[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: feature-h265.jpg (50 KB, 700x350)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Hey /g/uys,
Can someone explain how video codecs work, and what exactly H256 is? Are all .mp4 files not the same?
I recently shot a shit load of footage on my new phone, and had H256 encoding turned on. I just want to edit the clips together, really simple stuff, but my PC can't even open the files? They're literally just .mp4s? My editing software is also incredibly slow to import them, rendering the footage basically useless.
Is there a way you can like switch codecs...? Or some way to make it work smoother?
I really don't understand how these things work.
>>
it's h265 retard, mp4 is just a container format, codec defines how the raw pixels compressed. h265 is very common, if your pc is not fucking eniac it should have hardware acceleration, use a fucking proper editing software that can use that or gpu.
>>
>>101208268
Depends, are you a cute girl? Otherwise I'm not helping
>>
>>101208268
>Are all .mp4 files not the same?

Think of MP4 as a burger bun, while H.265 and AAC are the contents in between.
>>
>>101209473
>retard
God damn why are you people so nasty? It's like you people are all Jewish or something.
>>
>>101208268
If you're not a zoomie with short attention span, watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4NXxY4maYc
>>
>>101208268
>but my PC can't even open the files?
...have you tried using a video player that supports such format?
yeah crazy concept i know...
>Is there a way you can like switch codecs...?
yes transcoding is a thing that exists
>>
>>101208268
>H265
get with the times grampa
>>101210484
>>
>>101210516
>paid mpeg shills now invade every fucking thread to promote their new dogshit codec
lol
>>
>>101208268

with proper app your phone be better for editing video shot by phone than your pc, who would have guessed
>>
>>101208268
[ .mp4/.webms/.mov ] are called containers which are just virtual packaging for storing the actual data called streams.
Streams matter, containers don't. It takes 0 seconds to convert a mp4 to a webm if they're gonna have the same codec (as long as the container is compatible with the codec). Or stripping audio from a video.
Everytime you check for compatibility, you should check the codecs, not just the containers
You might have observed on certain devices, that your audio might play but the video is blank or the video isn't playing the audio. That's cuz the respective codecs are incompatible with your device
>>
File: codec.png (76 KB, 927x642)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>>101212474
>>
>>101208268
>Can someone explain how video codecs work
Its a standard that specifies how to compress video data

>and what exactly H256 is?
there is no such thing as H256, you probably mean H265.
H265 is one of many video codecs out there

>Are all .mp4 files not the same?
mp4 is a container format. It can contain many types of video codecs and audio codecs and other things. So no not all mp4's are the same. It depends on their content.

>but my PC can't even open the files?
your editing program probably doesn't support H265

>Is there a way you can like switch codecs...?
yes literally just google "online H265 to H264 converter" (H264 being an older video codec that is supported in most software)
>>
>>101208268
>Uses a video codec with a more obnoxious and impossible to license pool of patents
>Wonders why software for dealing with it is anemic
You get what you deserve
>>
>>101212897
why is everything regarding graphics retarded clusterfuck of complexity? I wish gp wasnt invented and screen was just binded to memory.
>>
>>101209473
This makes so much sense — thanks anon!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.