[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: KxdOZ5G.jpg (1.2 MB, 3475x2400)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
backlight needers edition (I need one)

previous: >>99956088
>>
You don't need a backlight.
>>
https://vortexgear.store/products/model-m-ssk-wktkl
Hmmm
>>
>>100038666
how tf am I supposed to hunt-and-peck in pitch darkness without a backlight
>>
File: IMG_20240224_163431652.jpg (1.94 MB, 3876x1872)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
nth for morandis
>>
>>100039085
was just yesterday watching the taeha types video where he builds a mode loop tkl with morandis and doesn't like the board, then takes them out and puts mx blacks in and says "now this sounds like a $600 board", blames all the problems on the morandis

and he was right they kinda sounded like shit in the video

I have 10 morandis I got to test them out, don't have a strong opinion, not a linear guy
>>
>>100039172
They sounded pretty nice in the dactyl to me. Not like I'm all that picky about how a switch sounds anyway. Feel, smoothness, spring weight, etc. all come before sound.
>>
I feel like I'm going insane listening to all these videos of $700 keyboards and such. Why would you spend $500 extra just to make sure your keyboard doesn't sound "hollow" anywhere? A keyboard IS hollow, that's how it's supposed to sound, I don't fucking get it
>>
File: keychronC1.png (263 KB, 1261x769)
263 KB
263 KB PNG
My cheap chinese mechanical keyboard has fucked it self, so convince me to or not to buy pic related. Only thing I'm particularly hesitant about is Linux support, but apparently that's been fixed in 5.19
Price is AUD.
>>
>>100039510
pay 10 more and get QMK support?
>>
>>100038927
>gasket mount fr4 plate foam-stuffed plastic board with a meme-cut memeswap pcb. no plate options btw

I hate almost everything about this but for just $150 there might be some virtues. It's attractive (assuming it doesn't look worse when it actually arrives...) and probably sounds ok with the foam removed since it's a nice big TKL.

You buy that with blues, blacks, or clears—maybe g pro yellows—use for a few months to break in, take the switches out, lube and spring swap, probably an ok keyboard for under $200, I can see it being a good option for someone
>>
>>100039510
is there any chance I can convince you to spend maybe $200-300 more to get something that excites me
>>
File: Model_M_Plastic_-01.png (1.81 MB, 1250x1250)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB PNG
>>100038927
>>100040419
>One stage feet
Why is this a feature.
>>
File: 20240403_140653.jpg (1008 KB, 3562x1736)
1008 KB
1008 KB JPG
>>100038515
Tips for getting the most out of a smaller layout? I want to experiment with ditching the num row and side keys to reduce reach but I'm struggling thinking of ways to handle the layout.
>>
>>100041903
You could just map your board to the default corne layout. I don't see the point going smaller.
>>
I have been using Keychron Q8 with holy pandas(krytox 205) for years and thought this is my endgame. Then I tried low-profile switches(cowberry, seems like their own version of red switches) on Nuphy Air75 V2 and honestly it's way more comfortable and just looks better. I don't know why layout designed for comfort like Alice and one of the most popular switches on the market feel so much worse to type on. Probably same reason why many people prefer MacBook keyboard or Logitech mx keys to standard mechanical keyboards. Probably it comes to personal preference in the end but sometimes it's worth trying something less niche.
>>
https://www.theverge.com/23929303/hhkb-studio-review-trackpoint-mx-switches
lmao the new HHKB doesn't have Topre switches anymore.
not even Cherry switches. just Kailh.
what a time to be alive.
>>
>>100042254
>HHKB doesn't have Topre switches anymore.
>deletes HHKB off of wishlist
wew, $350 saved
>>
>>100038515
De-soldered 7 switches in order to replace rattling shitty stabs on my GH60 and ripped off another few solder pads. My keyboards already look like frankenstein with random wires coming from switch to switch in different spots underneath. But at least no more rattling stabs...
>>
>>100041903
is that commercially available or a DIY?
>>
I'm going back to my cheap Chinese board
>>
File: 20230630_155835.jpg (1.23 MB, 2560x1440)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
I needed south facing ninja backlight.
Then I needed better font.
Then the better font caps are thinner and sound worse.

Where does it end?
>>
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006085743571.html
You can assemble your own HHKB with QMK support using topre electro-capacitive rubberdomes.
>>
>>100044054
when you stop giving a shit and start using the computer for something other than wasting money
yes, really
>>
File: 20240106_084943.jpg (67 KB, 1079x1029)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>100044267
I then bought switches that had LED defusers.
Wasn't happy with the key feel so swapped nearly 100 switch top housings. Good times.
>>
File: keychronC3pro.png (273 KB, 1232x524)
273 KB
273 KB PNG
>>100039920
C1 pro is like $130.
I found this though, what do you think of this model?
Also what is the advantage of gasket keyboard? I thought keyboards flexing is a bad thing
>>
I noticed that my moonlander wired keyboard emits high levels of EMF radiation, significantly higher than the wireless logitech mx mini keyboard

in fact that logitech mx mini keyboard measures the lowest emf radiation I have ever measured on any keyboard, wired or wireless

it's surprising how wireless keyboard can emmit lower levels of emf radiation, especially when not directly inbetween the line of the keyboard and the USB receiver

it means that for a "conspiracy" and "tin foil hat" guy like me, the choice of wired vs wireless is not that self evident

also, I noticed that typing on a laptop keyboard is so much more tiring on my hands than on that mx mechanical mini keyboard (it has brown caps)

why is that? any thoughts?
>>
File: K70CHAD.jpg (234 KB, 1440x957)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
STEP ASIDE, KIDDOS
THE KING IS HERE TO STAY
>>
From an ergonomics point of view, the numpad increases the distance to the mouse so much that many are inclined take a compact keyboard without numpad.

