[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I just like it.
>>
you also "just like" sucking penises
>>
>>74228525
You also like bending over and taking dick you little bitch!
>>
>>74228506
It is a good exercise and you should keep doing it.
>>
People will avoid the OHP because "its not isolating my side deltoids enough bro"

Not realizing the OHP is building up your upper back/traps/core like crazy

Just because Lateral Raises are better for Side-Deltoids doesn't mean the OHP is bad.

I would rather OHP for my traps instead of do Shrugs
>>
Weights are so fucking gay. If you know that muscle mass doesn’t actually A) Make you better at fighting other men and B) Make women more attracted to you then why would you not just be a shredded calisthenics chad? You’re literally admitting that you train to impress other men aesthetically.
>>
>>74228549
Lifting weights is one of the best things you can do for your health, thats all that matters.

I dont give a shit what other men, women, or MMAcels think, say, or believe
>>
>>74228567
No it’s not it stresses your joints and leads to injury. Weight lifters are always injured. You also have to maintain regular access to weights constantly for the rest of your life or you will lose all
Of size and strength gains, fast. Calisthenics strength is like farmer strength, it stays with you for life
>>
>>74228567
Also you absolutely did start lifting to impress women and/or physically dominate other men. You are not thinking “health and longevity” when you’re getting those reps in and you know it. Stop lying.
>>
I hate it
>>
>>74228583
Im 36 been lifting weights since I was 15, I dont have any joint pain. You're an ignorant nigger.
>>
>>74228506
hit 80kg for 2 at 93 BW how good is this
>>
>>74228549
Wrong on both counts so..... ?
Don't bother replying, I don't care what you believe
>>
>>74228546
OHP is good for many reasons but building your traps is not one of them, retard
>>
Long term, these cause a lot of shoulder mileage. Whatever coping or justification you come up with, the bottom line is there is a reason most seasoned lifters eventually no longer include these in their routines
>>
I care for maintaining it
>>
>>74228546
>OHP is building up your upper back/traps/core like crazy
this is how we know you are dyel as fuck. squats and deadlifts should have developed that way past the point ohp builds anything
>>
>>74228691
>wrong in both counts
But you are speaking as a virgin who has never been in a fight. Your “proof” is your imaginary hypothetical scenarios
>”I imagine women WOULD be attracted to these muscles”
>”I imagine these muscles WOULD give me the advantage in a fight against a trained individual”

But you never stop and realise that neither of those things have ever actually happened in your life
>>
>>74228525
why are you fantasizing about other men sucking penis?
>>
>>74228506
10 sets of 10 every shoulder day buddeh
>>
>>74228549
While lifting for size doesn't help with fighting, neither does calisthenics. Lifting for strength absolutely does though.
And women do like some degree of muscles. Just not roided bodybuilder amounts. The vast majority of men would be more attractive to women if they put on at least a little bit of muscle.
And any goal that involves building muscle will be achieved fastest by lifting for size.
>>
File: 1713640287437112.jpg (59 KB, 941x1095)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>74228525
>brings up fag stuff out of nowhere
niggerfaggot kys
>>
>>74228506
are dumbbells better for you? like do they activate the shoulders more?
>>
>>74228637
Not bad if you weren't so heavy.
t. Bodyweight OHP at 80kg
>>
>>74228701
Ohp works the traps heavily because one of its main components is scapular elevation you stupid dyel
>>
>>74229940
Trumpfags still exist? I don't care who the IRS sends I'm not donating anymore money to Israel
>>
>>74228803
Uhhh why is your squat so low anon
>vnr
>>
>>74229968
dumbbells are pretty much always better
>>
>>74229940
>is this closeted that they want to censor fag
I've got some bad news for you
>>
>>74228701
Yea dood, and bench builds your mid traps from retracting them on the bench!
>>
>>74228549
Both are wrong. Lifting increases your weight and weight matters for fights.
>>
>>74228549
>muscle mass doesn’t actually A) Make you better at fighting other men
Technically true, more muscle mass without extra strength will make you slower.
But consider this:
>a strongman competitor and a calisthenics dyel step up to fight
>both have a good bit of training, have some full contact experience, but aren't pro fighters, let's say 5 years of training in their chosen combat sport
Who would you bet your money on? The guy that drags tractors and reps out inhuman weights, or the guy that does handstand pushups and dragon flags?
>>
>>74228506
I prefer the push press.
You aren't doing ohp to stimulate your muscles (an incline bench press would be just as good, and also hit the pecs), you're doing it because it's primal and generally an useful movement to train - then why wouldn't you do it in the even more primal and useful outside of the gym way?
>>
>>74228803
>I don't have a fucking squat rack: the routine
and your front squat is so shit because your clean is too weak, and/or takes too much energy, and that's all you can do.
Tell me I'm wrong.
>>
>>74228549
calisthenicsfags can't fight tho
>>
Lads there's nothing more fulfilling than OHPing 1 plate
Except maybe 2 plates
>>
>>74228567
Get a 3pl8 bench for reps then tell me it feels the same as 185 for reps.

