[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why does /g/ hate Python so goddamn much. I always see threads shitting on this great language, if it's not a shitting thread people always come to shit on the lenguage.

What makes it so bad?
>>
>why is the contrarian website filled with contrarians?
because /g/
>>
>>100188932
>>admitting that Python is shit is contrarian
>>
>>100188888
Some hate Python, some hate C, some hate javascript, some hate basic, and so on... and they have to be very open about it... so it often makes it look like whole /g/ hate all languages...
>>
People with jobs use it.
>>
>>100188945
pretty much
it's successful and used a lot
it's used a lot because it's shit? no, that makes no sense
>b-b-but bootcamps s-suck!
yeah, duh
>>
>slow
>whitespaces are keywords
>Low ass scripting language
>Babbys first language
>Retarded design decisions like self in __init__ and scope problems
>Its like it's babbys first programming language project
>>
>>100188979
There are more indians in india who literally eat cow shit and literally drink cow piss than there's total amount of people in my entire country, does this mean that cow shit and piss is good and my country is just backwards and contrarian?
>>
>>100188980
Here it is. The typical parroting of the same tired complaints. Python has problems; but what people write about in 99.9999% of the posts here never address them. It's always the same tired shit.
>whitespace bad
>beginners use it
>I don't like the keywords
It's always this surface level retard shit and never anything about how the language actually works or the issues it has under the hood. The only valid one that ever gets brought up is speed, which has gone through several major improvements lately; but also something I doubt is a problem for most people.
>>
>>100189047
there's bait and then there's the fact that python isn't good enough for anything but scripting
>>
>>100188888
Perl is the superior scripting language.
>>
PyChads we will be fast soon
>>
>>100188888
Checked. Also no competent hates Python. It's good for whipping up prototypes or for projects that need to be completed fast but they don't have to be quick at run time. It's never going to be fast enough for programs doing tens of thousands of requests a second, game engines, <insert some high throughput task here> but it's good enough for most things.
>>
>>100189093
It's a scripting language anon. If you want compiled Python use some shit like C# or Java and then do the needful.
>>
>>100189137
>C# and Java
>Python
these are incomparable things
>>
>>100189093
I use Python for a camera measurement software that supports multiple cameras. All the machine vision cameras come with a C/C++ API and Python bindings. The C/C++ API is always pain in the ass to setup while Python usually just works.
>>
>>100188888
Because it's a bad programming language with bad tools. It's probably one of the greatest damages ever inflicted on computing and if you had multiple braincells, you would see it too. Have you actually used python?
>>
>>100189125
>>100189117
>>
>>100189172
when you're done, they will get a C++ programmer to rewrite your code in C++, they will save both money in memory, CPU cycles, and not paying you a wage anymore, you've been warned.
>>
nothing, python is great
retards just want to feel elitist writing their fizz buzz in le C
>>
>>100189117
GIL makes your code faster, ironically. Good luck though. At least you'll have "real" threads and will suffer more pain as you pytoddlers learn the reality of multithreaded programming.
>>
>>100189187
when you're done, they will get an assembly programmer to rewrite your code in assembly, they will save both money in memory, CPU cycles, and not paying you a wage anymore Cnile, you've been warned :^)
>>
>>100189047
It isn't just about runtime speed. Python is also slow as fuck to startup, and it is VERY bloated, like 40 times larger than Lua.
Criticizing the "surface level retard shit" is justifiable because you Python retard hypocrites pile-on en masse to complain about Lua being 1-indexed.
Yes, it's superficial and a matter of personal preference.
Personally, 1-indexing doesn't bother me, whitespace syntax does.
>>100189117
Removing the GIL will not make it fast.
>>
>>100189206
One day you will understand that the "assembly programmer" is the same guy who simply values his time and doesn't inline any assembly until he finds a place where's no other choice.
>>
>>100189187
Companies don't rewrite shit. It's much easier to just buy a faster computer. Also it's a software that takes pictures once per second and not some game engine.