But maybe I should just train myself to use the mouse with my left hand

Anyone tried this logic?
>>
>>100045695
Thats like 30cm travel to your mouse bruh
>>
>>100041903
This is what mental illness looks like.
>>
>>100045744
why is moving your hand an extra 5 centimeters unergonimic in your point of view?
do you think using a computer mouse, which are mainly designed for right handed usage, while being right handed person yourself, is more ergonomic than some arbitrary number of centimeters you have to move your hand?
is your plan to stop moving altogether and sprout fucking roots into your 20% keyboard?
I can't for the life of me understand how you people are using your toys that the numpad is such a hinderance to you all
>>
>>100046053
>using mouse left handedly*
>>
>>100046053
>do you think using a computer mouse, which are mainly designed for right handed usage, while being right handed person yourself, is more ergonomic than some arbitrary number of centimeters you have to move your hand?

Potentially
>>
>>100045695
>this bottom row
It was a cringe even in 2018.
>>
>>100045669
troubling. I really need to get one of those meters.

I've seen people say full aluminum cases are worse for wireless connectivity than plastic; I wonder if full alu with a thick aluminum (or brass) plate would help with emf reduction, or if the pcb alone is what counts
>>
>>100045744
just get a southpaw fullsize
https://keyboardtreehouse.com/collections/bundle/products/ae-x-impulse-boards-kangaroo
>>
File: IMG_9285.jpg (776 KB, 1284x1238)
776 KB
776 KB JPG
Does anyone know if these DEC boards are rubber dome?
EBay 404854988089
>>
>>100048727
Looks like these, especially the lock light cutouts.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Fujitsu_Peerless
>>
What are some cute and funny, in stock non GB boards I can buy right NOW
>>
NuPhy Air75 vs Logitech MX Mechanical Mini

thoughts? I wanted the logitech as it is pretty sweet but this guy on youtube says the key caps will look like trash after some months because of low grade plastic that will shine etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1sea8WTbF8
>>
I know nothing of mechs, and see a bunch of words that aren't well explained, so I want to know what's a meme and what isn't. I went on amazon and then set minimum price to $100 and chose the first result (corsair k70) so that I'm guaranteed to get a bunch of PR shit in the page. So this is what I saw
>Play and type with pre-lubricated CORSAIR MLX Red linear mechanical switches, for smooth, responsive keystrokes
So what's the deal with lubrication? am I actually expected t lubricate individual keys? how long should I expect this to last before I need to lubricate it myself? how long does this take to do, what kind of lubrication? what cost?
>Resilient ABS double-shot keycaps won’t crack under pressure.
How big of a concern is this really? I've had the same membrane keyboard for over a decade and nothing has broken, why would you expect this to be a big feature when talking about a piece of plastic?

Surprisingly, there wasn't more ambiguous babble from corsair, specially for a rgb product. So I went to the second product which was an 8bitdo pro c64 keyboard, which looks nice but has more stuff that I don't know if it matters in practice.
>alluminium plate
why should I care about this? what are the options? and what do most keyboards use?
>dye-sub abs
is this just about how the caps are colored? does this actually matter? does the material actually matter? I've never seen a key break.
>kailh box switches
what's this supposed to mean to me, and why don't these advertisements show something like how many dbs of noise these things are expected to make when pressed?
>top mount style
yeah, no idea what this means at all
>hot swapable pcb
I'm guessing this means the switches don't require de/soldering for replacement. But are the boards themselves any special? like do people buy certain keyboards specifically for the boards?
>>
>>100049730
Third one was a RK Royal, also looks nice but it cuts some keys I want to keep. It has a display which I doubt can do anything useful.
>hot swap, 3 or 5 pin switch
so what's the deal with the number of pins? is there any actual advantage for one over the other? or are they just there to fragment more the market?
>cherry profile
profile? is this supposed to have a shorter travel than normal? and if so why doesn't it outright say so? I also don't remember this being disclosed with the other 2 keyboards, what gives?
>per-key slotted pcba gasket
and what is this supposed to mean? and what are the options for this stuff, and the drawbacks for (not) using it?
>pale green switch
is the color really important? if there's stuff hat depends on the color, why isn't it explained in the page? there's certainly space for more information
>>
>>100049543
also this guy says its trash compared to keychron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nExo8Q84VE
>>
is this a right place to ask for a recommendation or are you gonna be faggots about it
>>
Are there any other sources for full metal cnc keys
like this https://awekeys.com/products/full-metal-keycap-set-base-kit

these guys only sell with 10key and surely it would be like $20 cheaper without them since I dont need them.
I'm tryna pair a very heavy key with a very heavy spring in a very short 1mm pretravel switch to make something truly awful i assume.
>>
>>100050255
I don't recommend metal keycaps. They effectively shave the stem of the switch so you'll never be able to use any other cap in the future, and if you take it off to clean your keyboard or whatever there's a good chance cap will sit too loosely when you go to remount it. Especially noticeable on larger keys.
>>
>>100050326
its fine because its going on a hotswap switch board, so worst case I can glue the caps on with low strength adhesive and I would have to pull the key with the switch and separate them off board
>>
>>100049730
>>100049771

-Don't worry about the lubrication.
-Don't worry about the plate material
-Yes, dye sub is the way the caps are colored, it is usually durable. ABS is fine, even if it will shine faster than PBT
-Kailh box switches are just a type of switch. If you don't know much about switches, then it does not mean much to you yet.
-Hot-swappable pcb is just that. It does not imply anything else.
-The difference between 5 and 3 pin switches is only relevant on soldered boards
-Cherry profile is the profile of the caps, it does not affect travel
>>
>>100050149
yes and yes
>>
>>100045822
wtf I love mental illness now
>>
>>100050480
thank you
>>
>>100050149
so far I've mostly been a faggot about it but I might change

>>100048940
I'd like to answer you but I'd just be doing free advertising for boards I haven't tried

neo80 is doing an ongoing preorder right now so you're not waiting nearly as long as for a GB. I bought one so I'll see how it is when it arrives, hopefully not awful

alexotos maintains a vendor list with most of the notable keyboard nerd vendors, you can just go through the ones in your country and see what's in stock
https://www.alexotos.com/keyboard-vendor-list/
>>
>>100050480
> it does not affect travel
caps make travel feel different, it's irrational/wrong but imo real
>>
>>100049730
>what's the deal with lubrication? am I actually expected t lubricate individual keys?
Lubrication makes them smoother. If you don't want to get into that you can get switches that are already lubed, which are almost as good and probably good enough.

