[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: HW00477_400_03.jpg (53 KB, 447x670)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
What are anons' thoughts on button down shirts?
They too much for an everyday thing or only for special events?
You prefer long sleeve or short sleeve?
How do you personally style them if you use them?
Have a couple but i'm kind of on the fence about them. Some patterns are just fine but others seem a bit too wonky or spaced out. Maybe i'm overthinking it.
>>
>>18243347
I wear them untucked regularly. Unbuttoned at the beach without an undershirt. They’re fine anon. Tucked looks better but only with long sleeves but hard to pull off casually unless you live in a city
>>
>>18243358
What kind do you go for? Plaid print? One shade? Nerdy and le quirky design? Hawaiian?
Plaid is kind of wonky for me. Some of it can look good but idk why it kind of seems off in a weird way. Like spacially, the plaid is either too far apart or too close together.
>>
Everyday use, long sleeves (although I have some short-sleeved ones for casual use in extreme heat), no patterns or very minimal ones. I utterly hate plaid and all loud patterns on me.
>>
>>18243373
>long sleeves
Plaid flannel untucked, one shade dress shirts tucked, one shade linen tucked or untucked
>short sleeves
One shade linen, le quirky design/Hawaiian, multi color stripes all untucked
>>
I don't like this new button down shirt fad. It's worse than the linen fad and the chinos fad. What's next? Belts? Just because shein told you it looks good doesn't mean it does.
>>
>>18243386
Is it back in style? I’ve been stuck in the 90s/2000s style my whole life. Makes sense that it would be since it was popular then and baggy (straight leg) jeans are back in style. Though a lot of people wore the polo shirts then, but I never liked those
>>18243373
See this. A lot of my clothes are still from high school even.
>>
>>18243347
Short sleeve shirts look goofy
>>
>>18243389
I thought I was being funny. Please don't tell me people actually think this way about shirts with buttons on them. I hate this board so much
>>
>>18243411
No I read the sarcasm but I wasn’t sure if you were being ironic because kids are wearing button up shirts again.
>>
>>18243402

I think they look good in summer but OP's shirt's pattern is ass
>>
>>18243402
You can just roll up long sleeve shirts and it looks better.
>>
Short sleeve shirts are the most nonsensical piece of clothing ever conceived. Just roll that shit up nigger.
>>
File: 1200x0.jpg (97 KB, 1200x506)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
basically all I ever wear is a long sleeved shirt and jeans
like pic rel for example
>>
>>18243347
who the fuck asks if basic ass shirts with buttons are okay to wear every day or even assumes they're only for special occasions
>>
I like short sleeve shirts personally. The short sleeve plus black skinny jeans and black and white vans or converse is an easy to pull off classic combo, though specifically if you’re a skinny person with twig arms, not unlike myself. Think something like Shinji Ikari, I think they look bad on fat or buff people though. In the summer I also wear hawaiian or okinawan shirts like that.
>>
>>18244031
>americans especially on the west coast

All you had to say was the south and your larp could have been believable. Westcoast has dry heat and gets much cooler at night. Many areas have a climate similar to Mediterranean countries.
>>
>>18244059

nta but west coast is generally more casual, especially pnw

not because of the heat, just what's popular

jeans + tshirt + raincoat/tech coat
or
jeans + tshirt + hoodie
or
shorts + tshirt
etc

he's not larping have you ever been to the PNW? the most you'll usually get is dark wash jeans + flannel (maybe ocbd max)
>>
>>18244083
Yeah and I'm talking about Cali too especially socal. You are trying to tell me about a place on the Westcoast where a Dr is paying you to dress him and he's only worn tshirts, polos and shorts because it's so hot? Just say you made it all up
>>18244111
What he said was total bullshit that doesn't apply to anywhere on the Westcoast
>>
>>18244121

do you wear it with hiking boots too?
>>
>>18243347
Call me autistic but during the summer (when it's not as hot) I like to wear jeans with a short sleeve button down tucked in. White sneakers. Tank top/wifebeater underneath shirt. I like to think I'm some sort of cool 80s guy but I do know that may not be the case
>>
>>18243347
Short sleeve button downs are for children. Roll them up like an actual adult
>>
>>18245135
You only use long sleeves? Wouldn't it get a tad bit sweaty? I don't mind the idea of a long sleeve for it's versatility, but i'm sort of on the fence about it.
>>
>>18243970
wasnt this a movie where they both become insane suicidal japanese retards?
>>
>>18244012
Zoomers. Who's only idea of what to wear comes from social media.
>>
>>18245234
>Wouldn't it get a tad bit sweaty?
no. if you're sweating with a sleeve roll then your shirt is an inappropriate weight/weave/material for the weather. you should be wearing stuff like low fabric weight poplin, oxford, seersucker, linen blend, barcloth, silk, chambray etc in the summer. a good summer shirt breathes and keeps you cooler than being shirtless (because skin surface temp)

