Speed Queen washer and dryer: yes or no?
>>
>>2856850
>Speed Queen washer and dryer

Yes.

Even the residential models are better than most competing brands.

There's a reason commercial laundromats use Speed Queen machines.
>>
>>2856854
Thanks, I've had enough of the plastic piece of shit I inherited.
>>
How do I get rid of diesel stains and smell?
I’ve removed my heating oil (which is just diesel, but with less taxes and some colorant) tanks from the tank room in my basement and I want to use that room. But beside the general diese stank, I also spilled like two shot glasses worth of oil on the floor.
Mopped it up immediately with some rags but now I’ve got some diese seeped into concrete. How do I get this out? Essentially, I’d guess I need to solve it up, to mop some more and have only some solved residue left that I can air off (room has a window) but what do I best use for that?
Or just paint over it with some basement floor paint?
>>
>>2856825
If you wait until the dew has evaporated from the grass you'll be fine. I leave an indoor stereo receiver in a dank shed by my pool all summer and its fine. I forget how many years its been but the things got an original ipod dock so it must have been a long time.
>>
can you cut stone with a low tpi wood handsaw
>>
I have a geneverse homepower pro 1 and a power mate pm7500 gas generator. When I try to plug the geneverse into the powermate the breaker trips, they're not compatible then? The two 100 watt solar panels that came with the geneverse worked when they first came but now that I actually need them they don't charge the unit. The panels are working and I can plug stuff directly into the panels and they'll charge but they won't charge the actual unit. The car charger that came with the unit that uses the same outlet to charge the unit as the solar panels will charge the unit however. Worthless piece of crap.
>>
I don’t know what the right name is for what I want to do. I’m looking to raise the floor of a 6’x6’ cellar by about 2’ (the cellar will become a crawl space), the final floor will be level with the rest of the house.

So I need to make a wood ’frame’ that is 6’x6’x2’ and supports a walkable floor and I’m looking for the best way to do that. Any ideas?

> why is your cellar 2’ deep
That’s how they were built here back then

> just fill it up with sand/concrete
I’d need to have both the electrical and water meter moved. €2k in fees and takes 20 weeks.
>>
Top load washer failed to start. Then later, randomly started draining all water from the house. It was flowing through one or both of the intake pipes and straight out the drain pipe. Closed both valves.

Had some time to work on it. Opened both intake valves, no water flowed. Removed both intake pipes, filters looked fine. Connected intake pipes. Opened both valves, and water was flowing again. Machine still doesn't start and has no response. Failed sensor reading that it's overflowing?(drain pipe peak is higher than the machine, so it's not siphoning)
>>
File: fukkenbrassfitting.jpg (1011 KB, 2491x1722)
1011 KB
1011 KB JPG
I want to replace the water drain valve on my compressor. This one is clogged and water barely drips despite having 6bar in the tank.
I've tried a 17mm spanner, a 1/4" impact driver with a 6-point 17mm socket, Knipex Cobra, vice grips. Even heating this bastard gently with a crappy blow torch. It won't budge - every attempt only shaves brass flakes off this fucker now.
I don't want to use a chisel, because it probably would break leaving the threaded part in the tank outlet. What can I do about it?
>>
>>2857031
Probably not worth a damn, it will just be friction and barely remove anything

>>2857037
So when you try to recharge the battery brick with the gas generator, the breaker on the gas generator trips? Does the gas generator power other devices fine? Sounds like the power brick or at minimum the charging cord has a short circuit or some sort of issue, especially if the solar panels no longer charge the thing. There’s no way the battery brick would pull more than the 7500w generator can handle.

>>2857066
I would try to unscrew the center plug of that thing, then heat the shit out of the tank area around the drain, then hit it with an extractor or something.
>>
>>2857066
If you haven't cooked it yet, you need to. They're usually installed with copious amounts of permanent threadlocker, you're not going to make progress without a torch. Remove the center, torch the fitting thoroughly, let it cool completely, then torch the tank around it and remove the fitting.
>>
>>2857066
If nothing else works, cut off the protruding valve with a hacksaw then drill out the rest of the brass. Run a tap through to clean up the threads. Obviously make sure there's no pressure in the tank before you start.
>>
>>2857083
>>2857096
These two

If it’s actually brass, by the time you cook off the loctite and drill out 3/4 of it without wrecking the threads, the remainder should be soft and be able to pull it out.
>>
Has anyone found a copy of this?
https://www.harborfreight.com/locking-flex-head-ratchet-and-bit-set-35-piece-58074.html

Yeah I know HF is a copy but I'm in Canada and there's no way for me to get the HF version.
>>
File: chrome_l2ukXxHzdd.png (1.76 MB, 1073x795)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
I'm building a retaining wall and following this pic roughly. Is it ok to change how i lay the fabric and pipe? I don't have a lot of space, i only dug 7 inches deep and 8~ inches wide for 6x6 timber. I was going to put the cloth down and under the gravel base to stop roots from growing underneath. It's taken my all year to hack through the root and stone filled dirty to dig the 32' long trench for this.
>>
File: c2hrome_l2ukXxHzdd.png (1.14 MB, 1060x735)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
>>2857117
the version im planning
the fabric will be different cause it's up against a thick concrete patio instead of dirt on both sides
then i can backfill with a layer of extra gravel and dirt and the cloth will keep plants off
>>
>>2857054
Fixed it, fucking outlet died
>>
>>2857109
Tone and VIM, although both of those don’t really have good Amazon storefronts so not sure what you’re going to pay.

Sunex has a little 1/4” flex head ratchet bit driver set that’s often a great deal on Amazon.
>>
>>2857142
>>2857109
There’s a decent Gearwrench set too. And a couple cheaper Duratech ones on Amazon
>>
>>2857109
>>2857145
Found another rebrand!

This one, the Tone, VIM, and Icon are all the same
>>
>>2857147
>>2857109
One more option:

The Facom set is also the same. Which means you may be able to find it under the Craftsman V Series brand or possibly USAG.
>>
How easy would it be to (partially) refill my pool from a fire hydrant at the end of my driveway? It's not one of the stereotypically shaped red ones, so I'd have to get the right thread size/adapter somehow, and I guess I'm just assuming a large monkey wrench would be able to open it
>>
>>2857142
>>2857145
>>2857147
>>2857152
Thanks. You're alright, Kevin.
>>
What to use underneath when drilling small projects? Something slimmer than scrap wood, like this (what’s it called?)
>>
>>2857232
The green thing underneath is a self healing cutting mat. The wood thing on top almost looks like a wooden clipboard material. Wonder if it’s cork board or something? I would just grab whatever 1/4 sheet of plywood or MDF or OSB and use that. You don’t want anything thin like the cutting mat because there are tons od drilling situations where you need to send the bit all the way through the material. Hell, if you’re using brad point drill bits, you’re going to want more like 1/2” thick sacraficial material under your workpiece if you don’t want to hit the surface of your bench.

>>2857197
That’s what she said.

Fwiw, a bunch of those aren’t copies, they’re the exact same thing. Icon doesn’t have a factory, all of their stuff is rebranded from OEMs that make tools for other brands, so it’s always worth shopping around. That mini bit ratchet, the Facom-Craftsman V-USAG set is exactly the same, and the Tone-VIM-SabreCut is the same tool but without the same case like the others.

The Icon wrenches with the teeth are the same as Milwaukee and Carlyle from Napa. The USA made pry bars and punches and chisels are made by Mayhew, a reputable US brand, and the Mayhew sets of punches and chisels are actually quite a bit cheaper.
>>
TLDR:
Does silicone adhere to silicone?
What would you use to fill a hole in silicone to re-drill and retain a screw?

The bar that holds up my showerhead is loose, it's attached to the wall by two screws that go into two clear silicone plugs in the tile, but the threading must have worn down over time and now the damn thing hangs a half inch or so off the wall.
The plan is to fill the holes with something, let it cure, and then re-drill a small hole to screw it back in tight. What should I use? Will silicone adhere to silicone? Epoxy? I just want the dang screws to sit still.
>>
>>2857248
>Does silicone adhere to silicone?
Yes. It's the only thing that adheres to silicone. I've worked with it extensively and nothing else will adhere to silicone except for silicone.

I can't help you with the rest though, good luck!
>>
>>2857245
Thanks Kevin, you’re a legend. I’ll take your suggestion, but here’s one more image - can you tell what kind of material this is?
>>
>>2857252
Looks like MDF? Basically compressed sawdust. That’s what I had as my last workbench top, it’s good to accidentally send a drill into because it won’t splinter like normal plywood.
>>
>>2857252
>>2857256
Forgot pic.

Also MDF is cheap which is nice since it’s sacrificial, and you can get 3/4” thick MDF for way cheaper than plywood that thick.