>How big of a concern is [cracking] really
Depends on you. Never was an issue for me, but my brother who rests his feet on his keyboard accidentally sometimes has broken multiple keycaps.

>why should I care about [aluminum plate]?
adds rigidity to the feel and generally sounds better, also helps align the switches so none of them are misaligned (looks funny)

>dye-sub abs?
Method for printing legends on the keycaps. Better than printed legends. The type of plastic does affect how the caps sound and feel and how they wear.

>what's kailh box switches supposed to mean
you can look up the particular kailh switches to find videos about them. to some extent this is very important because it tells you what kind of key it is. If you don't want clicky keys, it would be a bad idea to accidentally buy a board with clicky switches. But there are subtleties which wouldn't mean anything to you unless you had tried these switches and compared them to others.

I'd continue replying but I have to leave and have no more time. Good luck
>>
File: drunkdeersleepm.jpg (187 KB, 800x600)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
yall like my china keeb

DrunkDeer G60
>>
>>100038515
What switch to get when you're a buckling spring fanatic? I need a keyboard to take to the office occasionally, and I'm not lugging my model m around for that
>>
>>100054382
Box pale blues are about as close as you can get to the force curve of buckling springs in an MX switch.
>>
>>100039071
by using white keycaps with black legends, like a non-homo
>>
>>100054426
Hmm interdasting, I have box whites on my gaymen pc's keyboard. They're pleasantly clicky but worlds apart from my model m. How do the pale blues compare to box pink, box jade and box navy? All of those have been recommended to me before as "like box whites but heavier" (which is the primary descriptor I see for box pale blue)
>>
>>100054488
Pale blues are basically whites with a heavier spring. Box pink is supposed to be in between white/pale blue and navy/jade, but I've read before that it's barely more tactile than the former two, opinions vary I guess. Navy/jade will be way more tactile than buckling springs.
>>
>>100054382
topre. what's the point in trying to imitate buckling spring when you know you can't have the real thing? find something quiet that you like.
>>
>>100054552
I'll admit I haven't tried topre, but I detest linears and the tactiles I've tried (which are cherry brown and clear) even more than rubber domes. I'd be willing to go with a tactile switch, but only if the bump is very sharp and actually coincides with the actuation point. That long round bump thing is absolutely not for me
>>
>>100054670
A tactile event and actuation perfectly coinciding is actually pretty rare. Buckling springs are one of the very few switches that do it. On most other switches actuation happens right after the bump, and this difference between the bump and actuation is usually unnoticeable.
>>
>>100054712
>actually unnoticeable
maybe there are tactile switches where that's the case, but typing on cherry clears makes me feel like my brain is lagging
>>
>>100054758
The idea is that if you press the switch enough to be able to clear the peak of the bump, you're gonna blow past the actuation point inevitably. Try something like boba U4T or one of the many other switches that are more tactile than clears.
>>
>>100052367
thank you as well
>>
>>100041937
looks like a lily58 I think you can buy pre built models

>>100039085
how the fuck do you even use that many thumb keys
>>
File: bob proctor.jpg (547 KB, 1080x1350)
547 KB
547 KB JPG
anyone ever used this before? just saw a local listing for a used one of these for 70 bucks and I'm torn between getting that or a gem80
https://www.amazon.com/keydous-Wireless-Mechanical-Keyboard-Bluetooth/dp/B09WTYMBT8
>>
File: base layer.png (30 KB, 706x329)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>100055007
Easy, some of the thumb keys get used somewhat infrequently. I have the two innermost 1u keys on each hand as home/end & pgup/pgdn.
>>
Where do people get these fancy juicy cables?
>>
>>100054552
>what's the point in trying to imitate buckling spring when you know you can't have the real thing?
Why do buckling spring guys talk about MX clicks like the click is an illusion made with smoke and mirrors

