[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Do these thicker cotton t-shirts get hot during the summer unlike conventional t-shirts?
>>
>>18186769
Its cotton you won't overheat
>>
>>18186774
That's not the question learn to read
>>
>>18186777
Bro its cotton
Thick or thin it works the same way
If anything thicker is better in the summer for higher moisture absorption
>>
>>18186769
depends on the fit. loose fitting ones ehh its not a big difference i find heavyweight wearable. slim fitting ones yeah fuck no 6oz max in the summer or whatever the minimum you need for your nips not to show.
>hoka captcha, for some reason?
>>
>>18186780
>Thick or thin it works the same way
Never post on this board again
>>
>>18186783
Nigga it is cotton
the denser knit will obviously be hotter than something lightweight
But the fibre properties stay the same
>>
>>18186789
not that anon
cotton can be very airy
not really in a jersey knit though that's true
most of your air flow is going to be from billows/fit if the shirts thick enough to not be seethrough
>>
Yes, obviously.
>>
>>18186780
you don't want moisture absorption, you want moisture wicking.
the quicker that sweat wicks away from you and evaporates, the better.

cotton just gets wet and sticky.
>>
>>18187018
True what is the best heavy moisture wicking fabric
>>
>>18187025
wool
cotton/linen blend
>>
>>18186769
where do i buy this type of shirt? specifically the wash/coloring - what is it called?
>>
>>18187030
OP should try merino
>>
>>18187037
thick cotton t-shirt, off amazon
>>
>>18187025
ignore the other reply guy's borderline retarded.
S tier: polyester, nylon
big gap
B tier: wool

>>18187030
bro what lol back when i was in high school they send the flunkies and potheads to "materials science" instead of chemistry and physics.
this is some "couldn't even pass materials science" tier shit.
moisture wicking is a property of how hydrophobic something is. do you even know that?
wool is moisture wicking but lower down on the list of moisture wicking fabrics in terms of how well it wicks.
cotton and linen are hydrophilic so they don't wick moisture the fibers absorb it.
>>
>>18187101
>polyester, nylon
fuck off. that shit feels disgusting to wear and smells terrible when you sweat in it.
>>
>>18187037
Cum crusting
>>
>>18187197
that's not the question dolt its: does it wick moisture. the answer is yes a lot more readily than wool does.
>that shit feels disgusting to wear
blends exist.
why don't they use wool in performance fabrics when money's no object to the outdoor community and people will pay $200 for a tee if its slightly better? answer because it doesn't perform nearly as good as a thin polyester mesh in hot weather, it doesn't insulate as well as wool fleece in cold weather etc. wool gets used for socks, underwear, hats, gloves, etc primarily.
the idea of wearing a wool shirt for high physical activity in summer is peak "internet armchair" spergery. anyone who's actually tried it (me, most outdoors people) can tell you wool tees are miserable looking, fall apart lightning fast, and just aren't pleasant when its hot out. it might seem like a good idea on paper but in practice you want something like a wool tee to be around 120 gsm to be even slightly wearable in hot weather doing physical activity (its still going to get REKT by polyester) but in reality you need a wool tee to be more like 170, 180 gsm minimum to not fall apart two times in the wash or run the second something snags it.
peak "sounds good when you're on the internet, probably never actually tried it"

>>18187037
you'll see them listed as acid wash or sometimes just garment dyed (which can mean other things too)
>>
for summer I like triblends from the blank shirt wholesalers. cheap, cool, and dry a lot quicker than 100% cotton
>>
>>18187619
triblend and polycotton is big underrated nothing performs better in tropical/jungle climates that i've found if the fabric is thin enough.
>>
It's too bad synthetics perform so damn well. I'd like to avoid buying into the whole microplastics pollution industry, but the utility gap between natural and artificial fibers is just so extreme for many applications.
>>
>>18187701
my personal approach is p sane of a compromise i think. only wear/tolerate synthetic when its inclusion is deliberate with purpose and improves the qualities of the garment:
- use whatever fabric is best suited for my technical hiking gear. i go the kinds of places being unprepared when a few things go wrong means death so anything less seems retarded. sometimes its a synthetic sometimes its a natural fiber.
- synthetic for gym and sports clothes except sweats cotton is better for those.
- lean heavily towards high quality natural textile and knits with my casual wardrobe because they're more luxurious and the tradeoff is worth the technical properties. but tolerate synthetic when its added intentionally for look, drape, hand feel, strength etc.

and rules i keep for the garments themselves:
- lean towards loose fits with synthetic garments that aren't winter insulation layering clothes. my gym and non winter outdoors clothes are all oversized. helps majorly with synthetics feeling gross on the skin.
- never buy rain shells or hardshells made of pfas forever chemical bullshit. it doesn't actually breathe unless its dry anyways. if its dry take it the fuck off. columbia outdry and silpoly outperform gore tex pro which is not good enough to bet your life on where i live because it can and will wet out.
>>
>>18187018
>moisture wicking
A marketing meme made up to sell people cheap, undesirable plastic clothing made from old water bottles.
Humans evolved the ability to sweat over millions of years in order to cool ourselves down, removing that sweat with hydrophobic plastic clothing to keep our bodies dry is stupid. Plastic clothing in general is stupid and is generally purchased by stupid people.

