[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Asian girl10.jpg (209 KB, 1108x1478)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>be /g/
>love debian
>hate ubuntu
they're literally the same though, aside from having some different default software and desktop environment that you can easily change as desired. Why love one and hate the other when they are literally the same?
>>
Look and feel of an os is a thing, retard.
>>
>>100200090
>different repos
>different policies
>different corporate structure
>different goals
>literally the same
bruh, do you even compute
>>
>>100200109
Then you hate gnome (or whatever de current ubuntu uses) and the default software, you dont hate ubuntu itself.
There are ubuntu variants such as kubuntu xubuntu lubuntu etc that have a completely different look and feel to default ubuntu.
Yes default ubuntu has an absolute shit look and feel, but that doesnt warrant hating all ubuntu variants.
>>
>>100200159
>different repos
You just mean different default repos, correct? All of the same repos are available if you add them manually?
>different policies and structure
What specifically do you dislike about ubuntu's policies and corporate structure?
>>
File: 1703251234620204.png (168 KB, 401x349)
168 KB
168 KB PNG
>>100200159
Literally this. It's a whole different philosophy and team.
It is just dumb to say they're the same, even if you like Ubuntu.
>>
>>100200186
>default repos
what does this even mean? they each have an entirely different set of repos. just because one periodically syncs from another (and then applies a ton of changes on top) means nothing

>politics and structure
i didn't say i disliked them. i'm refuting your point that these two distros are literally the same. canonical's goals are vastly different to the debian community's
>>
>>100200204
I dont like default ubuntu as it ships because it has a bad de and bad default software, but the whole point of linux is to be able to change that stuff to one's liking.
>>
>>100200163
>you dont hate ubuntu itself.
Except he does, since Ubuntu's brain damage is largely specific to it. Linux users who use snaps but not Ubuntu are almost unheard of, even though snap is technically available in other distros.
>>
>>100200249
Ok so he/you hate default ubuntu but not xubuntu kubuntu etc. So you dont really hate ubuntu you just hate default ubuntu
>>
>>100200215
>what does this even mean?
Add-apt-repository can be used to add a repo that you dont already have by default
>i didn't say i disliked them.
ok well what policies/structure makes some people hate ubuntu?
>>
>>100200090
>based on === the same
neck yourself
also, what's with the anti debian spam today? /g/ can't handle good software?
>>
>>100200314
>change the desktop environment to your preferred desktop environment (as you should regardless of if you start with ubuntu or debian)
>remove software you dont want, add software you do want (as you should regardless of if you start with ubuntu or debian)
Congrats now you have literally the same thing regardless of which you started with
I am not an anti debian shill btw, I think debian and ubuntu are great (although default ubuntu with its default settings/de/software is shit but thats beside the point, its supposed to be customized)
>>
>>100200270
I hate snap so much it's unreal.
>>
>>100200351
I use an ubuntu variant and I never use snap, in fact I have so little interest in snap that I dont even know how to use snap, I use apt-get and dpkg to install my software
>>
>>100200392
You must have installed your web browser from a third party source. Canonical refuses to ship them except through their insane, broken and proprietary mechanism.
>>
>>100200446
sudo apt-get install firefox

What am I missing?
>>
>>100200510
snap list
>>
>>100200090
>Why love one and hate the other when they are literally the same?
Because /g/ is populated by morons.
>>
>>100200532
Firefox doesnt show up, I didnt get firefox through snap
>>
>>100200090
ubuntu has done some shady shit in the past so that some people will never trust it again. currently, yeah debian and ubuntu are pretty much the same so you might as well use debian since they haven't tried to fuck their users over like ubuntu did. also i don't think debian is particularly loved by /g/ given its maintainers are pretty woke. it's tolerated at best but the hivemind will push you towards arch over debian
>>
>>100200615
That's great, it means you're not using Ubuntu.
>>
>>100200615
Then you're
A: lying
B: not using the latest Ubuntu
C: manually disabled snap
>>
>>100200090
>>100200090
I love east asian women so much, why do they look so innocent and erotic at the same time bros? Also /g/ is retarded and you shouldn't trust anything they say, in terms of distros both Ubuntu and Debian are same dogshit, stick to Fedora.
>>
>/g/ is retarded and you shouldn't trust anything they say
Exhibit A: >>100201744

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.