[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (2.03 MB, 1000x1500)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB PNG
I have $1500 to put towards starting a wardrobe from scratch. I am mid-30s, white-collar and want a mature menswear look

How would you spend $1.5k if you were building a menswear wardrobe from scratch?
>>
Do you have a particular style in mind?
>>
>>18247582
Menswear, TIP without the autism. I hate to use this overplayed word but "old money" as I really like polos, shirts, and that simple style
>>
>>18247575
I'd buy a Colt Python and a box of ammo and continue wearing my old clothes.
>>
>>18247585
Already own a gun though
>>
>>18247936
Yeah me too. That's why I said Colt Python. You asked me what I'd spend the money on.
>>
>>18247575
used OCBDs from eBay from mid-tier brands like RL and stuff like that
>white, blue, pink, uni stripe
cords
sweaters either lighter merino pullovers or chunkier knits depending on climate
sperry CVOs for a casual sneaker
$1.5k is good but not so much that it won't go pretty quick when buying actually "nice" shoes so I would consider clarks (usually what I wear because loafers look bad on me)
used navy blazer
a few pairs of chinos (also used)
some secondhand ties you like

should come in well under 1.5k
you can decide to spend more from there if you want
>>
>>18247575
Just get the basic bastard wardrobe. A white, blue, and striped ocbd; 2 polo shirts, 1 merino crewneck and 1 vneck sweater, 1 chunkier patterned sweater; 1 medium-weight dark wash jean (straight fit); olive and khaki chinos; 1 pair of cords; 1 classic navy blazer; desert boots (i like sand/taupe suede); inoffensive sneakers; pair of slip ons; a brown cap toe boot and brown longwings or cap toe shoes.

It's boring, standard, and hard to fuck up. Go to thrift and consignment stores and prowl tj maxx and nordstrom rack. The boots, shoes, and blazer will comprise most of your budget.

Some accoutrements or additional nice-to-haves might include a non-team-affiliated baseball cap; a linen button down for hotter weather; a jacket of some sort (denim, field, chore jacket, etc); a parka for cold; and a pair of sunnies that fit your face.
>>
>>18248531
>>18248594
Fortunately I have a lot of these pieces
Thanks friends
>>
>>18247575
Buy clothes on ebay and be prepared to donate 75% of them. Get used to different styles and cuts, learn what measurements work on your body (not what size, since those change wildly by brand and even within brands, specifically what your measurements are). After a year or so your wardrobe will be massively better but more importantly you'll know what looks good on you and you can now safely spend more money on better clothing.
>>
>>18249436
why would anyone buy someone else's dirty sweat covered clothes?
>>
File: 523051_165_41.jpg (93 KB, 950x1092)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>18247575
I would buy some 875s or 1907s ($300), a pair of iron hearts($330), a laco aachen ($410), and a horsehide a2 ($700). But since that's overbudget I would get a field jacket like this one ($230)
>>
>>18249436
I would rather just buy a sewing machine and then make my own rather than buy off the rack overpriced clothes that won't fit any better than a moderately priced piece from ll bean or banana republic anyway.
>>
>>18247584
OLD MONEYYYYY
Diggin them stealth wealth vibez, bruh? Lowkey billionaire core.
>>
>>18250418
Not my fault retard zoomers have to come up with stupid labels for something as basic and wearing nice clothes
>>
File: 0454554.png (2.3 MB, 1920x1080)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB PNG
>>18250455
You think that you are above the faking a social status part, but deep inside, there's still some of it.
If i tell you that only poor people dress "old money", you'll not want to dress like that anymore.

Evey other poojet dress "old money" :
https://youtu.be/IFUIdcrgW6M?si=kHyzzMzXHiPS4mwY&t=479
Not saying it's a bad thing, it's great that people of every background try to dress decent, but you could have asked "how to dress like a poojet working in IT" for the exact same thing.
>>
>>18250606
You're so obsessed with insulting people and being racist that you can't get over the idea of someone simply wanting to look nice
>>
>>18250623
You're right and I'm sorry. Let me redeem myself, sir.

>How would you spend $1.5k if you were building a menswear wardrobe from scratch?
I'd buy 6 t shirts ($200), one shirt ($80), 3 jumpers ($250), 3 pair of pants ($300 to 400), 1 pair of shoes ($200), one coat ($350).
For these prices, i'd go with brands like Boggi Milano.
>>
>>18250418
Discovering not wearing gaudy trash and taking it to larping as Netflix imagination of upper class millionaires wearing some mediocre and soulless stuff from what America considers luxury brands is most ridiculous fashion/social delulu of the decade. Meanwhile 99% of actual old money look like your alcoholic grandpa from Florida as they just don't care. And one would thing dark academia was bad.
>>
This is it OP!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiLFqHYBLAI
>>
>>18250606
Yup
>>
>>18247575
QTDDTOT Can you guys please shotgun some quality relaxed fit staple items/brands? Loose around the collar longer and no nut scrunching spandex bullshit
>Shirts
>Pants
>Underwear
I just need to replace my aging clothes but I can't find stuff as comfortable as I have or want and it's all random shit that isn't being made anymore
>>
>>18252306
>shirts (I assume you mean t shirts)
Merz Schwannen, Loopwheeler, Studio d'artisan

Slightly cheaper: bronson mfg

Underwear: Stafford 100 cotton boxers. I've tried many types of 100 cotton underwear, these are the best.
>>
>>18252306
LL bean
>>
>>18247575
id do the same thing since tiktok blew up, i would continue to regular the thrift stores and swap meets on days off and half the time leave the store with horny zoomies. what? the clothes? lmao never really mattered just take care of your face, body, and manner of speak
>>
>>18247575
I would recommend against trying to create a mature menswear wardrobe from scratch on $1500 in one go

Spend that money on very solid simple items, meanwhile do research on boots and jackets and save for great versions of those

Thrift a lot to learn what works without spending tons
>>
>>18247575
You have to figure out what you actually want which will take time. Start by visiting all your local stores and seeing what you like and don't like. Don't online shop when you don't know what you want.
>>
>>18252442
yeah finding good underwear is hard
>>18252458
thanks anon
>>
Spend at least $250 of that on a sewing machine and accessories. Even the nicest clothes aren't going to fit you perfectly off the rack. Taking your wardrobe to a tailor will add up and cost a fortune; only take formal clothes like suits to one. The machine will pay for itself fast and you get to learn a new skill.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.