>>
File: oh no no no.gif (115 KB, 300x294)
115 KB
115 KB GIF
>>100189226
Yes, facebook never regretted using php and NEVER wrote a compiler that maps php shit code to dialect of C++ so it can be optimized by real compiler and be faster, they would never do this, they also didn't rewrite their mobile apps like 5 times, that also never happened. There's also no other companies other than facebook so it's an exception and not the rule, yeah.
>>
>>100189260
>moving goalposts
Yeah everyone is facebook with bazillions users lol
>>
>>100189260
Facebook had to do it because they had to serve hundreds of millions of clients. There's only a handful of companies like that.
>>
>>100188932
I'm not contrarian, YOU are
>>
>>100189275
>>100189284
I will assume python caused your brain damage and refrain from insulting you directly as it's not really your fault that you didn't know better and fell into this Kafkaesque trap by pure unluck.
>>
>>100188948
the fellowship of the miserable
perfect description of /g/
>>
>>100189047
>What is under the hood
Well what? Slow as fuck interpreter. Sonunder the hood, Python has nothing. Python is the shitbox of computer languages.
>>
>>100189452
Under the hood python has bad C code that makes Python slow.
>>
File: thinking frog.jpg (48 KB, 657x700)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>100188888
Why are machine learning libraries written in Python? Wouldn't you want backpropagation written in as low a language as possible?
>>
>>100189796
can you name one that's written in Python?
>>
>>100189796
I don’t think PyTorch is written in python. Also pythons pretty good at stuff like ML and Django is pretty goated.
>>
>>100188995
Yes, eat the poop saar
>>
>>100189111
c go perl
>>
>>100188995
retarded point but I see the flaw in my argument
python does have real world use cases where its use is better than an alternative
eating shit is always worse than eating food, there is no use case where shit makes sense as a food source
but maybe you should just eat shit, maybe im ignorant, dont knock it till you try it
>>
>>100189285
pfft, says YOU, of all people... I knew you'd show up eventually
>>
>>100189943
well, have you considered that from my own point of view, Python is like eating shit? Also there's plenty of bacteria that will happily eat shit and break it down so plants can reabsorb elements they need.
>>
>>100189307
Get a job first retard
>>
>>100189796
Python is calling C++ libraries in the background. Nu-/g/ is really retarded
>>
>>100190135
I already have a job, it's welding and more interesting than whatever Pyjeets do.
>>
>>100188888
It's a loud minority of complete fucking retards, most of whom don't actually write code
>>
>>100189972
>well, have you considered that from my own point of view, Python is like eating shit?
Could you explain why? I'm genuinely curious to hear you out, no sarcasm
>>
>>100190151
I'd rather use C++ to get compile time errors, speed, actual tooling, better OOP, better FP and default parameters that are not retarded
>>
>>100191268
GL trying to solve compile errors from torch without python lol
>>
File: snek.jpg (32 KB, 500x500)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>Python bad
Okay then what do I use for grabbing data from excel, transforming it and then putting it into new excel
>>
>>100191649
UM, C BECAUSE IT'S LITERALLY ALL YOU NEED UNLESS YOU'RE A CRINGE BLOATLORD????
>>
File: hundredAndFivePercent.jpg (5 KB, 300x230)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>100188888
>What makes it so bad?
Its not bad its just that no-coders cant engage in vicarious dick measuring with it.
>>
>>100188888
4chan is all about people shitting on the things they lack the skill to gain mastery of.
nocoders shit on programming languages (haha cnile), permagirgins shit on women (haha roastie), welfare neets shit on people support themselves (haha wagie).
here's the deal: it's ~50% shill bots, ~45% underage retards, schizos, and bitter trolls, ~4% banned redditors who only want to say nigger, and ~1% people who want to intelligently discuss real issues that are banned from discussion everywhere else.
>>
File: Born2Shit.jpg (59 KB, 550x467)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>100191833
I AM the 1%
>>
>>100191649
Uhh use Rust so it's memory safe. Since everything needs to be memory safe
>>
>>100191833
>haha cnile
I'm a senior dev and I say this. Being autistic and contrarian does not make you good, let alone competent. Kill yourself larper.
>>
>>100191268
no one is stopping you lol

