[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Hot replaceable LiFePO4 batteries with unified standard suitable for every smartphone (like Type-C)
Is it too much to ask?
>>
Lifepo is nice because when you buy bare cells from aliexpress they won't explode but it's less energy dense than other chemistries.
>>
Countries where winters are colder than -10 NEED LiFePO4 batteries. Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Canada, Russia. Li-Ion and Li-Pol degrades much faster in cold weather.
>>
>>101183460
Lithium iron phosphate batteries store less power for a given size and weigh more for a given size. Making the largest single component of a device intended to be portable out of iron doesn't seem like a great idea.
>>
I just want something with infinite cycle life, which probably means "not lithium"
>>
>>101183475
With replaceable batteries, it will be no problem to carry a few extra batteries in your backpack.
>>
>>101183508
Of course no one will use them except in winter. But in winter they are absolutely exceptional.
>>
>>101183488
>>101183535
Is it -10 on the inside of your jacket where you store your phone?
>>
>>101183460
Based, fuck Applel
>>
>>101183555
I am a courier and I need my smartphone to always be on the handlebars of my electric bicycle (also on LFP4) so that I can always see the route
>>
File: 1711847717839570.gif (354 KB, 500x491)
354 KB
354 KB GIF
iTODDLERS BTFO
>>
>>101183460
Convince me that this isn't a "give us money to change our minds" ploy
>>
>>101183695
Power banks consume twice the battery life cycle. Instead of simply replacing a discharged battery with a charged one from your pocket/backpack, you charge the battery with a power bank which loses its resource twice - first for charging smartphone, second for charging itself.
>>
>>101183460
Define replaceable. Because technically all current smartphone batteries are replaceable depending how your define it.
>>
>>101183555
I remember when it was -30C in the winter my phone would get cold in my pants pocket and the screen would start ghosting like crazy.
>>
File: 1712413728140445.jpg (54 KB, 1125x1125)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Impressive, now let us unlock the bootloader
>>
>>101185094
Unified socket for ARM CPU
Unified socket for LPDDR
Unified slot for UFS storage
Unified slot for DAC, speakers, mic and analog output
Unified slot for camera
Unified slot for display

And this all with hot swap!
>>
>>101183460
these latte sipping, hemp wearing, tofu eating, iphone flaunting kids are what sparked this anti-ewaste palava in the first place
>>
>>101184963
this
>>101183460
This law is not about hot replaceable, but (independant) shop replaceable batteries.
>>
>>101183460
>Hot replaceable
No. In the context of computing, a hot swap means you can replace a part while the system is powered and running.
>>
>>101183460
How is the waterproofing going to work now
>>
>>101185333
>plug in
>replace the battery
>>
>>101185342
Seals. The waterproofing needing non reolacable batteries was always a lie
>>
>>101185333
Make two removable batteries. Make mechanism that doesn't allow put out last battery, so you can put out only one of two batteries. When charging from the charger, the most discharged battery will be charged first.
>>
>>101184963
When you can open the phone and put new battery in and it isn't put behind 40 layers of glue, purposefully fragile plastic and drm chip just so you're forced to buy a new phone you don't want or need
>>
>>101185342
gaskets. they've been a thing for like 150 years
>>
>>101185354
Too much effort and risk for zero benefit, what fool would do that?

A sensible case of hot swap is plugging in a keyboard or mouse while the PC is running, because USB was designed for hot-swap (whereas PS/2 was not, so there was a risk of damage). A more extreme example would be a mainframe that lets you replace processors, memory, etc, while the system as a whole keeps running without a hiccup.
>>
>>101185386
show me the exact wording of the proposed law that says this
>>
Doesn't really matter until they legally enforce cheap user replaceable batteries.

Just charge your customers 200 bucks for a battery replacement, or 300 bucks for a new phone. Meanwhile I just replaced a cell in a 20 year old rechargable battery, cost me 7 bucks and I had to cut the fucking battery pack open because it was welded shut.
>>
>>101185736
somethign about being able to remove the battery WITHOUT a dedicated tool for it.
some might say something to pry open the battery cover should count as a tool, but not to the eu.
>>
>>101185259
the fuck is wrong with hemp
>>
>>101183460
Pretty pointless considering these things only have a shelf life of like two or three years at the most.
>>
>>101183555
Anon, some people use their phone when outside
>>
>>101187730
When you are faced with a decision of buying an identical phone that performs about as well vs replacing just the battery of your old phone many will take the replace the battery option. An option was was not previously available while also being economical.

