[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1720994767818624.png (58 KB, 794x668)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
Should I take a week off?
I've been lifting 4 days a week for 7 weeks now (I'm a beginner) and I'm experiencing a few things :
General fatigue/completely drained after my workout
Waking up at night and being unable to fall asleep
Lifts are a still progressing but I think at a slower rate
Generally feeling more anxious throughout the day (could be poor sleep)

I'm scared to take a week off though because I'm worried ill lose progress
>>
>>74780509
>Waking up at night and being unable to fall asleep
Waking up at night and being unable to fall BACK to sleep
I initially fall asleep just fine due to exhaustion
>>
File: cs2.0.jpg (96 KB, 1080x1342)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
Is it possible you changed your diet recently?
>>
>>74780554
No
>>
>>74780509
I would recommend slightly lowering intensity or volume in your sessions rather than taking a week off, it's better to stay consistent
you should make sure you're doing the basics right first though, make sure you're eating enough and sleeping enough. unless your sessions are really intense you probably shouldn't be burning out on a 4days/week schedule as a beginner
>>
>>74780509
>7 weeks now
sounds right, off or deload.
>>
>>74780568
>make sure you're eating enough and sleeping enough
I'm eating enough, just the sleeping part is fucked at the moment because my body keeps waking me up and refusing to sleep
>>
>>74780575
How much progress will I lose in a week
>>
>>74780578
Yeah sleep is why I'm considering retiring from /fit/ness. Every time I work out hard I'm unable to sleep
>>
>>74780604
None.

You don't stop you just go ~30% lighter for a week then restart your progression from there.
>>
Bump
>>
>>74780568
>unless your sessions are really intense you probably shouldn't be burning out on a 4days/week schedule as a beginner
Yeah, there's no real reason for this guy to be getting fatigued after only 7 weeks as a novice. He probably is under-recovering and not eating/sleeping enough
>>
>>74781273
I'm eating at a 300 calorie surplus and I was sleeping 8+hours per night
The past week I've been averaging 6 hours a night due to the recent sleep disturbances
>>
>>74781290
How much did your "weekly average weight" change from last week to this week? It's possible you need to readjust your goals for caloric intake.

Sleep disturbances is a sign of overtraining/under-recovering but overtraining usually take several months of daily intense 1.5-2hr workouts to reach which I wouldn't expect for a novice to attempt. Do you do any endurance training? If your run 50+ miles a week then I see overtraining as a bigger possibility.
>>
>>74781587
>overtraining/under-recovering but overtraining usually take several months of daily intense 1.5-2hr workouts to reach which I wouldn't expect for a novice to attempt
It depends. I used to train to failure on every set whilst cutting as a beginner doing 3x per week and developed symptoms similar to OP within 2 months
>>
>>74780509
Eat more
>>
>>74780509
Take a rest week every 6-10 weeks if you struggle with recovery. For beginners its tendons and joints being overworked due to imperfect technique, lacking muscle activation. If you've been working very hard you will even make gains during the rest week when supercompensation sets in. You def won't lose any gains in just a single week and as a beginner probably not even weight on the bar.

It all depends on the intensity of your training. I start a new training block every 2-3 months with 6-10 rest days between for complete recovery and switch main lifts.
>>
>>74780509
Waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to fall back asleep is generally a pretty strong indicator of central nervous system fatigue.
Reduce volume and reps for a week, or just take some time off. A deload does not need to last a full week. 3-4 days off is long enough
>>
File: Mike.jpg (51 KB, 1000x563)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>74781771
> I used to train to failure on every set whilst cutting as a beginner doing 3x per week
Yup. Should've added four rest days between each workout
>>
>>74780509
Post routine.
>>
>>74781290
Are you weighing all your food on a scale, or just guessing the calories?
>>
>>74783766
>central nervous system
but isn't that just your soul? can't you use free will to be harder?
>>
>>74784094
Not weighing

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.