[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Mainting arch proved to be too hard for me, I am using it for two years and haven t updated it since last summer, when I managed to break it.
Going back to debian seems a good option but I love the AUR and the freedom arch provides. When I installed arch, I thought I will just build stuff on top and that slowly I will have a functional system, but pacman does whatever pacman wants(or I don t know how to use it), and a lot of stuff needs installing manually and that also messes with things and there also is much documentation for every little applet.
I still don t have things like a printing app, Bluetooth, wine or an ui for things like shutdown and sleep.
There also is the question if I should install the majority of things to be available only to me or to the whole system.
If I reinstall arch is there any online guide/list for all the things you should add after installation?
Thank you for listening to my blog post, I promise it will be the last one.
picrel is my shitty rice(as you can see I haven t added a shortcut for print screen)
>>
>>100411109
>is arch worth it
does it have specific features you want or need? or are you just using it because "arch lol"
>>
>>100411109
I honestly never got how do people struggle it with arch. I switched to it right after ubuntu 2 years ago and I didn't have any serious problems, at least none that took more than 2 days to fix. RTFM
>>
>>100411109
>anton22@basedcomputer
MacOS, go next
>>
>>100411154
uuugghghg reading is hard and desu i don t do anything all day long and only need to use firefox
whenever i have a problem it affects my life to little for me to solve it
but what do you do with specific dependencies, do you keep them or remove them after installation?
and do you install most of your apps only for your user or everything?
>>
>>100411375
>uuugghghg
FAGGOT!
>>
>>100411109
Manjaro
>>
>>100411109
>I am using it for two years and haven t updated it since last summer, when I managed to break it.
That's the problem. You're supposed to upgrade it regularly. At most once every two weeks but I recommend upgrading it once a week at least. If you're not the kind of person that likes to update often, you should use a different distro like Debian where you won't get frequent updates.
>>
>>100411761
i thought about it but heard that it is broken
>>100411834
i know, i sometimes don t use it for like a month and that s when problems appeared, but getting stuff to work on debian seemed harder than on arch, but perhaps i didn t know as much back then, i still don t know much
what do you think about gentoo???
>>
>>100411942
Manjaro is great, not broken. Use it on two pcs
>>
>>100411761
>>100412011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL9ztTzrY6Y
>>
>>100411109
You need to stop doing stuff just because it looks cool to the internet, and just do stuff that suits you.
If updating packages or tinkering with your system is hassle to you then use a stable distro, you fucking retard.
Nothing wrong with Debian. You can even rice it to show off to the other retards here.
>>
>>100412059
everything is getting worse
>>
>>100412090
Watch the video retard, he talks about how manjaro became absolute shit because of how much they tried to normify it, snap, flatpaks, shitty desktop environments etc. I think it's great to start off to arch, if you're not interested on reading the manual then use debian. No need for other distros
>>
>>100411761
>>100412011
Manjaro is a garbage distro
>>
>>100412171
but it works? and runs well? lol
>>
>>100411375
aww he's a little slow in the head
>>
>>100411375
>>100412340
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>100412184
>GRUB issues
>System breaks after kernel updates
>SSL Certificates expired multiple times
>Devs give users terrible advice on how to maintain their systems
>Holding back packages breaks compatibility with the AUR while the devs encourages users to use it and makes it a selling point
>Incompetent and arrogant developers with inflated egos
It may work for you now, but down the line, it won't. It's a garbage distribution that has many issues that doesn't occur on vanilla Arch.
>>
>>100411109
It's not really worth it, just having to deal with its installation process (both archinstall and pacstrap) isn't really worth it when you'll get basically the same thing from a Debian installer, even if the packages are newer. Not only does newer not mean better, in the case of Arch it's actively worse since you're basically just making yourself a free beta tester. There are some cases where it makes sense, such as cases where you want a minimal footprint and the newest possible applications (which is a weird as fuck usecase) but most of what it does can be done better by Gentoo or Void.
>>
>>100411109
When i installed arch 10 years ago nothing was working so i kept it on the side, login in every now and then figuring shit out, today it's my main os and i haven't managed break it completely for years, i get the wiki and i still look things up their when i get stuck on something it's really helpful, actually arch single handedly teached me how to make linux just work
>>
back in the early 2010s i used arch because i was poor and had very old hardware. nothing worked unless it was latest version