and he's right. short sleeves with spread collars, button down collars etc are manchild tier unless you know what you're doing most of the time. if you want to wear a short sleeve shirt get a camp collar, cuban collar or aloha shirt.
extremely hot+humid (both not just hot) climates are an exception, social customs are different on tropical islands.
>>
>>18244012
I'm young, never had clothes to wear in middle and high school, and am trying to better my fashion sense. Don't know how to dress.
>>
>>18245395
How would you go about with a short sleeve shirt if it were an absolute must and long sleeves weren't an option, for whatever reason?
I figure short sleeves are pretty casual, but can easily go into crack head territory. I don't know, they seem either like too much for the regular ordeal or too little, but definitely on the casual side. Long sleeves seem more dressed if that makes sense. I am kind of new to the whole thing.
>>
>>18245735
are polo shirts acceptable for the situation? i'd wear camp collars, polos and (nice) hawaiian shirts personally if we're speaking a causal outfit.
how casual/formal are we talking?
if you live somewhere where there's a formality exception and short sleeves are acceptable in formal wear... i know that's a thing but i'm not an expert i'd look for well dressed SEAmonkeys on social media and take inspo there.
>>
>>18245745
I'm just spitballing a hypothetical, not exactly a one size fits all but something that would be sort of down the middle of the road. Just for everyday general situations. I would imagine smart casual being neutral. Like I said, kind of new to the game. I'm sort of overthinking it.
>>
did the scamdemic and athleisure really poison daily casual wear so much that we now have to assess whether a button down is doing too much? I hate athleisure so much bros...
>>
>>18245784
Yes. I get it all the time with my friends who think anything even more than a tshirt and sweatpants is too dressy.
>>
>>18245776
>not exactly a one size fits all but something that would be sort of down the middle of the road. Just for everyday general situations.
polo shirt for sure.
>>
>>18243347
>They too much for an everyday thing or only for special events?
It's a fucking button up shirt, not a suit. No it's not too much for everyday use, you zoomer manchild.
>>
>>18246329
https://youtu.be/2pdhFNrLizI?si=uU1GkCg5PQf17tc8

Don't be fucking RUDE
>>
>>18245135
>>18245395
Not the guy you're replying to but how the fuck do you even do it? I have twig arms and rolled up feels like shit. Like wearing a tie on my arms.
>>
>>18243347
It isn't surprising that button up shirts are being considered too formal for casual wear. Casualization of clothing marches on, soon wearing jeans will be only be dates and weddings.
>>
>>18246570
>but how the fuck do you even do it? I have twig arms and rolled up feels like shit. Like wearing a tie on my arms.
buy shirts that aren't reddit fit in the arms. undo the gauntlet button. don't stop the roll at your elbow go below or above it. try the "j crew roll" if you haven't it works way better on some shirts and conventional roll on others.
>>
>>18243347
I should probably wear them more often but I don't go out much. I would not recommend short-sleeve button downs. That's what tees and polos are for. If you need the sleeves to be a bit shorter, just roll up the arms. Whether you tuck or not really depends on the shirt's length and how it fits on your body.

>>18243386
How is this a fad? They are just normal clothes anon.
>>
>>18243347
I'll do button-down western shirts and flannels and linens, but I can't do "office shirts" like the one you posted. They all feel light, cheap, and insubstantial. The touch to the hand is just bad. Paper clothes.
>>
File: IMG_5401.jpg (120 KB, 1000x1500)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>18243347
>What are anons' thoughts on button down shirts?
they're great
>They too much for an everyday thing or only for special events?
I wear them every day - work and play.
>You prefer long sleeve or short sleeve?
I prefer long sleeve for work and short for play but it's all about the weather.
>How do you personally style them if you use them?
Every which way. Under a sweater during winter, with khakis and sneakers for work, short sleeves with shorts and sandals in summer, thick knits with jeans, rolled up sleeves, etc.,

The only thing I avoid is unbuttoned with undershirt. It can look good sometimes but most often it looks juvenile and tryhard, which is the main thing I try to avoid. Looking good doesn't take any effort, what takes effort is looking natural and at ease.
>Have a couple but i'm kind of on the fence about them.
Don't force it.
>Some patterns are just fine but others seem a bit too wonky or spaced out.
Variety is key. It's a good feeling to open your closet and pick the perfect shirt to match your outfit and mood for the day. Try your favorites and experiment to find new favorites.
>Maybe i'm overthinking it.
Only because your lifestyle doesn't give you the latitude to experiment with different shirts. Wear what you feel comfortable with. I would not feel at ease wageslaving with a t-shirt but I don't judge people who do. I used to wear t-shirts outside of work but even that feels too casual now and I wear shirts for almost everything. I don't like the way I look with t-shirts anymore, makes me look childish and unkempt. Shirts give me just the right level of cleaning up while still looking effortless. If you feel good with a t-shirt rock on.

tldr: the ease and simplicity of just throwing on a shirt and looking better is priceless, feels like cheating
>>
>>18245732
If you wear button down shirts tucked in an and a pair of trousers with a belt every day people will treat you like you’re actually human when you’re out in public. If you don’t feel like dressing like that immediately start off by buying some check shirts to wear over your T-shirts and then after a few months tuck them into your trousers and ditch the T-shirt worn underneath. This will make things feel more natural than just immediately dressing in three piece suits.

t. Briton who grew up wearing t shirts, jogger bottoms, and occasionally jeans

Put on a thin jumper like the ones people wear in state schools (made of a decent material like wool, unlike the ones in state schools) and people might actually defer to you in public. You will also get more beggars approaching you for cash but that is a trade off.