it's just not as satisfying a mechanism, it's still "real"
>>
I want analog input without using a controller. My options right now seem limited to a Razer or a wooting. Razer has had qc issues as long as I've been aware of them. Is there a third position, or do I try the wooting?
>>
>>100055468
>not as satisfying
bingo
>>
File: 1713399191187.jpg (102 KB, 640x640)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>100055383
>Where do people get these fancy juicy cables?
You can pay like $100 to get some handmade by some redditor with a 3 week lead time or you can buy them on aliexpress for like $20.
At leat for the typical curly meme usb cables, for those split cables like the one in your picture don't they just use 1/4in audio jacks? If so you can probably buy one like that from Sweetwater or some other musical equipment supply store.
AliExpress meme cable link
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256806602689797.html
>>
File: 1713399326933.jpg (123 KB, 640x640)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
More AliExpress meme cables, this one is only $5 but it looks kinda cheap
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805423990867.html?
More
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805620527921.html?
There's actually shitloads on there wow
>>
>>100055626
I probably wont get one tho i was just wondering. This is fine
>>
File: 1713399589303.jpg (50 KB, 640x640)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>100055383
Here is your split keyboard meme cable.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804018440427.html?
More
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804231525084.html?
More (cheap)
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805811320491.html?
Okay thats enough chinkshit spam
>>
File: IMG_20230417_215518243.jpg (2.21 MB, 4000x2040)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB JPG
TRRS is old & busted, USB-C is the new hotness.
>>
>>100054819
Any other tactile switches I should be considering?
>>
>>100055729
>>100055894
Take a look at T1, glorious panda (though I'd recommend U4T over these unless you know you want the sound they have), lichicx raw tactile, gat kangaroo, etc. I'm sure there are more worth considering but those are the ones that I remember off-hand.
>>
im fucking sick of this shit. i need a pcb for my kbd67 lite r2 but i'm not sure one will ever be available. idk what 65% wireless keyboard i can get to compare to it's quality without spending a fuckton
>>
>>100039510
POS
>>
>>100055468
that wasn't what i was saying at all. my point was that just because anon likes buckling springs doesn't mean he necessarily wants something "similar" when looking for an alternative.
>>
https://www.monsgeek.com/product/m7w/?attribute_color=Silver&wmc-currency=USD
anybody know anything about this guy? is it any good? looks like exactly what i need
>>
https://www.nouvolo.com/products/gmk67s-led-screen-mechanical-keyboard?pr_prod_strat=e5_desc&pr_rec_id=5746e743d&pr_rec_pid=7586393751741&pr_ref_pid=7476263452861&pr_seq=uniform
or anybody tried this?
>>
>>100055966
>sound
which is the "thockiest"?
>>
WTF is a "thock"? I've never seen that onomatopoeia anywhere except keyboard threads.
>>
>>100056053
https://github.com/ruiqimao/keyboard-pcb-guide
>>
>>100056364
U4Ts have a pretty deep sound. Maybe there are ones with a lower pitch, but I'm not aware of any. Morandis are certainly lower pitch but they're linears.
>>
>>100056396
thock = low pitched (bassy) typing sound
clack = high pitched typing sound
>>
>>100056396
>wtf is a "thock"
>onomatopoeia
if you know it's onomatopoeia then you don't need to ask
>>
>>100056418
I guess my keyboard falls under the thocky category then. Thanks.
>>100056469
I was hoping to get an example. Never mind.
>>
>>100040885
Ok, now I am sold.
>>
>>100056512
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijI8k2Qh6lU thocky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ifW57QIkvU clacky
>>
>>100056053
>>100056403
turns out i contacted kbdfans support and they have pcb's they just aren't publicly listed. got one en route, im stoked
>>
>>100056636
based kbdfans?? who knew
>>
anyone tried out the halo75 v2 yet? thinking about either getting that or a gem80 (I'm new to this, the keyboard I have right now is a prebuilt corsair one)
>>
any reason not to get a keychron k2 pro if I'm in the market for a hotswap 75% board?
>>
>>100057264
Wow why are they so obsessed about the gay lights
>>
>>100056545
I think I prefer clack.
>>
How to remove patina from copper weight
>>
File: ndl4leua.jpg (3.59 MB, 2994x2000)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB JPG
>>100060245
You should go all the way and do a cool patina on it
>>
>>100056545
God damn the sound of F1-8X is so fucking good
>>
>>100060283
Yeah got some broken-in MX Blacks waiting for mine when it's finally delivered in like 8 months
Not sure what caps I'm gonna put on it tho
>>
>>100060408
Is the group buy still happening?
>>
>>100060427
https://keebsforall.com/products/f1-8x-v2-barebones?variant=44907868029147 still available here, i think it's closed everywhere else
>>
>>100060436
Thanks, grab one silver/gray wk one for myself
>>
I always forget these generals exist and buy shit without reading.

Leopold FC900 RBT, I just bought it. Rate purchase, give it to me straight
>>
>>100061714
It's a pretty good board, bought my mom a wired FC900R and she likes it. Only real downsides are not being hotswap & only being offered with cherry's switches.
>>
Got my first mechanical keyboard, keychron V6, and it's nice, but cherry profile is retarded. Pressing shift and control at the same time is so uncomfortable.
>>
>>100061956
Keychron doesn't use Cherry Profile on their caps tho
>>
>>100061965
oh, OSA then
>>
Why would you want gasket mount? Seems to be that would give it a cheap floppy feeling
>>
Any opinion on the Nuphy air v2? I'd like a low profile keyboard for traveling and it seems good.
Company pays for it anyway
>>
>>100061714
you did good, Leopold has a good reputation.
>>
>>100038515
OP I have a keyboard switch tester from MX Cherry and I really like the MX Cherry White switches.

I have two questions:
Can someone help me find a premade keyboard that has these built in and are hot swappable and is a 75% keyboard?

Can I even buy the MX Cherry White switches separately on Amazon? I tried looking but cannot find these and love the sound and feel of these.
>>
>>100055539
Steelseries apex pro for $199+tip
>>
>>100063202
if you can stomach TKL layout instead, the vortex model m some anon linked has a cherry mx milky option, which I think is just an alternate name for the mx white: >>100038927
it's a preorder though, not in stock
>>
>>100064519
I had looked at that and what kept me from considering it is that it doesn't seem to have software support to use a key as an analog axis. It only uses the hall switches to trigger and retrigger quickly
>>
>>100063202
You can get them on aliexpress. Cherry MC whites are effectively MX blues that have been lubricated. Or rather the other way round but anyway
>>
>>100065587
So something like this aka I have to buy 128 keys worth of these since they come in 2 per pack?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804552034892.html?
>>
>>100061754
>>100062691
just got it and holy crap the thing is fucking huge I dunno if I can get used to this lmao, what have I done. Kino typing experience however I have to admit.
>>
>>100062190
It's mostly done for sound or feel purposes. On a tray mount board you'll run into hot spots on the keyboard which sound different, and that's due to the fact that the pcb/plate are making direct hard contact with the case. The same can happen with a top mount, though it just depends. Gasket mounts are good at isolating the board from any extraneous noises, and it can also lead it a more bouncy or flexy feeling when typing which some people value. It can also be stiff, just depends on the gasket implementation.
>>
>>100065895
You could return it and get a TKL instead if it's really a problem
>>
>>100065895
Have you never seen a full size keyboard before getting it? lmao
>>
>>100066755
yeah like 20 years ago when they were still kinda in common use. Biggest issue is how *tall* this thing is, I fear for my right wrist.
>>
>>100065759
Bumpa
>>
How are the Akko hall effect boards?
>>
File: edit20240418_131347.jpg (265 KB, 1331x998)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>100066815
You get used to it
>>
>>100065759
those "whites" look like clears, not whites. and that's an outrageous price for cherry switches.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005006011678193.html
this has milky white for a more normal price
>>
File: 1711283492803532.jpg (312 KB, 2048x1534)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
SEX
>>
>>100056418
What is creamy then?
>>
>>100065759
Yeah sort of, except you have to be careful. Those appear to be clears instead of whites, as this anon said: >>100067567. In the east mx clears are often called white, and whites milk. Safest be is to get them from a store that sells both, so you can be sure to get the actual whites.