The android OS/security updates are getting to like 7 years for some phones so that too isnt a reason to throw your old phone away after 2 years.
>>
this is how it currently works with non-apple phones
>make phone
>make battery with a funny shape
>only do a few runs of manufacture of that battery around the same time the phone releases
>6-7 years later, the batteries in those phones start dying
>people buy the new/old stock batteries and find theyre useless because batteries die due to TIME, and not strictly usage
>people buy new phone
theres absolutely nothing stopping apple doing this, and they probably will because theyre a nasty piece of shit company
>>
>>101183460
Please do the same with battery tools, bikes, lawn mower, vacuum cleaner...
>>
>>101183460
Nice, now do all the other electronics shit coming from China so I don't have to drill out the batteries to replace them.
>>
>>101184963
Everyone knows what replaceable means why don't you?
>>
>>101185342
Nigger the old galaxy S5 was waterproof and it had
>removable battery
>microsd slot
>headphones jack
>microusb
It was peak phone. Everything after it has taken away features.
>>
>>101185094
And make ARM phones use standardized UEFI secure boot with user-enrollable keys.
>>
>>101188514
I don't fucking care what it is at this point as long as I can pick the binaries it runs.
>>
>>101188504
>microusb
Piece of shit planned obsolescence port. USB C is great but mini was peak
>>
>>101183676
b
>>
>>101183488
so a bunch of countries nobody cares about. Got it.
>>
>>101183460
mandatory headphone jack when? pls EU
>>
>>101183608
and what percentage of the population is a bicycle courier?
>>
>>101183488
LiFePO4 is permanently damaged when charged in that temperature.
>>
>>101184963
it's very well defined in the legislation.
>>
>>101185232
>hot swap CPU
>>
>>101192446
seething
>>
>>101183676
nass
>>
>>101193394
>z/Architecture blocks your path

>>101185333
no fucking shit

>>101185560
Phones take forever to boot

>>101187730
Yeah, just tether your phone to an additional external battery to charge your internal battery rather than just swapping your internal battery with another charged one

>>101193373
Nobody said anything about charging in that temperature
>>
>>101183676
bass
>>
>>101183676
b
>>
>>101183676
boost
>>
>>101187804
The EU for the most part doesn't play games when it comes to abiding by the spirit of a given regulation.
Apple is playing games right now with the DMA, "opening" the iPhone up but charging outrageous fees and needing "approval" to open a new store when the idea was simple as it can be, which is allow alternative app stores with ZERO gatekeeping.

The removable battery is the same thing. The intent is for users to replace the battery. Which not only means make it easy to remove but also provide replacements. Playing games like making the battery removable but heavily restricting access to replacements is not within the spirit of the regulations
>>
>>101187804
if it becomes a problem, the EU will just legislate that they have to manufacture replacement batteries for 5/etc years after the phone's release date.
>>
>>101183508
God damn you are fucktarded
>>
>>101183460
2027, the year when I'll upgrade my smartphone from samsung s22u
>>
File: 1793365554542.gif (81 KB, 640x640)
81 KB
81 KB GIF
>>101183460
why do we want replaceable batteries? i did not enjoy dropping my phone in the past and it splitting in multiple pieces.
i would suggest hospitals for phones instead, where you can change the battery through surgery
>>
>>101183525
>carry couple small batteries in your pocket/backpack
>risk of puncturing and getting on fire
>have to turn off your phone, replace battery, turn back on
>throws away/loses batteries
VS
>carry 20k mAh powerbank
>just plug to charge
>lasts much longer than small replacable batteries
Replacable battery fags are poor and hate environment.
>>
>>101199621
>retard doesn't understand batteries wear and and people don't want to be tethered constantly
>>
>>101199621
>walking around with a brick that you need to hang off your phone, and deal with the power inefficiency of using a battery to recharge a battery
If you could use powerbanks as passthrough, as in the actual battery got essentially disconnected and the phone instead ran off the external pack, I could understand them.

As is, they're retarded. I fucking love just swapping my battery on the fly. Get home, swap the battery over, put the old one on a slow charge for 6 hours overnight. Meanwhile, modern phones? Oh boy, our new phone can charge at 100 niggerwatts! Sure, your battery will last about 6 months instead of 6 years, but then you'll be ready to buy a new phone!
>>
They could argue they're already replaceable.
>>
>>101193394
You've been able to hotswap CPUs in enterprise for atleast a decade on commodity hardware.
>>
>>101199607
>i did not enjoy dropping my phone in the past and it splitting in multiple pieces.
As opposed to shattering and becoming a single, unified unuseable piece of garbage?

