[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Peterson-1-e1655145509753.jpg (1.39 MB, 4478x2678)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
i want a suit for church.

who here knows about materials, brands, whatever? i dont mind spending some money but i have heard that you would better spend some money getting measured and tailored than off the rack

people dress formal in my church but kinda low effort, bland, not with intentionality. i'd like to be among the nicest dressed but not so fancy that i look like a prat.
>>
>>18160979
Do you own research
Why are low tier men so helpless?
>>
>>18160980
no but thanks for the bump. please reply again
>>
>>18160979
Get a nice wool suit from a tailor that compliments your figure and has a color that works well with your features (skin, eyes, hair). Actually, I guess considering it's church, do not get something tight that's supposed to show off your toned body or whatever. Nice and airy like a real classic suit.
>>
https://www.permanentstyle.com/the-guide-to-cloth
>>
>>18160979
Why? Do other church goers do this?
>>
>>18161000
at my church people dress formally (just shittily). and if you think about it one should dress in a glorious way when attending church...
>https://www.truemagic.nz/p/s1e6-how-should-we-dress-for-church
>>18160992
thank you for this resource.
>>18160991
>do not get something tight that's supposed to show off your toned body or whatever.
that works cuz im chubby anyway. thanks for the advice.
>has a color that works well with your features (skin, eyes, hair).
will i be able to just tell this instinctively?
>>
>>18161007
man just go to the mall nordstrom and try something on that fits, I think Jesus would appreciate humility over the top of the line suits
>>
>>18160979
https://suitsupply.com
Ideally there is a local one you can visit, otherwise find a local tailor get measured, buy the appropriate sized suit and then have the tailor take care of any needed alterations.
>>
>>18161065
Also get something navy with fairly standard fabric, no linen or tencel or shit like that.
Don't wear a black suit to church unless it's a funeral
>>
>>18160979
>brands
Get it tailored, you consoomer. Find a suit tailor near you and ask him whatever you want to know, and get it tailored from him.
>>
>>18161065
there's one 70 miles away in greenwich, if it's an all-in process then it makes sense to travel there once or twice. may i ask why you recommend them in particular?
>>18161037
>I think Jesus would appreciate humility over the top of the line suits
right, you're correct that one should be and appear humble... but im not looking for "top of the line" suits, im looking for something that doesnt look like i went to target and bought something 15 years old and 4 inches off size.
>>18161073
>Get it tailored, you consoomer
yeah thats what i heard, something mediocre that fits is better than something nice that doesnt fit. thats why im asking about tailoring as well. but brand and material might also matter.
>>
>>18160979
>i want a suit for church
why? nobody that's ever visited this Azerbaijani cross-stitching forum believes in God.
you didn't fall for the meme, did you Anon?
>>
>>18161079
lovin the "eastern country obscure hobby" meme there friend that's definitely some free-thinking stuff there
>>
>>18161074
>may i ask why you recommend them in particular?
Because people who know way more about suiting then me recommend them. They are a big step up from places like mens warehouse without crossing into paying out the ass for designer stuff category.
Good fabric, good construction, good baseline quality .
Of course it's also important to consider your budget, the utility you are going to get out of it etc. but if you get a reasonably traditional styled suit in a standard not slim fit that looks good on you you can easily wear it for decades. Again stick with wool traditional colors, timeless, not modern and trendy.
Not to say it's impossible to get a good result somewhere cheaper but it may require more research and active involvement / knowledge the process to ensure a good result.
>>
>>18161082
originality doesn't truly exist. obsession with being perceived as a "free thinker" is intellectual self-cuckoldry.
you have to engage with others' ideas in order to build upon them in meaningful and substantive ways. otherwise you're just spinning your wheels, "re-inventing" long-dead ideas that your cognitive superiors have already expanded upon.
>>
>>18161106
>Not to say it's impossible to get a good result somewhere cheaper but it may require more research and active involvement / knowledge the process to ensure a good result.
cool, sounds like it's right up my alley. i have enough money to spend as long as it saves me time and gives me what i want. looks like they have the option to consult with them before going there so i will work on that. thanks
>>18161109
fair enough.
then, yes, i believe in Jehovah god. his servant, king solomon, agrees with you that there is nothing new under the sun.
>>
>>18160979
>i want a suit for church.
most cringe sentence there be
>>
>>18161074
I suspect Suitsupply is not the highest quality M2M brand, but you can get fully wool, half canvassed suits that fit properly and are good for wearing once a week or so. Price is quite reasonable. They can get you fitted and alterations ordered in one appointment and usually do alterations on-site. They generally know what they are doing and won't give you something totally fucked up. Going somewhere in person is worth it.

I bough an SS suit and COO of my company complimented me on it.

Go with the double-vented jacket style, it goes a long way in looking more elegant and less cheap, and stands out a bit in the environment you are describing, without looking pretentious at all. Personally, i'd recommend charcoal or grey, or a dark navy, not the medium blue every church zoomer I see wearing.
>>
Go to a tailor and get measured.
You need the following: Shoulder width, sleeve length, chest waist, distance from the bottom of your neck to the bottom of your ass, rise (distance from your crotch to navel), and your inseam.

You aren't going made to measure so you don't need more than that. The tailor should be able to tell you your dimensions and then the dimensions of the shit that will fit you best.

So if your real chest is 40 inches, you'll probably want the suit to measure 43-44 inches in the chest, etc. He can explain how the shoulders should fit, how long the sleeves should be, etc.

Once you have that info from an unbiased source, you have a couple options. First, go to Brooks Brothers or Nordstroms. Get a medium gray all wool suit, not a blend. Solid gray, no patterns. Or a solid navy wool suit. These are workhorses and can go with just about any color out there.

Try a few on, see how the fit off the rack, compare them to how the tailor told you they should fit.
Basic rule of suits if you can take a chest in and let it out, you can shorten it lengthen a sleeve, but you can't really mess with the shoulders. So if the suit fits great in the shoulders and chest but it's a little baggy in the waist, no problem. The in house tailor can fix that or go back to the tailor you saw and give him your business. I prefer that route, I have a good relationship with a local tailor and save a shitload of money.

Option 2 is more risky but alot cheaper. Take the measurements from the tailor, look on eBay for suits. Brooks Brothers and Hickey Freeman are normally "safe" and great values. Polo Ralph Lauren can be an amazing value or utter horseshit and if you don't know the tags/label you're taking a gamble, I wouldn't start there. Same principle here, look for something that fits in the shoulders and is close enough in everything else to adjust if needed. You can easily get a suit worth $2k for $150-300 online, spend $200 tailoring to perfection and still be ahead.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.