For ex. here they are called "milk": https://www.aliexpress.us/item/4000838371377.html

and here they are called "white": https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32839844484.html
>>
>>100063202
Just be warned that mx whites are pretty inconsistent in sound. Source: I used to own a board with them.
>>
>>100048035
You are the first person who has ever cared about my findings
>>
>>100068189
Not gritty
>>
>>100048035
Check out my recording
https://youtu.be/273vHGd9qLw
>>
Does anyone here have experience with 3d printing
>>
File: IMG_20230731_164944731.jpg (1.63 MB, 3484x2068)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
>>100071582
Sure.
>>
>>100071619
How much to print this plastic part to hold up my keyboard?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4986910
>>
>>100071619
That looks wild. Care to explain
>>
File: IMG_20230408_192118025.jpg (806 KB, 2644x1240)
806 KB
806 KB JPG
>>100071762
Never been great at pricing out random parts myself, don't know how much to ask really. You'd likely end up paying more in shipping from milkbagland to wherever you are than I'd ask for it though.
>>100071817
They're both dactyls. Just comfy boards to type on, with a lot of possible customization that can be done with the layout.
>>
>>100071885
>milkbagland
Where is that
>>
>>100071956
TL note: "milkbagland" means "canada"
>>
>>100071885
So if I want this fucking.pladtic part I really need to buy a 3d printer

Fucking shit
>>
>>100071988
IIRC you can look up people who'll do random print jobs for you using 3Dhubs. You can compare prices, their distance from you, etc.
>>
Whats a good full size keyboard without a retarded gaming aesthetic and a volume knob or volume buttons?
>>
>>100072167
Logitech mx mechanical
>>
>>100069989
Thanks bros at least I know to shoot for MX Milk in this scenario. I would probably buy a few, note the seller plus link, test and compare to the switch tester I got from Amazon and if I like them, I'm all in.

Helps a ton.

I got another dumb question: is there anywhere I can buy a keyboard base for the switches and caps that has the IBM beige tone to it, and not like the Gamer style white to it?

Thanks
>>
File: november keyboard.jpg (1.56 MB, 2500x1569)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>
>>100072360
there's the literal ibm clone that comes with milk switches which I linked earlier

but it was 80%, not 75. still... if it's filling this many requirements for you...

anyway another option would be luminkey 75:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/products/createkeebs-luminkey75?variant=47862910648620
then get your milk whites and some shenpo keycaps from taobao or aliexpress etc

there's probably a cheaper option out there maybe someone can come up with
>>
File: IMG_0045.jpg (42 KB, 780x586)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>100071956
that big cold landmass full of newly-imported Indians on America's northern border
>>
>>100045695
>numpad
gross
>>
File: black.jpg (778 KB, 3072x1728)
778 KB
778 KB JPG
>>
People will look at you funny for not having scroll lock, pause, a numpad (that's 10 number keys you already have, an extra +, an extra -, an extra return, etc...), a caps lock, etc

Not a single one of these people ever complained that their iphone keyboard lacked these essential buttons, that it uses layers, etc. As soon as they were confronted with those constraints they adapted immediately. But they honestly believe they could never get used to it in a keyboard.

These people are retarded.
>>
>>100072805
Which one? I don't see it
>>
>>100072601
funny how you have the smallest handguns you could possibly get but keyboard is 100%
>>
>>100074507
Nevermind found it, kind of expensive

https://vortexgear.store/products/model-m-ssk-wktkl
>>
>>100074507
this reply:
>>100065020
linking to this:
>>100038927
>>
>>100074361
I'm not inputting numbers almost ever on my phone, just texting or quick google searches if I'm away from my desktop. Text input is also super AIDS since they've totally ruined swiped texting in the last few years too.
What a dumb post.
>>
I never learned to touch type. "Alas a sad lad; glad as had lass" and such bullshit lost me in a hurry. I instead move my entire hands, hovering above the keys, and bias toward index and middle fingers over ring and little fingers. There are some interesting benefits to it, but whatever. It is perhaps what someone starting with "hunt and peck" would end up at after continuing to build mastery. Am I uniquely positioned to make good use of what otherwise would be a massive meme? Say, going directly to non-qwerty ergo-split since I'd be learning touch typing from scratch anyway?
>>
>>100074361
I use my numpad constantly and despise phone keyboards.
>>
>>100074539
160 fully built is hardly expensive

if you want junk that rattles, by all means get a redragon or logitech or whatever. Or get whatever meme keyboard is being shilled on youtube to save $50.

