[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: wp5338281.jpg (45 KB, 1023x988)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
https://www.wheresyoured.at/the-men-who-killed-google/
shocked pikachu face
>>
>>100158454
>Raghavan — a manager, hired by Sundar Pichai, a former McKinsey man and a manager by trade — is an example of everything wrong with the tech industry. Despite his history as a true computer scientist with actual academic credentials, Raghavan chose to bulldoze actual workers and replace them with toadies that would make Google more profitable and less useful to the world at large.

>Since Prabhakar took the reins in 2020, Google Search has dramatically declined, with the numerous “core” search updates allegedly made to improve the quality of results having an adverse effect, increasing the prevalence of spammy, search engine optimized content.
>>
Terrible article based entirely on the opening line of
>The story begins on February 5th 2019
This assumes that Google Search was good until 2019, which it wasn't. Google Search hasn't been good or even barely passable since the early 2010's.
Sure it might've gotten worse because they pushed out the guy who made search great in the first place and replaced him with some incompetent asshat for ideological reasons, but by the time that happened Search was already shit compared to what it was a decade prior.
>>
File: 1700694042202.jpg (214 KB, 1024x1024)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
>>100158454
>poojets shitting up everything and anything they touch, the exact opposite of a midas touch
how is this surprising
>>
>>100158504
>McKinsey man
daily remainder that these people run the EU and ((advise)) many European countries. Von der Leyen even got lectures from Nuland's hand picked Indian team. Its crazy if you read the "powerful" articles/interview about them. No wonder the west failed to contain Russia and let Ukraine die they have no stake in Europe beyond looking good before their superior and if some whites die so what probably helps the climate agenda.
>>
>>100158836
France's president is literally their puppet, it made a huge scandal here during the coof saga
>>
>>100158630
Yeah. The real problem is other search engines are shit too, else nobody would mind google being shit.
>>
>>100159259
Someone needs to just fucking hook up locatedb to wget and push it to github.
>>
>>100158454
>>100158504
That explains why google search is so horrifically bad these days
I prefer using yahoo, bing and yandex unironically for less bs results
>>
>>100158504
>Since Prabhakar took the reins in 2020, Google Search has dramatically declined, with the numerous “core” search updates allegedly made to improve the quality of results having an adverse effect, increasing the prevalence of spammy, search engine optimized content
Not sure if it's directly his fault, but at least the latter part checks out, Google has completely gone to shit in recent years.
It used to be that Google was so much better than the competition that it was practically impossible to boycott them. Now I use other search engines simply because I actually want good results.
>>
>>100159342
>India managed to scam the entire anglosphere out of it's economy
Woah.
>>
>>100158454
so they make it more shitty so I make more searches as this will serve me more ads? lmao, it might work on normalfags though, theyre the ones buying stuff from google ads after all
>>
>>100159526
Remember AMP or whatever it's called? They only rolled that out to iPhone users so I never noticed it outside of other people's phones.
Holy shit they all just accepted that the web worked that way now.
>>
>>100158454
>hire Indians
>company goes bankrupt
Many such cases.
I don't give a fuck if Google Search goes away, there are way better alternatives anyway.
>>
>>100158630
I still had good search experience from jewgle until 2014. It went downhill for me in 2017.
>>
>>100159698
What do you use?
>>
They're intentionally ruining the company on purpose. Here's a small niggle I've noticed with Chrome lately. If you're fullscreen and ctrl+H, you can immediately start typing to search your history with no further clicks. Make your browser window smaller, for example by snapping it to the side of your screen so it's only half sized, and suddenly when you press ctrl+H you can't just start typing. Now you have to click the eyeglass in the top right, at which point it moves to the top left and you have to click it again. Until a week ago you only had to click it once, but an update made it worse. Why you even have to click at all when your window is smaller is beyond me.
>>
>>100158454
>14 MIN READ
GPT summarize it
>>
>>100158454
previous discussion here:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=40133976
>>
>Gomes, a Googler of 19 years that built the foundation of modern search engines, should go down as one of the few people in tech that actually fought for a real principle, destroyed by and replaced with Prabhakar Raghavan

how sad
>>
>>100158454
It was VERY noticably happening in 2020 and I only use google for translate and looking at a map of my hometown. I like to measure how far i wander when I'm drunk on homeade koolaid
>>
File: huhwha.jpg (99 KB, 1200x800)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>100159969
Nigga what is you on about?
>>
File: gigachad.jpg (21 KB, 474x529)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>100159905
I just know where things are.
>>
>>100160171
He's autistic but not quite autistic enough to use elinks qutebrowser.
>>
File: 1713193657804369.png (77 KB, 400x400)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
>>100159905
Here!
Use this website!
