[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714157655025.png (256 KB, 1023x738)
256 KB
256 KB PNG
>latest edition is from 2021
What is taking them so long for a refresh? Is there even any news on a 2024 version?
>>
>>100192817
Must consoom
>>
*kindle paperweight
Ftfy
>>
>>100192953
Ah yes the brain dead baboon made the most low hanging fruit wordplay that mentally disabled children already made in 2007
>>
>>100192817
Kobo Clara BW is coming out in 4 days and has the best e-ink screen
Kindle is locked down and outdated since the entire original team behind it quit after bozo left
>>
>>100193159
I'm glad you found it amusing.
>>
>>100192940
Fpbp.
>>
Hello, I need to buy an ebook reader for a friend, who'll be reading exclusively pirated books on it, and needs to support as many ebook formats as possible.
Which one would you suggest me?
>>100193196
>Kobo
I see that's one of the more poplar brand, do you approve it for purchase?
>>
>>100193580
depends on what size you want, but yes, get a Kobo, they read almost any formats natively. cbz, epub, pdf, etc, all work. they're also easy to install custom apps on like Koreader
kindles suck at doing both of those things
>>
>>100193613
>depends on what size you want
As long as it's not excessively small or too big, anything's fine
> get a Kobo, they read almost any formats natively. cbz, epub, pdf, etc, all work. they're also easy to install custom apps on like Koreader
>kindles suck at doing both of those things
Ok, I'll wait for the Clara BW since it's out in few days then.
>>
>>100193580
The first gen Oasis is objectively the best e-reader ever made. Second/third gen is e-waste with a battery that is literally impossible to replace because you'll shatter the screen trying to get it out.

There's no point buying Kobo. You'll pay 3-4x more for no actual features of value, calibre can convert all formats just fine and takes about 2 seconds to batch convert before upload. My Oasis was 50 bucks, you'll pay about 200 bucks for a Kobo that is inferior.
>>
>>100193657
>The first gen Oasis is objectively the best e-reader ever made. Second/third gen is e-waste with a battery that is literally impossible to replace because you'll shatter the screen trying to get it out.
Are those easy to find, or are too old now?
On Ebay maybe?
>>
>>100193656
even size is subjective kek. I find my 8" Sage too small because I mostly read manga on it. I'd love to get an Elipsa instead but it doesn't have a 300ppi display and lacks the physical buttons
I also have a Glo HD (6") and the format's pretty good to take with you outside. the Clara BW is the same size and resolution as that one, so pretty good if you read mostly text and want to take it with you anywhere
>>
>>100193744
>even size is subjective kek. I find my 8" Sage too small because I mostly read manga on it.
Like I said, the reader is not for me, but my friend said he was gonna read exclusively books on it, not comics or manga.
>I'd love to get an Elipsa instead but it doesn't have a 300ppi display and lacks the physical buttons
I see....
>the Clara BW is the same size and resolution as that one, so pretty good if you read mostly text and want to take it with you anywhere
Well, +1 for the Clara BW then.
>>
>>100193734
You should never buy a kindle new, the whole point of buying a kindle is taking advantage of it being popular and thus bought primarily by retards who never use it and wind up throwing it up on ebay for 50 bucks a few years later.