You're only going to use it for hours a day for the next 5-10 years, why spend more than a tank of gas
>>
Alright you fucks
I've got a couple of 100% boards, but now I need something relatively compact and portable I can throw in my laptop bag
Needs to be hotswap, needs to have f keys, aluminum housing would be nice, SA or MT3-style keycaps is a bonus because I'm a retro faggot
>>
Just want to tell everyone in this thread you can get a free order on Attackshark.com since they just opened their site. First 100 customers get it. I was like one of the first to buy. They'll supposedly refund you after you received it and message them. Not sure how many spots are left but I think we're still in the 20's. It's been close to a day though. Just buy 1 thing and they'll refund you the entire order I believe. Order number started at #1000

I think the free order ends tonight since it said the 18th only.
>>
>>100075476
small keyboard with f rows always look hideous, it's a bad shape
>>
>>100075508
sounds completely legit, thank you fellow anon who is one of us,
>>
I thought shilling on 4chan was a myth because the potential audience is less than a hundred of the worst customers imaginable. I was wrong.
>>
>>100075476
tex shinobi
>>
>>100075593
I shill things constantly and I do it for free. I just love products
>>
>I'm not an enthusiast like you nerds but I want a starter board that's really nice

go to keychron and find the style you like

/thread
>>
>>100075524
I'm skeptical as well... But I think it's legit. Either way I'll just refund if it isn't. It's on their twitter.
https://twitter.com/attacksharkgear?lang=en
>>
>>100075512
Fuck you, functionality trumps aesthetics
>>
>>100075773
buying ugly keyboard just so it has f keys?
>>
>>100075773
ok fine whatever

the current meme on youtube is rainy75. but if you look around there are plenty of 75% full alu boards out there, and it sounds like that's what you're looking for. Then just get aftermarket SA caps from China, they're gonna cost you $20
>>
>>100075508
I bought an Attack Shark mouse and the thing started reverse scrolling not even half a year in
>>
>>100075949
good thing it was free!
>>
people are talking about freebie junk in my fancy keyboard thread...
>>
Lol
>>
what's the deal with the spiral cables that come in two pieces? is there a benefit over a single, straight cable?
>>
>>100077215
Trend started when keyboard pcbs started moving away from mini usb, so different board used different connectors. Also a couple years ago some custom boards did not have detachable cables. It was just an easier way of switching between boards.
Now days, aesthetics.
>>
I just inhaled lead smoke soldering new switches. It's over.
>>
>>100078134
Use a fume extractor nigga, they're not expensive.
>>
>>100072360
There is a "retro color" version of the hot-swap Keychron C2, but I don't know if those are available anymore
>>
good news friends, I found a guy who will print my moonlander support legs for 20 euros (€ 26,50 inclusing shipping)

pretty relieved I don't need to buy a 3d printer

should have those legs by early next week and so I will finally be able to implement the vertical tenting solution
>>
>>100078134
rip...
>>
Has anyone here used MT3 profile keycaps? Thinking about picking some up but not sure.
>>
>>100039510
IMO If you plan on getting a Keychron board, you should really be looking at the V series as the entry point. it's not too much more than the C
>>
>>100081667
he was trying to satisfy anon's desire for retro beige
>>
>>100078134
It's not really a big deal unless you're doing it every day.
>>
>>100081588
I have, I think they're nice especially with heavy clicky switches and I prefer them over other high profiles like SA. Massdrop runs a BOGO on them every so often which is a decent value. It's all personal preference at the end of the day though, I still ultimately prefer cherry profile.
>>
File: 1701983826837945.png (223 KB, 454x371)
223 KB
223 KB PNG
>>100082174
I know lol. Just thought it was a funny thing to post.
>>
>>100082266
delete this you're ruining it. it's ok if some anons don't get it
>>
Worn in stock MX browns my beloved
>>
>>100082768
spring swapped or no?
>>
>>100082894
Nope, just dead stock with double shot Tai-Hao ABS and heavily used
>>
>>100082912
imagine opening them up, lubing and spring swapping them for some very consistent geon springs... no more +/-15g spring inconsistency...
>>
File: 1706358260429989.jpg (292 KB, 2363x1774)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
I changed my layout just a little bit
I desoldered too many times this week
love this board to bits
>>
>>100082996
This is such a nitpicky thing but I hate his logo, reminds me of gaymer brands
>>
>>100082979
>(±0.3g)
With this claim I might give them a try
>>
>>100083038
It's a good thing that his logo is optional, You'd have to buy his logo as an add-on to put it on your board
If you don't like it you can save $4 by not buying it
>>
>>100083363
I don't like logo-less boards. It needs to have a maker's mark imo. Just a shame I don't like his.
>>
someone's selling outemu silent lime for 20 cents a switch on aliexpress. yes please. I'm ordering 200
>>
yay or nay
>>
Planning on grabbing a batch of Gateron Jupiter Bananas for an upcoming build. I hear they're very pleasant to type on.
>>
>>100083662
also here are my previous posts about the switch:
>>99843097
>>99842947
>>
>>100083735
are you the seller be honest
>>
>>100083662
Isn't it always that price on Ali
>>
>>100083778
honestly?... 我和你一样是一名普通海报,我与 Outemu 或 Aliexpress 没有任何关系。 我尽力如实发贴有关机械键盘的事宜,无意欺骗他人以谋取利益。
>>
>>100072167
das keyboard used to have what you want, idk if they still make keyboards
>>
File: K70 RGB TKL.jpg (125 KB, 1024x1024)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
Got a free keyboard (picrel) from a coworker, what do you guys think of gray switches?
>>
>>100072167
https://keyboardtreehouse.com/products/ae-x-impulse-boards-kangaroo
>>
>>100072167
any full size with 108 keys (the extra 4 usually are volume-related) or any full size with a knob. Many options. Keychron Q6 for example.

and ofc any keyboard configurable with via you can set it to have volume controls with a fn combination

lots of routes to what you want.
>>
>>100083950
daskeyboard's knob isn't programmable and is frequently bothersome because standard windows media controls are context-dependent.

