[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: macosapplefgltfwt.png (242 KB, 1264x826)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
Is Game Porting Toolkit 2 going to change the game?
>>
No
>>
>>101211576
I expect it to nudge the game a little bit at best
>>
>>101211576
Nah, it'll only port the game
>>
>>101211576
No. The App Store is just not a platform people would want to spend $60 on games on. Because at any time your games will stop working or flat out get removed. Over the years games like Infinity Blade, Rage, Dead Space, Mass Effect, the N.O.V.A. trilogy, and many more games got removed. Why? Because Apple is very hostile to software that isn't kept up to date all the time, this prevents people from wanting to create a library of games, because it'll constantly shrink, being able to keep a game you bought so you can replay it many years later is what gamers want and care about. You cannot do this on the AppStore. It used to be possible to locally back up your .ipa app files and restore them that way, but Apple now excludes them from backups. And on stuff like the iPhone and iPad, everything goes through the AppStore, even restoring them.
>>
>>101211749
those are 32 bit games
>>
>>101211576
hopefully the game will stay the same and run in the same way it does on linux and windows
>>
>>101211767
You've proven my point. AppStore and Apple require permanent upkeep of legacy software. Something game publishers will never feel like it's worth putting money into. And thus pretty much every game you buy will end up going away at some point.
>>
>>101211749
these, que the retards defending apples behavior because they dont respect their mothers investment or software preservation

in addition, apple hardware is still glorified mobile slop. daily reminder, more than 2x discrete gpus are sold each year than apple sells in macbooks and imacs combined. they claim to be "professional" grade hardware, and yet the average consoooomer has a better hardware by virtue of their one time purchase of a ~$300 GPU on Amazon. their gpus, those things apparently BTFOing the PC market in terms of multimedia and gaming, are still worse than a 2 generation old console with an integrated amd igpu. their memory requirements, yea, have fun with 8gbs and a chinkshit ssd that'll die within 2 years from swap thrashing.

nobody outside of retarded pavement "people" and women have ever considered apple products a genuine platform for, well, anything really