desu ubuntu is probably better to use these days
>>
>>100414132
this is a good point. arch does force you to learn a bit which is good as a noob. the wiki has a lot of info to mediate that
i feel like using ubuntu as first distro you could go a long time without learning anything at all
>>
>>100411109
If your hobby is being a test monkey for the newest bugs and features (a full time beta tester), you'll love it. If you have literally anything else to do on the computer, look elsewhere.
>>
>>100414132
>arch single handedly teached me how to make linux just work
sudo pacman -Syyu grammar
>>
>>100411109
>Arch
>Hard to maintain
You literally just run pacman -Syu and update your mirrors from time to time
>>
>>100411109
Arch is worth it, dwm not so much.
>>
>>100414132
humiliation ritual
>>
>>100413832
and yet it works?
>>
File: comfybabyduck.png (348 KB, 428x540)
348 KB
348 KB PNG
>without learning anything at all
Mint is so comfy bros
>>
>>100411109
>Mainting arch proved to be too hard for me
low quality bait
>>
>>100411109
arch is literally the easiest linux. how exactly is it broken? if it's too hard to maintain, install ubuntu 24.04 and sign in to ubuntu pro. don't waste your time on debian.
>>
i'll bite.
hypothetically, i've been running windows 11.
what's the best way to switch to arch linux?
>>
>>100418629
By taking your time and reading the ArchWiki. If you can't figure out how to setup and use Arch Linux on your own with the Wiki, or if you don't like it, don't use it.
>>
>>100411109
An endeavor OS update broke my display driver on my thinkpad
It used to recognize 1080p but now it defaults to 540 and doesn't know what the display is
>>
>>100411109
just try a few distro's out and see what you like and what works for you. you answered your own question with the first sentence. for you arch probably isn't it. it's one of the most documented distro's so i find it odd that you couldn't figure out how to use certain packages.
>>
>>100418629
Install Endeavour. It's just Arch pre-set up with some quality of life items. It's a good way to get familiar with Arch and Linux for someone with no prior experience.
>>
>>100411154
>at least none that took more than 2 days to fix
lol
>>100411109
linux is hardly worth it these days. the quality has dropped by 1000% over the last 5 years. the amount of total bullshit that has been piled on without any justification other than "that's old and this is new" is astounding. xorg is one of the most symmetric, understandable, and extensible code bases i've ever seen and yet little sparky in his propeller hat has declared it "old" without any reasonable explanation for why or how that's a problem and every retard and his mother took it as gospel truth and began repeating it. so now everyone is jumping ship to "new" wayland in spite of it being worse in every way including the quality of the code base. arch is the epitome of linux's mind virus.
>if the github hasn't had an update in two months it's a dead project
>should we rewrite this in [new hyped language]?
>my input library received a minor version update to fix a typo in the manpage and my distro hasn't pushed the update HELP!!!!!
>I'M OOPDATING
>i use linux for real work so i need the latest packages
>no i don't know what the latest updates actually changed, why would i know that?
>don't use that distro the packages are out of date. what? it means they're old i guess
>i don't know really, but this distro is newer so you might as well use it instead
>the package numbers are all higher, higher is better
>i oopdate daily and i never had a problem
you get the idea
>>
>>100418420
it is but they dropped their kde version. i always thought mint kde was the second best kde out of the box after opensuse.
>>
>>100421049
Whats the usecase for 1080p
>>
File: Edtg-CFUwAEQCjT.jpg (59 KB, 1200x675)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
It's been a waste of time lately as you have to fix silly little things from time to time.

For example, Python updated, you have to rebuild the packages. Normally you only discover this when an application stops working.

Some idiot could release a bad update and break the system.

Again, these are usually not difficult things to fix, they are boring and a waste of time.

You don't learn Linux like that, you learn to be a help desk. If you really want to learn Linux, read a book and do exercises on a virtual machine.
>>
>>100411109
I'd you are not dumb and can afford one time investment, you can learn nix and nixos.
Stable as fuck, after config is written and everything works you don't need to modify anything, system will never break and even if it breaks, you can reinstall all your setup in one command. Also it's repos are bigger than aur, you can mix stable and unstable packages, add custom "repos" via flakes, etc.

The only issue is that you need to learn it
>>
>>100424693
I don't get it, you have to do the same on Windows or even worse sometimes when you install some program, drivers or pirated software. You must not use Windows for anything complicated if you don't remember or maybe you are just too used to that and find it normal. It's okay to mess with system on Windows but not on Arch? Is it because Windows is used by more people and any amount of time wasted is acceptable?
>>
I just yay every day. I've switched from Debian to Arch and it's literally just as stable. I keep my package number and configurations generally manageable thoughbeitever. the only I think I actually did was making Silent Boot work
>>
OP here
another question I have is if there is a way to build packages in a closed environment
not installing the missing dependencies using pacman but creating a small something, only for that one package and it s dependencies so that you don t mess up
i guess you could make a folder where you install the binaries and then add that to path whenever you want to update a package
does something like this exist out there, which automates the process, or even better to build it only in ram and then free it and forget about it
>>
>>100426054
This is literally what Gentoo's portage does. It builds everything in a temporary folder and only installs the program and its dependencies if everything outputs OK.
>>
>>100411109
arch is good for ricing assuming you never update

if you want stability just use debian
>>
File: office-95-windows-11.jpg (189 KB, 1084x815)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>100425170
It's not the same. I can use the same Windows 95 app on Windows 11, it will work perfectly or with some minimal effort to make it compatible.
If I update Python on Windows, it won't randomly break some app.
>>
>>100411109
I've been using linux almost exclusively for work for a really long time now. And decided to make the jump to linux and went straight to arch because I've always hated how ubuntu looks. And the arch wiki looks very complete. It as a pain in the ass to set up because I knew nothing about linux at all and it's pretty cool I get to install exactly what I need which is just plasma and SDDM. I guess that Debian should provide a very similar experience but with more stable release packages if you are looking in to that,

