[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How do search engines make their money?
>>
>>101209749
Selling ads.
>>
>>101209749
Propaganda
>>
>>101209792
Is that what Google originally did when it first came out?
>>
Hijacking thread to ask a quick question, not about search engines but very related, web browsers.

How does privacy work when it comes to web browsers?

To add context to my question, there are 2 types of browsers, chromium (google, edge, etc, really bad) and non-chromium (firefox based things, like librewolf, pale moon, basilisk etc). I wish to understand if what they mean for privacy refers to being unseen by the government and companies, no this is not a post promoting anything illegal at all, chill out mods. I simply ask what browsers mean by privacy. For example, if you search for "loli" or similar on a chromium browser, you are done for, literally it pops up to an employee at Google that someone is doing a nono, but if you search "loli" on firefox browsers that promise privacy, you are safe from spying eyes?

Another example has to do with sites like 4chan, like the guys who got arrested for saying "politician should unalived in minecraft" and no, jannies, I am not condoning their actions. Again, if you write something like what while using librefox or basilisk or even torr, the government couldn't locate you and disappear you right?

Finally, in regards to downloads and nsfw sites you log into, for example sties for videogame mods of the horny kind, be it Fallout, The Sims, skyrim, you know the kind. If you download them or log into the sites like allthefallen that are nsfw on a chromium browser then you ARE screwed since it is confirmed those sites are monitored by the FBI, and anything you download in chromium browsers also pops up to an employee and without your knowledge now you are on a government list, even for videogame mods. But if you download such mods or log into such sites while using a privacy focused firefox, will you be able to not be profiled as if you were a hardened criminal?

Is that what privacy browser means or am I all wrong? And mods read my post I am not breaking any rules, I chose my words as carefully as possible too.
>>
>>101209862
Google was originally a DARPA project, but yes they've been selling ads since nearly day 1.
Google AdSense is their #1 bread and butter and is still responsible for 90% of googles profit.
>>
...when you search things, there might be a special link at the front of the results for whatever you were looking for. This is because the business in question, through whatever adtech bidding process, paid DoogDooglingdex to be there.
>>
>>101209900
alphabet owns mozilla dumbo
>>
>>101209862
Google didn't come up with it, but they certainly perfected it.
Ads go well with search. When you search for something specifically, isn't that the perfect time to show you targeted ads for that thing?
Google also let bloggers put ads on their pages so that high traffic websites would get paid (with Google taking a cut of the profits).
In retrospect it's a nearly unassailable money machine. The Web keeps growing exponentially, making more people want to use Search, and Search shows them relevant ads, and also leads them to pages/blogs that have ads also owned by Google. Ads in your face wherever you go.
>>
>>101209900

It would take a while to explain, but it’s a very good question.

To understand this you should first understand: “how does networking work?” And “how do browsers work?”
That is - when you visit a website what is happening from one end to the other?

After understanding the above you can go through each step and consider: “what if anything can someone see about my web requests?”

If you go through the exercise the answer is “a lot”.

1. Google obviously sees your search traffic
2. Your isp sees traffic, what specifically depends on if you’re using encrypted dns, and if you’re obfuscating traffic
3. Etc etc

In terms of browsers specifically usually privacy means:
Do they block advertising trackers? Eg when you visit banana.com, are ad networks, Google, Facebook, etc all notified so that they can show you more banana ads. Chrome added more bulletin tracking recently because more and more people were using ad blocker extensions that messed up tracking.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.