>>100188888
dependency hell. getting the scrapers, ETL, databasing, ML, service, instrumentation to all agree on one set of dependencies is horrible.
>>
>>100191268
Why doesn't anyone do this, then? It sounds great!
>>
>>100189972
okay but you're probably a super leet h4x0r
python gets things done
simple as
not everyone is a no lifer coder who gives a shit about compiling times, some people are just wanting to get some work done and are happy for whatever to chug along as long as it easy to work with
also Indians aren't bacteria, and the original point was Indians are numerous and eat shit ergo eating shit is good
>bacteria
so now you're saying eating shit is good? you like eating shit, so you like using python because it's like eating shit? or something
>>
>>100188888
nice quints but try maintaining a moderately sized python code base and you'll get your answer
>>
>>100191910
You basically agreed with him while also proving his point.
>>
>>100191910
>i have credentials and ur dum
you are the ~45% (underage/schizo/retard/troll). Congratulations!
>>
>>100191998
I've never been laid off and got a 10k raise the day after Amazon laid off thousands of engineers. So unless both me and my bosses are completely delusional I am, empirically, way more competent than most of you fucking tards.
>>
because Python tards are the easiest to bully. there's only so much joy you can get out of embracing somebody who embraces their retardation like Golang tards or the mentally deranged Rusties, but the Python beginners are so insecure and abundant that they can be milked to the point of boredom
>>
>>100189117
>Let's introduce the GIL it prevent race conditions
...30 years later
>Let's remove the GIL and let everyone have race conditions because we can't figure out how to make real threading work
Retarded move.
>>
>>100192036
Sir this is an anonymous image board.
>>
>>100188888
I don't hate it, but it's not a good language, yeah it's pragmatic but it forces you to use exceptions for control flow.
>>
>>100191649
Cniles don't have a job bro
>>
>>100192036
>survivor bias
Sure thing retard
>>
>>100188888
>What makes it so bad?
Basically, PIPs on top of PIPs have made the language actually pretty complex compared to 2.7.
Python had some value as a dumb, grug-brained, simple, procedural language.
It's not that anymore. It's full of bloat.

I use Lua now.
>>
File: 1709904355904278.png (360 KB, 264x348)
360 KB
360 KB PNG
>>100192046
JAVA already solved the threading question though.
>>
They hate us cause they ain't us
>>
>>100192046
>let's solve an unsolvable problem with a brute force abstraction that makes sure something can go wrong that everything fucks up
the only way to solve a problem that is unsolvable in the general case is to solve it in the specific case. every single time. for every single specific. there is no programming language paradigm and certainly now out-the-box tool that will prevent people who do not understand concurrency to fuck things up
>>
>>100188888
>Why does /g/ hate Python so goddamn much?
Because it's easy to be productive with it.
>>
>>100192036

