[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

It feels like at any time pre-2000s most western men had some semblance of a dress sense, knowing how their clothes should fit, how to tie a tie, what a good quality suit is, and how to wear and pair things on a more casual level.
Now it seems like most of them know fuck all about fashion outside of jeans, t-shirts, and athleisure crap. When they do try "dressing up" it's the most lousy uncoordinated shit ever. It could just be that clothes are worse now, but how did everybody allow that to happen?
Did nobody pass down any of this wisdom? How did we seemingly have almost 100 years of every man partaking in style as a personal art only for most to suddenly lose interest and have absolutely no clue how to dress?
>>
File: slack-lin-vert[1].jpg (236 KB, 466x695)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
Sounds to me like you're looking for...SPREZZATURA!

The Italians never stopped dressing like this.
>>
>>18083968
American men have shit taste
>>
>>18083988
cringe
>>
File: 7djxi8s163j51.jpg (60 KB, 750x872)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
You weren't alive pre-2000s so let me fill you in. There was no internet as we know it today. The people who spent time online were neckbeards like you, except there weren't any normies to teach them how to dress, like there are today. Also they were smart neckbeards, like university professors and computer programmers, i.e., not you, a NEET. Dumbs like you just got by with whatever their friend at the bowling alley told them.

Good quality suits were available to very wealthy people (i.e., not you), living in major world capitals like New York and Paris (again, not you). Everyone else wore whatever template was at their RTW shop, which didn't fit most people very well, and even if it could have been altered, most people didn't bother, because there were no menswear bloggers telling them what to ask for. And there certainly weren't multiple templates at every store for each body type, let alone ez-mode MTM offerings in glittering, high tech etailer platforms, with live support and fit guidance, for barely any more expensive than an entry level suit.

In short, you have no clue what you are talking about and you look like a fool in your dad's suit, stop talking.
>>
>>18083968
>How did we seemingly have almost 100 years of every man partaking in style as a personal art
You sound incredibly retarded
>>
Daily suit autist thread
>>
>>18084026
you open calling a dude ignorant for having a position so based in a time period but your own position is just based on a slice of time before that.
normies did know how to dress in suits in the early 20th century because even poorfags did it.
and through the mid 20th century people did have experience dressing up for special occasions. even poorfags and laborers.
your anti-rose-tinted glasses don't give the whole picture either.
a lot of people did try to do their best with what they had.
like you might find some inner city youth doing working on his white sneakers with a toothbrush to keep them looking new today.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (14 KB, 480x360)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>18083968
>It feels like at any time pre-2000s most western men had some semblance of a dress sense, knowing how their clothes should fit, how to tie a tie, what a good quality suit is, and how to wear and pair things on a more casual level.

bruh did you SEE the 90s
standard issue fit was "business casual" with a shirt that was three sizes too big and a tie that was made from offcuts of 80s sofa upholstery.
if you had a suit at all it was from the mall.
>>
>>18084026
You're an absolute fucking moron. Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman, O'Connells, Andover, J Press, Mercers and a ton of other brands were making great quality shirts, trousers and suits and were widely available. Hell even Ralph Lauren, LL Bean and Lands End used to be great. Claiming the majority of people walked around dressing like shit is lunacy, and before spout some bullshit about me being too young to remember it: I was born in the late 70s. Maybe you grew up in some poverty ridden backwater shithole where no one knew how to dress but I assure you there were plenty of areas outside the big 4 where people did just fine.
>>
>>18083968
Casual clothes are more comfortable and convenient. Simple as.
>>
>>18083968
>leave house wearing polo
>friend " We're just going to applebees why you getting so dressed up?"
mfw Polos are now viewed as formal wear.
>>
File: liberation.jpg (124 KB, 500x705)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>18083968
To me, this is the point of having the /fa/ board. Showing present-day anons what things have been like before, to give hope when surrounded by uninspiring cattle uniforms promoted through media channels and readily available at any generic clothing shop.
Italians have always had much more sense of this than say, burgers. There's generally a certain flair in how individual pieces get put together, which is exactly what is missing when an oversized logo t-shirt is draped over some overweight blob.
Your attire reflects your attitudes, whether you like it or not, and we should be celebrating this not just telling anons they're not special and to get back in their lanes plowing the furrow of mediocrity.
>>
>>18084204
But op didn't say the 1920s, he said "pre-2000s", obviously if you go back far enough in time everyone made their own clothes but it's pretty obvious he doesn't mean that

>>18084216
I like how you're trying to say the exact same thing I said but if you just sound angrier and more pretentious you'll "win" somehow, how does it feel to always be the last one in the room to laugh?
>>
>>18083968
>>18083988
These lads are pretty based
The answer to your questions is this: zoomers are idiots
>>
>>18083968
>When, why, and how did men forget how to dress like this?

JFK died.
>>
>>18085159
This started with basedlennials you dumbass. Blame your generation.
>>
>>18085179
elaborate?
>>
>>18085206
Yes you're right. Millennials are retards too.
>>
I was born in '91 and spent every year I lived pre-2000 wearing a pair of shorts and no shirt or shoes and it was based as fuck. Take me back.
>>
To me it feels like mostly wealthy men dress like this nowadays and for me to dress the same would be projecting something I'm not. I'd feel like a tryhard.
>>
>>18083968

Long story short clothes today are lower quality and made of less breathable material than clothes 60-70+ years ago

It makes no sense to wear a suit in moderate to warm environments because sweating in a suit fucking sucks.

It makes no sense to wear a suit in cold environments because you're getting them filthy with snow and salt.

