[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

4GB ram / 128GB SSD / Integrated AMD Graphics / 2 core CPU AMD

I want to start by saying that windows is now like an annoying liability to me. I never want to use windows ever again and I dread the day that I have to use some damned software that simply cannot run on Linux for whatever reason. Windows is THAT bad. My biggest problem with windows is bloat and inefficiency.

I have not suffered at all in the software department. Every single M$ specific program has a linux counterpart, and they are usually twice as capable as their Micro$oft counterpart. I'm using a Debian distribution so there's been a tailor made installer waiting for me 90% of the time that I wanted to use a certain software. Pisscord? Debian installer right next to the windows installer. Just click "install". Retro Minecraft? yes. Google Chrome? yes. Microsoft Edge? yes. MS paint clone? yes. on, and on, and on. The ONLY thing I can't get right for the life of me is an autohotkey program. They exist but the most popular one requires decent proficiency in Python. Overall, I've had NO problems "getting it done".

I've also not had any problems in figuring out what to do or where to go (thanks Cinnamon). Modern Linux unironically feels better to use than Windows. I also haven't had any problems with crashing or freezing except with this one crappy MS Paint clone. (1 crashing program out of 30 installed). Actually, it seems hard to break, I purposefully put it through the ringer by opening and closing programs right in the middle of operation and the OS doesn't react at all.

Fricken thing was easier to install than windows too. Windows seems to be rather choosy with what hardware it will except while Linux boots right up into a temporary OS on anything with a CPU. Then you can choose whether to permanently install or keep it temporary. It seems to be designed with the user in mind, rather than with profits in mind.

I hope I don't find any dealbreakers because I don't want to go back to winbloats.
>>
>>100199088
>4GB ram / 128GB SSD / Integrated AMD Graphics / 2 core CPU AMD
are you even living bro
>>
I absolutely hate Ubuntu users, /g/. I have never seen a group of people be so smug about something so stupid. Oh big fucking deal, you can use a newbie GNU/Linux distro. You’re not some elite hacker, faggot. Why don’t these
people man up and use a real distribution? I don’t get it. Why waste your time with Ubuntu at all? I mean, it’s not like you learn anything by using it. Everything has a GUI interface, updates are easy to get, and you don’t have to do anything on the command line if you don’t want to. What is this faggot shit? Ubuntu is too easy and it’s bringing complete retards into our GNU/Linux secret club. Why do we put up with this shit at all?

If you can’t sharpen your teeth on and use a real distribution, then you don’t deserve to use GNU/Linux at all.

Only superior computer users should be using a GNU/Linux operating system. Faggots and retards can stick to Windows or a Mac. I really think that you should be subject to an IQ test before you’re allowed to download a GNU/Linux distribution. Anyone under a 130 IQ should be rejected and told to never return. Even after the IQ test, if a person passed, they should be made to take a programming test. If they can’t write some simple programs in C, LISP, and Prolog they should be rejected. No exceptions.

What do you say, /g/? Are you with me? I’m sure rms would agree with me.
>>
>>100199106
cringe
>>
>>100199106
based
>>
File: linux4186716814.jpg (1020 KB, 650x4377)
1020 KB
1020 KB JPG
>>100199106
kek
>>
>>100199238
I used to harbor this sentiment but after Plasma 6 broke all my shit I have been hopping between i3 and dwm and realizing that "ease of use" is just like "no child left behind."
>>
>>100199106
it just werks
>>
been daily driving cinnamon for a few days now, (i'm a windowsfag) besides some issues with pulse audio i haven't gotten the opportunity to tinker with much. i can play games, listen to music, watch anime, etc just fine, i know there's more to learn but i just don't do much else with my time. what can i do to expand my knowledge? things i can learn just for the fuck of it. what about building a server? maybe learning other distros? i'm kind of at a loss. any advice welcomed.
>>
>>100199608
just watch youtube videos about linux lol. Like, the history of it and how to install gentoo.
>>
>>100199608
Make it a challenge and spend an entire day doing everything from the command line. That will teach you. You don't need to distro hop just yet (that's a huge rabbit hole), just learn the ins and outs of your current system.

As an additional challenge you could learn to compile your software rather than use the binaries or the package manager. Remember, ALL Linux distros are the same at their core, there is nothing you can do on a "power user" distro that you can't also do on a "newbie" distro.

If you see some Arch user describing how they can compile everything from source, customize their system to their needs, or do this or that, remember you can do the exact same thing on Mint. It's just less intuitive, but probably more rewarding. You can be a Mint power user.
>>
>>100199608
Just keep using it. you will run into issues and be forced to learn. The best way to learn allot with linux is to have a use case for a server. Install Ubuntu server and ssh into it and do everything in the terminal. That is the big leap. Allot of people are scared of such an environment, its why unraid is a company.
>>
>>100199652
>You can be a Mint power user.
With the additional safety blanket that if you mess up, you can just go back to using the GUI again.
>>
>>100199088
>>100199608
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKX29fJ8U2Y
>>
File: 1641574766284.jpg (45 KB, 540x540)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>100199608
Your issue with pulse audio is probably due to the autosuspend module, just go to the configuration file and put a # in front of it so it doesn't load by default.
Cinnamon just needs a more mature Wayland implementation, otherwise it's the best DE for someone coming from Windows.
Everything is logically laid out, the defaults are sane, and unlike a lot of other DEs it's always moving in a better direction.
Gnome and KDE often take two steps forward and one step back, sometimes a lot more steps backwards than forwards.
>>
>>100199608
Like the others said, follow a tutorial and use the command line. The first time my NVIDIA graphics driver fucked up and I had to uninstall from TTY was a pretty great learning experience
>>
>>100199699
newbies massively underestimate how fixable ganoo/linux is and are used to just reinstalling the OS like with consoomer windows.
also: KEEP THE INSTALL USB. most distro install media can be used as rescue disks
>>
>>100199683
>Constantly saying retarded arbitrary shit as normative when he's clearly not even convinced himself
>Removes ls color alias from bashrc, builds exa from source to get colors back
>Possibly was expecting Firefox theme to theme websites
Not his best work.This is a glorified how to set up keyboard shortcuts in Cinnamon tutorial.
>>
>>100199088
>unironically
Faggot lingo
>>
File: 1711851866197091.jpg (33 KB, 625x626)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>100199106
>don’t deserve to use GNU/Linux at all.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.