>>100192036

"i work at amazon" congrats retard, u work at the place everyone tries to leave

u proud of yourself
>>
>>100188980
This post perfectly encapsulates the nocoder complaints about python.
>>
>>100192273
Don't be jealous, sweaty.
>>
>>100192007
I can taste your retard tears from here
>>
>>100188888
Why does a board full of contrarian morons, NEETs who have never written anything over 1000 lines in their life, hate the most popular programming language on Earth? You tell me.
It's usually the most retarded criticism imaginable too: significant whitespace, double underscores, or other arbitrary syntactic shit that you get used to after 2 weeks and that has zero effect on the maintainability of non-trivial programs. Judging languages mostly on syntax immediately makes it obvious that you're talking to an overconfident beginner. They never reach for the legitimate issues that actually matter, like the fact that the Python language is almost entirely controlled by CPython people, who are ignorant of, dismissive of, or even hostile to alternative Python implementations, and who refuse to revamp the shitty C API that prevents other Python implementations from competing on a level playing field.
>>
>>100192273
What's with Gtards and lacking basic reading comprehension? Is it all the jeets?
>>
>>100192540
They are /b/uffoons that pick up a few details here and there to try and come across as tech/programming nerds and senior devs but are just techlet idiots that otherwise know nothing. Welcome to /g/.
>>
>>100189796
All the python libraries that handle this kind of shit are written in C or C++ and Python is just a wrapper for it that makes development much faster and easier. Keep in mind the majority of work with machine learning is NOT the code to train and output a model, it is actually the design and processing behind the data that you are using for this. Garbage in, garbage out
>>
>>100188888
Because it's overhyped meme garbage and a interpreted scripts they use to teach 14 years old as a joke
>>
>>100192279
You're a nocoder. You've never written a single line of code in your entire life. Pyjeet isn't a real language.
>>
>>100194313
Go kill yourself you worthless moron. All your complaints are retarded baby duck shit and you're just repeating nu-/g/ memes.
>>
>>100194301
>>100194313
Fucking die, incompetent niggers
>>
>>100188888
Python is designed (if you can call it that) to make the first 10% of working with it easy, at the cost of the 90% that come after that.
The longer you work with it, the more you come to hate it. That said, I still recommend it to many people because the first 10% of it are tremendously useful.
>>
>>100189210
Yeah, that's superficial. Lua is totally retarded, but not really because of 1-indexing.
>>
>>100189796
>Wouldn't you want backpropagation written in as low a language as possible?
It already is.
When you call an image manipulation function in Python, it's probably implemented in C. When you call a matrix math function, it may even be Fortran. When you train a neural network, it's probably backed by code written in Nvidia's variant of C++ that runs on GPUs, written by some autistic genius who knows how to squeeze the most computations out of it. Python is just acting as a sort of manager or conductor, giving orders to native code that actually does all the heavy lifting.
It's a bog-standard approach to software development: write the parts that need to be fast in C or C++; for the rest, use a high-level garbage-collected language that lets you be more productive and iterate faster. For machine learning it's CUDA C++ and Python, for Emacs it's C and Lisp, for Neovim it's C and Lua+Vimscript, for Quake-derived games it's C and QuakeC, for some other games it's C++ and Lua or C++ and C#, the list goes on.
>>
>>100188888
/g/ is allergic to anything that works or makes them more productive. They would rather have autistic meltdowns about various technical details rather than use a tool to rapidly accomplish a task. This is why they circlejerk around languages like C.
>>
>>100188888
nice digits, heil hitler, etc

nobody whos serious shits on it and lately I see more posts praising it than shitting on it so idk we must be browsing different boards

its best general purpose language when you just need to get something up and running quickly
it just werks
literally does everything except speed

the only people who shit on it are unemployed LARPers who spend more time forming and arguing their opinions on languages than actually using them
>>
>>100192557
yes
>>
>>100194313
>>100194765
subcontinentals overusing terms like "jeet" and "streetshitter" to deflect from themselves will never not be funny
you are a LARPer and you are brown
>>
>>100194765
>using the same retarded-sounding insult all the time
>seething this much about Python
Let me guess, are you Russian? They're always the biggest subhumans here.
>>
>>100188888
I don't hate it but I've never been inclined to use it.
>interpreted slow
>indentation instead of brackets
>doesn't really do anything special, just another way to do the same shit as every other language
>very high level, i like the speed/efficiency that can be had with lower level languages

>>100189047
>speed is surface level
>whitespace keywords are surface level
Nope. These are two of the worst unsolvable problems and they go straight to the heart of the language. You can't do away with indentation having meaning and affecting code execution without a change to the language, which raises issues for old code. And you can't do anything about performance as it's interpreted and, again, it would take a fundamental breaking language change to fix it.
>but they've improved performance!
And it's still shit.
>>
>all these no code LARPers in the thread saying the only criticisms are surface level shit
The idea was that per dollar spent you could get more productivity out of your wage slaves when you have them write in a retard language like python. Turns out this was not true. While python may be fast and cheap to write, companies are realizing python is actually very expensive maintain and deploy.

First of all python is a maintenance nightmare. Developers burn through so much time and cash fixing entire classes of bugs that don't even exist in other languages because they are simply caught at compile time. Not to mention dynamic typing and low skill of the general python developer leads python codebases to be unreadable clusterfucks.

