[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_3889.jpg (158 KB, 1232x928)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
More reps with less weight doesn’t mean you’ll gain or retain muscle

During covid lockdowns I was limited to a pair of 20kg dumbbells

I was dumbbell bench pressing that for like 50 rep sets

During that time my bodyfat stayed the same, but my scale weight actually dropped by about 20 pounds over 8 months of no gym, let me repeat myself… bodyfat stayed the same….but my scale weight fell by 20lbs… I lost 20lb of lean mass during that 8 months or so period of no gym besides dumbbells at home

Now it’s been like 2 years since I’ve been back at the gym and I’m back to dumbbell bench pressing 50kg dumbbells for 8-12 reps and I’ve retained that 20lbs of lost lean mass

50kg for 12 is 600kg workload tonnage for a set

20kg for 50 is 1000kg workload tonnage for the set

The 1000kg tonnage was incapable of retaining my lean mass

This proves without a reasonable doubt that you have to actually be lifting heavy weights to gain and retain muscle, you can’t go log by and increase reps / tonnage

You could say I lost size overall because I had no gym access for 8 months and it wasn’t just chest, shoulder and tricep mass that went down, yes that’s true, but the point is all those muscles reduced in size too despite me still giving them loads of tonnage
>>
By the way that calculation is for each arm, not total

At home dumbbells bench with 20kg in each hand for sets for 50 reps = 2000kg tonnage

At gym dumbbell bench with 50kg in each hand for sets of 12 = 1200kg tonnage

Was not able to retain the muscle mass dumbell bench press at home with such a light weight compared to my gym weights despite doing way more reps and tonnage

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.