Protip, if you decide you want to throw a few sheets of MDF onto the roof rack of your SUV at Home Depot, bring a friend, that shit is pretty heavy when you go that thick.
>>
File: 1427140371313.jpg (221 KB, 1024x1024)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
How do I know the pretty significant idea I had for rearranging half of my kitchen is good or awful
I have a hard time visualizing with my imagination sometimes
>>
>>2856694
I had an a old rubberised pc case I was attached to, but it went all sticky and tacky as the rubber deteriorated. Eucalyptus easily stripped off all the shitty rubber gunk, and left me with nice shiny plastic as I had intended - so probably dont do that.
>>
>>2857265
I'm a visual person and can't draw so I will paste photos of stuff into GIMP and play around with it that way. Even with the angles all wrong it's a big help.
>>
>>2857372
Yeah that's what I do usually but this time it would be to take down the ginormous mostly empty cabinets to make more open space for counter, racking and equipment so it'd be hard to fake emptiness in gimp, maybe I'll try making a high effort isometric drawing or something
>>
>>2857276
I tested on a spot and it's like you say, this oil is a really good solvent. As good as isopropyl at any rate.
>>
>>2857265
Try building it with sketchUp or Blender, both are free programs
>>
>>2857396
You'd be suprised how easily your brain can connect the dots when you give it the right dots
>>
Where can I get wire on a spool that's thinner than a human hair?
>>
File: 42AWG wire.jpg (99 KB, 1316x569)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>2857551
>Where

the amazoon
>>
File: alibooba.jpg (84 KB, 849x672)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>2857551
>>2857556

or alibooba
>>
>>2857556
>>2857592
Cheers my friend
I don't need that much but this seems perfect otherwise
I need it for 1/700 scale cable reels for my model ships
>>
Is this guy's 3d print farm going to fall through the floor?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NaQTWKSSq0&t=615
>>
File: IMG_8981.jpg (141 KB, 1500x1500)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Controller-Compatible-Xbox-360-Joystick/dp/B0CC59Z93Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?crid=200ND5C5CSFP&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.U8nKEfJA5140Bq-nFFrZGra2WIaa-VR3zDdn_5DRpAWv5UhfPHDwK8FtFOHLVxx_fpbv1JOemWNffAV7vN_sK1qaGVqLDq_kk6gdkWn9E9EeAJtVTguXnIfhujqAAIikeQmNO8gVXbOweojRaEDWQd3DQ8M1MaRjr4Zfotmuij0X8yXEHlFTcjhcPNtjvjpoXcVqgrZ0-W-cd1tCXktowA.hy6GK5U2tBxDWPVtW1MJZSu_yX-uDciDEruA33bexnI&dib_tag=se&keywords=xbox+360+wireless+controller&qid=1728068616&sprefix=xbox+360+wireless+controller%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

What kind of screw do I need to open this controller. The buttons are stuck and I need to fix it
>>
File: file.png (1.1 MB, 1280x720)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
I've seen videos with DC motors being used as speakers with little-to-no modifications made to the speaker itself, although often very quietly. I was wondering if it would be possible to make a gear pump or Roots blower that could be modulated while blowing air in either direction.

I thought it might make for cool robot lungs.
>>
File: security-torx.png (425 KB, 768x498)
425 KB
425 KB PNG
>>2857764
>https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Controller-Compatible-Xbox-360-Joystick/dp/B0CC59Z93Q
Security Torx
>>
how do I cut plexiglass(acryllic) or lexan(polycarbonate) precisely? I want to make keyholes for my keyboard. I have no other tool except for a dremel rotary tool, which is not precise enough for this operation(i think).

Also, if the dremel tool(which I bought for this specific project) is not the right tool for this job, shall i return it, or could it turn out to be useful in the future for other stuff?
>>
>>2857792
Laser cutter is the right answer.
If you're set on doing it by hand, you can hog out the bulk (undersize the holes!) with your dremel and then use a file to finish them precisely. I'm not patient enough for that kind of work so it never turns out nice for me, but I believe in you.
You could also potentially 3d print the part you want if you can be flexible with material choice.
>>
File: 1702791096929287.png (371 KB, 1458x773)
371 KB
371 KB PNG
>>2857792
>>2857801
sendcutsend. unless you like tedious hand work
>>
>>2857801
>>2857805
thanks! Unfortunately laser cutting is out of the question too because it exceeds my budget.

drilling a hole and then filing it might work, although it sounds tedious.
I looked up on youtube and maybe a jeweller's saw or a cable saw could work as well?

Worst case scenario, i might have to use something other than acryllic/plexiglass for the keyhole plate
>>
Is it possible for wind to make your attic thud exactly like a heavy bipedal creature is stepping around?

I've been living in a house for 2 years and when it's windy there's some long creaking on a few specific places.

But lately I've been hearing what sounds like short creaking getting louder and quieter and then moving over a room.

To my untrained ears it sounds like a person but I couldn't find any crack heads when I went up there to take a look

So is it raccoons then? What the fuck could move over my entire bedroom in three strides and then be totally silent
>>
>>2857905
anon, your house might be haunted
>>
I have a dumb question about electrical work. I want to do a 220v run into my garage for my welder and car. Im assuming I can put a NEMA 14-50 box in there for the car and use a NEMA 10-50 adapter when I need to use the welder.

Now the problem is how my house is laid out. Its a weirdly designed townhome from the 60's I believe. The breaker box is at one side of the house, and the garage is on the other. There isnt an attic either. Not really sure how to get to the breaker box. I do have an oven in the kitchen thats wired up, and its extremely close to the garage. When I pull the oven out theres a gap behind the cabinets that should run underneath the stairs into a closet in the garage and then I should be able to go through the closet wall into the garage.

Would I just run conduit through the wall about 3 foot off the ground so it goes underneath the stairs and then just run it through the closet wall against the garage wall to the end of the garage?

Im assuming the conduit probably has to be 6 inches above the ground so just doing a straight run from the kitchen to the garage is maybe the best way?

The big question I have though is about tying into the oven? I would like to be able to use my oven still but charging my car and using the oven at the same time isnt going to work. Do I just make an effort to not use one when the other is in use or find some type of large switch?
>>
>>2857912
I think it's just a possum tbqh
>>
>>2857905
>>2857912
>>2857946
Sounds like the legendary Possum Man of New Zealand. Sightings have gone down over in NZ recently so he must have moved into anon’s attic.
>>
>>2855745
It is quite stimulating when you’re doing something you’ve never done and it’s difficult and you can feel fresh neuron pathways taking shape and then some time later from the depths of consciousness conceive of another way to improve the process. Then rinse and repeat and maybe teach someone else if they’re capable of learning.

>>2855806
Grid paper, compass, protractor, ruler, #2 Ticonderoga brand pencil.

>>2856151
You’ll answer your own questions if you buy and electronics starter kit and do all the baby projects first. Cheap soldering irons get hot too. Have fun you masochistic bastard.

>>2856946
Kitty litter

>>2857922
The car is a continuous load and pulls a lot of current. Legally needs its own circuit. If you’re going to use conduit why not run it on the outside of the house from the distribution panel. They make direct bury wire for lazy pieces of shit if that sounds more appealing. Tapping into the stove circuit will cause issues with breaker tripping when you forget to unplug the car before you turn on the oven.
>>
How do I learn how to use CAD software and design my own steel frame greenhouse if I have next to no experience with CAD or designing buildings
>>
what kinda air tools can you use with a shop vac
i'd assume the sprayer that comes with it can also spray paint?
>>
File: lockout tag.gif (119 KB, 1313x686)
119 KB
119 KB GIF
>>2857922
>>2857962
>you forget to unplug the car before you turn on the oven

no one will dare use the stove once you stick one of these official-looking government-approved lock out tags on it
>>
>>2858008
>CAD software and design my own steel frame greenhouse

you dont
it takes 100 times longer to learn the software than doing it by hand
also 100x more frustrating
>>
>>2858045
>thinks subhumans can read
>>
Whenever my AC kicks on, it first spews a giant gust of heated ambient air raising the entire homes temperature one or two degrees before it begins cooling a minute or so later.