>I'll just slide kick you in the abdomen 1shot
Oh yeah you think you're Bruce fuckin Lee 236 dollars I beat you in the octagon nigga its all i got.
>>
>>74230453
I will destroy you like it's nothing
>>
>>74230312
Stepping side kick oneshot by the leanqueer any day of the week its over instantly.
>>
>>74230342
Take anyone that can rep 275 for reps above that it's all skill. Any fixed fight you've seen between a roided thrower vs a dipshit with "skills" the dudes at like 185/275/315 for a few.

Nobody is eating a few shots from anyone that can lift 3pl8s let alone a kick to the ribs ain't happening.
>>
>le dumbbells are better

They're better if you're weak, good luck getting 100lbs+ dumbbells into shoulder press position all week in week out consistently without eventually snapping your shit up

But yes, Dumbbells are actually better, until they become a problem to get them into position, so if you're using dumbbells for OHP's still I know for a fact you're a DYEL

You're literally FORCED to do barbell press once you get strong at vertical presses
>>
>>74230530
>good luck getting 100lbs+ dumbbells into shoulder press position
Use both hands.
>>
File: 1588275265184.png (326 KB, 313x489)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
>>74230530
I switched from Barbell to dumbbells should I switch back to barbell?
>>
>>74228506
This is the go-to exercise anyone looking for esthetic build. There's a reason why poser zoomers and cable gays hate and avoid it.
>>
>>74230574
I'm doing strict military press before anything else. I feel it in my tendons, everything else feels like a fast route to nowhere.
>>
>>74230543
Clean it off the floor I do that for military press
>>
>>74228506
What's better for aesthetics, doing these heavy 3x5 or lower weight 3x12? Does it matter with OHP
>>
>>74230570
Like I said, Dumbbell Shoulder Press is actually BETTER than Barbell Shoulder Press

BUT, its much riskier to get the Dumbbells into position once you get decently strong. Therefore you're FORCED to do barbell ohp.

Dumbbell Presses for CHEST is different, in that the risk level for getting DB's into position for a Chest press is a lot less than it is getting them into position for a Shoulder press

I actually still do DB Shoulder Press, but I do them after BB OHP, because the shoulders are in an exhausted state at that point, and I don't need to use much weight on the Dumbbells.
>>
>>74228784
What do they substitute it for?
>>
>>74230628
>>74230570
TDLR: What im saying is Dumbbells for Chest is fine as "Main lift" replacement for Benching, but Dumbbells for Shoulders is NOT a good idea as a "Main lift" replacement for OHP when it comes to long-term progression.

But what am I bothering to even type this, every single person in this thread will have quit lifting within the next 6 months lol

Only autistic retards like myself last in the gym, 21 years lifting for me and still going as hard as ever, you normalfags will all quit soon. So I guess you can do whatever, since you wont be here long-term anyway, you dont need to worry about long-term plan for your training since you'll all be out of the gym and returning to non-lifters
>>
>>74230628
>its much riskier to get the Dumbbells into position once you get decently strong. Therefore you're FORCED to do barbell ohp.
have you tried jerking a heavy dumbbell with both arms and then doing single arm presses
>>
>>74230643
Yeah I actually did do this for some time, but what happens is you are no longer really doing what you want to do, you're doing some strong-man single arm full body vertical press movement

These are actually really good, but its not really a bodybuilder movement, its a full body explosive movement