>>101199621
This dude's never read about lifepo4 batteries
>>
>>101183460
Thank god
>>
>>101200063
>as opposed to...
What this has to do with replacable batteries? You think once they let users replace batteries they'll make it easier to repair phones too? How naive are you? They'll just glue everything else.
>>
>>101199607
when a phone dropped in the past and split to multiple parts the energy of the impact was absorbed and lost by the multiple parts. It made dropping your phone less of an issue unless you dropped exactly at the screen edges which just like today was a gg even for a nokia. Although old phones had bezels around screen edges making the "bad impact spot" almost non-existent. Modern phones are a single easy to break and shatter monolith.
Also you needed only 1 minute to put it back together.
>>
>>101200609
The unfortunate truth is that phones have *always* been shit but you never really needed them or spent much time on them until lately so you never noticed.
>>
>>101200685
somehow phones from 2001 were perfectly usauble and alive even in 2011 and were mostly changed because even the boomers wanted bigger screens. meanwhile a phone made in 2014 will be changed by 2018 and there is no way it is usable in 2024.
>>
>>101200779
I still use a phone made in 2009.
>>
>>101199665
>our new phone can charge at 100 niggerwatts!
>your battery will last about 6 months
the circuit only uses 100 niggerwatts up to certain saturation
i'd say it's no worse for battery health to pour 100 niggerwatts for 5 minutes and then trickle at 10 niggerwatts for 30 minutes, than trickling at 10 niggerwatts for hours
>>
>>101183475
>less energy dense than other chemistries
After a few months of daily use, a standard battery would probably degrade below the capacity of a LiFePO4 battery anyway
>>
>>101200914
This is because you're stupid.
>>
>>101200779
My LG V20 costs more to fix than to just buy a used one. Which may or may not have it's own issues and the cycle repeats.
Even makers remove their last year's model online/on physical stores when the new one comes around.
>>
>>101183676
bosko
>>
>>101200779
Take the cell enabled laptop pill. The modem is a replaceable module so when the network changes you just swap that out instead of the whole computer.
>>
> You buy 3 swappable batteries

> Consumed one-two batteries per day

> Install a new battery before going to bed

> Place 2 discharged batteries for charging before sleep in a special case with old 2pin wire

5V/1A and 5V/0.5A chargers with circle 2pin cables are so fucking back guys
>>
>>101200986
These phones require fixing because they're designed to fail, and the main component built to fail is the battery. I had to replace my last phone because the battery died, the one before that slipped off my desk and the screen cracked though. Before that, my old S2 lasted a decade.
>>
>>101183460
fucking finally, good to see EU calling manufactures' bullshit after a decade of overmilking consumers in that particular way
>>
>>101201852
>>101201902
The most pleasant part is that the companies obey.
>>
>>101183676
bass
>>
>>101189990
And both of you niggers forget the barrel jack beats both. End your lives
>>
>>101203865
Fuck barrel jacks, I only trust IEC cables.
>>
>>101183460
No, they should mandate headphone jacks and microsd cards too.
>>
>>101183676
basted
>>
>>101183488
Irrelevant shitholes countries
>>
I just want a phone where the battery stops discharging when I plug in the wall.
Most of the time I'm using my phone I'm not outside so that alone would mean that I wouldn't have to charge the stupid thing to full once per day
>>
>>101183460
This is pointless though, I still have a Samsung Galaxy S8 I use as my phone, battery life is fine, the bigger issue is it no longer gets security updates anymore and if I wanted to install a new OS or something else that requires rooting the device which is a pain too. I'm basically locked in with no way out. They should be requiring manufaturers to push security updates indefinetly for device or making it easier to switch the OS on a phone to something else that still gets updates if there's anything like that out there.
>>
>>101199564
>they have to manufacture replacement batteries for 5/etc years
>Make phone
>Phone sells like shit
>Sorry you have to keep this piece of shit in production because we say so.
>Goes rupt
>>
>>101212676
This literally just incentivizes companies to keep using the same battery sizes and connectors because there's no value in changing them. Maybe don't build retarded custom batteries that have no reason to exist?