Is this a poor insulation issue of the vents or something? Is there a way to prevent accumulation of hot air in vents between the AC cycles?
>>
>>2858077
ductwork should be insulated
if it's in the attic, vent the attic
check the air-handler for leaks in the return side
>>
I need to clean out my car's fuel tank but I cannot get my arm in to scrub it. Does anyone know if you can get beads to swirl around the tank to scrub it or if such a thing doesn't specifically exist what can I use? metal is out of the question because the tank is plastic. I'm thinking: get some rough plastic beads from a craft store and use those.
>>
>>2858093
It's called sand and gravel, anon. Works in plastic tanks just as well as it does metal ones.
>>
>>2855601
1) I have 3 electric drills, 2 battery powered, one cord powered, how do I tell which drill is the most powerful?
2) When I was taking out a screw I was hearing a TICK TICK TICK every couple of seconds, I watched the head of the screw thinking I'm camming out but if it did happen it was going so fast that I didn't see it happen, I thought about throwing it out just in case because its rusty and I do have other Philips heads but the other side is a flat head and I have no idea if that flat head is good or not, should I keep it or throw it?
>Wtf is this question?
I tend to forget about screwdrivers or drill bits being worn that they strip the heads of the screw and I don't want to damage screws in the future. Speaking of stripping:
3) How can you tell if a screwdriver or drill is warn out that it will strip screws? My dad was never a good handyman and he would strip screws all the time, I didn't even know that screwdrivers and drill bits wore out until I did independent research. Our family is pretty hard on tools so maybe we are just using too much pressure or buying cheap screws or something?
>>
File: tenor.gif (2.86 MB, 360x192)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB GIF
>>2858130
>>
>>2858130
1. The corded one is higher voltage.
2. Screws are cheap. If you strip one don't sweat it. Just replace with a screw that isn't stripped.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/iFwevs-Splitter%EF%BC%8C14-50R-Receptacle%EF%BC%8C10AWG-Flexible-Extension/dp/B0CHFBKXVX/ref=sr_1_5?crid=D58AB9RZ1I9C&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.l1sgVZQYMbKR4FxKs729YaJUVadmS6MXq58LZVPg6Q7Ur76EoCMF4mK01QLxao5suk_nJAXEJ2l0rLeM3SU9UE2JDxtB88-hMigMax4_VjKm2m3zDwl0qlxeBirqtYkvZEJt1ZBEHfHIllAXp7myAEMFuD3L1GjpUpcMZrLBopj-DsY1AIGxPGMa1VmSozIIVD4XefO-7pijfhhSNf0S2B5LFSKMZpI4uqJFy4jk7WUa9a1hi8ERoMbuuanjeSz21ZetZ9M_iRzeHkPdJkloLeQsSjoqE4lpa2fe74ZSR_U.MtudEhBKTS3joVtVjRvZQr8JqXRym7WgQOcZcDQBzvo&dib_tag=se&keywords=50+amp+y+splitter&qid=1728176422&sprefix=50+amp+y+sp%2Caps%2C127&sr=8-5

What is 6/3, 8/1 STW AWG? Does this mean the wire is 6 gauge throughout and the 8/1 is maybe some type of jacketing or plug?
>>
>>2855998
It's LG so 99% chance that it's a blown capacitor on the power supply, LG are cunts and the caps are just cheap enough to last the warranty and blow up soon after, they got it down to a science. Look for little cylinders on the power supply, if one of them is bulged on the top is dead. But be aware if you change the one that is blown the other arround it will also start blowing up one after the others.
>>
>>2855998
It's a LCD panel dude, not a cathodic tube with 950v caps or anything crazy like that, everything in there is low power
>>
>>2858170
>What is 6/3, 8/1 STW AWG?

4 Prong Splitter with four conductors.
3 are #6 wire and 1 is #8 wire
The 'ground' wire doesn't need to be as large as L1, L2, and N
>>
File: window.jpg (119 KB, 898x561)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
lads, what the fuck is going on with my windowsill? should I be worried about this bulging and paint coming off?

I didn't notice this until I moved some shit and blasted my window frame with steam (it was like this before the steam), who knows how long this has been going on.
>>
I can't get it through my dad's thick fucking skull that he needs 3 conductor (plus ground) to wire three way switches.
>>
>>2858185
Thanks, that what I was thinking after typing that up.
>>
File: IMG_1945.jpg (3.02 MB, 4032x3024)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
I want to make a custom container to put different-sized bottles and other objects in. Essentially to hold things upright and keep them from sliding around in my car. Something like pic related but about twice as big. Also, I need four of them.
What’s the solution here? I talked to a guy about 3d printing them but he is saying that what I want to do is too big.
>>
>>2858098
Sand would be too fine as I would be able to easily pour it out.
>>
>>2858248
>would
wouldn't
>>
>>2858227
Any container with some styrofoam and a hole saw? Or like a milk crate, two pieces of plywood cut to fit in the crate, then cut out the bottle shapes in the plywood and zip tie them like 1/3 and 2/3 of the way uo the milk crate.
>>
>>2858205
water damage
It could be seeping in from outside or it could be moisture collecting on the pane from the inside and dripping down to the metal then over to the right.
capillary action carries it across where the seam is
>>
I want some low profile knobs for a few encoders, is there anywhere I can find this kind of shit in a good selection or is my only real option just making them myself?
>>
>>2858323
this window is under a patio roof so theoretically there shouldn't be any water reaching it from the outside, does that mean it has to be condensation?

I'm getting it replaced soon with a double-pane, if they come install it and pull the old window out is it gonna be all rotted inside?
>>
File: 1705388685468.png (2.27 MB, 1585x1049)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB PNG
>>2855601
i have a large three phase motor that I need to control. It has a shaft protruding from the top, turning it changes the speed. I need to drive it even slower than the inbuilt controller will let me. will a frequency converter work?
>>
File: tool tote.jpg (511 KB, 1500x1423)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
>>2858227
You're trying to reinvent the wheel. Just screw some wood together.
>>
what problems arise when using resonant inductive coupling to transfer power? I don't mean wireless charging, I mean like powering a device strictly from induction.
>>
>>2858130
4) I just found another corded drill, how do I tell which one is more powerful?
>>
>>2858488
>which one is more powerful?

put on a glove and squeeze the chucks until they stall
which one required more force?

if you need more measurable approach, drive 3-inch screws into hardwood
which drove it deeper before stalling?
>>
>>2858501
There's no label on the side of it that tells you?
>>
File: Kotatsu.png (1.3 MB, 1652x1318)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
I'm purchasing this 100V kotatsu for an American home. Power ranges between 501-600 W

Will a (this) 1,000 watt 100V to 120V convertor be sufficient for not burning my house?
>>
>>2855998
Like other anons said. Look up troubleshooting for you model/brand/issue.
I had an LG that display stopped working.
Troubleshoot guide says hold down certain button on remote and count how many times the red power indicator light on tv flashed.
Number of flashes corresponding to trouble fault.
My case 7 flashes meant one or more LED backlights were bad and they are cheap, easy to replace yourself
Had similar issues with old Sony and the light flash signal count meant a certain diode on a power board was bad
$1.25 for new diode and some soldering job to replace old one and display good as new again.
>>
Is it possible to connect this to a pc. It’s a third party ps3 controller I know nothing about
>>
File: IMG_9208.jpg (2.03 MB, 4032x3024)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>2858729
Forgot pic
>>
>>2858729
>>2858730
>>>/g/
Just try pairing it, heck a wii u pro controller can pair with a computer although you need software to translate the input to an xbox360
>>
File: GFCI.png (358 KB, 588x527)
358 KB
358 KB PNG
I just moved into an old house and almost none of the outlets are grounded. My home inspector told me I can just slap GFCI outlets in them to protect my electronics. I looked it up online and that seems right, but there isn't a lot of information about any drawbacks of doing that. Does it just look tacky, is it just more expensive per outlet in a fresh build? I saw that it might not protect electronics from lightning strikes or something as well. Surely replacing all the outlets with GFCI outlets would be cheaper and quicker than running a ground to everyone? Isn't a GFCI outlet kind of an upgrade anyway?
>>
>>2858765
You only need a GFCI outlet as the first outlet in each branch. The remaining outlets on that branch use the extension terminals at the top of the GFCI and are protected by that first outlet.
>>
File: anime okatu.jpg (107 KB, 1200x833)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>2858721
>sufficient for not burning my house?

sure, it'll get a lil hot, maybe 50W worth, but should be perfectly safe
personally, i'd just hook it up directly, using the thermostat to keep it from overheating
>>
I will be buying new tools, mostly stuff for small home repairs, drill, screwdriver etc, which brand should I go with? I mostly want compatibility like batteries, chargers, various drill bits and attachments. I am in Europe, there are usual brands available dewalt, makita, bosch and others.
>>
There is an old abs water waste pipe (for kitchen sink) with a cracked elbow joint. I cannot replace the pipe.
What's the best way to fix it? I can cut off the elbow (and add new elbow) but I'd rather not.
Would inserting a smaller pipe/attachment into the elbow ( elbow is 90 degree, pointing up) and then glueing it inside work?
>>
>>2858910
Personally, I went mid end. The really cheap stuff won't be compatible with anything, the high end stuff has retarded second hand prices. I went with Einhell, because you can get decent enough DIY stuff for cheap, especially second hand with light use.

Got a shop vac, a lawnmower, a few drills, and I might buy a hedge trimmer next year, and all in I've spent less than 500 bucks. I had some really cheap drills prior that were only 14.4V, and even those are fine for most jobs. Buy multiple drills, you can use one as a screwdriver or for chamfers, 2 half-decent drills are way better than 1 "good" drill because changing bits every 20 seconds on a large job is awful.