It's why they're the best value, because there's not much of a second hand market for the less popular devices, which means you'll be paying 200 bucks.
>>
>>100192817
There is no new eink screen for Amazon to use in a new generation.
Even if they wanted to launch new hardware, it'd be exactly the same as the current gen with maybe a slightly faster cpu, which nobody cares about
>>
>>100193830
I'll check for used kindles too before making my decision then.
>>
>>100193857
>There is no new eink screen for Amazon to use in a new generation.
Amazon hasn't released any Carta 1300 devices yet.
>>
>>100192817
kindle deletes all of your books if you sideload
you will own nothing and you will be happy
>>
>>100193656
I have no idea what size the Clara bw is, but mind you that 6-7 inch is too small to read pdfs. You need 8.
>>
>>100193868
Isn't carta 1300 available at 10"+ only?
>>
>>100194052
8" isn't much better.
13" is what you really want.
>>
>>100194127
No, Clara BW has Carta 1300.
>>
>>100193868
also Kobo is releasing color e-ink versions of the Libra and Clara. I would imagine that a color kindle is in the works which is why there hasnt been an update yet.
>>
>>100194128
8 is fine. I'm sorry you're blind.
>>
>>100193613
So on Kobo is it only useful for pirated books? How do I read my books purchased on Kindle, Google Books, Everand, or my local library’s ereader app such as Libby or Overdrive.
>>
>>100194164
I wouldn't bet on it. Amazon has been slow in adopting various aspects for e-readers.
We'll also have to see how well the Kobo Colour perform in terms of sales.
>>
>>100194228
Kobo has a store. You would need to download and possibly de-drm your books from other places, and then sideload them onto the Kobo. Libby/Overdrive is native to Kobo so you can get access that directly on the device
>>
>>100194255
Indeed, outside of the display...there isnt much to update on the Paperwhite, especially the Signature. Its just about as feature complete as a device like this needs to be.
>>
>>100192817
ereaders have been good enough since the Kindle 3 a decade ago, and they got as close as perfect as current markets allow since the Kobo Clara HD
>>
>>100194293
You can always use faster processors, more RAM, expandable memory etc. Buttons, simply replaceable battery are also something users look for. Note taking features are more popular in larger sizes but 6.8" note taking devices aren't unheard of.
>>
>>100194366
The Clara HD was just a Glo HD with colored front light.
>>
>>100194428
the colored frontlight was the last improvement on ereaders
>>
>>100194476
Colored frontlight was a pointless gimmick.
>>
Is there any hope for epaper technology?
Are we already at the point of diminishing returns and staganation, or will there be a breakthrough that brings us sub 100ms refresh times and/or more than 65000 colors?
>>
Went from carta 1k to 1.2
now we go from 1.2 to 1300
They're really struggling. Doesn't look like they've fixed the actual buttons. I own a Forma and dont see a reason to upgrade.
>>
>>100195331
E-INK has essentially taken the whole market, nobody is interested in any of the other technologies that are objectively superior. It's like how LCDs superseded plasma and CRTs, despite both of those technologies being superior.

The reason? Cost. E-ink displays are the cheapest, crappiest garbage you can buy. Perfect for worthless devices sold at a premium.
>>
refresh for what exactly
>>
>>100195529
You do know e-ink company holds all the important patents, don't you?
Other companies can't even try to enter the market yet
>>
whats there to refresh?? this is so fucking stupid
>>
>>100192817
>2024
>still no 4k 144hz colored e-ink monitor
>>
>>100195622
>You do know e-ink company holds all the important patents,
Yes, that's how they work. Any time a competitor comes up with something that might be able to compete with them, they gobble it up, because they have a monopoly and can just buy out the competition.
>>
>>100193613
Absolute boggles me that Amazon profusely refuses to give kindle native epub support. I know there are work arounds to get epubs on there but they could wipe kobo off the map if they just added native support
>>
>>100192817
onyx tab x never connected to any radio
pretty comfy
only weird navigation when copying from a dekstop (filesystem weird but it's ok)

is there a way to do filesystem nav without swiping? just wanna press. Need other filesystem viewer but i refuse to connect directly to WAN
>>
>>100193580
Get the Kobo Clara bw
>>
>>100197667
Yeah, I'll order it when it comes out.
>>
>>100196263
Especially since, they could still DRM epub. Barnes and Noble has DRM epubs so Amazon could easily do that too.
>>
File: 1686553214014767.jpg (55 KB, 1002x797)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>100192940
>never improve
>>
>>100192817
Testing the water with Scribe probably.
I personally don't want another refresh to release unless the next Paperwhite already comes with the same screen size as Scribe of bigger.
2021 Paperwhite sucks for manga.
>>
>>100198449
They have different size devices for different uses. Your desire is the equivalent of wanting the next Toyota Corolla to be a pickup truck. Get a device that is good at manga, dont complain when you got the wrong device
>>
>>100195622
>e-ink company holds all the important patents
most of the innovation comes from China though are they affected as well? I thought China didn't give much of a shit for patents unless you have a subsidy in the country.
>>
>>100195331
We've had refresh rates of 15 Hz, which translates to 70ms refresh speed for a while now. Localized refreshes for not taking have response rates under 20ms.
For more colors they'd need to up the number of shades of grey, though achieving 32k with 32 shades of grey is more probable.
Gallery 3 turned out to be a failure so non-filtered color readers aren't on the horizon for now. We'll have to see if Spectra becomes usable for things beyond signage.
>>
>>100199281
There are various manufacturers producing e-paper displays but it's all about electronic shelf labels. Very few produce larger panels that could be used in e-readers since there's less money to get there.
We saw Display Electronic Slurry brought up as an alternative but it just wasn't usable.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.