t. daily drives a daskeyboard and never touches the volume knob
>>
>>100083959
Actually I guess they're Corsair OPX switches but same principle, they actuate after almost no travel
>>
>>100084492
that sounds really annoying
>>
>>100083780
I'm sure that's a normal price on taobao but ali is usually pricier
>>
>>100083985
>$500 for barebones
>numpad and arrows on the wrong side because Australian
Is this a serious recc or some kind of meme
>>
>>100083678
nay
>>
>>100085753
>what's southpaw
>>
>>100082768
Anon, what is this keyboard model?
>>
File: stingray_ninja_tkl.jpg (191 KB, 1024x501)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
is there a equivalent keyboard in terms of TKL layout, look, low profile, but with clicky switches? Most low profile keyboards I've looked at omit the thick border that normal profile mechanical keyboards have
>>
>>100085844
man I live way north of the equator I don't know about south anything. I've seen that word maybe one time in my life when I was changing my controls in Call of Duty.
>>
>>100038515
~$45 for an IBM Model M. Ja, or nein?
>>
>>100038515
>>
File: 1696171226654612.jpg (66 KB, 784x408)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
is there a mech keyboard out there like picrel

preferably one with a volume knob
>>
>>100039461
>buy $5-$25 foam
>open up keyboard
>put foam in
Wow look guys I got rid of the hollow sound without paying $700.
>>
>>100087414
And your board will sound exactly like any others foam filled board lol
>>
>>100087160
not that layout but tex shinobi
>>
>>100087414
no no you don't understand, it needs to sound large and cavernous but NOT hollow at the same time, foam just dampens and makes it sound small and quiet, not the same thing

I wish I could say it's mental illness, that might be neat, but I think it's just forumfags inventing a meaningless metric for competing with each other over whose keyboard is minmaxed the hardest
>>
>>100087054
what year, what condition
>>
>>100087414
Peak tiktokers advice
>>
>>100087487
too large, I've already see a slimmer thinkpad mkb anyway.
>>
>>100087551
'86, it's one of the common 1391401 models. It's in excellent condition.
>>
thwocky >>> clicky
>>
>>100087604
Does that include the rivets or just externally? Not that hard to do a bolt mode but its annoying.
>>
>>100088073
Great price though.
>>
>>100087604
fuck it, why not
>>
>>100087054
Great price for an '86 M. Go for it. Screw or bolt modding it is easy and cheap.
>>
I have a zsa moonlander with cherry mx brown. I was considering changing them for cherry mx blue.

Im confused if I should buy this on zsa website as in it is a specific type for moonlander and rgb

Or can I buy it anywhere? I prefer not to buy from zsa if possible bcs of tarrifs etc
>>
>>100087980
gay
>>
when you're a 10xer they let you bring clickies to work
>>
>>100089078
Everyone bring blue switches to office when boss says itd time to return to office no more wfh

Psych! Rakatakakakklakakak fuck you asshole
>>
>>100087980
I prefer slappy whacky
>>
>>100089246
I've been bringing my unicomp to the office for years now, nobody gives a shit about the noise
>>
>>100074251
Yeah already placed an order for blanks of these ursa caps. Not interested in white on black. Messaged them to see if they'd do a DM42 themed yellow on black keycap set. Man can dream
>>
>>100038515
Is there a company in particular with a low chattering rate?
>>
>>100090795
Yea, any that make non-contact based switches like hall-effect.
>>
>>100090806
Thanks babe :3
>>
File: its over.png (111 KB, 659x692)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>norbauer will no longer make keyboard cases
If you didn't get something yet, you will never truly reach topre endgame.
>>
>>100061714
Based choice.

>>100083985
Not at that price. I like my Keychron Q12, but it's about as much as I'm willing to invest in a keyboard. Sad it's EoL though.

>>100072601
Do you have a favorite gun

>>100078134
To quote Joe Jackson: "Everything gives you cancer".

>>100087116
>Silicone case
Will look like shit in a month

>>100091173
Sad, why is he stopping?
>>
>>100086088
It's a cringe way of saying "left-handed or otherwise the inverse of what you're used to"
>>
>>100085858
filco majestouch 3
>>
>>100091173
topre endgame = lubed realforce 87U 55g, nothing more than that is necessary
>>
>>100087540
Hey you know what sounds like that naturally
Rubber dome
And you can get them for $20
>>
>>100088548
As zoomers with their niggerlicious vernacular like to say, "fuck it, we ball".
>>
Looks tempting
>>
>>100091173
His stuff isn't that great, honestly. Especially the Heavy Grail which just doesn't feel nor sound as nice as a stock HHKB. Topre is one of those things that is just almost perfect stock, the only thing I ever do to it is maybe put 3203 on the rails and better lube on the stabs. That's all it needs, really.
>>
So, guys, does ultra-sound cleaning renew your old switches?
>>
>>100093995
it can clean the old lube for you
>>
>>100092200
(you)
>>
>>100088799
Yeah you can get them anywhere you like.
>>
given how keyboardheads love blowing every paycheck on "a build" and then selling off their stuff when their collection gets too big or they have an unexpected need for cash, isn't the best route for a "what should I buy" normie probably to buy some enthusiast's 'used' board? I'd be surprised if these nerds were selling above cost, and all their labour probably isn't factored in.
>>
>>100097084
I don't really trust buying used builds. Because most people are very shit at lubing and other things
>>
>>100097084
>I'd be surprised if these nerds were selling above cost, and all their labour probably isn't factored in.
nerds usually buy high-end stuff so the majority of them are flippers because they can due to how the limited group buy system works
>>
>>100097084
I mean even if you trust the craftsmanship I wouldn't use that shit without good sanitation and at that point you're tearing it down and then putting it back again
>>
>>100097369
Please seek help and get your 5th booster.
>>
File: 1683151747547427.gif (548 KB, 250x250)
548 KB
548 KB GIF
Is there a way I can make this obnoxious Filco spacebar quieter without opening up the board?
https://vocaroo.com/1n0ccOTFN3Ap
>>
>>100097577
Lube your stabilizers?
>>
>>100097577
Just pop the spacebar off, and try adding some small foam cutouts into the hollow sections. Should help with rattling, and mute the sound a bit. If that doesn't help you're probably going to have to take the board apart to lube/replace the stabilizers
>>
>>100097727
It's not rattle, it's the sound of the spacebar bottoming out against the metal plate
>>
>>100097577
Syringe-lubing the stabs/wire is pretty much your option without cracking it open, and it will only help so much. It won't help with the plate tick though. Maybe cut up some foam and fill out the spacebar and any gaps you can get around the spacebar's location on the plate.
>>
>>100097577
>costar stabilizers
this is your life now
>>
>>100038515
I dont care about the keys but anyone know where i can find thin bezelless keyboard?
>>
>>100097369
I love that there are so many retards like you because it keeps used prices low, especially for headphonss
>>
>>100097361
some of them are flippers but a lot of these guys are losing money over time because they just enjoy participating in the hobby
>>
>>100097839
keychron makes some
>>
Why the fuck are keycaps so expensive? Also who the fuck started the dumbass trend of selling the alpha keys, and numpad separately?
>>
Whats the chinkiest mechanical keyboard i could buy off of aliexpress or temu?
>>
>>100097955
alphas and numpad separately, and all the other ways they break things up to raise the price, is the gayest shit ever, especially because on half of these poorly designed webstores the keycaps display as "on sale! $25" and $25 gets you one artisan cap, the basekit is $180