>>2858913
If you could even somehow fit a new elbow inside it, you're creating a smaller passage that's more likely to get blocked up with gunk in the future. Just cut and replace.
>>
>>2858915
Thanks
The problem is the pipe is behind integrated kitchen unit. I am afraid of messing it up, I can cut it off once, maybe twice, after that there will be no pipe left, I will attemp inserting another pipe and gluing, if it doesn't work then I will have to cut it. The inside diameter is 5.1 cm, there should be enough left even with another pipe inside.
>>
>>2858917
If you can cut around the elbow you might be able to preserve the pipe ends at both points, so there's no loss of length. Sounds cramped though, so it might not be doable.
>>
>>2858913
dry it completely
J-B Weld
>>
>>2858488
>>2858501
>>2858515
dumping on the drill question
>>
What is this part called?
>>
>>2859048
I answered it myself, its the amperage of the drill, more amps = more power.
>>
>>2859050
thingamajig
auto retract mechanism for log splitter?
>>
>>2859053
Cordless drills normally don’t tell you the amperage. For corded, sure, but more power doesn’t always mean more torque if it has a high speed gearbox.
>>
>>2859087
hmmm, time to go double check that then.
>>
>>2859098
I"ve decided that I'm worrying way too much about this and I"m just gonna yolo it and use the cordless drills lol.
>>
File: 20241008_165353.jpg (1.28 MB, 4656x2218)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
Hello, I am just getting into some entry-level board repairs and I noticed the condition of this fuse on the inside of a Nintendo DS Lite (both fuses looks like this). Based on the condition the outside of this was in, I suspect that an ape tried to do some repairs of their own. Will having excess solder bridging a fuse cause the device to not power on?
I have tested for continuity on the fuses themselves (the excess solder may be giving me a false positive), the power switch (good afaik) and I have a known good battery in it.
>>
>>2859111
Why would bridging a fuse cause a device to fail? Chances are pretty good that something else is broken further down the line, and the last retard just tried a fuse swap which didn't work.
>>
>>2859111
>Will having excess solder bridging a fuse cause the device to not power on?

No. It causes the fuse to not blow and instead burn out other components it was intended to protect.
If you remove the bridge, you're likely to find the fuse is open/blown.
>>
>>2858730
I used to use something called ds3 tools to connect mine
>>
what's a craft that is
1. affordable
2. doesn't take much space
3. can be done indoors but also encourages one to go outdoors
i thought about sewing; it is relatively affordable, doesn't take much space, and after sewing you are encouraged to go outdoors wearing the clothes you sew.
but also im autistic and have no sense of fashion so maybe the clothes i'd make would be too cringe
what are some other crafts?
>>
How reliable are some of those split A/Cs you can find on Amazon, as far as keeping 1 room cool and not blowing up the electric bill (or even lowering it as they claim)?
One room in my house was clearly an add-on years ago, looks nice but has one tiny-ass vent.
Any particular recommendations?
>>
>>2859144
Knitting. You can do it outside, or inside, or anywhere, sitting, standing, doesn't matter. You can even do it while walking after a little practice.
>>
>>2859166
>one tiny-ass vent.
>Any particular recommendations?
install larger duct and vent?
>>
Did we used to have a homestead general?
>>
File: homestead2.jpg (204 KB, 1200x1200)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>2859193
>a homestead general?

it became obselete around 1850
>>
I'm trying to use batteries to melt wires, why isn't important. Which circuit would melt wires faster, series or parallel? I feel like parallel is faster since low voltage/high amps increases resistance, right?
>>
>>2859233
Yes, parallel. Going in series won’t increase the amps, only the voltage. Amps blow fuses and make wire hot, voltage doesn’t.
>>
>>2859193
Not sure. You can always call lehams they're oddly well stocked for life without electricity, be good of you to buy something when you call.
>>
>>2859177
I mean fair and it's a long-term solution.
But it's a cinderblock shithouse and he prospect of cutting into it is daunting for the moment
>>
So I've never built anything in my life and want to make a dual purpose wargaming-dining table that is the correct dimensions for the former and at least matches the rest of my home.
Would the cheapest and best way be to use a mould to make my own cement tabletop (all the countertops in the house is cement) and then attach some premade table legs? vid related

https://youtu.be/5dkeT6hVdyY?si=G01jbO4FnaUAPVw3

My alternatives would probably be to buy a huge slab of hardwood at 48"x72" or to just suck it up and buy two tables.
>>
>>2859233
>CONN ECTION
>>
>>2859231
So you don't think people do this anymore?
>>
>>2859233
>melt wires faster, series or parallel?

depends
if you're working within normal battery parameters, series delivers more current coz of ohm's law
current = voltage / resistance
if you double voltage, you double current

but if you're shorting the batteries with wires, it gets more complicated
the predominant parameter then becomes the internal resistance of the battery
in parallel, the internal resistances are halved
in series, they're doubled
as a consequence, it's impossible to say, in general, which one wins
it all depends on the internal resistance
which in turn depends on chemistry and size
>>
File: IMG_2424.jpg (2.32 MB, 3024x4032)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
This hot tub is leaking at the fitting. That black water seal lasted a while but now it's done. How do I properly fix this I don't see how there's room to cut it and slide a coupling in there where the pipe doesn't have hardly any movement?
>>
File: educationconnection.jpg (120 KB, 1773x937)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>2859265
>CON
>NECT
>SHUN
>>
>>2859366
>the pipe doesn't have hardly any movement?
That's hose, not pipe. It's somewhat flexible though quite stiff.
Warm it up and see if you can pull it out of the fitting.
Clean the end of the hose and the fitting with PVC pipe cleaner.
Apply PVC pipe glue and slide the hose back into the fitting.
This type pf hose doesn't react aggressively with PVC cleaner or glue causing this to be a somewhat common problem.
>>
>>2859417
I ended up using a a flexible pvc coupling. I couldn't think of anything else and felt like getting it done. Seems to be working fine. God I hate plumbing and electrical. Almost anything else I enjoy doing.
>>
>>2859084
yes, its leaking. it has a friction seal. i sanded it down with 2000k and put on an oring on the shaft. it still leaks
>>
File: 1722192855234135.gif (225 KB, 1024x1024)
225 KB
225 KB GIF
>>2855601
Tiles for bathroom wall: Matte or Gloss?
>>
I wanna drill some holes in a cheap Chinese computer case I got, it's iron or steel of some kind, 0.5mm. Unfortunately I only have bits for concrete and wood. Would those do the job or do I do I have to to the hardware store and buy ones for metal to not ruin the ones I have?
>>
>>2859592
Wood bits might work. Depends on the type. Masonry bits won't do shit.
>>
I wanna cut sheet metal with a cnc router and then slap the 2d part onto a sheet of glass for a shadowbox effect.

I was hoping to buy adhesive backed aluminum, cut it, then peel and stick it. I am having a hard time finding a supplier who sells anything other than adhesive shim stock or aluminum backed tape for ductwork.

Currently I am cutting bare metal and then spot adhering it, which takes time and can look chintzy if I rush it.

I am also good with buying sheets of double stick tape and doing it myself, but I need wide format tape - like 12" or more. Most tapes in this format are quite thick - I am worried about gumming up the endmill.

Does what I am looking for exist? What do I search for?
>>
File: types-of-drill-bit.jpg (16 KB, 178x584)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>2859593
ive got a set of this kind
>>
>>2859728
Yeah, those are for wood only. I'd recommend buying a step drill bit for thin metal work.
>>
>>2859728
Brad points are pretty much wood only.

