[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1721284825769109.png (249 KB, 488x411)
249 KB
249 KB PNG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdqTrMHQET8

also basically invented batteries, telegraphs, and computers from scratch here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pHcCwyX4pQ

and yes I do mean from scratch. dude collected literal ores from caves, smelted them in makeshift furnaces

well /diy/, how much of modern tech could you teach to a medieval society?
>>
None, but I do sit on my ass and watch other people doing it on youtube.
>>
>>2856420
It's funny you say that because the guy gets nonstop roasted for not doing things PERFECTLY. Like when he was welding a primitive steam engine the Youtube comments section DESCENDED on him telling him how fucking SHIT he was. Man historical technology reconstruction is the most cut throat youtube niche I tell ya.
>>
>>2856417
This thread again... From multitude previous ones just like it:

>If you went back and tried to teach them modern tech you'd be seen as a witch and killed

Why do you think so many of Davinci's inventions/drawings were kept secret?
>>
>>2856424

Inb4: Anons start spewing shit that they think is ultra modern and so cool, only so other Anons can come in replying how a lot of it was already a thing in the middle ages.
>>
>>2856424
>>2856426
Don't forget
>things that require centuries of advancement in metallurgy, chemistry, and manufacturing techniques to happen in a couple years
>>
>>2856423
You have to remember that the people who leave hateful or overly critical comments under good videos are typically fat losers whose job is driving around drunks that puke in their car.
>>
this guy doesn't quite go full primitive tech mode but still goes pretty far in how basic his AM radio is, fashions a diode out of a piece of graphite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AI2Jixj5Bs
>>
you do know people were inventing things before davinci right
>>
>>2856440
TBF, those are some insanely sad hand carved threads. I respect them for doing the whole build but they clearly don't have the patience to make the first (in this case, first two) master threads nicely. That hand filed screw was also pretty jank. I've only hand filed screws a couple of times for that retro look, but mine were way better than that.
>>
>>2856423
Fuck the saw mill broke my heart. All that effort pissed away due to ignorance instead of reading a single page on tooth geometry.
the guy genuinly deserves to suffer
>>
>>2856423
He makes a strong point of NOT looking into how to do things right, getting only the bare amount of information necessary and running with it. It's very genuine, but it's painful to watch him do something he doesn't know how to do. Watching him make retarded mistakes and totally misunderstand how things work, or overlooking very simple and easy solutions to problems and instead delving into complicated, time consuming, and inferior ones. It fucking hurts to watch sometimes. Watching him struggle with that aeolipile was horrendous, his design was shit from top to bottom, the things he did to try to improve it only made it worse, he had absolutely no fucking clue what he was doing and ultimately made a non-working pile of scrap metal.

>>2858062
The part I hated most was they made one of the best thread cutting tools to ever exist: a single-point threadbox. Dead simple and extremely effective, widely used for ~500 years, and they just used it to mark a piece of wood in the process of building this fuckhuge thread cutting machine. They never discussed it, never talked about it again, just showed it briefly "so we whipped this up" and marked a piece of wood with it, like it didn't even occur to them what they had done. They made an awesome and effective thread cutting tool and didn't even use it to cut threads, just used it to mark a piece of wood in the process of making a machine to cut threads. Pathetic.
>>
>>2858075
its youtube so some of it could be an act
>>
>>2856417
Someone probably showed Leonardo that you can just wrap wire around a tree or even flat metal and just let it grow, cut the branch down and then you have a screw. As long as you get the spacing even, the wood screw would be made with minimum effort and in large numbers of small tree sprouts.
>>
>>2858075
Failure is often more entertaining or educational than success.
You're just too autistic to appreciate these videos.
>>
Well, I accidentally re-invented stuff like the ignition magneto and the basic electric motor with 0 prior knowledge of how anything works because I didn't want to throw away old junk electronics and instead harvested them for parts and started playing around with them.
For the record, I don't even know basic physics or chemistry, I learned purely through messing around and observation that there are things such as resistance, electromagnetism, piezoelectricity and so on. It was pretty funny when I thought I made something genius and revolutionary only to find out that my thing was already invented centuries ago.
>>
>>2856417
One of the comments mentioned it already, a screwbox is much simpler, they nearly build one while etching the thread

The wooden vice is really nice, would be a nice little project
>>
Why do people think Da Vinci kept his shit secret out of fear of persecution? What if he did it to make a fuckload of money? It's possible we're just looking at notes for stuff he didn't get funding for, or scribbles for imaginary things he pulled out of his ass that he thought has potential.

In his time period if I found an easier way to make screws I'd certainly keep it a fucking secret and sell that shit to ALL the craftsmen, especially if I'm some artist always strapped for cash because I constantly have a revolving door if projects I'm always behind on.
>>
>>2859967
>What if he did it to make a fuckload of money?
He never made a fuckload of money though. He scraped by. He sure as shit wasn't poor, but he spent every dime he made and died with very little.
>>
>>2859967
You are arguing from a modern perspective, one with perfect communication methods, widely transferable currency and wealth is the only thing worthy of respected. None of those things apply to the high renaissance period.
>>
Pretty impressive stuff!
>>
>>2856417
>invented
i think you mean "recreated"
>he did it all from scratch!
no he didnt. He smelted half a golfball of material and then said "now that ive unlocked metal....". Which im not faulting him for but is waaaay less impressive than youre making it sound. Theres some decent videos on the channel, but alot of it works extremely poorly if at all. Which again, cant really fault him for, things like that take refining and practice... but its way easier to make something that barely kind of works a little bit sometimes and something that actually works as intended
>>
>>2861527
just to add, i bring that up to say I really wish he got more into the weeds with stuff, and did like a whole series until he got something really working well. Probably wouldnt do as well with the ADD fags who want to see shit like "we advanced to the bronze age!!!" each new video, but i think he could garner a more loyal fanbase.
>>
>>2858075
>He makes a strong point of NOT looking into how to do things right, getting only the bare amount of information necessary and running with it.
Here's the thing though, that's stupid. It drastically increases your likelihood of failure for no good reason.
>>
>>2861645
>Here's the thing though, that's stupid. It drastically increases your likelihood of failure for no good reason.
Yes, that was my point, it's why some episodes are way more cringe than they are interesting or educational.
>>
>>2860005
>spent every dime he made
is that a bad thing
>>
>>2856417
>Guy invents machining from scratch
Primitive technology did it first, he actually does shit from scratch. not larping like your channel.
>>
not primitive technology but this guy is building a machine shop from scratch
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxqc2f0tKvlOV0I6k27-CCw

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.