>>101211576
kill yourself, marketing troon. i hate tyrone rapes you on your way home from work, you stinky fucking walking curry hole of a tranny. im sorry we fell for your marketing teams open question b8
>>
>>101211850
I'm not too familiar with the subject but I've seen the sims 2 on the appstore a few days ago and thought it was cool until I saw the reviews, all the recent ones (<6 years ago) were talking about how the game doesn't run at all.
I've seen other outdated software in the past too.
so maybe it's the publishers themselves that pull the games out of the store, maybe due to complaints of the people still buying them, rather than apple themselves removing old stuff.
whether or not the OS should remain compatible is another argument doe.
>>
>>101211870
>que
Kek
Also keep seething. Literally nothing you said is true, retard.
>>
>>101211888
Game Porting Toolkit exists solely because of the fact that game publishers are lazy and their money isn't put into maintaining software outside of the release window. At best you get some security updates because the multiplayer leads to some remote code execution, but even then it's rarely done. Game Porting Toolkit is solely there to show porting to Apple hardware isn't too hard, but even then barely any publishers care about it. The only way so far that has demonstrated to actually get games to your platform is by creating the ports for the publishers, like Valve with Proton. Game Porting Toolkit uses some similar functionality but those ports are not intended for the AppStore and only exist for a Proof of Concept, so the publishers still have to put money and resources in getting them to their platform.
That being said, Apple by design changes a lot of stuff under the hood to a point of breaking older software. This is what I mean with them being actively hostile towards software that isn't maintained. Things like Proton would make sure once the game works with any version of Proton, it'll always remain playable using that version. The AppStore does not allow things like Proton wrappers, so your software will eventually get too old. And even if it stayed working, Apple recently added a policy where if you didn't update your app within a year or so, it'll automatically get delisted. Your software/purchases will be gone. Maybe not now, but once you buy a new iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to restore these games to the new device.
>>
>>101211909
shit b8. try harder rajesh. still not buying your ipad with a foldable keyboard
>>
>>101211937
I don't think a rule exist for "wrappers" like you mentioned, considering there isn't a demand for such a rule to exist (this isn't or was a common practice), neither does it need to be a native app (or else web apps would be prohibited as well, which they aren't). I don't mind being proved wrong though.
I don't know about that recent change in policy you mentioned, but you can check out the game I talked about on the appstore (the sims 2, you can view it in your browser). the game hasn't been updated in 4 years, probably.
compatibility is indeed an issue, and I'm not sure I prefer apple's way of breaking things when change is needed, or microsoft's of having 30 different APIs and compatibility hacks coexisting in the same system. I do own both a macbook and a windows desktop, by the way.
>>
>>101211576
if devs were to actually use it, yes.
linux literally has more games now than m series macs
>>
>>101212025
linux doesn't have any m series macs
>>
>>101212008
The policy allows for developers to specify to keep the software up. But if that's not done manually, it's gone.
Web apps aren't allowed. There's Progressive Web Apps for that, the AppStore doesn't allow PWA. At best it allows for shit like React Native, which are not PWA. Wine/Proton provide wrappers to translate system calls, there's barely any system calls, that existing PC games can rely on. It is not allowed to publish software that is intended for a different platform onto the AppStore, Windows games aren't welcome. Game Porting Toolkit only exists there to convert shaders and set up things so it's easier to develop a port of your Windows game. JIT compilation is also not allowed on AppStore apps. iOS/macOS does not ship with something like Wine, so you'd have to bundle all of that, but again that would mean any of the other policies would prohibit the app.
>>
>>101211576
no it's going to port it
>>
>>101212061
that still doesn't explain how the sims 2 is still on the store.
the whatsapp messenger (the old one) is a electron app and it's still up on the appstore to this day.
I still don't believe policies against JIT and stuff exist because there's all kinds of apps like IDEs and playground-type apps meant for education that do ship with some kind of compiler or have any dynamic code execution included.
for the record I'm specifically talking about macos, not ios.
>>
>>101212103
>sims 2
They simply went to the AppStore Connect portal and went through the manual process to keep the app on the store. This is not a guarantee for every publisher, with every game.
>whatsapp messenger electron
Can be on the AppStore if it uses something like React Native
>policies against JIT
There is NO app on iOS that allows for JIT. Developers have the ability to temporarily enable JIT for a specific app they made but that only lasts about 24 hours and needs reactivation. Apple does not want you to use JIT because that could lead to security issues, therefore it's disabled.
JIT on macOS' AppStore requires it to be implemented using a specific framework that limits what you can do with JIT, otherwise it's not allowed on the AppStore. On macOS you can sideload easily though.
>>
File: 1719672606468735.jpg (851 KB, 1440x1920)
851 KB
851 KB JPG
>>101211870
You don't know what you're talking about. The M2 Ultra Mac Studio easily beats the most beefed out PC configuration. Unoptimized software is the only reason why benchmarks show otherwise. If the lazy developers made native Mac versions of their software, PC would be out of business immediately on consumer market. Windows being bundled in every prebuilt in the 90s is the only reason why they have such a massive amount of market share. There is no reason to use PC when Mac exists, the software is better, the hardware is better, the UX is better. Making Mac native games would also bring massive amounts of money to the companies, since Mac users have the ability to pay for their software, unlike Linux users for example. Most of Windows users are broke peasants as well, so no point to cater to that crowd unless you want to lose money as a company.
>>
>>101214097
That is way too many jalapeno
>>
>>101211576
Finally i can play cro-mag rally on my fridge.
>>
>>101214176
4u
>>
>>101214097
at least put cheese on it. like smother it with old cheddar and sprinkle some parm on it, hit it with some black pepper and a twist of lime and you have a proper meal and not just trying to compensate for the blandness with jalapeno
>>
>>101211576
V1 was called game changer, and yet did not get much usage. Same will probably happen with this one - big applause to wet fart.
>>
>>101214249
>smother it with old cheddar
Wow, that sounds absolutely vile. Do you happen to be american perhaps? A slight dusting of parm could work though.
>>
>>101212046
i think it's more important for apple to have great game coverage than for linux to support modern macbooks honestly
>>
>>101214097
Scrambled egg was cooked too fast
For something like scramble you want it rich, creamy and slow.
>>
>>101215680
you didn't understand the joke
>>
>>101211576
unless Applel decide to inject a shitton of money like Microsoft did nothing will change

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.