Like anon said, step bits are good for thin metal, especially larger holes. Or you can just get regular 135deg split point bits that are good for everything besides concrete
>>
>>2859731
>>2859738
Too bad, okay I'll get something for metal, I guess it's still way cheaper than a new case or ruining the bits I have. Thanks
>>
>>2859741
Just go with something like picrel. Home Depot and Lowe’s always have some sort of DeWalt drill bit set on sale for $10-$15, and they’re solid for the money and work well on everything. Plus regular 135deg split point bits can be sharpened if you’re inclined to do so
>>
>>2859752
>>2859741
Picrel is in-store at Home Depot
>>
>>2856136
Bypass your dimmer. Temp install a standard switch or just wire nut your wires together without a switch to see if that corrects the brightness issue. Dimmers don't reduce power, but limits the amount of time power passes per cycle. Those elections inside the dimmer can fail and is likely your issue.
>>
>>2859752
>>2859757
Thanks for the advice, I'm a Euro so I'll have to look into local brands. Never seen a DeWalt for that cheap here
>>
>>2859910
>Yuro
Disregard. Just hammer something round through the case like a caveman.
>>
File: asbestos-warrior.png (83 KB, 266x450)
83 KB
83 KB PNG
Asbestos question. My parents house has a handyman special addition on the back that was built sometime in the 1950s. Before they purchased the house, there had been several "cover that old shit" renovations to the addition. Now that I'm a permanent NEET, they've given me control over the addition, which I'd like to more or less gut. Given the time period, I'm wondering what all might have Asbestos issues? Under the 1970s deep shag carpet that's heavily disintegrated is some sort of tile who pattern looks like it's 1960s. Possibly Asbestos in those?
The addition is two rooms, both 12x12. One of them has an acoustic tile drop ceiling that's slightly crumbly to the touch. Behind them is shitty pink insulation that itself appears to have partially disintegrated. Is it likely it has Asbestos? The walls are disintegrating (sensing a pattern here?) wood paneling which I've never heard of containing Asbestos.
With the tile, I'm thinking I'll just cover over them, Asbestos or not. But if the ceiling tiles and insulation turn out to need remediation, might as well do the tiles at the same time and be Asbestos-free.
Any idea how much testing will cost for all three potential Asbestos materials? Is removal going to insanely expensive?
>>
>>2859931
How mean!
>>
>>2859948
Post pictures. You might be able to remove it yourself if it's not too crumbly and you have the right PPE.
>>
best product for cleaning a drain? my bathroom sink regularly cakes up with black crap until I clear some of it with a toothbrush and soap
there has to be a better way
>>
>>2859948
Look asbestos is one of those dont-ask-dont-tell situations. It provides fantastic protection from fire and as long as you can avoid manufacturing or installing it forty hours a week for thirty years during which you also chain smoke unfiltered cigarattes and are an alcoholic then you will probably be ok. Maybe slight fewer house fires.
>>
File: how2-turn-bolts.webm (2.13 MB, 270x480)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB WEBM
sharing important vid w/ my diy bros
>>
I don't care about fancy moulding shapes. What's the cheapest imaginable kind of rectangular molding? Is it possible to just use a 6*0.5-inch or 6*0.25-inch strip of plywood?
>>
>>2860071
I must have lost at least half of my brain cells to drinking cause I have no idea wtf I just witnessed. All I know is that this man is a wizard and both you and him need to be burned at the stake.
>>
>>2855601
My bedsheets and pillow cases are getting pretty bad. Is it possible for them to end up permanently darkened/dirtied, or is there some kind of detergent, or cleaning method that can actually make them look nice and presentable again?
>>
Sounds good
>>
>>2859953
I'll try to get some of the ceiling tiles today. Dad said there's pretty much a 100% chance that the floor tiles contain Asbestos as it was in pretty much all flooring from that era. I even found photos on a Asbestos removal site that have what look like these exact tiles but in a different color (same pattern). Probably will just encapsulate them after removing the shitty shag carpet that's over 70% of them now (the carpet has completely decayed in the other 30%).
I can see that there were several water leaks over the years, which is probably what caused the insulation to become fucked up. I didn't see any evidence of mold when I opened the ceiling last time but holy fuck is that insulation a powdery mess.
>>2860064
Yeah, that's what I'm really wondering about. Is it really as big of a deal as the government and removal companies make it out to be if you use reasonable caution and procedures for a one time removal? Hard to get good facts beyond the "DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!" stuff.
>>
>>2860221
If it's just normal human stuff like skin flakes, drool, and genital fluids, normal detergents should handle most of it. If they're white, chlorine bleach is going to be the real test. If that won't make them look fresh and clean, you can either get some Rit dye to make the sheets a dark color or replace them. Either way, bedding doesn't last a lifetime. You will have to replace it from time to time.
>>
what antenna type for omnidirectional broadband. looking for an improvement to my tv antenna
>>
>>2860384
FWIW when my grandparents went into a nursing home I helped my uncle tear out a bunch of asbestos from their basement so the house could be sold. I breathed in clouds of asbestos dust all weekend with zero ppe and 25 years later I'm fine. Better, even. Kinda wished I kept some, also the 55 gallon drum of industrial nicotine that we dumped out.
>>
File: Smokers are jokers.jpg (25 KB, 350x285)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2860410
>Kinda wished I kept some, also the 55 gallon drum of industrial nicotine that we dumped out.
Wonder what would happen if that got dumped on someone. Does the skin absorb nicotine?
>>
>>2860428
>Does the skin absorb nicotine?
Yes.
People get hospitalized from spilling large bottles of high-nicotine vape juice on themselves. Usually when someone actually gets themselves in trouble this way it's from spilling extremely concentrated (50-99%) freebase nicotine. Employees of custom mix vape-shops are your most common victim here these days, they're in small businesses with minimal oversight handling large quantities of pure nicotine. There was a notable suicide attempt by a woman who poured 120ml of 10% vape juice over her body, it didn't kill her, but I'm sure she wished it had given what the following days were like. "Industrial" nicotine is likely a pesticide, which means it's probably nicotine sulfate. It's extremely nasty stuff. Very mild exposure can burn your eyes, nose, throat, and sensitive areas of skin, while causing nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, intense abdominal pain, headaches, tremors, convulsions, seizures, and severe birth defects in your children.
>Wonder what would happen if that got dumped on someone.
The average adult man is 91kg, needing around 26g of nicotine sulfate on the skin to die. A big barrel of insecticide is going to be anywhere from 8% to as much as 40% nicotine sulfate. Pouring that over someone definitely could kill them. Without an immediate shower and life-support it'd be a shitty, convulsing, spraying-out-both-ends until the heart attack takes them sort of death.
>>
>>2859573
Glossy ones have thicker glaze and less micro grooves for mold and soup scum to build up in. Easier to maintain and clean longterm. Often a bit more expensive than natural/matte finish though.
>>
File: 1728749584827.jpg (124 KB, 726x1000)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
What is a good drilbit set that actually lasts?
I don't have a car so the lug nut parts are irrelevant to me.
>>
>>2860387
>improvement to my tv antenna

google Yagi
it was invented by the chinese guy in Karate Kid
you can even get indoor versions if you dont like glory holes in your wall
>>
>>2860447
Drill bits are cheap consumables. Buy a high end brand and use it until they break or need sharpening if you're into that kind of thing.
>>
File: file.png (1.42 MB, 1174x933)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
>current situation
the outlet in the bathroom is wired to the wall switch which also controls the light (sw > light > outlet
We want to put a night light because the main light is too bright at 2am for midnight bathroom trip.

The original plan was was rewire so the outlet is always ON, but that means pulling a wire thought the EMT. Can i use a dimmer switch on the wall or will that dim the outlet current too?
>>
File: 1728756206015173.jpg (234 KB, 1174x933)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>2860476
pull the switch
add a box next to the switch or replace the single box with a double
install an outlet in the new box with it wired to be always on
>>
File: bathroom nite lite.jpg (50 KB, 500x500)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>2860476
>that means pulling a wire thought the EMT

dont be a dumb-dumb
you can stick one of these battery-powered movement-detecting ones on the ceiling
or get one that plugs into an outlet if you hate changing batteries ever 3 months
perfect for midnight piss parties
i installed them in my bathroom, my GF's, my brother-in-law's, and everyone loves them
>>
>>2860508
>plugs into an outlet
thats my problem, the only outlet in the room is controlled by the switch on the wall (which also controls the light over the sink). For the outlet to be on the sink light would be to be on too which is too bright at night, but perfect during the day.
>>
>>2860521
You could get one with a charger and just have it plugged in, so it's charging during the day while the light is on, and then comes on at night when the outlet is turned off.
>>
>>2860524
not a bad idea actually. would be an easy solution. thanks anon
>>
>>2860443
>"Industrial" nicotine is likely a pesticide
lol bingo. Gramps was a tree surgeon. I didn't pay attention to the details, it was a rusty ass black enameled barrel with an ancient paper label probably from the 40s or 50s. There were also several gallon size paint buckets of DDT which of course we kept. No wonder my uncle didn't want the nicotine hanging around though holy shit.
>>
>>2860521
>too bright at night, but perfect during the day

another option is one of these dimmer/switch combos (LHS of pic)
but you'd have to remember to bring the dimmer down in the evening, or else get a nasty surprise on first piss of the nite

yet another option is to use a smart switch
(got a bunch at $5 a piece)
they have a ton of adjustments to brightness, fade-in, fade-out, ''scenes'' you can program, timers you can set
just make sure, if you have an LED lamp, it must be dimmable, or else it'll flash or never go fully off
>>
>>2860531
Nicotine as a pesticide is kinda interesting for being very safe and pretty damn effective, but is very dangerous to handle and use. It's been phased out primarily for lack of use, modern pesticides are just better. When we reached the point that there was literally one nicotine insecticide product available in the US, the EPA stepped in and decided to end it at that. The majority of agricultural pesticide usage is now neonicotinoids, nicotine-like chemicals such as imidacloprid, the most widely used insecticide of the last two decades. More effective, more controllable, safer for all mammals, can kill ANY insect, and can be used in virtually any setting you can imagine for an insecticide. Biggest problems are accumulation, true of all good insecticides, and it being so fucking good at murdering bees. Some people bitch about shitty home-use insecticides not instabanning everything in sight, but make no mistake, the modern good stuff is as good as it's ever been.
>>
I'm building a router table. It's 24x24 with a 12x12 aluminum insert plate and a 24x7 three-ply fence. In gluing the fence I left the middle layer sunken for t-track on both the top and bottom. The underside t-track seemed like it might be useful somehow to affix the fence to the table but now I can't think of any reason whatsoever for it. Is there anything I can use it for or should I just move on and pretend there isn't a dead space underneath my fence.
>>
File: 1699492116011724.png (364 KB, 640x334)
364 KB
364 KB PNG
Air monoblock airconditioners somewhat uniform when it comes to hole diameter and distance? I was thinking of getting one for my top floor, but it would really suck if I ever need to replace it and I can't find anything that lines up. My house is bricks and concrete btw.
>>
>>2860759
>>2860759
>Air
Are*
fuck
>>
I need an old standard, DIN 240:1923-02 specifically. I can't find the actual standard anywhere, just descriptions of it. Any idea where I could find this? It's for metric whitworth thread.
I've tried zlib, library genesis and rutracker, as well as just generic searches.
>>
File: gutterauger.jpg (331 KB, 2048x1365)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
I don't like the idea of always having to remember to empty the gutters. Could I install a slowmoving auger in it to push the shit out automatically?
>>
>>2860830
Cut down the trees above your one story hovel.
>>
>>2860848
Not a bad idea, would save a lot of work in isolation. Unfortunately for me me there are several dozen other trees uphill next to neighbours one story hovels
>>
>>2860852
Consider moving to somewhere that isn't a shithole. Do people really not consider stuff like this before they move in?
>>
>>2860855
There are great many things to consider with a house. Leaves on roof are rather low on most people's priority list.