It's got the drizz drip risen bro.
https://googlethatforyou.com?q=the%20google%20search%20engine
>>
Are newsletters usually this scathing? I might read more of them
>>
indian men killed the entirety of the internet
>>
File: 1701264368524717.jpg (112 KB, 1920x1080)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>100159905
I just post stupid and inflammatory takes on the relevant board and wait for anons to correct me.
>>
>>100159905
right now i use kagi fastgpt. so comfy it feels like cheating. i'm genuinely afraid they will make it a paid service at any minute
>>
>>100158454
Prabhakar Raghavan was my skip-level manager at Yahoo! and I'd known of him well before that, from my days at IBM Research.
The author says very few people knew who Raghavan was. Clearly he isn't a computer scientist. It is more an indication of the ignorance of the writer than anything else.
Raghavan's contributions to Computer Science and, Search in particular, which were made long before he joined Yahoo!, were word-class. That is the reason he was so sought after by search engine companies. His text book on Randomised Algorithms is a classic.
Calling Raghavan a 'McKinsey' consultant is just a pure ad-hominem attack. The purpose seems to be to vilify him by association. Which is utterly ironic considering that he never worked for them or was ever a 'consultant'
As for his contributions at Yahoo!, I don't think he had any significant influence on the management direction that company took. In my opinion, absolutely no one at Yahoo!, CEO downwards, had much control over their destiny.
Yahoo! was a clusterfck all around, with the primary problem being its utterly dysfunctional board, and unfortunate share ownership structure that made it beholden to the demands of Wall St, resulting in a parade of CEOs. Personnel churn was at such a high volume, that I, an individual contributor usually seven levels below the board, calculated that the average tenure of my leadership chain to the board changed once every fifteen days.
So blaming Raghavan for what happened at Yahoo! is just stupid.
I don't disagree with the assessment, that Google Search was 'getting too close to money.' But to assign blame in this manner smells like a hit piece.
Managers, take their marching order from their bosses, ultimately this is the board of the company. If the board feels the need for revenue growth, no manager, CEO included has the power to resist too much. They advise against it, but in the end they will either need to to their biding or be fired.
>>
>>100160507
This but I do it in the Teams group chat at work. It's crazy how you can get autistic people to do your work for free.
>>
>>100160042
>Probably the bigger change, from what I've heard, was losing Amit Singhal who led Search until 2016. Amit fought against creeping complexity. There is a semi-famous internal document he wrote where he argued against the other search leads that Google should use less machine-learning, or at least contain it as much as possible, so that ranking stays debuggable and understandable by human search engineers.
As I suspected, one in every million Indians is based. But of course, the loud majority has to ruin everything
>>
>>100160247
>>100160293
>>100160507
haha u guys r so funny xd
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=P4VBqTViEx4

story never changes
Even from a Computer Scientist that decides to turn his back on that and becomes the Sales Exec. Sales execs are the only ones getting promoted and getting money so why bother with the other shit.
>>
File: in da matrix.jpg (82 KB, 718x694)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>100160622
Thanks fren. I've been using perplexity since they surpassed google
>>
>>100159313
They're even trying to kill maps.
>>
>>100160799
>>
>>100161192
Good. Hopefully the carcass can be donated to OSM.
>>
>>100162894
>he thinks they will donate maps data
retard
>>
>>100163158
you can download Google Earth still, retardanon.
>>
>>100160799
Yeah Google search sucks bc the Internet’s infested with millions of bad actors who SEO, make clickbait, scam websites, and other crap. The incentives are largely aligned for people to shit up the internet with their garbage and what one nerd does in a glass tower somewhere to tweak the results from 95% shit to 94% shit ain’t going to matter. Also lmao at McKinsey being the bugbear of today’s Zeitgeist, as if people of the pathetic caliber of Pete Buttigieg are something to fear…oooooh nooo are they going to powerpoint me to death?
>>
>>100164073
Massive cope. Stay malding
>>
>>100158504
Diversity is our strength.
>>
>>100160799
shut up, Prabhakar
>>
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1713804980288892.webm
>>
>>100161192
I really cherish Google Earth. Will be very sad when that is kill
>>
>>100160799
>clearly, he wasn’t a computer scientist
Oooh, got ‘em
>>
Search sucks ass now and why did they kill off cached links? They post cached text results but when you click the link the info is not there anymore.. with open cached link you could retrieve the information.
>>
File: lego_agony_rage.gif (27 KB, 200x200)
27 KB
27 KB GIF
>>100158504
>the numerous “core” search updates allegedly made to improve the quality of results having an adverse effect, increasing the prevalence of spammy, search engine optimized content.
>"saaar I need to help my friends back in Mumbai and Delhi with their operations saaaar!"
God I hate them so much. Like bordering on a "Mein Kampf" level of hatred.