Investing in higher quality / custom made clothing isn't something most people in the middle to lower class can do, which has largely led to the death of the suit.
>>
>>18086461
Suits are for guys who pound japanese schoolgirls
>>
It mostly started in the 60s or so. Commies value equality which means there's a race to the bottom aesthetically. The low, degraded, despicable is elevated by these freaks of nature, above the great and admirable. They are truly sick people.
>>
>>18084625
It wasn’t that long ago. I was born in the late 70s and remember my father mowing the lawn in a suit, because he always wore a suit. My parents weren’t wealthy, middle class. Maybe you grew up extremely poor or you’re a zoomer?
>>
>>18083968
>when did men stop wearing suits
kek. kys
>BUT THE LAPEL IS BIGGER
kek. respawn back into samsara and kys again
>>
>>18083988
Nobody dresses like this even in Italy
>>
>>18084533
maybe so but when and why did our cultures values shift to prioritize "comfort" and "convenience" over elegance and taste?

>>18086461
>long story short
okay but i want the long story.
what caused the suit to start declining in quality like that and why did everyone just go along with it? and why did the cut become so shitty? your average cheap suit in the 80s/90s wasn't perfect but it at least had a nice silhouette/proportions and could pass for a nice suit if it was well-tailored, but you look at the average cheap suit now and its skinny fit shit that doesn't drape, squeezes the legs like sausages, is too short to cover the ass, buttons too high, and too narrow at the ankles to have any sort of break\

>>18085159
its not the zoomers fault. zoomers are just dealing with the consequences of millennials defining the culture, the real question is why were millennials the way they were?
>>
>>18084026
Sweatie, people had magazines, tv and movies before the intrnet, you know? People followed style trends by copying their favorite stars and celebrites, or just getting tips from magazines, which were proper professionals, not some NEET youtuber larping as a model/stylist
>>
https://dieworkwear.com/post/175555470874/the-suit-died-but-for-good-reasons
>>
>>18086861
>dieworkwear
i'm not reading anything this candy-ass millennial cuck writes
he doesn't even post fit
>>
>>18083968
>He thinks people were stylish in the 1990's
>>
>>18086861
>gay manlet who has NEVER, not once, ever, posted a pic
I don't read him out of principle
>>
>>18084026
You weren't alive before 2010, judging by your post.
>>
>>18083968
I have worn jeans and a tshirt my entire life and that will never change.
>>
>>18083988

this looks objectively worse than the first pic. the guys zogged out face just pisses me off

everyone wants to 'retvrn' but all of our attempts are feeble larps, it's sad
>>
>>18083968
So many clueless shit replies in this thread...

One major reason were the "cultural changes" that happened in the late 60s/early 70s everywhere in the western world. Hippies in the US, 68er-Bewegung here in Germany. Pushed heavily by the media, many young people wanted to be different from their parents, which included the way they dress, wearing a classic suit suddenly wasnt cool anymore. Many Boomers born after the 50s have to this day no idea how to dress well and look like complete disgusting shit when leaving the house, something which was not an issue with previois generations. They cope with big and expensive-looking cars.

The mentality of looking good by dressing well from the past turned into a trend of looking good trough heavy exercise and body building (starting especially around the 80s). But well, your muscles wont hold forever and will turn into fat eventually as you grow older and wont find the time and energy to work out like you did in your younger years. And still dressing like you had them, will make you look disgusting, you can see this every day when leaving the house.

Another reason was the rise of synthetic materials and outsourcing everything to chinks, as well as a change in consumer mentality. Spending 200 bucks for a suit was suddenly a lot for many people, when you could buy at least five t-shirts and two pair of pants at your local H&M for the same price. And them the new suit feels and looks like shit, because its just glued together plastic parts at this price and a decent suit costs at least three times as much. This doesn't include a few shirts you can rotate and a nice pair of shoes. Spending more than 1000 bucks on something that isnt an overpriced car and keeping care of it is concept many normalfags these days dont understand anymore.
>>
>>18084026
look at all the "le wrong generation" neckbeards seething at the truth, this board is an embarrassment
>>
>>18083968
sounds gay as fuck
>>
>>18084026
Fashion in 1985 was literally wearing an oversized Mickey Mouse t shirt and mall tier denim shorts. That’s what you considered “profound”, that along with wearing your hair like a Jew
>>
>>18086677
>what caused the suit to start declining in quality
fast fashion
lack of new blood in traditional clothing industries, so it's not common to have a local suitor or cobbler anymore

>why did everyone just go along with it?
labor is more expensive today, and people have less money to spend today.
plus the culture as a whole is more casual, so knowledge of and taste in suiting became basic or non existant.

>and why did the cut become so shitty?
the natural cycle of action and reaction. 80s and 90s suits were very relaxed, so skinnier suits became trendy in the 2000s.
we saw the same thing in the 1960s. and of course the reverse was also true.

>squeezes the legs like sausages
people are just plain fatter today
>>
>>18086464
Japanese school girls are built for their onii-chan (and me). Davido-kuns need not apply. Fuck off, they're full.
>>
>>18088919
More less spot on here.
Back in the day, the key to success as a clothing retailer was partly selection but mostly quality. Now, it’s about churning out the most low effort pieces of shit that people will still buy for the cheapest possible price and maximizing number of sales. That’s why the quality on everything good gets worse over time. Brooks Brothers literally could not afford to continue manufacturing oxfords with as high a quality as they had but even if they could they wouldn’t have since doing so would’ve meant missing out on corporate profits and failing to grow relative to the competition. So even the companies that would inevitably fail to thrive lowered the quality. The most successful brands in the world now are mass-produced, low-quality items from companies like Uniqlo.
>>
File: file.png (1.03 MB, 958x632)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>18083968
People are too demoralized to keep up appearance. Nobody cares anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.