It's not even considered an issue, most people just rake the gutters every spring and/or autumn, and if not there are people like me who would fix them altogether so picking a house based on leaves wouldn't make or break the deal.
>>
What could be the cause if I try to glue pewter miniatures together with cyanoacrylate glue but parts don't stick together and glue itself stay liquid even after 10-15 minutes? Surfaces are clean, I washed them before, tried different tubes of glue from different producers and still have this problem. Also tried adding tiny bit of baking soda to speed up reaction but even then it hardly work.

I feel out of options.
>>
>>2860868
Temperature? You could always just use something else, like 2 part epoxy.
>>
this is basic shit but I wandered all over the store and left because I'm too retarded

How do I darken furniture wood that already has that shiny finish? I imagine it requires some sanding but then wtf do I use?
>varnish
>polish
>wax
>resin
>paint
>spray
>primer
>dye
>universal
>interior
>(thing)-based

There's hundreds of products what the fuck
>>
>>2860893
Room temperature, around 22-23C.
>>
/o/ is useless so maybe you guys can help
Have an older car and every time I park inside the garage, the entire garage has a Naphthalene like smell. It's definitely coming from the car since the smell disappears from the garage when removed. Nothing is leaking and there is no visible mold anywhere. I hardly notice the smell when driving though. any thoughts on what it is?

pic unrel
>>
>>2860902
>How do I darken furniture wood

it's called STAIN, dummy
you can also get a combination stain + varnish to save one step
>>
>>2855601
where can i find a connector for a mechanical switch pin? I cant find one thats too small
like a spade connector or something
>>
>>2858008
sketchup is supposed to be easy to use and doesn't have the whole burden of cad
>>
>>2861001
radioshack
>>
is there such a thing as biz knowledge for diy'ers
/biz/ is just full of crypto shit and dog poop picking business ideas and they'll scoff at anything with a physical inventory
>>
How do you clean (chinesium)dremel bits? styrofoam specifically, this fine dust really embeds itself in the tips
>>
>>2861006
Business is business, finance is finance.
Doesnt matter if you own and run a McDonalds franchise, or you are trying to sell your crafts at a fair.
The same exact principles apply
>>
Anyone ever installed storm shutters? And I don't mean just hanging up shutters where the bolts already exist, but actually measuring and drilling the holes to hang them. I've never done it, and am a little anxious drilling into the stucco. I feel like it's something that would be best to pay someone, and have it done right the first time. I know there's probably tips/tricks that come with tenure.

If so, what advice or tips/tricks might you all know?
>>
>>2861067
If it's a block house, just tap and screw anywhere
>>
>>2861006
You'd have to be more specific

I'm a professional handyman and there's at least one good YouTube channel about the business specifically but you still need to know building codes, practice drywall repair and have knowledge about all related trades
>>
>>2860950
Running rich, burning oil or burning coolant or you're burning gear oil in the dif or hubs

My work van with 300k has a leak in one of the hubs but it doesn't hurt anything except I have to add extra dif fluid after a change
>>
It is a block house, but why is that your attitude? What if I fuck up the measurements and have to redrill? Even if repaired prior to the new hole, I feel like it wouldn't be as secure?
>>
>>2860830
Look into Gutter Guard and related products
>>
>>2861079
This >>2861085 was meant for you
>>
>>2861001
Hardware or automotive parts store

>>2860902
Sand lightly but thoroughly removing all the shine and then use a stain+poly product. It'll take extra coats

>>2860830
Home Depot sells solid plastic gutter covers that actually work
They're like $1/foot or something
The ones that rain has to flow back into are the ones I'm talking about

>>2860221
Soak in baking soda water for hours and then wash high heat with powdered detergent
>>
>>2860093
They sell that plastic commercial stuff in large rolls dirt cheap

>>2860061
Probably have some nasty mold in the overflow or trap
Dump drain cleaner in both, let sit for 10 minutes then dump almost boiling water after
>>
>>2859621
I would use an adhesive, cut it, clean it, then adhesive again
If it's not outside, it probably doesn't even really matter what type beyond it it mildly adhering
>>
>>2859254
If you pour, use flooring mortar with the elasticizers or whatever that make it super strong at 1.5" or whatever
>>
Anyone good with electricity/wiring?

I thought my thermostat was dead, the screen wouldn't display anything.
I went ahead and got another one and this new one won't even turn on.

It's a two-wire system on 240v.

I tested with a multimeter. Touching the ground, I have 120v on one phase and 60v on the other. I really don't know what's wrong here.
>>
>>2855601
My garage's paint is peeling and looks terrible. Been thinking about renting a spray gun for a day and painting it, do I need to scrape all the old paint off, or can I just knock the loose stuff off with a wire brush, blow it off with the leaf blower, and start painting?
>>
>>2861085
Drill and screw one hole on the top with the shutter
Use a level and drill and screw one on the bottom
Then just go across
You might need to go as high as possible to miss the steel across the top of the windows but it's likely not that tall
You should easily be able to find the height of the lentils but you could also just use short enough screws

The only way you'd fuck it up is if you hit something within the screw depth you can't drill into or the shutter is out of plumb enough to notice
>>
>>2861094
You'll have to be more specific

Thermostats are usually dependant on the appliance to work so I'd be checking the appliance as well

>>2861096
If you don't remove the peeling paint it'll look just as bad after

Id use some 60 grit sandpaper on a drywall sander and rip through it
>>
>>2861100
The thermostat powers two baseboard heaters.

I've tried looking into the power box but it's a real rat's nest in there. Also, I've been unable to isolate which circuit it is.
>>
>>2861094
Check the voltage coming out of the breaker if you for sure think those wires should be carrying 240v across them.
>>
About to acquire a house soon.

What skills should I focus on if I never grew up with a family member who's good at handyman stuff?
Also what toolkit should I buy? I have a multitool currently.
>>
>>2861118
literally only buy tools when the task you want to due calls for it, that's it. do not acquire tools just because you heard somebody say you need to have it. any task you want to do, there are hundreds of articles, blogs and youtube videos on how to do it right with various techniques and necessary tools and equipment and materials.

that said, a basic homeowner DIY kit should have a good quality cordless drill and impact driver, a good set of screwdrivers or screwdriver bit set, a hammer, a utility knife, level, flashlight, if it's an american wood framed house then a stud finder or strong magnet for the same purpose, a very good tape measure, a ladder of some kind one with a platform or step, and if you plan to do any plumbing work yourself then some good pliers and wrenches, and of course a good 5-gallon shop vac with good filters and bags.

after that, it depends on projects, woodworking is basically just cutting and fastening, so you'll need some kind of cutting tool like a circular saw, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, or all of them. I will say that an oscillating multitool, while they've been around for 50+ years, has quickly become an inseparable part of a DIY kit nowadays, a good quality one anyway.

if you plan on doing any of your gardening and landscaping yourself, then you need those tools as well like hedge trimmer, pruning saw, lawnmower, blower, etc.
>>
>>2861143
>>2861118
oh and don't forget appropriate personal safety equipment, at a minimum safety goggles and hearing protection, but also perhaps cut-resistant gloves with good grip and a reusable respirator.
>>
>>2861118
Here are my top tips for homeownership from a guy who bought a house in 2020 and has repaired basically everything

>tools from harbor freight are cheap and work fine for 99% of your jobs. all their hand tools have a lifetime warranty no receipt needed, and their power tools work fine, I have a ton of $15-$30 power tools from hf like the angle grinder, sawsall, multitool, etc that work perfectly fine.
>everything at Home Depot and Lowe's is a fucking RIP OFF avoid if possible
>watch a YouTube video and learn how to replace outlet receptacles. They cost 98c at Walmart and you need a few more little tools like wire cutters, a multi pack of wire nuts, and a voltage detector or beep tool $20 max. Now shit won't fall out of your outlets.
>painting - you will be bad at first keep practicing and DONT cheap out on the brush. Get a nice angled cutting brush for the edges. A little paint goes a long way when cutting in. Don't bother with painters tape it bleeds anyways. Waste of your time.
>plumbing sucks I could never be a plumber fuckkkkkk that.
>>
>>2861151
>all their hand tools have a lifetime warranty no receipt needed
You’re mostly wrong on Harbor Freight. Not sure how many hand tools you have tried to warranty or how many different stores you have gone to, but a whole lot of HFs want your receipt or phone number to look it up, and if you want to warranty one socket from a 75pc set, you better bring that whole 75pc set because they often tell you they can only exchange the whole set. If you lost a socket or two, you’re fucked.

