[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Untitleddesign_1.jpg (82 KB, 800x800)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
I'm doing Starting Strength. I was missing reps even early on but I would always get more reps the next workout. I might do 5, 4, 4 reps one workout then 5, 5, 5 the next workout, then increase the weight, again get 5, 4, 4, and then 5, 5, 5. I didn't think anything of this, for as long as I kept getting stronger every workout. But then after a while I started getting a slower increase in strength, I might get just one more rep in total compared to the previous workout. Then I completely stalled, exact same weight and reps several workouts in a row. I think I first saw in a post on here someone saying that you should add the missed reps after the worksets in extra sets. Then I've also seen Mark Rippetoe talk about this on youtube. What are your thoughts? Should you do this when you start stalling? Maybe you could stall because you have eaten too little too, and maybe then you should try to eat more before you try this? Or maybe you should increase the rest times before you try this? In my case I increased the rest times but it didn't help much, but I have been eating too little lately so maybe that's why I'm stalling.
>>
>>74605459
>what is paragraphs
>>
>>74605570
go back
>>
>>74605603
cope
>>
>>74605459
thats basically the point where you have to start tracking your calories/macros more closely, as well as your sleep and rest periods
i hit a similar plateau twice. first time i had to start counting calories, wasnt eating enough. second time was my during my 2nd year lifting, i started lifting too much. was in the gym 6 days a week, 1 day rest. wasnt enough, dropped it down to 4-5 days a week, 2 rest days and that fixed it
gotta find out where youre lacking
>>
>>74605759
You didn't even fucking address the main point which was about adding missed reps after the worksets. I have been tracking my calories from day 1. However after steadily gaining weight for 3 months my stomach started protesting and then I took a break from bulking, even stopped counting calories for a while I think. Not sure whether I started stalling before or after this. My bodyweight started plateauing before this though, while I was still eating a ton, and increasing my calories every week.
>>
>>74606084
He did answer your question: you just didn't get the answer you wanted.

The other answer you don't want is that you aren't resting long enough between sets.

The only exercise where the approach you outlined is worthwhile is the press, since it's so technique dependent and hence easy to fall short where you actually do have the fundamental strength, and beneficial to practice form more. Otherwise, you're either adding too much volume for a novice program, or doing an extra set of 1 rep which is absolutely useless as a growth stimulus. If you can do 2x5, 1x4 of 315lbs, then adding on 1x1 @ 315lbs will do fuck all as a stimulus, and adding on 1x5 is massively upping the volume in a way that will fuck your recovery.
>>
>>74606415
fuck off retard
>>
>>74605459
You're supposed to drop the weight by around 12% and work your way back up if you miss a rep. For example if I fail 150lb 3x5 OHP then I go down to 135, and my next workout is 140. This helps your body catch back up and improves your form as well.
>>
>>74606819
When you eventually look back on a life where you have failed at everything you ever attempted, remember this: it is entirely your fault.
>>
File: 1000016884.jpg (57 KB, 1022x547)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>74605603
>dumb zoomer can't tell the difference between paragraph breaks and leddit spacing
>>
>>74607538
It’s honestly weird why people are like this. He makes a thread but doesn’t actually want anything else but agreement. Your suggestions weren’t even outrageous or anything.
>>
>>74605459
>Should you do this when you start stalling?
No you should switch program.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.