The best way to stay cool in the summer is by wearing loose-fitting shirts made of natural materials such as cotton, wool or linen, selecting light colors, optionally prioritizing long sleeves to protect the skin from sunburn. This has been common knowledge for millennia.
>>
File: 1695783486344294.jpg (222 KB, 1600x1221)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>18188102
>stays cool in the desert in dark colors in your path
Dark clothes aren't always bad. They absorb more light, so the clothes get hot. In contrast to lighter clothes, where some of that light will pass through, heat you up, and then trap that heat between your skin and the clothes.
>>
>>18186769
Yes, they do.
>>
File: 1713627442979521.gif (3.54 MB, 297x299)
3.54 MB
3.54 MB GIF
>>18186769
>does a thicker shirt "get" warmer than a thinner shirt made from the same material
>>
>>18188102
>wool in summer
gringo retrasado sin cerebro
>>
Hideous

Looks like you woke up from the matrix
>>
>>18188102
>removing that sweat with hydrophobic plastic clothing to keep our bodies dry is stupid.
so its smart to wear highly absorbent natural fiber clothes that hinder the sweat evaporation process?
instead of ones which allow it to happen?
i don't think you thought this moronic post through very much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN0NO2DBETM

>>18188377
tropical wool exists its rather comfortable but it looks like SHIT it drapes like SHIT and you're lucky to get 1 season out of the garments because the washing machine murders wool that low of g/m2.
>>
>>18188102
>A marketing meme made up to sell people cheap, undesirable plastic clothing made from old water bottles.
bro you can just look at mountaineering records by year and see when polyester started getting introduced to the market. same for rubber sole tennis shoes (which were superior for mountain climbing than old timey hobnail boots)
you know its mostly because of synthetic clothes why grandma's can summit everest no problem these days right?
>>
>>18188102
opposite day tier post. you're so close to getting it but then you mix up the properties of natural and synthetic fibers and make a case for why coolmax is so good without knowing it.
what's your deep lore?
i'm trying to figure out why so many of you guys exist. did you just throw on one generic weave winter weight polyester shirt, sweat in it, and decide REE POLYESTER BAD? have you ever worn a polyester mesh before? were you even using the right garment for its intended use case? what about coolmax? do you even know the gsm of the poly shirts you based your opinion on?
i know its just a tiktok and /pol/ trend to blindly hate synthetic stemming from lol tier misunderstandings of rightful concerns with microplastics (touching it won't estrogenize you lmao its the clothes getting into the food supply after being discarded you actually have to worry about)

>Humans evolved the ability to sweat over millions of years in order to cool ourselves down
yes
>removing that sweat with hydrophobic plastic clothing to keep our bodies dry is stupid
wearing natural hydrophilic fibers removes the sweat and absorbs it into the garment where it can't evaporate.
coolmax polyester was invented to allow the natural sweat evaporation process to happen when you have clothes on.
did you pass chemistry in high school? serious.
>>
>>18188810
i think the only issue with polyesther clothes is if that shit's in your underwear and traps the heat and gets it directly on your balls. of course i think this extended to people thinking that goes to all clothes when it really doesn't; it's all shit that washes off in a shower if it does somehow
>>
>>18188822
synthetics suck ass for underwear. wool and silk are king. cotton too but only because no one makes 120-140gsm wool underwear anymore most brands start thicker because they get too many durability complaints from actual thin wool.
same with socks but synthetic socks have their place: goated for short term high activity stuff like the gym where you can swap them for a fresh pair of something else after. and silk has durability issues in socks tends to fair better blended.
>>
>>18186769
They will feel hotter than the thinner shirts, naturally. Anyone telling you you can't get hot in cotton is wrong. Obviously the thicker the material, the less breathability it has, and this is even true for very breathable materials like cotton or lycocel.

Other factors like the knit/weave of the material also come into play. For example, Ventile is a type of cotton that is woven so tight that it becomes waterproof when it swells up slightly. This also means that it isn't as breathable as normal cotton weaves.

Anyway a mid-weight cotton t-shirt probably isn't going to become unbearable if you wear it during the summer but your mileage may vary. I would not go for a heavyweight version though.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.