And don’t go shopping at HF assuming it’s the cheapest. Their business model changed. They got rid of tons of their cheaper stuff and replaced it with mid range shit that costs as much as the name brand from Home Depot, and the real name brand from HD will have a much better warranty. If you need a cheap one-time use specialty tool, Amazon will often same day ship you the same Chinesium from Harbor Freight for less money.

>>2861118
Learn how to do drywall. And learning to use a multimeter will save you a ton of money.

As for tool kits, just get whatevet Kobalt or Craftsman homeowner’s kit for like $79 from Lowe’s. Everything else you’re going to need is going to depend on what project pops up. If you’re actually going to take on projects, think about a Ryobi 18V One+ cordless power tool starter kit.
>>
>>2861094
>this new one won't even turn on

really need more information about the thermostat wiring
gonna assume the thermostat is just 2 wires, placed in series with heater on a 240V line
in order for the display to come on, a tiny current has to be running in the circuit continuously
so, if the heater is dead, or has a blown fuse, then no current passes thru, and display shows nothing
so, being a noob, you're gonna assume the thermostat is dead, and replace it
what you needed to do was turn off power and test the heater for continuity
one way to approximate that is to short out the thermostat and see if the heater gets hot
if it doesnt, then the heater, or the wiring to it, is bad
and needs a spanking
>>
File: 1717914572716227.png (54 KB, 300x300)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>2861143
>>2861144
>>2861151
>>2861162
Thanks for the help frens
>>
>>2861110
If you can't even determine which circuit, sounds like you're in over your head
Call someone
>>
>>2855601
I'm trying to learn soldering. The flux won't act like in the video tutorials. Instead of becoming fluid it will keep it's shape until it melts for just one second. And usually it will form a ball at the end of the flux wire. My soldering iron is 25W. Is the iron not hot enough or too hot?
>>
How bad is radon really? Spending lots of time in the basement and wonder about it sometimes.
>>
>>2861245
How old are you and how long do you want to live?
>>
>>2861219
Sounds like your problem is poor heat contact, and a lack of flux. Does your solder actually contain a rosin core? Solder without flux is a lot harder to melt, and flux isn't solder, it's usually a paste. Poor thermal contact with the tip of the iron will do that, the solder should stick to the tip of your iron and make it shiny. If you can't see the shiny part, you need to clean it.
>>
File: 1720863772683620.png (37 KB, 255x417)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
Two weeks ago we installed a water heater heat pump at home (pic related). It seems to work fine with a good COP (I live in a warm area) but sometimes it makes some bubbling / gurgling noises.
Like 40% the time it's running it's making these noises, sometimes it is louder and sometimes weaker.
Check link for audio:
https://litter.catbox.moe/n7cy16.mp3

Is this normal? The condensate drain is fine, the noise comes from inside, around the compressor.
I have asked the plumber who installed it but he has no idea about heat pumps
>>
>>2861287
Usually attributed to shit in the tank like sediment and rust, makes for hot-spots and boiling. If you've just installed a new system, then it could've knocked shit loose from the old lines. It's a shot in the dark, but flushing it costs you a whole $0.06 of water and 15 minutes of your time.
>>
>>2861289
I experienced this on electric water heaters, but does it happen on heat pump ones? I'm using the HP only mode.
It also has a filter installed on the inlet pipe
>>
>>2861290
>but does it happen on heat pump ones?
Yes.
>>
>>2861197
>240v thermostat
Does such a thing even exist? Jesus. I don’t have experience with older systems but why wouldn’t the system use a transformer and a relay like modern ones? That tech has been around forever and cheap to make
>>
File: IMG_0597.jpg (394 KB, 1170x1500)
394 KB
394 KB JPG
Anyone have experience with these cordless shop vacs? I’m tempted to get one but I feel like it’s either gonna be horrible suction or just chew through batteries. It’s not like I’ll be using it nonstop, but if I only get like 5-10 minutes of good use from a battery I’d probably just keep using extension cords where needed.
>>
>>2861336
I don't know about 12V shit, but my 36V does a good job and lasts a reasonable 20 minutes with a couple of 4Ah batteries. Mine does about 60 inches, that says it'll do 42 so it'll probably work for most shop shit.
>>
>>2861336
I’ve got a smaller handheld 18V vac. It’s about what you would expect. Super convenient to clean some dirt out of the car when I make a mess with muddy shoes, but it’s never going to replace the big 120V shop vac when I’m doing a deep clean. Those 18V vacs excel with dust, if you’re drilling or sanding or cutting and you want to clean up your mess afterwards. But when it comes to a ton of sand in carpet after a day at the beach, you will notice the lack of power.
>>
>>2861336
>>2861344
Oi vey just realized that was the 12V version, that’s probably pretty rough for anything heavier than sawdust.
>>
>>2861336
The 12V version is a gimmick, it's got the power of a $30 hand vac. Great for picking up spilled rice on a linoleum floor, but that's about the limit.
>>
>>2861197
>>2861209
Thanks guys. Turns out I am literally retarded.
I spent the day watching Youtube vids to figure out how 240v works, starting checking out stuff is wired in my home and finally isolated the circuit the thermostat is on.
Turns out it was just a bad contact on one of the wire caps.

I got a bit freaked out after turning it on for the final time. Since it's a 2-wire system, the thermostat has to let the entire amount of juice through itself and it got really hot. Turns out it's normal and there's a good reason the thermostat has a built-in heatsink.

Being a homeowner is such a pain when you know nothing about this kind of stuff.
>>
File: 20241014_172918.jpg (1.11 MB, 908x1785)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
the drain came off of my bathtub as I was trying to unclog it. apparently the plate was attached to the tub with some sort of caulk, because the bolt is too short to reach the threaded hole in the pipe (pic1). all it does is attach the stopper assembly to the plate, even though it does fit the thread in pic1. my uninformed opinion is that the guy didn't have a long bolt so he just caulked it together.

right now I just screwed the plate to the hole without the stopper, but now the bolt is sticking out. could I find a longer bolt with the same thread? or do I need caulk or glue to put it back? pls don't tell me I fucked up the tub beyond repair. thanks in advance.
>>
>>2861100
Yeah, but can I just hit it with a wire brush to knock the loose paint off? I don't care if it looks bad up close, as long as it sticks and doesn't peel off again immediately. Looking good from 30 feet is all I care about.
>>
europoor here
im looking into getting a portable heater because the central heating turns off at 11pm and i freeze my ass off every night(im neetmaxxing)
what kind of heater is the best to heat a medium sized room to 23° celsius/74 fahrenheit?
are those heating fans enough? should i get an oil radiator? a convector heater?
>>
>>2861400
what is a "medium sized room" by europoor standards? is it insulated well enough? 23 C is really hot for room temperature imo, you should be aiming for 20 C ideally, and just wear an extra layer if you feel cold at 20 C. A single electric fan room heater is usually enough for a small to medium sized room, but it also depends on how well it is insulated (walls, windows), and how cold the outside temperature is. Also what kind of dystopia turned off central heating when it is needed most overnight?
>>
>>2861410
its 17,5 square meters, the house is very well insulated, the temp barely drops overnight, let alone get anywhere close to 20°C
the summers are so hot now that i got used to the higher temps and i hate putting on sweaters
and i have 0 clue why they turn it off overnight, it turns off at 11pm and then comes back at 6
im just going to try a fan heater i guess, they are cheap as fuck and i only need them to raise the temp by maybe 1 degree
>>
What in the actual fuck is this thing seemingly connected to the baseboard heaters that's started making hissing noises, and why the fuck did my landlord paint over it so many times lmao
>>
>>2861419
If you landlord is Hasidic, turn to the left. If Reform, turn to the right.
>>
>>2861419
>pipe with an obvious valve connected to a heating element
idk anon, tough to say with the info. Maybe take more pics? Could you draw a diagram?
>>
>>2861377
the bolt is whats holding the stopper to the strainer correct? yes, youll have to caulk it back. They make much better stoppers, but without plumbing experience that could be a pain in the ass. Id recommend just getting a 1$ silicone strainer and considering it an upgrade since you can now pull it out to clean without the fuss
>>
>>2861519
oh well. I'd get the silicone strainer if I wasn't living in an apartment. still don't understand why it isn't bolted to the tub nice and solid like sink stoppers. thanks for the reply.
>>
does anyone have any experience with making fiberglass moulds or just pattern making in general?

i have a pattern, technically it's just an OEM plastic trim piece for a car, that i'd like to make a mould out of but the surface finish isn't smooth, it's more like one of the examples in pic related and i know that making a mould out of a pattern with a surface finish like that is a terrible idea so what are my options?
i've sanded it down a bunch already but i'm afraid i think i see the beginning of some surface distortions already because of it so i don't want to sand any further - is there some sort of spray or tape or something i can apply to give it a perfectly smooth finish?
>>
File: infrared heater.jpg (73 KB, 692x602)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>2861400
>are those heating fans enough?

those are inefficient as they heat the whole room
infrared heaters are cheaper to run as they only heat you
or whatever you place in front of them
they make a lot of sense assuming you're gonna be pretty stationary at night
>>
>>2861118
The best tool? A buddy that's done it before and has learned from his mistakes. Everything's simple enough, but every little job has a tip or trick that really only comes from experience. YouTube is great though. As long as you have two braincells to rub together, you can do most things by yourself
>>
File: 716eHcvHMkL.jpg (157 KB, 1814x1361)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
I'm using milliput for the first time to make figures.
Do I need to ventilate my room when using it? Can I just open my window and use it?