Secondly, compute is priced in terms of execution time, memory usage, cpu usage, etc. Python, being such a slow and bloated poorly designed language obviously does terrible in all three regards. So companies are paying a high premium to run these bloated resource hungry python programs and don't even get to reap any of the benefits that all those resources would normally provide.

So yes, python is fast and easy to write. But code spends the vast majority of it's time either being maintained or being executed in deployment. So it's absolutely retarded to optimize for the least significant part of the lifecycle. This is why so many companies are rewriting their python codebases in better languages. They are dropping python to save money.

With all that said, python can be useful for writing one-off scripts and throw away utilities because these are only written once then never maintained or deployed.
>>
>>100189260
It depends on the size of the company and the need for the program. Some companies will slog along with Python. Some will treat it like a prototype and then implement in a faster, compiled language.
>>
>>100195046
>worst unsolvable problems
Whitespace is absolutely surface level and only takes a while to get used to. That you think it's a serious unsolvable problem shows that you're an absolute shit "programmer" who can't code, probably hasn't even finished his CS degree yet.
And Python can be JITed. Performance is being improved right now, and it could be radically improved without changing Python the language if we changed the C API. Calling languages "interpreted" is another sign of a Dunning-Kruger retard, because that's a property of the implementation rather than language.
>>
>>100195056
>First of all python is a maintenance nightmare. Developers burn through so much time and cash fixing entire classes of bugs that don't even exist in other languages because they are simply caught at compile time. Not to mention dynamic typing and low skill of the general python developer leads python codebases to be unreadable clusterfucks.
Use type annotations, retard. Imagine typing all that pseud shit to sound smart when you don't even know that there are Python typecheckers.
>>
>>100195056
>rewriting their python codebases in better languages
such as?
>>
>>100188995
this arguments holds true in popular things that everyone does
e.g. music, the most popular artists like Taylor Swift are utter trash, and good music comes from underrated artists
but for programming since you need an above average IQ to do it and more importantly because it is an actual job, popularity is more of an objective metric
if you want to buy a good tool for example, your best bet would be asking someone whose job is to use this tool
>>
>>100195056
I have a client that's rewriting a massive services (heavy forms I/O and reporting) web application in Python. I was brought on towards the end to do something specific database related. "Scalability" is a keyword for management and I don't have the heart to tell them that Python was the wrong choice. Their cloud costs are going to be astronomical. Their new team also missed a way to make it embarrassingly parallel. (Would have taken some additional work, but the functionality could easily be distributed across independent servers rather than one big db server feeding one big web server. This would be more secure too.) And...I think they will quickly be at the point where they should roll their own hardware rather than pay the cloud tax, which would be a lot easier if it was designed to take advantage of the embarrassingly parallel.

Maybe I can pitch and help them with the latter points, but Python will always be dragging it down.
>>
>what makes it so bad
Nothing, its the greatest programming language to exists. Some /g/ neckbeards hate it because they wasted years memorizing C leet code shit and are still jobless.
>>
>>100195086
>Whitespace is absolutely surface level and only takes a while to get used to.
It absolutely is not. Whitespace impacts code correctness and execution. And you cannot "get used to" invisible characters affecting your code. Brackets are used (almost) everywhere else because they are easy to spot, count, and verify. Whitespace by definition is not, not unless your code editor uses a marked glyph for it. And then it's still more difficult (more to see/count). It was a ridiculous choice.

>That you think it's a serious unsolvable problem shows that you're an absolute shit "programmer" who can't code, probably hasn't even finished his CS degree yet.
You're projecting. You are the person you describe, as you have clearly never tried to debug and verify something so horrendously stupid in a large, enterprise class code base. It seems fine as you're typing and going along. And then someone makes an innocent edit that's not caught until it blows up, after the edit was forgotten. And now you're looking for something invisible that bit you in the ass. Invisible/implicit is bad. Visible/explicit is good. That's at the heart of why statically typed/compiler verified languages/code are better in the long run.

