[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: public network windows.jpg (89 KB, 1065x568)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
Is there a difference between a public network with sharing enabled and a private network with sharing enabled?
>>
+ What else is protected? Does a public network prevent intrusion on a public wifi, or just prevent access to my shared folders? Or is it just useless?
>>
>>101209136
>>101209292
>>101209292
They are just presets for network settings, which you can override.
>>
>>101209532
Thank you.
No hidden or inherent parameters?
What about >>101209292 ?
>>
>>101209578
"Hidden," no, but you can view the details in the firewall settings
>>
>>101209649
Thank you, only the answer to this question remains:
Does a public network prevent intrusion on a public wifi, or just prevent access to my shared folders? Or is it just useless?
Then I'll stop bothering you.
>>
>>101209750
>Does a public network prevent intrusion on a public wifi, or just prevent access to my shared folders? Or is it just useless?

it largely toggles access/discoverability for shared folders on your workstation. it has defaulted to "public" in later builds of windows (more restrictive).
>>
>>101209750
As far as I know the main difference between public and private is that in private mode, windows will assume that all machines on the network are friendly and will broadcast file shares and discover devices like printers and whatnot, whereas public mode assumes all machines are unfriendly and will not announce itself by default.
>>
File: Untitled.png (23 KB, 655x292)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>101209136
private or public network is the option you choose for your setting.
Public means that the computer in your network can NOT see your computer (for example, they can't connect to a localhost server you're running)
Private is the other way around.

About shared folders and files, you're the one who have to specify if it's shared or not in the file/folder properties
>>
>>101209817
The question I have is that if it was really effective for hiding, why are there vpn.

>>101209790
>>101209776
I understand, but does private mean that my pc is fully open or just the shared folders.
>>
File: Untitled.png (115 KB, 1366x870)
115 KB
115 KB PNG
>>101209884
the only thing VPN does is middleware your network traffic through another computer/server, that's why it "changes" your IP (the date is sent to your VPN, which then sends the data to your pc).

It does nothing to prevent file access from computers on the same network as you, or to protect your ip against other computer on the same network.
For that you need to configure your firewall settings and file sharing settings.
If you want to be completely safe, just disable sharing in the settings.
>>
>>101210095
Vpn is useless on public place so ?
Or can my data be visible (crypted or not) even if my PC is hidden?
>>
>>101210253
VPN will still work even if you're connected to a public or private network
>>
>>101210273
Ok, but if putting yourself in public is enough to prevent access to my PC, what does the VPN protect?
Or is my traffic still detected, just that my PC is invisible?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.