[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Castle in The Sky.jpg (2.57 MB, 3840x2160)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
>work really hard in cyber security for 8 years
>make loads of money
>pay for housing / bills for parents / myself & gf
>don't really care about any of it and not really any happier than when I started out and lived in an apartment.
>actually start to loathe technology as it's only making day to day life shittier and more complex. feels like it's all a grift

Any other anons like this? Feels like the only thing you get for working hard is more stress, the ability to buy bullshit you don't need and supporting people who don't work as hard as you or care about how hard you work. pic unrelated.
>>
>>101204036
>make loads of money
do you mind defining this? like 120k? 100k? If you don't mind. this is an anonymous imageboard of course, i'll be real with you and tell you I make $0.
>>
>>101204058
high 200s in Ohio
>>
>pay for housing / bills for parents / myself & gf
Cuck behaviour
>>
>>101204099
nice man, seems like you're doing very well for yourself in a LCOL area. but what you say does contradict what I would think for myself in the future, it really does seem like in my mind that if I have the opportunity to amass wealth that I would be more free in life, or I guess the instinct is that it could be something to compensate for something else. Your money allows you to do more things, yet you don't care about it. You already know you won't find meaning in your work because you think it's a grift, which I understand. In that case, you should heed the reality that a lot of people get depressed nowadays because they don't feel like they're "working towards something"

This is a weird comparison but you should look at people who become manic, they feel very determined and goal-oriented. They end up feeling euphoric days on end because their brain is generating an amphetamine-like experience, they're driven and motivated to wake up to do X or Y. Of course, it's not healthy because they'll crash and whatever. But back to you as a normal person, you need to have goals and have something to look forward to. Something to build, I guess money isn't that for you. You should start a non-profit or have a kid or create some sort of tool for people to use.
>>
>>101204174
thanks homie, I'm thinking of maybe trying to retire early and then work at a nature center or some outdoors thing for cheap fuckaround money just to have some kind of responsibility
>>
>>101204249
For me personally, I am thinking far too ahead and I doubt i'll keep the same plan. But if things go optimistically and I retire in my late 40s or 50s (really really optimistic here) and survive on investments. I would wonder if sufficient industry experience would allow you to become a professor or something. Like I could just "retire" into really laid-back teaching/research or something. I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about or if that's even remotely possible, but that would be ideal. If I stayed at home and idle'd I would 100% kill myself, not gonna sugar coat and my children would not deserve that (if I am not mentally fit at this age I doubt I will just magically become resilient to resist the same when im old).

I dunno man, they don't teach you this shit in school because nobody wants to talk about the grim reality of coping with a competitive society. I guess nobody saw it coming, I wonder myself if this sort of "you gotta keep up with the Jones's" was just as prominent as it was in the past. Because in my biased opinion it feels turbocharged and absolutely debilitating. It's like I cannot escape the feeling that I need to compete with everybody and I need to keep up, I can't go at my own pace. I say all of this because you mention stress, and the best way for me to understand it is from my own. That is my stress, to "keep up". And your story of money not solving it worries me to be honest. But perhaps our insecurities are far different.

If anyone is curious about this bleak future (particularly in the US): https://youtu.be/qEJ4hkpQW8E
>>
>>101204127
>Looking after family is cuck behaviour
This is why Muslims and Indians are taking over, they're very family orientated
>>
>supporting people who don't work as hard as you or care about how hard you work
You're screwing yourself over by paying bills for parents & gf. It's a GF not a wife. You let yourself get walked over.
>>
>>101204036
ty for the new dekstop pic, I haven't changed it in a good while
>>
>>101204036
fuck off you have a gf stfu

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.