>>
>>100168720
kek
>>
>hire Indian
>they poo on the company
>>
>>100158454
Indians should be killed and India should be wiped off the map. There is no other solution to this Indian problem.
>>
>>100171909
im also an indian what do u wnt genocide
>>
>cant find shit
>try out tandex
>it just fucking works
>>
>>100158504
>>Since Prabhakar took the reins in 2020, Google Search has dramatically declined, with the numerous “core” search updates allegedly made to improve the quality of results having an adverse effect, increasing the prevalence of spammy, search engine optimized content.
it's funny how normies believe it went to shit only in 2020. whereas the truth is that it went to shit by 2010
>>
>>100158735
yea bkl
>>
>>100158454
Still waiting of the refresh for yacy without the whole p2p bloat and the elegance of setting up prometheus or so. And may not Java…
I even would contribute where I can.
>>
File: 1711881419738653.png (115 KB, 700x758)
115 KB
115 KB PNG
>>100158454
reminder that the collapse of the british empire is responsible for every problem in the world today
amerisharts did this
>>
>>100158454
> the update mostly rolled back changes, and traffic was increasing to sites that had previously been suppressed by Google Search’s “Penguin” update from 2012 that specifically targeted spammy search results
AND THEN EVERYONE STARTED ADDING
"site:reddit.com"
TO THEIR QUERIES FOR ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING REASON WHATSOEVER
>>
>>100158454
> Gomes, who was a critical part of the original team that made Google Search work, who has been credited with establishing the culture of the world’s largest and most important search engine, was chased out by a growth-hungry managerial types led by Prabhakar Raghavan, a management consultant
Based.
Fuck Google.
Hire a pajeet?
Get what you fucking hired. LMFAO.
>>
>>100172278
t. pajeet
>>
I took read the orange reddit, OP.
>>
>Raghavan with the blessing of CEO Sundar Pichai, actively worked to make Google worse to [try to] make the company more money
lol.
>>
>>100158630
>Search was already shit
t. Raghavan
>>
>Prabhakar Raghavan, the new head of Google Search, the guy that has run Google Search into the ground, the guy who is currently destroying search, [what] did [he do] before his job at Google?
>He was the head of search for Yahoo from 2005 through 2012 — a tumultuous period that cemented its terminal decline, and effectively saw the company bow out of the search market altogether. His responsibilities? Research and development for Yahoo's search and ads products.
>When Raghavan joined the company, Yahoo held a 30.4 percent market share — not far from Google’s 36.9%, and miles ahead of the 15.7% of MSN Search. By May 2012, Yahoo was down to just 13.4
Interesting... very, very interesting.
>>
I can't blame the jeet for Yahoo's failure
Yahoo was always going to fail
>>
>On April 5, 2021, an announcement was made that Yahoo! Answers would be shutting down on May 4, 2021, the site ceased operations and redirected to a Yahoo Help page until July, after which it redirected to the main Yahoo page. Yahoo gave reduced usage of the site as the reason for shutting down, saying "it has become less popular over the years."
This makes much more sense now. Fucking pajeets, bros...
>>
>>100173270
>>100173233
>In 2009, Yahoo! Answers staff claimed 200 million users worldwide and 15 million users visiting daily. In January 2010, the web analytics website Quantcast reported 24 million active users (US) per month; in November 2015, that had fallen by 77% to 5.6 million.
>>
File: 78578547854.jpg (59 KB, 1280x720)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>100158454
I genuinely cant' find shit using google nowadays. I am forced to duckduckgo and yandex and I don't even want to use them
>>
>>100158630
>Search was already shit
>>100173233
>Yahoo was always going to fail
Why do indians always seem to say things like this???
>>
>>100172451
you can always sniff out the retards on orange reddit because there are very similar posts here.
>>
>>100159526
>make it more shitty so I make more searches as this will serve me more ads? lmao, it might work on normalfags
pajeet ideology.
>Make everything shit so everyone gets to be spammed more
>>
>>100173324
see that level of failure is impossible to put on one guy
>>
>>100160622
>"However, some sources also argue that reports of Google's demise have been "greatly exaggerated" and that the company's search dominance is not under immediate threat."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>100173374
>One guy whose in charge demands change to website which 90% of the users are unhappy with
>Refuses to reverse course
>>
>>100158454
Indians will shit everywhere besides the toilet
>>
>>100172278
The British Empire was the great cancer of humanity, it's the reason these people bred like rabbits instead of staying tribal peoples like they should have. Africa should have been a natural preserve with only a few dozen thousand tribesmen living there. India should've remained a shithole with regular famines culling the population... But NOOOOOO... you had to bring them "civilization".
>>
>>100160622
>kagi fastgpt
Dropped.
>>
>>100158836
this company was also giving advice to the French government during Covid

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.