The ideal would be all these shit companies being forced to come together and use the same fucking parts instead of building in incompatibility purely to fuck over consumers.
>>
>>101183460
They should mandate 5 OS upgrades and availability of components for 10 years.
All smartphones with a sustainability rating below C cannot be sold within the EU (so most of chinkphones will be out of the market).
Hotswappable batteries is not the main goal, just to be able to remove the back cover in a foolproof manner. Manufacturers may hide all the components behind a plate and only leave direct access to the battery and charging coil. Just unscrew and remove rubber gasket.This may thicken the devices (and it is a good thing).
>>
>>101183460
>To kill phone simply pull out the battery
Glow niggers aren't gonna like this one. I'm sure they're planning to take down the EU as we speak.
>>
>>101212676
>Changs start making replacement batteries for 1/20th of the cost
>nobody to question it
>everybody wins
There's still new devices using Nokia's BL batteries being made now, and the batteries themselves are plenty and cheap.
There's literally no downside do your scenario.
>>101212702
>The ideal would be all these shit companies being forced to come together and use the same fucking parts instead of building in incompatibility purely to fuck over consumers.
That's exactly what EU is doing. They didn't say "you have to use usb-c now", but they said "talk amongst yourselves and standardize on one phone/device charging standard".
>>
>>101183555
Yes actually. My pockets aren't inside my jacket. I don't want to remove my jacket to use my phone.
>>
>>101212725
Except all chang replacement batteries are junk.

Only standard battery sizes can save us. Even then, they're not great. I can buy a NiMH gumstick battery still, but the design is still 30 years old. The low self discharge that all modern NiMH designs have doesn't exist. I can still buy Nokia BL cells, but quality varies massively between batches and they're made as cheaply as possible. Maybe you get lucky and it lasts 6 months, or maybe it's junk and explodes on the second charge.

We need proper battery certification. Right now the best official batteries you can get are factory seconds that failed the test charge but chang didn't throw them away, he marked down the price and shipped them off to a re-seller. All the current regulation will result in is manufacturers jacking up the prices of replacement batteries, which is better than having no replacements at all, but it's still not great.
>>
>>101212847
>I can still buy Nokia BL cells, but quality varies massively between batches and they're made as cheaply as possible. Maybe you get lucky and it lasts 6 months, or maybe it's junk and explodes on the second charge.
Well then I've been super-lucky. The BL in my servicing wireless keyboard has been there for the last 5 years.
Either way you're missing the point and kvetching for billion dollar corporations and their proprietary "standards".
Battery certification is already a thing in the EU, so it's not a problem. While you can import shady ones from Aliexpress proper retailers won't touch them.
>>
>>101183488
batteries don't degrate faster in winter. their area becomes smaller in the cold thus they can hold less charge.
>>
>>101183460
>replaceable
As it should be
>unified standard
This is debatable in small devices where taking advantage of the exact shape of the free space you've got available translates in a larger battery. Having standard shapes would likely lead to somewhat worse battery life.
>>
>>101212924
Just design the PCBs better?

Honestly, if phones weren't designed wrong on purpose we could have some cool shit. Imagine a built in capacitor or backup battery, and a battery hotswap system. We had all kinds of cool mechanical engineering to do shit like flip discs and tapes, and no phone base station where you just put your phone in it and hit a button to get the battery swapped out with the secondary one that has been charging all day. No goy, put your phone on some stupid "wireless" pad instead, that's so much more convenient!
>>
>>101213036
normies can't be trusted with mechanical complexity, that's why the sealed brick design is prevalent
>>
File: modularphone.jpg (93 KB, 600x450)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>101200609
>Also you needed only 1 minute to put it back together.
if you guys got it like you wanted it would take take much longer
>>
>>101213134
Engineering is about solving problems, normies being retarded with power, mechanical parts or software is a problem and we could find good solutions. Now we have judaic greed and ranjeets stupidity all over the tech world so obviously we can't have nice and clever things.
>>
File: 1719762849955.webm (3.55 MB, 352x640)
3.55 MB
3.55 MB WEBM
reminder that the EU legislation basically just requires that batteries be installed in phones with those little tearaway adhesive strips instead of glue that needs to be pried off or removed with solvent.
It doesn't require removable backs, cells that can be swapped without tools or any of the other shit /g/ is fantasizing about
>>
>>101216914
Those adhesive strips are garbage and it does imply backs be removable if the replacement process is meant to be carried by a "layman"
The current process for the very vast majority of phones will not comply.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.