[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 658465623456.png (210 KB, 700x785)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
Pls help, my training bro and I are thinking about breaking up over this
>OUR SPLIT
push, run, pull, walk (times infinity, no days off)
>MY SIDE (what we've been doing and seeing good results with)
straight sets on all compounds, 2 to 3 progressive warmups (10-15 reps) followed by 3 heavy working sets (6-8 reps) with the last set rep'd out
increase weight 5lbs every 3rd session (kinda like SS rippletits) for upper body and 10 lbs every 3rd session on squat and DL
supplement with a variety of accessory lifts after the compounds, for a total of 2 or 3 exercises per muscle group
>HIS SIDE (what we did yesterday which felt like a good workout)
for compounds, 2 to 3 progressive warmup sets, 1 heavy working set, then 2 regressive sets rep'd out (pyramid up then down)
only increase weight once the working set exceeds 12 reps
almost zero accessory lifts
I think his method will make us really good at compounds but will pose a risk of imbalance (not aesthetic but functional like tightness or weakness)
I think my method will get us jacked faster because we will be lifting more weight more quickly, and I think my method will keep our posture and alignment better with more variety
for reference we have both only been out of the DYEL cave for 2 months, he's a former stronk manlet and I'm a former ottermode lanklet
we are both geezers with dad bods but we are improooooving
WILL SOMEONE WHO HAS MADE IT PLEASE TELL ME WHICH ONE OF US IS CORRECT?
>>
>>75349755
YOU HAVE TO SWIM IT
>>
I normally pyramid up, but thinking reversing that to try something different. SO first set will be the heaviest, 3rd set will be the lightest. Im not sure what the science says, but what im currently doing isnt working.
>>
>>75349785
>first set heaviest
based retard
>>
>>75349804
I do that sometimes, but warm up first. It's best to train for max strength before you're used up.
>>
>>75349785
>>75349885
You can do something similar. Like if you can normally do 10 reps with the 40kg dbs, just before you do that do a set of 5 with the 45s or the 50s. After that you will probably hit 12 reps when you drop down to the 40s.
>>
>>75349907
what is the point of doing it in that order? like why not do the 40s for 10 and then for the next set just do more reps with the 45s?
>>
>>75349755
I like 6-8 for anything but legs taking weight off to keep it there and going to failure or real close to warrant a 1 day rest, I got a good but of muscle if I posted progress you'd be impressed. I'm barely over a year and close to 315 1rm from below 185.
>>
>>75350327
You can't lift as heavy if you're acutely fatigued, so you can't train for strength as well.
>>
>>75350495
progressive warmup sets don't make you "acutely fatigued" though
>>
>>75350327
>>75350495
Nah. The idea is that you prep the cns with a few reps of the heavier weights, so when you lift with your usual 10rm it "feels lighter" than usual. This is also research I read about maybe 20 years ago and may be utterly superceded in le söyence by now, but still works for me.
>>
File: 568945673677.jpg (31 KB, 514x600)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>75352668
what is the point of making the usual 10RM "feel lighter" if the goal of lifting the weight is to increase strength and size?

I get the concept
>batter swings 3 bats in the on deck circle
>shooter practices offhand with heavy barrel
>hiker wears ankle weights

but those aren't attempting to achieve the same thing as lifting weights for development
>>
>>75349755
Here's what I do:
Start with a weight I fail on in the 6-10 rep range for working sets. Usually the reps will decrease by 1 or 2 on each subsequent set.
Lower the weight when I dip below 6 reps, and raise the weight when I can do more than 10.
Go to failure, or at least very close on every single set.
Lead up to working sets on compound lifts with just 1 warmup set. No warmups on isolations.
And add a rep or weight to every single set of every single excercise, every single session (sessions repeat 2 or 3 times per week).
Rep range differs slightly depending on the excercise, but my methods are the same for everything.
>>
File: 6721544654473186.png (679 KB, 610x862)
679 KB
679 KB PNG
>>75353255
can you describe your results before and after adopting this method?
>>
>>75349755
Why would you intentionally cut off the most productive part of the set by stopping before failure?
>>
>>75349755
This is honestly just hair splitting.
Why do feel the need to have the same exact workouts?
This behaviour reminds me of women feeling the need to use public washrooms in groups.
>>
>>75354169
I went from 150lbs to 165lbs at about the same BF% in less than 6 months.
My lifts, from when I started to currently:
>bench press: 135 -> 230
>OHP: 90 -> 130
>DL: 165 -> 310
>>
>>75353085
Sigh.
Let's say you can normally do 40x10.
You first do 45x5.
You can now do 40x12, or, 42 x 10 or whatever.
You have increased CNS activation, you can lift more weight. More weight means more volume. More volume means big Grug muscle get bigger.
Soon Grug lifting 45x10.
Grug understand now?
>>
Don't go for runs every fourth workout you're killing your gains. Just do elliptical every seventh workout
>>
>>75355449
Do the elliptical backwards on months with five Fridays or else the gains goblin that lives under the treadmills will take your gains to the manlet pit and distribute them amongst the wretched 5' 12" souls therein.
>>
>>75355449
>>75355533
Don't do cardio at all, retards. If you wanna lose BF, just eat less. Do a few sets of fork putdowns.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.