They're actually top tier, but we're wanting to just do a strict OHP here, and that style of vertical pressing is not really a strict shoulder press, its more of a vertical full body single arm push press
>>
File: 1000029398.jpg (182 KB, 1080x1000)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>74228506
sometimes when I do this I get some pain in my joint, what am I doing wrong? help a bro out
>>
>>74230628
Do you think it would be wise to do OHP 3 times a week? Just so I could progress on it faster. Also what's your opinion on accessories like lat raises? I do them occasionally but I fear it would take gains away from the main lift.
t. Sub 1pl8 DYEL
>>
>>74230696
More frequency doesn't mean better if you're not improving. Lateral raises wont "take away" from OHP. They will help your OHP. Lateral raises will help grow the medial deltoids and bigger medial deltoids will improve your OHP.
>>
>>74230654
>vertical full body single arm push press
That's the stuff.
Heavy OHPs will turn into olympic style presses or push presses anyway, might as well make it intentional.
>>
>>74230876
Nah, you can safely and comfortable get to a 2 plate (100kg/225lbs) for reps strict overhead press without cheating on it as a life-long goal.

Its equivalent to a 6 plate deadlift for reps.
>>
>>74230822
Thank you sensei.
>>
>>74230332
He could probably go heavier with Zerchers
>>
>>74230893
I don't know about you, but I weight 2 plates myself, and a bodyweight ohp isn't a life long goal (2.5x bw deadlift would be more impressive), it just takes some lift-specific training.
But even if you're big, good luck not 'cheating' on it somehow past 100kgs, it's a feature of the lift, the sticking point has terrible leverage.
It becomes frustrating, while with a push press or using olympic press form, you can still progress.
>>
>>74230916
He probably could, but not for long, because Zerchs suck and are no fun to do.
He should just buy a fucking rack, you can still do front squats if you like them if you have a rack, it's not like you have to do back squats only, or you could even do both.
>>
>>74230332
i don't really care for legs these days
only squat to xeep balance
might run madcow in sept idc
>>
File: DYEL73.jpg (173 KB, 994x675)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>74230628

That is alot of advice from someone who looks like this
>>
>>74228506
OHP picked up from the floor is so much fun bros
>>
Is it cheating if the first rep you do to get the bar up is bordering a push-press, because fuck me is it hard to get it up strict. Doing the reps afterwards (below chin minimum) is fine it's just the first rep

iirc mark rippetoe says something about bending your hip forward and then quickly back to get some bounce on your reps

thoughts?
>>
>>74231360
Ok, for that I REALLY prefer the push press.
Your OHP should be a warm-up for your power clean, while your push press should be pretty close, like if you're doing triples you can power clean it, and if you're doing singles you have to do a full clean, but you can still pick it up and it's challenging, that's good training.
>>
>>74228546
Bench hits front delts more ohp is all side delts
>>
>>74228586
>Also you absolutely did start lifting to impress women and/or physically dominate other men.
Doesn’t everybody?
>>
File: 1714952079001.webm (3.89 MB, 1080x1920)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB WEBM
I love pressing heavy weight over my head bros
>>
>>74231444
>mark rippetoe
forget anything he says about anything. look at how andrew richard built his press. do that
>>
>>74230665
Might be your hand position. I used to get pain in my shoulder joint until I narrowed my grip.
>>
>>74232217
thanks, i will be thinking of your post next time.
>>
>>74231938
im a strict ohp kinda fag but i recently tried to push press with a lighter weight and i think i almost killed myself, how do you keep tension in your glutes and abs while doing it? am i retarded?
>>
>>74231944
yeah? and what's your authority on the subject?
>>
>>74231814
OHP trains the front delt more than the side
>>
>>74228701
That's just not correct.
>>
>>74230177
But OHP press is a good exercise for shoulders right? Or is there some secret exercise that is the “core” workout for shoulders. For example bench being the core lift for chest, squats for legs, curls for biceps.
>>
>>74233267
practice, also train lifts that build up your weaknesses. In your case front squats would hit glutes and abs very well.
>>
>>74233658
>is there some secret exercise that is the “core” workout for shoulders
imo it's single arm dumbbell ohp. don't tell anybody

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.