>And Python can be JITed
When I called it's performance shit, I was thinking of the best possible implementation of it.

>Calling languages "interpreted" is another sign of a Dunning-Kruger retard, because that's a property of the implementation rather than language.
And here you expose your Dunning-Kruger retardation because whether or not a compiled version is possible depends on some of the language rules and features.
>>
>>100195280
>When I called it's performance shit, I was thinking of the best possible implementation of it.
nta but cpython is slow even by python standards. pypy performance is a decent compromise if you can get your shit to run on it
it's still kind of slow but kind of slow is better than abysmal
>>
>>100188888
>What makes it so bad?
There's an enormous amount of horrible shit under the covers, and it's WIDELY USED for doing "clever" tricks like type annotations and decorators and classes and thread management. Ugh.
The surface of Python is nice enough, but once you start writing classes or modules you're fucking doomed because the horrible bits start showing their ugly faces and spiked Louisville sluggers.
>>
>>100195309
I didn't want to even get into that. It's sufficient to point out that Python is slow and that slow has server/compute costs for any large scale enterprise apps and is also a problem with end user apps. You can get away with it sometimes, but this anon's post >>100195056 explains why you probably shouldn't try to get away with it.
>>
>>100188888
/g/ is full of retarded larpers
Python isn't perfect but it's extremely useful.
>>
>>100194878
Ok pyjeet. Now kill yourself.
>>100194950
You too.
>>
>>100188980
Sure, but none of that really matters. It's not ideal (some arguable) but it also causes very little difficulty unless you're tapping out python in notepad.exe.... You aren't doing that, are you anon?
>>
>>100195046
>And you can't do anything about performance as it's interpreted and, again, it would take a fundamental breaking language change to fix it.
I genuinely want these kinds of retards permabanned
>>
>>100195590
What makes it even useful?
>>Library for everything
Substandard API design in every library I have ever used, look at matplotlib
>>Bash replacement
You need to use special functions for calling shell commands and the command line parser API is shit too
>>Quick and dirty
I prefer quick and correct

I guess ChatGPT can shit out code for you thanks to the sheer amount of pajeets
>>
>>100195551
python IS shit for enterprise SWE, but this would be true even if it was reasonably fast. any python codebase that exceeds 20k lines or so will inevitably become unmaintainable even if you are anal retentive about using type hints, tests, etc.
most of the time i had to deal with perf issues in python it wasn't really a language bottleneck, it was because of dumbass juniors/jeets doing things in stupid and inefficient ways, which the pytard community openly encourages because it's "pythonic"
>>
>>100195668
Dishonest post. Matplotlib is the classic "retarded API" library. Nonetheless it's a very powerful library. Most python libraries have fine APIs.
>>
Is python single threaded or not? Can it do parallel processing? Different people tell me different things. We are writing a service that needs to consume and process hundreds of thousands of events per day (and it's likely to increase) and our tech lead has decided python is the best language to use, but the general consensus is python is a slow piece of single threaded shit that doesn't scale well and we'd be better off with java/c#/go
>>
>>100195801
yeah
>>
>>100195778
Idk about that, I see 10x as many python job postings as .Net postings

t. .net engoyneer
>>
>>100195801
Look into elixir or just use python. Java and C# won't do anything for you.

https://medium.com/coryodaniel/from-erverless-to-elixir-48752db4d7bc
>>
>>100188888
I don't like how Python code literally rots with time because of the ecosystem. Also dependency management is really brittle.
>t. works with legacy python 2 codebase
>>
>>100195667
>nooooo don't insult muh language REEEEE SEEEETHE
You go right ahead and show us a compiled version of Python that:
- Generates native binaries.
- Is as fast or nearly so as something like C++ or C#.
- Supports all language features/rules, i.e. you don't need to do anything to your code to spit out that compiled binary.

>>100195778
That too.