I know tamiya putty recommends you to use it in a ventilated area.
I don't care about the smell, I just don't want to get turbo brain AIDs or something from the fumes.
>>
>>2861745
I'd leave it to cure in another room and crack a window maybe, but you're not going to die from a few fumes.
>>
This is what I EDC right now
>Gerber knife
>Makita Flashlight
>Gel pen
>Screwdriver with some random bits stored inside

I am thinking of getting a Milwaukee Fastback 6 in 1 to replace the knife and screwdriver and maybe some Memepex XS or 5" pliers later down the road. Thoughts?
>>
>>2861745
Wear gloves though.
>>
>>2862089
The 5”/xs pliers are useless unless you’re trying to add to your Reddit EDC pic. They’re too small to even really handle. Do you remove a lot of coax cables because that’s the only thing I’ve ever found the 5” useful for. Throw a 7-1/4” Cobra in your back pocket if you actually need to get something done.
>>
>>2862104
>useless
what a hyperbole
>>
>>2862111
Pliers that are difficult to manipulate unless you have the hands of a 7 year old Korean child are pretty damn near useless. There’s a reason why almost all precision pliers have springs in them.
>>
>>2862104
>The 5”/xs pliers are useless
> useless
You misspelled great for HVAC work.
>>
>>2862180
>t. guy with the hands of a 7 year old Korean girl who once used the mini Cobras to remove the cap on the refrigerant fill port
If you had the 7-1/4” cobras in your bag and were a man with average sized hanfs, they would’ve worked great. Or your average size and strength man hands could remove that cap without pliers
>>
File: 1729126421533.jpg (96 KB, 1262x840)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>2862188
My hands are small and frail. I'm 81 years old.
7-1/4" Cobra's are $37. I have 10" Cobra's but I don't work enough now to justify the cost of a second, smaller pair when the $9 4-1/2" Crescent's work fine for me.
>>
This is a long shot.

I wanna make wall art on CNC router tables. I want customers to fill out an order form which eventually turns into G-code. so that their signs can say

"[Basic White Girl Name] and [White Guy Name] est. [year they were married]"

Some of my wall art designs have 100+ string parameters.

I am having a hard time finding a CAD package that lets me easily import string parameters and use them to create font-driven geometry. I was thinking about using a graphic design solution as an intermediary. As long as it exports a vector file, I can make it work. It just needs to be pretty automatic.

Any ideas?
>>
File: 1706531415298730.png (2.36 MB, 1679x1209)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB PNG
>>2855601
I have this 240V box under my countertop in my kitchen; which powers my oven. The oven's specs says it needs a 30A breaker, and the line it's on from the breaker panel is 30A. I want to install a NEMA 240V outlet in my kitchen and use this same box to power it, for a single 15A load (240V appliance). Since the line is 30A, I'll use a 15A fuse for the outlet.

As far as I can tell, this should work without issue, but I don't know anything about fire codes and requirements.

Did some searching for something covering it and found this:
> 210.23(C) 30-Ampere Branch Circuits
> A 30-ampere branch circuit shall be permitted to supply fixed lighting units with heavy-duty lampholders in other than a dwelling unit(s) or utilization equipment in any occupancy. The rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.

My oven is rated for 4.9kW; which works out to ~20A. And the appliance I plan to plug in has a max current draw of ~13A. Assuming they count as "utilization equipment", does this mean this setup is kosher? Or will I have to rip it out if i ever want to sell my house?
>>
>>2862247
At least these have handles that are formed with the thought in mind that the pliers are tiny. Knipex is normally great with ergonomics, but there’s not any difference in the shape of the tiny Cobras compared to standard 10”.

When somebody uses the babby Knipex, they will find out. I have man-sized hands and I basically have to palm the thing to use them, and my bear paw doesn’t often fit in the spots where one would want to use mini pliers. You can’t use them like normal pliers because the handle is only long enough for 2 fingers and you can’t kick the jaws open with a 3rd or 4th finger like any other unsprung pliers.
>>
my old bathroom faucet broke and i need to replace it but the new faucet i bought ,however its smaller and wont cover up the discolored section where the old one used to be, besides buying a new faucet, what would my best plan of action be? wet sand and polish? and can i do anything for the hairline crack?
>>
>>2862335
Mate, not only have you got a crack in where the tap goes, but you've got 50 around the fucking drain.

Throw it in the trash and buy a new unit.
>>
how do i turn a big piece of glass into a mirror
>>
will i die from trying to silver mirror on my own
is it less expensive than the ready made spray can
>>
Is there any good "dry" cleaner for cleaning bird shit off an apartment patio? Birds nested when I was on holiday, but there's no drainage except through the wood slats and the cunt downstairs had an absolute shit-fit last time I cleaned.
>>
>>2862342
cant, its a one piece sink countertop thats like 7 ft long and im cheap
>>
>>2862281
>>458149
>>458154
What about software with a template that pulls text attributes from an outside source, or has the ability to copy-paste large amounts of strings quickly?
>>
>>2861745
the fumes are half the fun??
i love sniffing my enamel paint thinner when im panel lining gunpla
>>
I'm rewiring a bedroom, which is easy.
What I don't know is how to run wires between floors.
The bedroom is on the second floor, the panel is in the basement. What do electricians normally do to get a wire down?
>>
>>2862680
>What do

you remove a bit of molding at the corner, then drill a hole with a very long bit
use plastic channel to hide the wire running down the wall
they make a type specifically for wires
>>
Cheap alternative for Erector Set (tm)? I wanna teach the youth group at church structural engineering. I want to get a crap ton of pieces for the kids to dick around with.

I just need the truss pieces and screws, but the screws are easy to find.

I thought of using plumbers tape, but it's not strong enough.
>>
Is a 56 uF 550V capacitor dangerous and if so what do I need to do to make it not be dangerous? Is bleeding it with a 1M resistor held between pliers enough?
>>
I've got a 6mm linear shaft with a 3D printed sleeve that moves along it, is there anything better I could use that would be quieter and low maintenance? My understanding of ball bushings is that they're better in terms of friction, but noisier than just plastic on steel.
>>
>>2863047
Really depends on how well it’s machined. I’m sure you could come up with a design that improves things, but it may be more work than you’re looking to do, really depends and it’s hard to say without knowing a lot more
>>
>screwdriver bit is 1/4 inch
If I bought a screwdriver in a country that only uses the metric system… would it be different? I could’ve sworn there was a name for these sizes in metric, but maybe that’s no longer really used? Is it still 1/4 inch just named different? Or are there actually different sizes used?
>>
>>2863018
>56 uF 550V
lay an insulated handle screwdriver across the terminals
>>
>>2862301
>>
File: chrome_WZ5hxNKxwM.png (108 KB, 1397x503)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
I only need 10 of these screws. Wtf do I do? Steal them from home depot? I can't find anywhere that sells them individually
>>
>>2864048
https://www.doitbest.com/product/221703/simpson-strong-tie-strong-drive-sdws-timber-exterior-grade-0-220-in-x-10-in-t40-screw-221703/
>>
>>2864048
https://www.amazon.com/Simpson-Strong-SDWS221000DB-R12-220x10-12-Pack/dp/B08H5ND3RS/
>>
Eventually planning to re-do ceiling drywall in a garage. Has anyone taken down the brackets that hold the garage door rails to get the drywall under them? I know I could just cut around the brackets and leave the existing drywall, tape the seams, but my insulation plan involves getting all the drywall down. I can't find dick online about removing, lowering the tracks specifically.
>>
>>2864544
Take the tracks apart where the upright meets the curve going to the horizontal tracks.
You can then take the horizontal (ceiling) tracks down.
The problem will be putting them back up. They'll need to go back to the same place but there won't be any screw holes or marks on the new ceiling to guide you.
The same problem will be with the opener. It's somewhat critical to get it in the same place in was in when you took it down.
Making note of some careful measurements before dismantling may be enough to get it back in place.
>>
>>2864602
>careful measurements

better would be to use screws with sharpened heads that'll poke thru the drywall
can use a vice grip for a screwdriver

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.