Some basic rules:
1. Choose colours that go well together
2. Things should not have a “polyester sheen” to them. Avoid this by just avoiding polyester like the plague.
3. Avoid graphic T-shirts or anything that relies on a text reference to something else. You should think “this jumper is a nice jumper” rather than “this jumper has x on it and x is nice.”
4. Avoid slim fit like the plague
>>
>>18245735
>>18249113
5. Don’t buy short sleeved shirts. Buy long sleeved shirts and roll the sleeves up. This way you have a shirt you can use in winter and summer.

If the cuffs fall past your wrist or are to wide, and the rest of the shirt fits well, then you can remove the buttons and sew them on in a different position to make the cuffs fit better. I do this with all my shirts because I have short arms.
>>
File: 1726593795727.png (1.09 MB, 990x1267)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>18245735
>How would you go about with a short sleeve shirt if it were an absolute must and long sleeves weren't an option, for whatever reason?
Madras popover
Incredibly light breathable fabric
Beautiful patterns that fade with repeated washings
Not a mandchild tier button down short sleeve shirt (these never look good)
>>
>>18249116
Different anon, question about what you've said about slim fit. I mostly have what are called "classic fit" shirts and quite often they can seem awkwardly large, do you think this is probably just me not being used to wearing a shirt (very possible)? Only asking because I have heard that the classic fit shirts are more for wearing under something, like a more formal jacket or a jumper.
>>
>>18249311
Classic fit shirts have a larger more relaxed cut compared to contemporary shirts.
Some very authentic classic shirt cuts are fucking huge, some are more restrained.
There are a number of reasons they are cut like that. These cuts were designed when strech fabrics didn't exist and clothing that was too tight would limit range of motion, it was also the advent of mass manufacturing of clothing and larger cuts could fit a greater number of different body shapes and sizes so it was a way to make a shirt that fit everyone.
>I have heard that the classic fit shirts are more for wearing under something
In the early 1900s a button down shirt was sort of considered underwear since it would always be worn under a jacket and not on its own.
Anyway a reasonably cut classic fit shirt looks great when paired with properly proportioned clothing. An extremely large cut classic fit shit really only good on fat guys and that's mostly who buys them
>>
>>18244012
In America, at least outside of cities, a button down is genuinely dressier than 90% of people unless you're in an office building. And even then most office don't require them anymore.
>>
>>18249311
Classic cuts will be noticeably larger than most shirts but if they’re awkward then you might be a size smaller than you thought. Some shirts were historically cut substantially larger for workers to be more mobile (e.g. lower arm holes or even gusset sleeves (that’s where you have a square of fabric between the underside of the sleeve and the torso) for agricultural workers) but I doubt that’s a consideration of modern designers.

Even if the shirt is a bit roomy as long as the collar isn’t massive on you, you can take in the cuffs to make the sleeves fit properly. If the shirt is particularly big then this can create a poofy effect where the sleeves drape over the cuff ever so slightly but I don’t really mind that and I wear a lot of linen so it fits the look.

>worn under something
This is how they were originally intended but they should be fine just by themselves.
>>
>>18243347
Just so you know the shirt in your pic is called a button UP. Button down refers to shirts with buttons on the collar like in this pic.
>>
>>18243347
They're alright but if you're opting for short sleeve leave the top 2 buttons undone, lest you end up looking as if you wish to have sex with your own mother
>>
File: 1705889360878700.jpg (132 KB, 642x963)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>18249545
>is called a button UP. Button down refers to shirts with buttons on the collar
good to know
>>
>>18249545
Nobody in the unfathomable expanse of infinite space and time that makes up our universe gives a shit but you
>>
>>18243347
that's not a button down

>>18243386
you don't know what a button down is

>>18245106
based
>>
>>18250374
If you don't care about the difference you don't have to worry about it because it means you're not rich enough to shop at stores where the employees will know the difference anyways.
>>
File: 1703994334207524.jpg (92 KB, 640x657)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>18249311
what this anon said >>18249539
and adding you really do need to pair classic fit shirts with high rise trousers that fit wide enough in the leg to have comparable visual volume.
if i wear a classic fit shirt with modern pants it looks retarded.
if i wear a classic fit shirt with some 13-17" rise wide fit trousers it looks amazing.
i'm a rather small guy (picture "asian physique" but i'm white) and i wear them all the time. despite the clothes fitting loose it puts emphasis on my true waist which is great for subtly signalling that i'm in better shape than all the other men everywhere i go.
and yes classic fit shirts do sometimes need tailoring in the body. loose isn't shapeless.

>>18250374
lol anon every man who's not a little boy over age 20 knows this stuff.
>>
>>18245106
Keep doing your thing king. Pretty based.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.