>>100195801
You would be better off with C#, C++, Go, etc.
>>
>>100196021
I'm not going to engage with you. Have fun rolling in shit with the other pigs.
>>
>>100195801
>thousands of events per day
What the fuck is wrong with you that you think Python is a problem with this. A toaster could deal with that
>>
>>100196021
Oh and before you seethe, yes I know C# is a JIT. But the way the language, bytecode output, and JIT are designed it actually fucking performs. Not as fast as C or C++, but a hell of a lot better than Python. It was designed to be compiled from the outset, MS just put a layer in between so nobody had to manage binaries for different ISAs.
>>
>>100196046
Thank you for conceding.
>>
>doing things in stupid and inefficient ways
>pythonic
lol exactly. Like using exceptions for control flow.

>>100195801
Short Answer: Don't use Python.

Long Answer:
Yes Python can spawn multiple threads but there's a mutex protecting access to the bytecode interpreter which only one thread can acquire at a time. So the other threads just sleep not getting any work done while only one thread actually gets to execute. So no parallelism with threads. Of course you could just fork the process and achieve parallelism that way, but each process obviously forks an entire copy of the interpreter, and due to the nature of reference counted garbage collection, copy-on-write is rendered useless, so all the py objects in memory get copied over as well, even if you think you are never touching them. So you're essentially just creating another heavyweight Python program with a large memory footprint. The other option is to write bindings in a non-garbage collected language like C++, call out to there, then you could spawn as many threads from C++ as you'd like. But there's overhead in bringing in another language and toolchain into a project.

Basically Python just sucks for anything non-trivial.
>>
>>100196114
One of my favorite (niche) languages for desktop GUI business apps and RAD one-off tools is cooperatively threaded. It's compiled to native binary but they just have not made key portions of their runtime re-entrant. So you can have threads to keep the GUI going but you're not actually taking advantage of multiple cores.

However...
- Fans of the language will tell you this up front. They don't defend it, they all want a version that fixes this.
- There's framework support for launching/managing worker processes.
- Those processes are lightweight (no GUI framework; no interpreter), actually make sense sometimes, and aren't a complete cluster fuck where threading would be better.
>>
>>100195280
You are actually counting brackets instead of having your editor indent things and looking at the indentation? Lmao, you're even more of a nocoder moron than I thought. Imagine not just focusing on such a trivial and unimportant thing, but also manually counting braces. And no, the FizzBuzz you wrote in your bedroom doesn't count as enterprise software.
>whether or not a compiled version is possible depends on some of the language rules and features.
You can compile or interpret pretty much anything, moron. It's just a question of effort, and anyone who says "compiled language" or "interpreted language" is a retard who should not be allowed to use a computer.
>>
>>100195616
i hope you die in a fire, you worthless moron. you should have been aborted
>>
>>100188888
/g/ shits on everything, it's the boards nature.
>>
>>100195801
It's not single threaded, but it has a global lock which makes multi-thread performance disappointing unless your task is IO-bound. Python concurrency that needs significant CPU power is usually done with separate processes that communicate.
A million per day is roughly 11/second, that's not a lot and Python should be fine for that. But if it's likely to increase by orders of magnitude, consider Java instead. Regardless, your database will probably be just as important, or more important, than the programming language.
>>
>>100196595
>you have to check shit when something goes wrong???
>even other people's shit???
>HURR NOCODER
Oh the fucking irony. Come back when you've been employed.

>You can compile or interpret pretty much anything, moron.
Yet Python is dog slow with no compiler, moron.
>>
>>100196675
Yes but it's still a matter of implementation not language, you absolute unemployed retard.
And how does indentation make it harder to check stuff? It makes it easier, because in languages that use braces the logic can be out of sync with the indentation, fooling your eyes, while in Python it can't. You are a total baby duck moron who has never programmed anything. All your "arguments" are stupid.
>>
>>100192279
i am a nocoder and i don't care about indents. chatgpt fixes it when i cannot
>>
>>100197123
>"it's just the implementation"
>no compiled implementations exist
You could make a compiled Python. It would break some code.

