[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images.png (4 KB, 225x225)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
Is Proton VPN a good free VPN?

What's a good free VPN?
>>
>>100193600
>good
>free
pick one. you want free? you get slow.
>>
why would somebody make a good VPN for free? what's the product? I know loss leaders are a thing, but I don't really see how that would work if the base product wasn't either predatory or an outright scam
>>
>>100193645
Same reason they host their basic email for free, to hope people will pay for the better version that costs money. They're pretty up front about the fact that their paid users are footing the bill for the free users.

Some things to be aware of that they don't tell you up front for the free Proton VPN is that you can't do any P2P traffic, your speed will drop to under 1mbps if the server you're trying to use is busy, and don't queue up any large direct downloads since they regularly bounce you to different servers without telling you which disconnects you for a few seconds when it happens and will cancel the download if it's being done through most browsers
>>
>good
It's good enough for watching streams, as long as you're willing to server hop.
The catch is that you can forget about torrenting on the free version, and also you have fewer servers to pick from.
>>
>>100193600
It used to be good, because you had unlimited bandwidth and you could choose location from three countries (USA, France, and Japan). I used it to buy stuff from Japan I needed VPN to buy, and to read manga on viz that was only available to people in the US.
They changed this a couple of months ago and now you can't select server, so the main reason for using proton vpn is gone. Now it's just one of the many. Since I'm European, I get connected to the French servers that doesn't help at all, and I really don't have any use for it any more.
I haven't used it for torrenting or streaming, apparently torrenting isn't possible (duh), but streaming is possible as long as you can accept lower bandwidth.
>>
Using it right now, its good.
Japan/US/Nederland server available.
Good speed usually just switch server if it isnt.
Use official client on Windows and wireguard profile on linux.
Not sure what to say, if it actually makes sense to use a VPN for you (so you cleared every other likely way of being tracked other than IP) it functions as expected.
Oh yeah can only connect on one PC at the same time for free.
If you can't pay for one Proton is the one to use, tho if I felt like wasting time on localmonero i'd pay up for Mullvad instead.
I'd pay for Proton (for the mail primarily which i dont use at all currently) if they supported any non botnet payment methods.

>>100193645
I wonder if running a VPN is even that expensive to begin with maybe its that just all the other services are scams and paying for it is only normalized by it being the default business model for them since their inception instead of like with email where it used to be free so now it needs to stay free just because of expectations.

>>100195091
I assume thats only for new accounts or maybe with a new client, I had issues with the new windows client a while back so im not upgrading the one I have until it forces me to, I use hundreds of gigs per month just fine.
>>
>>100195366
No, I had a couple of years account, and it got switched to not being able to select a couple of months back. So they're most likely switching all users over to automatic server selection sadly. More or less the only reason I used it vanished overnight.
Having said that, now I just read the manga from viz at comick or mangasee, and I haven't had issues with buying from Japan without vpn in a while. I think it's mostly when you buy old magazines or something.
>>
>>100193600
In 2024 free vpn means shit vpn. You can thank the trolls.
>>
>>100195815
The free proton vpn was really good and useful, but they ruined it couple of months ago. It was too good to be true I guess.
>>
>>100195756
Not sure then, I've heard a couple people complain but it still works perfectly for me and they still advertise unlimited bandwidth. You sure its not a bug or it outright tells you need to upgrade? Don't know its weird I hope they don't take mine away.
>>
>>100196011
no, I used to have the ability to manually select, but now when I use it I get a log in message that said that it now selected the one closest to me that's the quickest. they're probably doing it to all accounts over time.
>>
>>100196000
>was
this
>>
File: 1714173409987.gif (3.24 MB, 480x400)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB GIF
>>100193600
>Proton
>>
>>100196000
>but they ruined it couple of months ago. It was too good to be true I guess.
what happened?
>>
>>100193600
there isn't a good free one
any free vpn will fuck you
>>
>>100196264
You can’t select country manually anymore, so using it for accessing stuff only available in the US or in Japan idn’t possible anymore. So it got more or less useless overnight.
It’s still unlimited bandwidth though. But I just get the servers in the netherlands. So I can’t use ut for anything anymore really.
>>
>>100196011
NTA, but when trying to use the app on my phone it told me my version was no longer supported and I needed to upgrade, the new version imposed the restrictions. It was about a year since I last updated, so maybe versions that are more recent but still from before they neutered it still work for now.
>>
>>100193600
it became nigh useless since they removed the country picker
such a retarded move
but no there's no such thing as a good free vpn
that said, proton's paid vpn is among the best and worth the investment
>>
>>100196056
Switzerland is outside five/nine/fourteen eyes countries, retard-kun.
>>
>>100198148
Months old windows client works fine for me, theres also wireguard and openvpn profiles for every server on the site, works fine on Linux so you could try that.

Personally I wouldn't care too much for country selection, sometimes its nice but 99% of the time I just want to browse without leaking my real IP all over the place and for that it should be still good.
>>
>>100198308
>theres also wireguard and openvpn profiles for every server on the site, works fine on Linux so you could try that.
Suppose that would be an option. Doubt they'll bother blocking unofficial clients for the free version either as long as not too many people start to use it as a bypass. Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
prostovpn.org + openvpn
just for 1$, it's not that expensive
>>
>>100193600
>is protonvpn a good free vpn
No
>any good free vpns
No

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.