[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Just watched 30 minutes youtube video to conclude whether should I buy* cushioned running shoes which resulted in "well, it depends".
christ...

My initial understanding was that they are good for joints since the soft sole absorbs all the impact. Now I simply don't know.

*actually already bought. Not comfortable for walking since since the sole is so soft it throws me out of balance but running was ok.
>>
File: ff.png (1.29 MB, 962x636)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB PNG
Bought new balance one of the fresh foam sole series and they are maybe even too soft. Already worn them so can't return but looking for what my next choice will be.
>>
Running = soft
Walking = barefoot shoes.

Learning barefoot running as an adult isn't worth it, joints will only get worse with age and ain't worth the time and effort for benefits.
>>
>>74760936
Is 28 yo an adult tho?
>>
>>74760945
28yo is basically your athletic prime
Which means it's only downhill from here
>>
>>74760902
It doesn't matter which shoe you use. Humans have evolved to run in nature without shoes. If you run enough your joints and cartilage will get stronger as the body adapts to the stress.
>>
File: 1514216435700.jpg (8 KB, 225x224)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Which running shoes give me the biggest height increase?
>>
Recovering fat fuck.
I've been running in barefoot shoes for a while and I've noticed that the symptoms of my plantar fasciitis have mostly gone away now that I'm using shorter strides and mid-foot striking.

Now training for a half-marathon, I'm hearing horror stories about how longer distances can damage the joints. I'm thinking of getting a pair of Altras, but curious to hear if those are comparable to something like vivobarefoot in people's experience. Will they still guide me into proper form, or will that cushion let me get back into heel-striking?
>>
>>74760902
>My initial understanding was that they are good for joints since the soft sole absorbs all the impact.
they literally don't do that.
They cushion the feet, but the impact goes up into your body so your knees and hips take a beating.
>>
>>74760972
Adizero prime X 2

5cm of elevation for short kings
>>
>>74762619
Excessive long distance running isn't great for you, but barefoot shoes are fine, you feet and legs are literally designed for the impact of running, starting with the arch of your foot it's essentially a series of springs. Just don't heel strike like a mongoloid.
And a half-marathon is not long distance.
>>
which brand makes shoes for duck feet

not nike it's all narrow af
>>
>>74762796
Adidas is even narrower, but both they and Nike make some models in a wide variant. Check their sites. They're not the only ones who do it obviously, but only ones I've tried. I'm somewhat inbetween though, so they ended up a bit too wide for me.
>>
>>74760902
Just go with the Brooks Ghost if you’re a neutral runner.
>>
>>74760945
Do whatever you want idiot
>>
Is there a way to make soles a little firmer, like using a hard insole?
>>
>>74762796
just wear "barefoot" shoes then it doesn't matter if you're duckfooted because they don't try to force your foot one way or another.
>>
File: knuckles.gif (6 KB, 200x200)
6 KB
6 KB GIF
>>74762849
listen to this guy, but do your own research if you care
https://runrepeat.com/brooks-ghost-15
>>
>>74760902
Barefoot running is fine if you are running on a soft surface like sand or soil. But if you are running on concrete or asphalt or even a compacted rocky trail it's going to injure you. The human body may have evolved to run barefoot but it did not evolve to run on concrete.
>>
>>74763819
You're retarded, hard surfaces are ideal for (barefoot) running. Soft surfaces sap your energy and hide potential hazards.
Humans absolutely evolved to run on hard surfaces, most of nature is not soft lawns and sandy beaches, it's hard pack.
>>
>>74764009
Hard pack is still softer then concrete
>>
>>74760936
How do I learn it though? Just add distance over time and walk inbetween running or
>>
>>74760902
>cushioned running shoes
enjoy your shin splints lol
>>
>>74763819
I'm tired of this meme. I'm so fucking tired of it being repeated.
You know nothing about barefoot running yet like a retarded bot you keep repeating this falsity.
>>
>>74760902
finding a pair of shoes to buy is exhausting.
>>
>>74760902
Nothing about shoes is real in the sense that any of those people have even a rudimentary understanding of rheumatology, kinesiology or even physics of striking. All they are doing is passing along marketing that convinced them. There's not even really performance labs or anything. One group makes a shoe if people like it everyone apes the design. Someone tweaks it people like that more everyone apes that. You can run a marathon in crocs if you want to.
>>
>>74764031
I don't think solid dirt is meaningfully deforming when you step on it, I can't see it being any different to concrete in effect
>>
>>74764612
You're a fucking dullard.

"Mathematically, concrete absorbs 10 times less energy than asphalt at 20°C. With a typical runner of 70kg landing with about 3-5x body weight of force, neither concrete nor asphalt compress any measurable amount."
>>
>>74764031
it is, but it's irrelevant, because dealing with hard flat surfaces is extremely easy for human foot.
>>74764643
mathemtically, absolutely, practically, it makes no difference because hard surfaces are easy mode barefoot.
This trope of being raised on smashing your feet into the ground and acting like there is no way to avoid that, and then building your life around, "well clearly we need to live in a different environment that is alien to cope with us not using our feet properly" is so tiresome.
>>
Try the Altra Escalante racers
>>
>>74760902
>Just watched 30 minutes youtube video to conclude whether should I buy* cushioned running shoes which resulted in "well, it depends".
>christ...

yes unfortunately that is accurate. almost every person is different when it comes to running shoes because everyones gait is a little different. there are some mainstream shoes like brooks ad hoka which are usually pretty good universally but other ones can get too specific. the best way to find out is to actually go to a running shoe store where they have the device that can measure your gait
>>
You don't want padding. Go minimalist zero drop and wide toe box.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.