>"and how is it harder to see invisible characters?"
LMFAO
>>
>>100189047
Broken/nonexistent dependency management
Impossible to install without admin privileges on some platforms
May randomly break backwards compatibility at any time
Mutable default arguments
Countless other bad design decisions that you already know about but
>>
>>100197208
>>"and how is it harder to see invisible characters?"
>LMFAO
So you are an utter worthless moron with zero argument, as expected. You really should kill yourself, nocoder spammer.
>>
>>100188888
>What makes it so bad?
nothing, this board is full of retards. anybody who bitches about syntax isn't a real programmer. syntax is a signature beginner complaint.
>>
Same reason as we hate ubuntu. Its nice and sometimes we all use it. But there are better technologies if you just learn a little bit about how it works.
>>
>ballsack = scrotum.nigger().migger().digger()
> gonad = ballsack.wigger().jigger().bigger()
> testicle = gonad.rigger().zigger().ligger().higger()
Code turns into a clusterfuck at some point.
Though this might just be an issue with OOP, I don't know, Python is the only OOP language I've used so far.
>>
>>100198608
>there are better technologies
Name one scripting language with better libraries and tooling
>>
>>100192540
It's simply just shit and it's overrated garbage. Simple as. Facts and straight truth.
How about you shove python up your ass? faggot.
>>
File: python logo.png (46 KB, 320x256)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
>>100195801
> our tech lead has decided python is the best language to use
LMAO
>>
>>100188888
>why does the jobless NEET board hates [highly employable language used by several people who have a job]
gee I don't know, maybe ask in the nearest Cnile thread
>>
>>100195801
you should be using go
yes you can use multiprocessing in python but its not ideal
>>
>>100198640
Most languages don't do OOP well, but Python is famous for sucking at it.
>>
>>100196595
Brackets let you autoformat and any decent editor will autoclose them for you, you can't do either of them with whitespace
>>
>>100198671
JavaScript
>>
>>100195175
>webshit
>above average IQ
get a load of this faggot
>>
>>100190578
>no reply
el classico
>>
Implying anons don't hate on everything
>>
>>100200372
do I really have to explain to you why I don't eat shit?
>>
>>100200394
Not the anon you are replying to. I am curious aswell. This reply seems like a strawman. We want to know why it's shit to you, brother
>>
python is too useful and makes you too productive, you can't brag about writing python in your tranny laintard discord server
>>
>>100201005
because it is shit, in fact in real world I didn't ever have to taste my own shit to know that I shouldn't eat it
>>
>>100188888
>Why do nocode larpers hate the thing that helps real workers get things done?
The answer is really in the question itself
>>
>>100201045
>>100200394
I was hoping for a technical answer, not a feminine emotional shit-fit.
If you really think decisively that python is so shitty, then it should be pretty straight-forward to explain why. Being specific with your criticisms would've been much faster than leaving a half dozen replies in the first place.
>>
>>100203714
>>100188888
Anon heard it's shit and believed it. Python sucks in a lot of areas, but it's good in its purpose:
>Python is an interpreted, object-oriented, high-level programming language with dynamic semantics. Its high-level built in data structures, combined with dynamic typing and dynamic binding, make it very attractive for Rapid Application Development, as well as for use as a scripting or glue language to connect existing components together. Python's simple, easy to learn syntax emphasizes readability and therefore reduces the cost of program maintenance. Python supports modules and packages, which encourages program modularity and code reuse. The Python interpreter and the extensive standard library are available in source or binary form without charge for all major platforms, and can be freely distributed.
- What is Python? Executive Summary (https://www.python.org/doc/essays/blurb)

Thus, use python when it's the best tool for your use case, otherwise use another language. Don't use a knife to scoop, nor a spoon to cut.

>b-but
I know it sucks, but nothing perfect. Move on anon, it's just a tool.
>>
>>100194579
Good post anon.
>>
>>100188888
Incredible digits
>>
>>100198640
what the fuck are you talking about. your shit looks more like what functional programming is. no one professional does shit like that in python.
>>
>>100189796
the machine learning is for pajeet student's, they need easy script language that calls C/C++ libraries.
>>
File: 1690326232397300.png (443 KB, 530x535)
443 KB
443 KB PNG
anything python does C# does 10x faster and better.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.