[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dry.png (430 KB, 600x486)
430 KB
430 KB PNG
"professional dryclean only"

what the fuck is even this ?
What's wrong with water ? Water is dangerous ? Water is gonna destroy my pants ?

"ummm actually yes, you should use chemical stuff instead, also don't forget to wear a mask and gloves while using it if you want to do it yourself, or just pay like 7 euros for washing one piece of clothing"

FUCK dry cleaning, this is a scam, my pants will be washed with WATER
>>
>>18187214
>Water is gonna destroy my pants ?
It might shrink, which will damage the integrity of the seams and change in structure which can result in the garment falling apart.
Some fabrics can outright get damaged from water washing or bleed color.

The 'dry cleaning only' label isn't a way to trick you into spending your money on unnecessary stuff, it's mostly to prevent legal issues with absolute retards who don't understand how fabrics work
>>
>>18187293
so if I go outside and it rains my pants are gonna shrink ? If it's hot and I start sweating in them they're gonna shrink ?
Nice try, dry cleaning lobbyist, I'm still not gonna spend a meal's worth of money to wash one pair of pants
>>
it doesn't mean anything retard just wash it like normal clothes jesus christ isn't this the first thing you learn when you start buying your own clothes
>>
>>18187214
dry clean only stuff can usually be washed if you have a non-poor people front loader with all the proper delicate settings like being able to turn the spin cycle fully off.
if you use the right detergent (aka something without brighteners etc)
etc
most people are too retarded, half ass it, ruin their clothes.
some garments just should NOT be machine washed and should only be spot cleaned etc. the tag you posted indicates that might be the case. if there's leather shit on it that isn't removable it will be ruined with a few washes. spot clean it or let the professionals do it.
>>
>>18187344
>if I go in the rain
fabrics may shrink because of a combination of hot water and mechanical stress, so they're very unlikely to shrink in the rain
>will they srink if I sweat
they very well might if you sweat enough, especially if you do so while the garment's being stretched even slightly, like a pair of pants while you're sitting
most things can be washed by hand or machine, while some things are best dry cleaned
>>
>>18187600
usually the weight of the garment when wet, if you're wearing it, causes more mechanical stretch/sag than the shrinkage because getting wet also makes the fabric heavy and if its going to shrink its a fabric that has give to it.
can speak from experience being a denimfag who buys unsanforized and lives in a northern climate that getting caught out in rain can stretch the fuck out of the knees in jeans and ruin the fit.
>>
File: blue linen shirt.jpg (313 KB, 923x1202)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
I have a 100% linen shirt that says this. Any clues as to why? The only thing I can think of is the dyes or something. I didn't notice until I got it home and cut the labels off. Oddly the website says machine wash (cold, soft cycle, inside out), but the label specifically says no hand-washing (or machine washing obviously) and dry-clean only.
>>
>>18187821

Other linen stuff from the same place says hand-wash on the label so I'm even more confused.
>>
>>18187214
This is a reminder to check the care instructions before you buy a pair of pants online, boys.
>>
>>18187821
It’s a shirt, not a suit right? Shoulder pads would mean you really should dry clean it.

It’ll be fine but you could put it in a delicate bag and it will definitely be safe in the washer. Linen can get messed up by being wrapped around the agitator in the middle of a top loading washer. If you put it inside a bag then that can’t happen.
>>
>>18187821
itll be fine with a mild detergent (dr bronner soap safe bet) they don't use natural dyes few brands do they'll loudly tell you on the website if you do.
>>
>Shoulder pads would mean you really should dry clean it.
i didn't think of that in my answer good point. if the shoulders arent padded it should be fine.
throwing it in with other clothes not alone in the wash also reduces the chance of it getting wrapped up. or disabling spin cycle if your machine allows.
>>
>>18187991
bought it in a thrift store. I'll wash it with cold water setting and let it dry flat, just like my other pants with dry clean label. If something happens to it well too bad, will pay attention to labels in the future
>>
>>18188030

It's a 100% linen shirt, pic was it, no pads etc. I was confused/worried because I bought another linen shirt from the same place and it was cold machine washable on the label which is why I got worried it was maybe due to the dye pattern (the other shirt was solid color as are all my other linen shirts that are machine washable)

I guess I could try hand-washing a corner of it and see what happens, I was thinking of hemming the bottom a bit anyway since it's slightly too long.
>>
>>18188538
their other shit in that pattern doesn't say dry clean only and it doesn't look naturally dyed.
its probably just on the tag for liability and safe to wash. hand washing is always the safe bet yep. when in doubt.
>>
i guess it could be dyed with something that doesn't play friendly with brighteners just use a really simple ass soap like dr bronners.
>>
File: linen-cloth-close-up.jpg (3.82 MB, 3472x3424)
3.82 MB
3.82 MB JPG
>>18188575

No, not that pattern, just other linen shirts from them (solid colors) say gentle cold machine wash. The blue one with that weird white pattern says dry-clean only no-hand-wash. I guess it's actually just different colored linen threads woven together. Here's a pic of the close-up + instructions.

Yeah I'll hand-wash just the bottom part that I was thinking of hemming off anyway just in case the dyes fuck up or something.

Instructions translated:
* Dry clean
* Do not bleach
* Do not machine or hand wash
* Do not machine dry

The other solid-color one oddly says do NOT dry clean on it oddly enough.

I bought both at the same time from the same physical store/brand/country of origen (here)/etc and both are linen,just the other has all threads the same color ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>18187214
You do realize "dry cleaning" still uses water right? Surely you're not that retarded
>>
>>18188691
i mean it could be dyed with indigo. worst case the blue fades out a little. just be sure to use a brightener free soap and you should be fine.
>>
>>18188766

if it is indigo, could it dye the white threads and cause it to lose the pattern and become all murky? I stained my white shoes wearing raw denim in the rain before. I guess even if that happens it could still look good, just different, more uniform.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.