anyway the expensive part is because tooling to produce plastic caps in low volume is expensive. Then add in that the "artist" wants to make money on the caps, and the vendor wants to make money, and the manufacturer wants to make money—there's some significant markup involved too

I only buy ripoffs and generic designs. fuck artists and their copyrights
>>
>>100097955
Because only ftm trannies use numpad, fag. Get over it.
>>
Why does this hobby attract so many trannies?
>>
>>100098304
Because you are one of them, pathetic trannyseeker.
>>
>>100098304
Because it lets them do it indoors, and in a larger sense flows into their online persona where they can be a "real grill" unlike irl where those fags can be easily mocked.
>>
>>100097992
just go to your local computer store and pick up their cheapest Redragon
>>
>>100098304
Chud, why do you look so obsessed with troons? Do you have a trauma from your childhood? Did troon rape you?
>>
>>100098304
does it?
>>
>>100098386
he just looks someone to blame in his failures
sometimes it is da joos, another time trannies
>>
Anyone have any experience with MT3 profile keycaps?
>>
>>100097955
Some group buy runners are still being a chad by making big ass base kit
This is just an example https://novelkeys.com/products/cyl-regal
>>
what are the best silent switches?
>>
>>100098405
the jews are confusing me about my gender. I need some based muscular muslim chads to sort me out and put an end to this nonsense

also what's the thockiest creamiest 65% I can get for $80? must have wireless, hotswap, programmable rgb, iso layout, and a knob
>>
>>100098521
Gateron Zero Degrees
>>
>>100091734
thank you anon
>>
>>100098521
best? or most silent?
>>
>>100098484
someone said the high spacebar is uncomfortable. I believe him
>>
Best 50€ keyboard?
>>
>>100097558
>seething because he can't sell his cumstained keyboard
lol
>>
>>100101501
>anon who freejacked and made a mess of his keyboard assumes everyone else does this too
>>
talk me out of buying gmk
>>
File: 1518222643936.jpg (3.78 MB, 4928x3264)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB JPG
>>100104227
Your GMK set after some months, sir.
>>
I am about to spend $200 on a 65% keyboard to bring to the office, which I only visit once or twice a month (and therefore will barely ever use the keyboard). What the fuck is wrong with me
>>
Anyone tried niz keyboards? How do they compare to real topre?
>>
bros I need advice, I know barely anything about mechanical keyboards except that I really want one
what are some decentish options for an ISO keyboard with numpad? I really have to have a numpad btw, I use it a lot in my job
ty bros
>>
>>100091746
Agree that all you need is lube for the main components. I do not run rings, landing pads, gaskets etc. However, cases leave something to be desired. IMO, plastic is never hefty enough.

>>100091313
>Sad, why is he stopping?
Done with this art project in his life I'm assuming.

>>100093787
Heavy grail is hit or miss because of his custom plate. I disagree with you on the other boards. Leopold cases are the nicest, better than realforce, but when you have a Heavy-6/9, its another thing entirely.

>3203 on the rails
I also put 205 on sliders. The only topre board that has not needed this, has been the realforce ones. Those are legitimately tuned to perfection at the factory. Everything else requires lubing or adjustment to reach that quality level. Why wouldn't you always get a realforce? Because of some unique layouts that might suit you better in other boards.
>>
>>100105082
keychron q6 iso is a safe bet
>>
>>100105336
been looking at those but I don't think they have it in my dead ass language
I feel like I'm domed to pay extra for inferior products
>>
>>100105426
you could always get new keycaps, no?
>>
>>100105445
oh you're right, ty
too expensive for me I guess, this is for work, I was thinking more in the 100-120$ range
sorry for wasting your time
>>
>>100105248
I've had bad HHKBs purchased in the past that were scratchy and sounded bad, but when I bought an HHKB direct in Japan while I was there on travel, it was buttery smooth and consistent. Hell, the stabilized keys don't even rattle even after a year of office use. I then imported a black one from Japan that ended up being in the same year, and it was also great. Meanwhile my FC980C and older HHKBs kinda felt like and sounded mediocre without modding. Maybe they've just improved their manufacturing tolerances on HHKBs within the last few years. It's actually unbelievable how shitty my FC980C feels. Even modding couldn't fully save it.
>>
>>100105841
>It's actually unbelievable how shitty my FC980C feels.
Similar experience with the stock one compared to my realforce R2 PFU. I followed the unrealkeyboards guide on lubrication and purchased some new stabilizer wires, which fixed all issues I had with it. Did not want to do any further mods to it, as once I dropped it into a Heavy-9, the sound and feel became outstanding, especially the spacebar.
>>
>>100105585
I don't even have a mechanical keyboard yet, but I've been learning about them for the past few days. Keycaps aren't too expensive, so you could probably get a decent keyboard plus new caps for around that price. What language do you want it in?
>>
NEW THREAD?!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.