[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How's Wayland on Nvidia now that 555 is out now?
>>
Perfect
>>
>>101210149
Dunno, not in my repo yet
>>
File: photo_2024-06-30_05-18-48.jpg (613 KB, 2460x2560)
613 KB
613 KB JPG
pic related is gnome experience.
plasma krashes, everything has 1-2 second latency and the mouse cursor is lagging under any sort of load. Slower than Windows with all the bloat enabled.
t. 1660s
>>
>>101210180
Have you tried only have one desktop environment installed at a time and clearing out the configs?
>>
>>101210180
btw I did that with NVReg_EnableGpuFirmware=0.

>>101210193
I started with plasma on a clean Arch install. Configs only matter for plasma, there is not much to be done about gnome. I installed mutter triple buffering patch, was a little bit better but anyway it's unusable.
>>
>>101210201
>Configs only matter for plasma,
It's very clear in that pic that there is a conflict between Plasma and GNOME while GNOME is running so it also matters in GNOME
>>
>>101210208
Because plasma shits into user themes. It has nothing to do with the mutter shitting under the bed.
Anyway I don't care, go ahead and waste your time installing it, maybe you'll convince yourself that this is a "minor bug". Also I can't speak for the RTX owners because Linux works better on them.
>>
yeah by the way GDM (Gnome's display manager) won't let you log in into Wayland session at all because it's hardcoded to prevent you from using it on Nvidia, so you have to install KDE's display manager where Wayland session is listed.
>>
>>101210233
Because GNOME has not fixed the esync issue with Nvidia yet. Your only choice for a desktop environment using Wayland if you're a Nvidia user might be KDE Plasma.
Not sure about Hyprland if they have also fixed this issue. But if they did, that's also an option.
>>
>>101210180
feels good to have dual graphics
>>
>>101210233
>so you have to install KDE's display manager
No failand equivalent to startx?
weston and sway at least don't need a display manager.
I doubt Gnone or KDE strictly need one either.
>>
>>101210149
fine on x11. Wayland is a never ending battle of breakage
>>
>>101210149
Chromium based browsers have lots of flickering where it alternated between current and previously shown content unless Vulkan is enabled, and Vulkan gets disabled for some reason if you open a context menu for 3 times.
Using Plasma 5.
>>
broken, about to buy a 7800xt or something to replace my 4070s with, so I can have a smooth Linux experience.
>>
>>101210149
No difference on my 1070 + kde + 3 monitors + arch. Never had any problems to begin with though
>>
>>101210149
wlroots still doesn't werk because the code jannies are bikeshedding their fucking api
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wlroots/wlroots/-/merge_requests/4715
>>
>>101210180
Imagine being this retarded
>>
>>101210180
oh wait that's not GNOME. I know exactly what this is and it has to do with KDE modifying your GTK themes.

Delete .config/gtk-* restart the session open gnome tweaks and reset all settings.
Side effect of KDE fucking with GTK themes for breeze integration.
>>
>>101211810
>Using Plasma 5.
Wayland on Nvidia was not fixed in Plasma 5.
It was fixed in Plasma 6.1
>>
>>101210149
Just werks
>>
>>101210201
>btw I did that with NVReg_EnableGpuFirmware=0.
Lmao and what did you expect?
>>
>wayland troons might actually pull it off in 2 years with breakage after breakage
I'll be damned.
>>
>>101210149
Still sucks dick. Still has a bunch of problems that X11 doesn't. Every time Wayland shills say TODAY is THE day that it'll come good, it turns out to be a fucking lie.
>>
>>101210149
>now that 555 is out now
good morning sir
>>
>>101213561
i mean that's how it works, decades ago pulseaudio was also a broken piece of software, and now it works so people had to invent pipewire to fix that
>>
>>101213637
>>
>>101210180
>plasma krashes
works on my battlestation
t. 1660s
>>
File: file.png (43 KB, 1136x185)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>101210149
I tried it out on Plasma 6 and 6.1. There's this bug where shit will freeze on 555 when the panel hides. It's super weird.
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/kde-plasma-wayland-explicit-sync-driver-bug/295081
I have to hide panels because said computer is on an OLED (actually a 4K TV cause I use it for gaming and media). I also use a black background, black lock screen with no password (because there's no screensavers anymore), and some other settings to avoid keeping anything on screen when not in use.
Plasma 6.1 actually works better for me on 550 drivers on said computer, I don't get any of the flicker people complain about. It's got a 3090TI so maybe that's a factor.
Either way, there's a second more annoying bug that's keeping me from switching over to Wayland for the time being. Sometime after my TV powers off for the night things will flat out break and when I turn the TV back on it won't detect my computer. I can still SSH in and tell it to reboot but I can't do much else. I was looking into collecting a dump to file a kwin bug, it doesn't seem to hard but it's kind of annoying so I haven't done it. The issue doesn't happen immediately after the TV turns off, it seems it has to remain turned off for some undetermined amount of time. I don't have sleep or suspend features enabled, just a lock screen, so it should be unrelated to that.
For the time being I'm back on XFCE. It's not really worth switching at the moment because HDR colors are washed out (it's a little hard to tell but they definitely are if you do some comparisons). Apparently this is an issue with Nvidia (and Intel). See screenshot from here for more info
https://zamundaaa.github.io/wayland/2024/05/11/more-hdr-and-color.html
I suspect not many Nvidia users have HDR displays and those that do may not realize the colors are washed out, as I haven't seen many complaints about that.
>>
>>101210201
>btw I did that with >NVReg_EnableGpuFirmware=0.
You have a capitalization error. It should be
NVreg_EnableGpuFirmware=0
>>
>>101210149
So you don't need to add kernel modules to the bootloader anymore?
>>
>>101216219
oh no that was the 560 driver
>>
>>101213637
Pipewire works flawlessly though?
>>
Does any of this new nvidia stuff mean anything for legacy drivers?
>>
>>101216881
It's been years since I've had a single problem with PipeWire. People who whine about it are actual retards.
>>
>>101213637
They're both fucking shit that competent programmers tolerate.
>>
>>101210180
>most valuable company in the world
>>
It worked fine last night on Artix. I was toying around with HDR but couldn't get it to work. This morning I get a black screen and have to force reboot and use X11 again.
>>
By default it uses intel.
But you can force open a program with nvidia from terminal and it is working fine for steam.
>>
>>101211872
he doesn't even know how to take a screenshot. lmao
>>
>>101210233
What the fuck are you talking about
I’m literally using gnome, gdm and nvidia and it werks fine
>>
File: file.png (149 KB, 1300x684)
149 KB
149 KB PNG
>>101210233
You have to config gdm to enable wayland session.
also regarding this >>101219201
if anyone knows how I can use nvidia for everything on wayland like on X then you will be of great help.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.