But I understand why it is so scary for some people. I absolutely had a shitty time learning as I went.
>>
>>100411109
>Mainting arch proved to be too hard for me
you meanin typing "yay" in the terminal once every few days?
>>
>>100413832
>>Devs give users terrible advice on how to maintain their systems
I like the part where I was searching for an error message and their forums came up where the devs unload on some poor user for not doing some package maintenance thing which obviously everyone has to keep up with you moron... except the package with those maintenance tools isn't even installed by default.
It also wasn't the cause of the problem.
>>
>>100428712
>Windows 95 app
O_O
>>
>>100411154
>random software and just learning things
a breeze.
>gnu software not working like its supposed to
I want to carve eyes and eat souls
>>
>>100411109
>Is Arch worth it?
No, use NixOS
>>
slackware is where its at, doesnt update unless you update it its the most unixlike in that unixware was a base system and you had to install all your corpo junk and dependencies by hand oh you want to compile firefox ./configure failed missing libfag install lib fag and try again
>>
>>100432817
>run slackware
>get forced to build packages as root
>best distro ever
>>
>>100412059
>wojak on the thumbnail
into the trash it goes
>>
>>100432826
you configure and build as a user like every other distro and you dont have to install things system wide which is the only reason for escalating privs during install
>>
>>100432817
>>100432846
slack stops being fun after a month, when you need to install a program asap to get some work done and not spend hours tracking dependencies and compiling from source.
>>
>>100432951
use flatpak for fickle shit like steam and firefox those are your asap cant live withouts right?
>>
>>100432846
>you configure and build as a user like every other distro
Nope. Building SlackBuilds as non-root is unsupported. And if you bring it up with them, they sperg out instead of giving a rational response.

>Step 4 - Execute the SlackBuild Script (as root)
https://slackbuilds.org/howto/
>>
>>100432951
could consider doing the bare ass minimum base system with slackware to host something like distrobox for all your fagman tech that likes to update daily or kick you off the web
>>
>>100432951
Also, you end up having to install every official package because doing a minimal install requires expert-tier knowledge of dependences. Slackware gets a lot of things right, but this (and SlackBuilds) are mental.
>>
slack builds isnt slackware its unofficial slop why dont you go teach them about fakeroot sunce you are so pationate about it
>>
It just works unironically.
I use it on my PC, on my work and personal laptops, on my home and work servers.
I would prefer something like Void, but unfortunately systems is too engrained into the Linux nowadays.
>>
>>100433195
>slackbuild is unofficial
yes, but it is the main way people get 3rd party software onto slackware. they already know about fakeroot. they just don't care about their system getting accidentally trashed by a buggy upstream build process. which says all you need to know, really.
>>
>install rolling release distro
>never update it
>is this even worth it?
What a retard.
>>
>>100432711
sell me on it
>>
>>100434348
isn’t void kind of ...dead?
>>
>>100433195
>unofficial slop
>referenced on official slackware wiki with no disclaimer
https://docs.slackware.com/slackware:slackbuild_scripts
>>
>>100434503
Dunno, haven't looked at it in the last 3 years at least, since it went downhill after they ousted Xtraeme
>>
>>100411109
I have an arch desktop I ran with for the better part of 4 years. But something has changed after I got a macbook and rtx3060 this spring. I spend more time on my mac than my PC now... It's a sad world.
>>
>>100434493
instead of having to seek out packages, their dependencies, configuring them and sorting out any residual jank, you just edit one config file for the whole os and it automatically does things for you
all packages have all their files in their respective folder inside /nix/store instead of all across the file system (sounds neat, but i'm not sure how useful that is)
if an update or some package installation did something you didn't like, you can go back to the earlier configuration, as whenever you recompile your config file, the system adds an extra entry to your boot loader
the downsides is having to learn how to use the nix language (just some basics is good enough), its documentation kinda sucks, and you gotta read installer scripts' source code if you want to override their default settings (if you really want to), other than that that's it
here's some links that i had to spend some time finding when i switched to nixos:
customising packages (overrides etc.) https://bobvanderlinden.me/customizing-packages-in-nix/
option list (you copypaste these in your config file) https://search.nixos.org/options
package list (you copypaste these in the designated package install command's list https://search.nixos.org/packages
a script for getting old apps from channels (there's an instruction inside) https://matthewbauer.us/blog/all-the-versions.html
old package lookup with instructions, has channel select https://lazamar.co.uk/nix-versions/
newer old package lookup with instructions, doesn't have channel select https://history.nix-packages.com/search
>>
>>100434868
can I game easily on it? e.g install proprietary drivers and proprietary software like steam?
>>
>>100434887
yes you can
for proprietary nvidia drivers, you add
services.xserver.videoDrivers = [ "nvidia" ];
to your confugration.nix, for steam you add
programs.steam.enable = true;
, etc.
here's some extra links you can check:
the official nixos manual https://nixos.org/manual/nixos/stable/
nixos wiki https://nixos.wiki/wiki/Main_Page
>>
>>100411109
>booting with arch through gnu's bullshit
dont use arch, the rolling release is the most meme shit ever.
>>
no
it WILL break eventually

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.